Ratings: Modern Family's Return Boosts Two ABC Bubble Shows

Modern Family‘s return with fresh fare was welcomed by yes, me, but not inconsequentially some 10.8 million other people. That in turn gave a (too little, too late?) lift to two of ABC’s Wednesday bubble shows.

Bolstered by a non-rerun lead-in, Mr. Sunshine surged 29 percent in total viewers (to 5.9 million) and 22 percent in the demo, scoring a 2.2.

Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Axed? What’s on the Bubble?

Then, come 10pm, Off The Map (4.5 mil/1.5) enjoyed single-digit gains, though the jungle sudser still suffers from a very anemic demo rating. Maybe coconut water can help with that?

Finale Dates Scheduled for Mr. Sunshine, Off the Map and More ABC Shows

Elsewhere on Wednesday:

* American Idol‘s Motown night drew 23.47 million viewers and a 7.7 demo rating, up a bit week-to-week.

* Survivor held steady in total viewers (10.75 mil) but dipped to a 3.0 rating, which by some accounts is an all-time low.

* Over on The CW, Top Model (2.15 mil/1.0) was up 8 and 11 percent, while Shedding for the Wedding was flat at 967,000 viewers and a 0.4 (!!!) rating.

* In the 10 o’clock hour, Law & Order: SVU slugged it out with Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior for bragging rights in total viewers (8.7 mil vs. 8.9 mil), while the NBC procedural bested the CBS spin-off in the demo, 2.6 to 2.3.

What were you watching this Wednesday?

1. Hack says:

Can we just cancel Mr. Sunshine already and bring back Cougar Town? I’m anxious for it’s return!

• Beth says:

Let’s just cancel both while we’re at it.

• AlistairCrane says:

Cougar Town is fantastic and has already been renewed for a third season, hater.

• Jacob says:

Wow. “Hater” ? Really? That’s what you come up with as an insult?
          I wish we could all get along like we used to in middle school… I wish I could bake a cake filled with rainbows and smiles and everyone would eat and be happy…

• sashay says:

I’d be OK if they cancelled both. Maybe they could pick up NBC’s Perfect Couples instead? ABC doesn’t seem to be very gifted at creating sitcoms. (I find Modern Family to be somewhat predicable and only has one character that I like – Phil).

• DJ says:

Mr. Sunshine is very good! You must be a hack!

• Tego Livi says:

Mr. Sunshine is a bunch of good ideas ruined by the casting. I watch it every week (rather than changing the channel after Modern Family) and each time I feel like I’m missing something. The situation is funny, and Allison Janney is pretty funny, but the “appeal” of Matthew Perry completely escapes me. He was never funny or likable on Friends (the only “Friend” for which that is true), and he’s the biggest weak spot on Mr. Sunshine. If they could replace him with someone better, I think it’d be a pretty good show.

As for Cougar Town, I’m ready for it to return. I have to say, however, that I don’t really think it’s a good pairing with Modern Family. If anything, Mr. Sunshine and Cougar Town would be a better team to fill an hour.

2. moe says:

I’m really enjoying “Mr Sunshine.” I hope it doesn’t get cancelled :-(

3. donna marie says:

You can fool some of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time, but you can’t fool all of the people all of the time. Leave Mr. Sunshine alone please, I think it is very entertaining. Modern Family is brilliant and must stay on. If any show should be returned it should be No Ordinary Family for another season. I think ABC is making a mistake if they have intentions of cancellation.

4. AlistairCrane says:

I would like to see Mr. Sunshine get cancelled. It is not a very funny show—I had to quit watching after three episodes.

5. GinaRClark says:

I love Mr.Sunshine! Cougar Town is okay, but I much prefer the cast and situations on Matthew Perry and Allison Janney’s show. An arena is a gold mine of plots. Sitting around playing penny can while sloshed is already played-out.

6. Kate says:

What about bubble show “Better with You”??? I love it and it hasn’t been on in recent weeks and has an April season finale. I hope it comes back!

• Tanya says:

Better with you is such a fun and cute show. I’m afraid not many have taken the time to appreciate its potential though.

• sashay says:

I hadn’t even heard of this show before yesterday! Still don’t know what it’s about or who stars in it. ABC really sucked at marketing that one.

7. Buffy Freak says:

I’d be okay with Mr. Sunshine sticking around if they would use it to replace the painfully unfunny Better with You.

8. Nick says:

Mr. Suncshine is pretty funny, that big guy is a little weird, but the rest of the cast is great.

9. Bella says:

I would like Mr. Sunshine better if they would tweak the characters just a bit to make them more likeable.

10. Brett says:

I couldn’t even get through the MR SUNSHINE pilot. I don’t think Matthew Perry can carry a show. I really wish COUGAR TOWN wasn’t taken off the schedule for this…

and for the people saying it should stay because an “arena has ample plots” or whatever. Uh, I prefer funny characters in hilarious situations as opposed to not funny people in odd situations…in an arena.

11. KSM says:

I have to say, I’d love it if both Off the Map and Mr. Sunshine would find a way to get renewed. Both shows started out kind of slow for me, but I’ve found that they’ve both gotten better over time.

12. Amber says:

I said it last week, and I’ll say it again this week. I was watching Justified, which seems to get no shout out from you, Mr. Ausiello. And incidentally, it was the 2nd best episode of the season so far (best episode being the premiere, of course).

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

1) I write the ratings recaps, not Aus.
      2) I’ve included the excellent JUSTIFIED on my weekly TVLine-Up rec list almost every week, tho not this week.
      3) I’ve done at least two features on JUSTIFIED this season.

IOW, we love JUSTFIED ;)

13. Robbie says:

I really hope they don’t cancel Off the Map!! I really REALLY like that show!!!

14. Venkman says:

“Mr. Sunshine” is a hilarious program! And Andrea Anders? *drool*

15. Jeanne says:

Yay for Modern Family!
    Also, Matt, I love your little allusions and puns. Wordplay for the win :D

16. Marissa says:

I didn’t really like Mr. Sunshine the first time I watched it, but it has gotten better with every episode. It’s worth watching for Allison Janney alone. I would advise everyone to give it another try, because it’s now one of my favorite shows.