Breaking: Fox Renews Fringe for Season 4!

Get More: News, Renewals, Scoop

In any universe, this is the Best. News. Ever:  Fringe has been renewed!

A Fox spokesperson confirms to TVLine that the acclaimed (yet ratings-challenged) drama will return for a fourth season next fall — and a full season (22 episodes!) at that.

The news was announced on Twitter this evening by executive producer J.H. Wyman. “Fringe was picked up,” he wrote. “Thanks Fringedom!”

The pickup comes despite last Friday’s episode hitting a series low 3.85 million viewers. Fox, however, points out that the show still ranks as Friday’s No. 1 series among adults 18-49 and, creatively speaking, it’s never been better.

Fringe has truly hit a creative stride and has distinguished itself as one of television’s most original programs,” raves Fox president Kevin Reilly. “The series’ ingenious producers, amazingly talented cast and crew, as well as some of the most passionate and loyal fans on the planet, made this fourth-season pickup possible. When we moved the show to Fridays, we asked the fans to follow and they did. We’re thrilled to bring it back for another full season and keep it part of the Fox family.”

“This early pickup comes at a perfect time as we start production on the Season Three finale,” added Fringe showrunners Jeff Pinkner and J.H. Wyman. “We join the cast and crew in thanking our loyal fans and Fox for allowing us to have this much fun telling stories we love.”

And with that, TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard has been updated.

Get the party started in the comments section! And while your at it, with Fringe out of harm’s way, how about throwing Nikita some support in our “Renew Our Show” Bracket Tourney? It’s the right thing to do people.

Tags: ,

Comments (186)

• this made my day, my week, my year, my everything <3 <3

Comment by Elin – March 24, 2011 10:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now all I need is a pick up for Chuck and Better With You and I”m set for next fall.

Comment by brynna – March 24, 2011 10:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I´m from Argentina, its 3am, I just come home, couse i had dinner with some friends, but this is the best thing of the night

Comment by marcela – March 24, 2011 10:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This just made my year. Time to break out some champagne!

Comment by Tessa – March 24, 2011 11:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now we can vote for Chuck at Chuck VS Fringe poll!

Comment by nicolas – March 25, 2011 12:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO! Fox is earning back some of the respect it lost when it cancelled Firefly and Dollhoue!”

you forget arrested development, that was a painfully stupid one as well.

Comment by ek – March 25, 2011 01:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i thoguht they said fringe had little to no chance of getting renewed and still it has been renewed before bones which was gonna get renewd for sure!! now all they have to do is renew bones too!!

Comment by emy26 – March 25, 2011 02:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome news!!! Now I just need Off The Map renewed. And I’m set for next season

Comment by Jasna – March 25, 2011 02:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excellent news:)

Thanks, Fox.

Comment by Lalla – March 25, 2011 02:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “…And while your at it, with Fringe out of harm’s way…”

*you’re
    I’m sure you’d like to know about this slip. I know I would. :)

Also.
    FRINGE SEASON 4. Yeeeeeeeesss

Comment by Jacob – March 25, 2011 03:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FRAKKIN FANTASTIC!!!!

Comment by Jeremy – March 25, 2011 03:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now to for Ann Torv to win a much deserved Emmy and all would be right with the world of TV

Comment by Lou – March 25, 2011 03:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This made my whole day!!
    This show is so amazing.. and Fox learned from their mistakes.. maybe!!
    Great news!!

Comment by Lil – March 25, 2011 04:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!!!

Comment by DL – March 25, 2011 04:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    FOX
    FOX
    FOX
    FOX
    FOX
    FOX
    ….WE LOVE YOU, SINCERELY, THE FANS

Comment by HAZEL – March 25, 2011 04:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this is bad new for chicago code

Comment by teniba – March 25, 2011 04:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Best news I’ve had all week! Bless you FOX!

Comment by Becky – March 25, 2011 04:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay!! This is the best news ever !!!
    A full season. I can stop worrying about fringe

Comment by lydia – March 25, 2011 05:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was an atheist until i read this post.

Comment by John – March 25, 2011 05:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best news ever!! Now just make Seth Gabel (Lincoln Lee) a series regular – pretty please?

Comment by Ashley – March 25, 2011 05:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This news has made my day! Woooohoooo!

Comment by RachelH – March 25, 2011 05:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah! However… what would the bracket have looked like if Fringe wasn’t there? Would Nikita still be where it is now?

Comment by Kim – March 25, 2011 06:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Delighted with the news, was worried the show was going to go the way of the terminator tv series, that deseved a season 3, but with fringe safe i can sleep easy!

Comment by John Harte – March 25, 2011 06:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t express my joy, this is fringestastic!

Comment by damian – March 25, 2011 06:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY so happy!!!

Comment by Erica – March 25, 2011 07:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WOOOOOOOOOOO! Couldn’t be happier! \o/

Comment by Delirious – March 25, 2011 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best. News. Ever. Yippee!!!!

Now all my good thoughts are towards Lie To Me, I need this show too!!!!!!

Comment by AmTechFox – March 25, 2011 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wonderful news! I’m so happy.

Comment by Bella – March 25, 2011 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THANK YOU FOX!!! I am so so so happy Fringe is getting their (well deserved) 4th Season. This show is just wayyyyy too good to give up on. And please keep in mind the milllllions of fans abroad, that may not be able to boost the ratings in the US, but love the show just as much :)

Comment by Maddy – March 25, 2011 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Couldn’t be HAPPIER!!!! :o))))))

Comment by FarleyC – March 25, 2011 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES!! Now Chuck, please!

Comment by Steph – March 25, 2011 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will they finaly find a way to use Astrid a lil bit more, we don’t need her to be the hero, but seriously, the nay/confidant/personnal assitant who runs to buy smothies and straberry ice cream is getting old… that is not what she was trained to do in Quantico…

Comment by teniba – March 25, 2011 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • all i have to say is TAKE THAT FRIDAY NIGHT!!!! Normally when shows are moved to friday night, they go there to die… we as fans proved that regardless of what we are doing friday night… we love our fringe!!!!

now lets show Defenders some love and maybe we can make friday a viable tv night again (like back in the day wehn dallas and the dukes of hazzard were on friday.. or even the friday night comedy block that included full house and family matters!)

Comment by janie – March 25, 2011 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes yes yes yes!!! This is the best tv news I could possibly have!!!

Comment by Gaby – March 25, 2011 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • woooooow! fantastic news

Comment by david – March 25, 2011 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Incredibly great news! Fox has shown real intelligence!

Comment by Nobleman – March 25, 2011 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes!!!!! I was figuring we’d all have to sit on pins and needles for the next two months until the upfronts, but I guess FOX realized what we all know – this is the best show on TV!!!

Comment by Bryan – March 25, 2011 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by SarahUK – March 25, 2011 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I literally did a happy dance with one of my coworkers – soooo thrilled about this news! I can finally bury the hatchet with Fox over Firefly :) ….sigh another year of some fine Joshua Jackson AMEN

Comment by Rachael – March 25, 2011 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news. Great show.

Comment by LH – March 25, 2011 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s great news but I just want CHUCK renewed..I’m dying here!!
    Common NBC..Please!!

Comment by Mdz – March 25, 2011 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thannnnnkkk youuuuu Goddddd!

Comment by Dessy – March 25, 2011 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • thank you, Fox! Great news. I’m really happy =))

Comment by Katherine – March 25, 2011 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hallelujah! Now, let’s hope they move it out of the Friday night slot, at least while Idol (uggghhh!) if off.

Comment by Bob – March 25, 2011 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At LAST! Great TV has finally been rewarded: Congratulations Fringe!!!

Comment by Fringe Fan – March 25, 2011 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wonderful news!

Comment by Nina – March 25, 2011 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks, Fox. You are the greatest!!!

Comment by Pat – March 25, 2011 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks Fox you s..ck a little bit less now…

Comment by William – March 25, 2011 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post