Breaking: Fox Renews Fringe for Season 4!

Get More: News, Renewals, Scoop

In any universe, this is the Best. News. Ever:  Fringe has been renewed!

A Fox spokesperson confirms to TVLine that the acclaimed (yet ratings-challenged) drama will return for a fourth season next fall — and a full season (22 episodes!) at that.

The news was announced on Twitter this evening by executive producer J.H. Wyman. “Fringe was picked up,” he wrote. “Thanks Fringedom!”

The pickup comes despite last Friday’s episode hitting a series low 3.85 million viewers. Fox, however, points out that the show still ranks as Friday’s No. 1 series among adults 18-49 and, creatively speaking, it’s never been better.

Fringe has truly hit a creative stride and has distinguished itself as one of television’s most original programs,” raves Fox president Kevin Reilly. “The series’ ingenious producers, amazingly talented cast and crew, as well as some of the most passionate and loyal fans on the planet, made this fourth-season pickup possible. When we moved the show to Fridays, we asked the fans to follow and they did. We’re thrilled to bring it back for another full season and keep it part of the Fox family.”

“This early pickup comes at a perfect time as we start production on the Season Three finale,” added Fringe showrunners Jeff Pinkner and J.H. Wyman. “We join the cast and crew in thanking our loyal fans and Fox for allowing us to have this much fun telling stories we love.”

And with that, TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard has been updated.

Get the party started in the comments section! And while your at it, with Fringe out of harm’s way, how about throwing Nikita some support in our “Renew Our Show” Bracket Tourney? It’s the right thing to do people.

Tags: ,

Comments (186)

• Can I just be honest in saying I cried a little when I read this. Tears of joy of course.

Comment by TheRiffRaff – March 24, 2011 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This totally MADE my day =)

Comment by Starrlight – March 24, 2011 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best decision by fox ever! Love it!

Comment by Kelly – March 24, 2011 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And another big woo hoo! Looking forward to seeing how the story(ies) continue to develop.

Comment by Cathy Lessing – March 24, 2011 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excuse me, I have to go run around outside with sparklers in both hands yelling WOOOOOOOO!!!! for a while.

Comment by Amy – March 24, 2011 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THANK YOU FOR THIS NEWS. AMAZING. THANK YOU FOX!!

Comment by Sally – March 24, 2011 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHOOHOOO!!!!!

Comment by Yumi – March 24, 2011 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay!! Now they should broadcast it on tuesday nights instead of the dead spot on fridays…

Comment by Eck – March 24, 2011 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YESSS :D Now all I need is Supernatural’s official renewal announcement and I’ll have all of my favorites back for another season. Great decision, FOX, thanks for listening.

Comment by Steph – March 24, 2011 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best birthday present ever!

Comment by Kate – March 24, 2011 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about the rest of the shows on FOX???

Comment by Stepha – March 24, 2011 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BEST NEWS EVER TODAY !!!

Comment by christa – March 24, 2011 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Julia – March 24, 2011 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this news just made my nite :)

Comment by Kiki – March 24, 2011 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You just made my week!!!! Can I get a hell to the yes!!!!!! ;)

Comment by Rasvyet – March 24, 2011 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so happy right now. But my happiness will only be complete when I hear that there’s gonna be a season five for Chuck!!

Comment by Stefi – March 24, 2011 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe for ever. Argentina :)

Comment by paul – March 24, 2011 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OMG Otro fan de Fringe en Argentina!? I’m from Argentina too, and I LOVE FRINGE!!!

Comment by Maru – March 24, 2011 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All right! This is fantastic for Fringe fans!

Now all I want is for Chuck to be renewed…and maybe have Chuck put in a better time slot.

Comment by Melissa – March 24, 2011 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the best news today!!!!

Comment by bonespr – March 24, 2011 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the best news!! I just broke out into a spontaneous happy dance reading this whilst in a stuffy dr’s waiting room… Hahaha.

Comment by Kim – March 24, 2011 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Freaking heck yeah!!! GREAT NEWS!!! Thank you Fox for hanging onto a quality show! Squealed like a little girl when I read this and did a happy dance in my living room! Congrats to the Fringe Cast! Can’t wait to see what the new season will hold! :)

Comment by Corinne – March 24, 2011 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is one of the greatest miracle saves in TV history. Thank you Fox. To kill this show right now would have been unimaginably unspeakably cruel, an affront to heaven.

Comment by Mila – March 24, 2011 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YESSSSSSSSSSSS. I’m so happy with this news, really!!!!! If there was ONE show that needed to be renewed it was this one, I was freaking out thinking we would never get to see the story develop more and eventually come to a conclusion. But it seems like FOX has common sense, so just YAY.

Comment by Maru – March 24, 2011 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this comment on Tumblr:
    “Fringe must be a very special show, because this renewal is against all what Fox already did until today. I’m really glad to be alive and see this change of perspective, a true evolution in this business. Thank you Fox, you made me believe again when I didn’t have hope anymore.”

Comment by Dexter Morgan – March 24, 2011 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I Love it the Alternate Universe, Shape Shifters, Observers, Airships, The Twin Towers YES

Comment by Bill King – March 24, 2011 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SHINY!!

Comment by Jen – March 24, 2011 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay….my life will be okay now. Fringe is the best show on network tv, and i can’t imagine it not being in my life.

Comment by Meg – March 24, 2011 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best birthday present ever… Thanks FOX, for having faith in quality television.

Comment by KatieBell – March 24, 2011 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES!!!! Go Fringe….go fringe…go fringe!(dancing)

Comment by Andy – March 24, 2011 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A actual smartly written scripted show get picked up and not replaced with yet another reality show for the brain dead. Man, this makes me so happy.

Comment by WWP – March 24, 2011 08:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you FOX. You’ve earned a field of White Tulips!

Comment by Aimee – March 24, 2011 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Jason – March 24, 2011 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome

Comment by Mike – March 24, 2011 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you, Fox. I will sleep better now that you’ve made the right decision. LONG LIVE FRINGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Michelle – March 24, 2011 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just crapped myself! not literally of course :P

TEAM FRINGE!!!!!!!

Comment by LaurenM – March 24, 2011 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wonderful News!!! (I’m as giddy as Walter was when Belly came back and they were collecting samples together)

I take back almost all of the mean things I’ve said about FOX over the past month.

Comment by Clay – March 24, 2011 08:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY! Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy.
    Thank you FOX. This completely made my night.

Comment by Addy – March 24, 2011 08:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fantastic news!!

Comment by Carrie – March 24, 2011 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is beyond the best news ever. I’m so happy. FOX, you’re totally redeeming yourself after what you did to Dollhouse.

Comment by D. Marie – March 24, 2011 09:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BEST NEWS EVER! Now i want Human Target and Chuck to be renewed!

Comment by Taryn – March 24, 2011 09:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HOLLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cool… someone at Fox understands what quality television looks like. (Huge sigh of relief…)

Comment by sladewilson – March 24, 2011 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah! Finally a quality show with lower ratings gets picked up. Now Move it to Wednesday nights and keep it there!

Comment by jille – March 24, 2011 09:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I literally clapped my hands and jumped out of my seat. I don’t remember ever having done that with any other show (Sorry, Chuck!)

Comment by em – March 24, 2011 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wonderful news!!! Finally some TV karma working in the right direction.

Comment by Jane2 – March 24, 2011 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They’d have to go back in time and cancel it 3 1/2 seasons ago to have another Firefly… Sounds like a job for the freaky pale dudes from Fringe.

Comment by Matt – March 24, 2011 09:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LIFE WITHOUT FRINGE IS NO LIFE….THANK YOU!!!

Comment by jessica cobert – March 24, 2011 09:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best. News. Ever. WORD!!

Comment by C_rlos – March 24, 2011 10:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah Fringe!!!!!!! I am so happy! Thank you Fox, you made my year!

Comment by dana – March 24, 2011 10:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is great news. Now do the right thing Fox and move it off Friday nights.

Comment by altrid01 – March 24, 2011 10:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FRINGE!!!!!!!!!! BEST NEWS EVER! Literally made my month!!!!!!!

Comment by Anna – March 24, 2011 10:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post