Exclusive: Torchwood: Miracle Day Premiere Date and Poster Revealed!

Get ready for some serious fireworks this July.

TVLine can exclusively reveal that Torchwood: Miracle Day — the rapturously anticipated fourth season of the UK phenom — will make its stateside debut on Starz on Friday, July 8.

But wait, there’s more.

Scroll down for a first look at the provocative key art for Miracle Day, which perfectly underscores the season’s explosive conceit: What would happen if the entire human race became immortal?

“Not a single person on Earth dies” Torchwood boss Russell T. Davies recently explained. “The old stay old. It’s great news for some people, but globally it’s an instant population boom. Earth relies on people dying. Suddenly you’re affecting everyone on the planet. That’s where the Torchwood team comes in.”

And what a team it is. Joining Captain Jack (John Barrowman) and Gwen (Eve Myles) on their international crusade — which includes an extended stopover in Los Angeles — will be ER‘s Mekhi Phfifer and All My Children‘s Alexa Havins. The season 4 ensemble also includes Bill Pullman as the Big Bad and Six Feet Under‘s Lauren Ambrose as a no-nonsense PR expert.

Memo to July 8: You can’t come soon enough!

Comments (103)

• Hey, that’s my birthday. That’s a pretty decent Birthday gift.

Comment by JD – March 23, 2011 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s MY birthday, too! Very cool birthday present – agreed!

Comment by Richard Anderson – March 23, 2011 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish I had a time machine so I could jump to July 8!

Comment by devomblr.tumblr.com – March 23, 2011 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait for this! This show has been off the air for too long.

Comment by mary – March 23, 2011 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking forward to it… though it’ll be hard to carry on without the original team. I miss them something awful.

Comment by Ace – March 23, 2011 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • where is Ianto? I know he died but, he’s a Time Lord’s teaboy. Have him lose the weight and bring him back, then I’ll come back.

Comment by jim – March 23, 2011 09:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Lose weight? You judgmental idiot. Torchwood isn’t 90210, it’s a brilliant tv series. Focus on the plot and not the weights of the actors and you might actually enjoy it.

Comment by Em – March 24, 2011 07:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • A Time Lord’s teaboy? Did I miss something? What episode of Dr. Who proclaimed Captain Jack a Time Lord???

Comment by Bob – March 24, 2011 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I think he’s referring to Ianto. I agree, I bought Series 1-3 years ago, and revisit them often, just to watch some darn good tele!!!

Comment by Tink58La – May 11, 2011 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ianto Jones is the teaboy to Captain Jack Harkness who is not a time lord. he was a time agent turned con man from the 51st century that can’t die. so ha

Comment by zackery – April 5, 2011 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • ROFLMAO! Well said!

Comment by Tink58La – May 11, 2011 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • And if you remember, Jack Harkness can not die because of what Rose did in an episode of Dr. Who. She “wished” that he would not die. Before this, Jack was a normal “person” who was a time agent turned con.
          It is also inferred that Capt. Jack Harkness is the “Face of Boe” who is/was the oldest living entity in the universe as said on an episode of Dr. Who (David Tennent).

(wow, I got to get out more lol)

Comment by Debbie – June 24, 2011 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • jacks not a time lord hes a time agent god did you watch the show lol

Comment by daz – April 23, 2011 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “A Starz Original Series” (created by the BBC). The UK better get this before or on the same day, especially since the US now get Doctor Who the same day, despite us having to wait for all US shows.

Comment by Ben – March 23, 2011 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was actually quite miffed. I thought, despite it joining with Starz, it’ll still be BBC… I keep feeling like we’re (UK) going to get pushed into the dark here. Bums.

Comment by H. – March 23, 2011 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Duh- of course Starz is gonna put their name on it- the BBC produced Torchwood for a while, and then refused to pay for another season; Starz is the network that’s producing Miracle Day. Hence, Miracle Day is a Starz production. And what’s wrong with the US getting Doctor Who episodes at the same time? It’s BBC America, so they can control the programming, it’s not like they need to work around network schedules (like why we have to wait a whole year for Merlin because NBC only shows it during summer hiatus). Airing at the same time is a more profitable scheme- I can buy the episode on US iTunes right away- as opposed to it only being offered in the UK store- and cuts down on people watching pirated versions.

Comment by alice – March 23, 2011 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually it’s a co-production…The BBC still own the greater chunk of the series! They couldn’t afford to produce the series on their own, so Starz stepped in to help! So no the UK should still, if anyone is going to see it first, be the first to see it!

As for BBC produced it for a while…3 years is not a while!

By the way…I’m from the US!

Comment by Rose – March 23, 2011 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “It’s BBC America, so they can control the programming” – That’s funny… Do you know what BBC stands for? British Broadcasting Channel… Keyword BRITISH… So BBC America is an American version of the BBC… Funny thing is we have British versions of American channels in the UK and we still have to wait weeks/months to catch a programme from those channels… Even so it’s a show that the BBC still control the bulk of so ergo we should get it at the very least the same time the states get it. It was created in Britain, owned by a British Corporation so why should Americans get first dibs? Oh wait because you’re American! Arrogant, ignorant bastards of the world unite!

Comment by Clare – June 26, 2011 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m hoping we get it up here in Canada on the same day. The previous seasons of Torchwood were a few years behind. Happy it’s an entire season, not just one long extended episode like the last one. More Captain Jack!! Yay!!

Comment by sashay – March 23, 2011 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It is one long extended episode but longer than the last one, making it a bit more than a mini series but not quite full a one as it is 10 episodes not 13. Its not the monster/story of the week either.

Comment by Joshua Cunningham – April 24, 2011 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i can since i can’t afford starz
    majorly major sad :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

hopefully BBC America comes to their senses & airs it at some point

Comment by lee – March 23, 2011 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You can watch Starz streaming live on Netflix if you have it.
      Or you can watch the show the next day on Netflix too.

Comment by Laurel – March 23, 2011 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thanks, that’s great news for us Netflix users! Can’t wait!
        Love my Roku box!

Comment by Sue – March 23, 2011 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Woo Hoo! Thanks! Didn’t know that!

Comment by tjj50 – March 23, 2011 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s awesome. We’re cancelling cable so I was worried about missing this! Thanks for the info.

Comment by wrldtrvlgrl – March 23, 2011 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Really?! Wow, I had no idea. great info!

Comment by Stephanie – March 23, 2011 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wish Netflix Canada had the same lincesnes as Netflix US. Always sad to see (not available) for the “1000′s of movies online” portion. But hey, they just released some new films dated 1990′s

Comment by Matt – March 24, 2011 06:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oooh-Does Doctor Who premiere on Starz, too? Well, if not, it sounds like the Apple Store will have it, from the above, right? But either way,

Laurell, you just MADE MY WEEKEND!!

Good news, good news! I can’t afford cable either, so I was finding out that I’d miss out on the lovely, spirit-lifting premieres of Torchwood & Doctor Who.

But *YOU* changed all that! ‘Cause at $10.50 a month, even I can afford NetFlix.

Whoo, hoooo! Some exciting escapist fun to look forward to!

The anticipation is killing me!
        btw-Anyone know anything about upcoming Primeval or Misfits?

Comment by SmH – April 23, 2011 08:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hallelu !
    Spending the Summer with Capt.Jack !Yay!

Comment by Laurel – March 23, 2011 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cannot wait for this… been so long since we had some Captain Jack :)

Comment by Sarah – March 23, 2011 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad to hear Torchwood is finally coming back, but is it only going to be available on Starz?? That’s a major downer!

Comment by Mykey716 – March 23, 2011 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOL! Sounds like the plot from a Terry Pratchett novel!

Comment by luz – March 23, 2011 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh thank you thank you thank you!!! I have been on the edge of my seat *waiting* for news on the new Torchwood season and knew I could count on you to help! I’ve been re-watching the series to satisfy my need. I’m circling that date in my calendar now! July cannot come soon enough!

Comment by Lauren – March 23, 2011 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will they all be naked like the actors on Spartacus and Camelot now that the show is on Starz? lol. I’m not looking forward to that.

Comment by Michael Sacal – March 23, 2011 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If they are, then that will be the only good thing to come out of Starz taking over.

Comment by Ben – March 23, 2011 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • An orgy scene between Jack, Gwen, and Rhys, lol.

Comment by Michael Sacal – March 23, 2011 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • As long as Captain Jack is in there, I don’t much care who else participates!

Comment by Carla in Houston – March 23, 2011 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yuck, no Gwen! Just Jack and two (or more) other guys. Since Spartacus gives us full frontal male nudity, I hope we finally get to see Jack’s Mr. Pointy this season!

Comment by AlistairCrane – March 23, 2011 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • He’s omnisexual, why just guys?

Now, if they did an orgy with Jack and some aliens who have reproductive organs that are different from ours (not necessarily male or female, but some other kind of gender), that would be both funny and in keeping with what Starz has been doing on Camelot and Spartacus, heh.

Comment by Michael Sacal – March 23, 2011 10:43 AM PDT
          • I don’t care that he’s “omnisexual”, it’s just much hotter to see him with only guys than have some woman come in and ruin it. Yuck, yuck, YUCK!!!!

Comment by AlistairCrane – March 23, 2011 10:47 AM PDT
        • Oh please, not Rhys naked!! Eeek my eyes…

Comment by sashay – March 23, 2011 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • LOL

Comment by Beans – March 24, 2011 06:50 AM PDT
    • They have pretty much always had some freedom to do nudity, violence, and language in Torchwood. I recall some bare bottom and very nice, though none to graphic sex in the first season. Also I recall quite a bit of profanity then too. I think they toned that down on purpose in the later seasons, so I guess they will probably keep it the way it is.

Comment by Ryan – March 24, 2011 06:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This is where British TV has better shows. They are not “hung up” on if it has nudity or language. One of the downfalls of standard broadcast television in the U.S..
        Too many “religious” censors running around making sure we don’t dare see (God forbid) a woman’s breast. We do good to see a tush!

Comment by Debbie – June 24, 2011 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well the poster doesn’t feature Jack !!! What idiot did that !

Comment by Pat Miller – March 23, 2011 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL! I was thinking the exact same thing!

Comment by anna – March 23, 2011 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any word on whether these will be available on Netflix the day after they air like Spartacus is?? I hope so!

Comment by Mandy P. – March 23, 2011 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This can’t come soon enough. Children of Earth was phenomenal. I hope they top it. I’ll miss my boy Ianto though :(.

Comment by John Berggren – March 23, 2011 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I heard a rumour that Jack will give up his immortality to bring Ianto back to life.

Comment by AlistairCrane – March 23, 2011 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Not surprised that those kinds of rumours are flying about. It seems vastly unlikely and RTD has flatly stated that the topic of Ianto won’t be dwelled on full stop, but the man lies through his teeth, so really, anything could happen.

Comment by Lucie – March 23, 2011 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I dont care what jack has to give up to get his teaboy back.

Comment by jim – March 23, 2011 09:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Alistair, I don’t see that happening since(spoilers for Doctor Who follow)

Jack has pretty much been confirmed to be the Face of Bo that shows up in Doctor Who and the Face of Bo is one character I can not see them completely erasing by having Jack turn into a mortal.

Comment by Ryan – March 24, 2011 07:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Actually, Davies said in an interview for this season that the Face of Bo thing might be out the window.

Comment by AlistairCrane – March 24, 2011 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ummmm … Cap’n Jack can give up his immortality any time he wants? But he has said numerous times that he wishes he could just die and be done with it. He is always disappointed when he comes back to life. I don’t think it is within his power to give it up. Or am I wrong?

Comment by K. Lancaster – April 19, 2011 07:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The poster is just as ridiculous as the name.

Comment by Gag – March 23, 2011 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really looking forward to the this new season and very greatful for Netflix.
    Also, is it really a Starz orignial series?

Comment by Kristina – March 23, 2011 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I guess,very technically- it’s original in the sense that this is not a re-airing of a previously produced series- like if Starz was airing “Children of Earth.” But I agree that the phrase is usually associated with a series that was created de-novo for a network. But seeing as this is probably the US poster, and Starz wants to capitalize on viewers who have tuned into its other Original shows, I get why they put that there.

Comment by alice – March 23, 2011 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! This is HUGE and the American actors added to the cast are excellent choices. Can’t wait!

Comment by Torchwood Fan – March 23, 2011 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So they wrote off Rhys too? Love Captain Jack but not really interested in seeing Jack/Gwen happen… ugh.

Comment by Angel – March 23, 2011 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Considering Kai Owen is currently in LA for the next 2.5-3 months filming, he’s not written off.

Comment by Nicole – March 23, 2011 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Although i love hearing some Torchwood news i think the poster could have been better ( way better than that ) i mean , it could have featured some of the actors don’t u think? anyway i expect some of those when 8th July gets closer

Comment by J.P – March 23, 2011 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Children of Earth was s**t. This will be even more awful and stupid. Such a waste of what was once a nice BBC’s show. Pity.

Comment by Gab – March 23, 2011 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I found series 1 to be entertaining and adolescent but hopeful. I enjoyed series 2 to pieces. Then I took the first train out of Torchwood when I (barely managed) to sit through the crap that was CoE. And after shows like Highlander, which I love, it’s difficult for me to take Immortal humans storylines seriously. Besides, Owen, Ianto, Toshiko and Steven all died (2 to show how dangerous Torchwood is and the other 2 to attempt to make Jack look like a tragic hero when it really just highlighted his incompetency as a leader and field agent) and it was too much and frankly, too stupid. I had hopes for another series but nothing I’ve heard (from the plot to the remaining cast to the new cast to the everything about it) makes me at all excited or even interested. In fact, the only reason I even get news about the show is because of a friend who emails me everything he thinks I may like. Action and death for the sake of drama? Give me food poisoning over this!

Comment by Jay Beu – March 23, 2011 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It airs on the 1st of July on the BBC :)
    I’m glad it’s here in the UK first :)

Comment by liddad – March 23, 2011 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • We’re not getting it first. That July Ist thing was a rumour which was later discounted by the BBC. So far there is no air date for the UK

Comment by xtian – March 23, 2011 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m certain that Starz funding also included first run rights. I wouldn’t be surprised if it doesn’t air in the UK until after the full run on Starz.

Comment by John Berggren – March 23, 2011 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • John: do you have a source for that statement that you’re certain that Starz have obtained first run rights please? I’ve not read anything at all that would suggest that.

Comment by Sally Benson – March 23, 2011 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yes, and there’s still no official word on the next-day-Netflix airings.

Comment by Bob – March 24, 2011 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited! I just hope they keep the Doctor Who references—I don’t want them to forget they’re part of a *shared* universe.

Comment by AlistairCrane – March 23, 2011 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Poor poster and dubious premise, but I remain willing to give this a go. Children of Earth was spectacular, though I’d argue with a few of the choices made (e.g. killing off both Ianto and Stephen, just to make Jack suffer/for ratings). I feel as if Miracle Day is going to seem like a completely different programme; it will undoubtedly be great television but I’m not convinced it will be the Torchwood we know and love. However, everything must evolve!
    I have to agree with Ben’s post about the tagline ‘A Starz Original Series’ – really? Bit misleading, isn’t it? Or a downright lie. And yes, the BBC had better get it at the same time or us in the UK will not be happy. The Whoniverse belongs here.

Comment by Lucie – March 23, 2011 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t be quite so frustrated. Starz funding likely guaranteed this production – whereas BBC might not have wanted to foot the bill for another go-round. Better to have Torchwood second than to not have Torchwood at all.

Now if the BBC wants to save FRINGE if it comes down to it, I’ll be happy to let you guys see it first :)

Comment by John Berggren – March 23, 2011 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, I agree, poor poster. Very sad, indeed.

I don’t see why people are upset about it airing in the UK first, although I hope it airs in the UK at the same time, but if not I would just be glad they can continue it with Starz help, period.

I agree with John, if the BBC was like we can help with Fringe, but it will start airing first in the UK — I wouldn’t care because one of my FAVORITE shows would still be coming on — BUT Fringe was renewed for another season yesterday, so yay!

BTW, the Starz original statement peeved me too. I was like WTF!

Comment by Ebony – March 25, 2011 07:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad it’s coming back, love Capt Jack (but wish Ianto was coming too SOB)

Comment by Lesleigh – March 23, 2011 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This cast sounds fantastic. Mekhi Phifer was unceremoniously dumped from “Lie to Me” and that show clealy suffered for it. Without the FBI involvement that show became very stupid and borderline unwatchable. Bill Pullman has done everything (since his beginnings as the worlds dummest criminal in “Ruthless People”), him playing evil is going to be awesome.

Comment by bhm1304 – March 23, 2011 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Torchwood and Captain Jack, but I am definitely NOT a fan of Mekhi Phifer. I hope I like his character on this show, because his other roles have been very unlikable. Thank goodness for John Barrowman. He has charisma and charm to spare.

Comment by mgb – March 23, 2011 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I always thought Barrowman was the weakest actor in the cast. I’m glad Eve Myles is still with the show. I hope they don’t Americanize it too much. A British Sci-fi show just has a charm that our American shows can’t match.

Comment by xyz – March 25, 2011 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While I am looking forward to the show…albeit with some trepidation…that is one stupid looking poster.

Comment by alex_annn – March 23, 2011 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • anyone know whether i can just jump into this without having watched any previous torchwood and still enjoy it?

Comment by brian – March 23, 2011 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m sure you can jump into it without watching previous series since the showrunner has absolutely no sense of continuity.

Whether you’ll enjoy it, that just depends on whether you fancy stories that basically hammer home the notion that there’s no hope in the universe for anyone and those that dump piles of shoddily-written shock-value twists in there for good measure.

Comment by Well.. – March 23, 2011 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes absolutely. Torchwood: Miracle Day is a stand-alone story with, according to the interviews, enough back-story so that you can understand it perfectly well as a new viewer. I think it’s going to be a great ride!

So the poster could have been more interesting, but I’m expecting more promotion and particularly cast photos after the Cannes event.

Comment by Sally Benson – March 25, 2011 04:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Re the claims that the BBC “refused to pay for another season” of Torchwood, they *are* paying, along with Starz. Miracle Day is a co-production between BBC Wales, BBC Worldwide and Starz and the BBC have been firmly in control of all the filming.

I don’t expect the BBC air date to be far off 8 July. We need to be patient. We’ll find out soon enough!

Comment by Sally Benson – March 23, 2011 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am glad I don’t feel like watching and promoting Torchwood anymore because this poster is really not helping.
    My loyalty to Torchwood died with Ianto Jones….

Comment by Pat – March 23, 2011 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY! As long as there’s Captain Jack, there’s Torchwood. Team members die, Ianto isn’t any different from the others. Bring on the Miracle Day!

Comment by Michelle – March 23, 2011 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Put Gwen in REAL danger with REAL consequences (like a broken leg or bloodied face) once in a while and I MIGHT believe that. Not a slight against either Gwen OR Eve Myles but I can really recall only 1 maybe 2 times she got more than the wind knocked out of her. When that kid shot her during the cannibals episode and and the whole Nostrovite. But other than that, she gets by without injury. If the others could get hurt a lot and make it to work the next day, why not her? Unless she’s a Fixed point too, which would be a really pathetic cop-out.

Comment by Jay Beu – March 25, 2011 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well, Gwen sure had a go of it when Suzie was draining her life to stay alive the second time around. I’m not trying to pick a fight, but she waqs certainly in a world of hurt that episode. I think it was, “They keep killing Suzie.” I’d have to get my DVD out to review.

Comment by Tink58La – May 11, 2011 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Used to enjoy TW but without Ianto I’m not interested one little bit :( Can’t we go into a parallel universe with this new season where the original team is still there and just forget the rest ever happened?!!

Comment by Rhian – March 25, 2011 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ooh, yes, let’s! That way RTD could still have his “Gwen Cooper, Lady Extraordinaire” show (which is what it’s shaping up to be. Or maybe the “”Gwen and Rex show” as even Jack is being shifted to the side….

But yes, just change it a bit to make it the whole “We’s all immortals!! Oh noooo!”, give Gwen her speeches about humanity, the baby the close-ups, have the men go all broody and STILL give us Owen, Ianto and Tosh. In fact, they could even have TW be the bad guys and give us darker versions of everyone.

At this point, I’d watch paint dry over the current premise.

Comment by Jay Beu – April 1, 2011 08:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • alice – The BBC did not refuse to pay for another season at all. I don’t know where you got the misinformation from.

The BBC entered joint production with Starz to maximize the amount it makes for the BBC.. Now you may ask then why doesn’t Merlin air on BBC America? For the exact same reason they sold international right to the US SyFy channel. Doctor Who remains with the BBC because they’ve been down that disasterous road before, and besides that show is uniquely British the last thing they’d want to do is butcher it into a mess.

So in a nutshell that’s why they went into a join production with Starz. The BBC own the entire franchise, they have sold nothing..this joint production is money making scheme by the BBC to make more money and to ensure the show continues on. Without further funding that would have been it with season 3..if you remember back before they went into joint production..the BBC had already picked up Torchwood before season 3 had even aired so the theory the BBC refused to pick it up is as laughable as them saying no to Doctor Who or Merlin, it just wouldn’t happen..its a very successful show.

The BBC have confirmed that Torchwood will air in the UK before the Starz presentation each week. The season will be for the usual 13 episodes. The contract with Starz is only for 1 season, if the joint venture fails, then the BBC will become sole makers of the show.

Comment by jason – April 25, 2011 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The UK better get it first! I have loved Torchwood since the beginning and have been eagerly awaiting the new series, it’ll suck if the US get it first. For example, I love Bones and had to wait until January to watch it, because it’s a US show. It’s not fair that the US get our programmes the same day/so quickly after it is shown in the UK and we have to wait months, especially as it is a BBC show, and not a ‘Starz Original’. Yep, they’re funding SOME of it, but it’s not their original, as there have been 3 previous series beforehand.

Comment by Dana – April 26, 2011 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Where do you come off with this crap? Torchwood we didn’t GET It shown here for years, then we had to get it on Netflix or pirated on the internet! Same for a lot of things, Dr Who took ages, and we still haven’t gotten Sarah Jane Adventures over here without finding it pirated on the net and Liz Sladen DIED! You want to compare reasons to moan, I tell you what…you can have all the Bones episodes, House and CSI you like if I can have all my Dr Who stuff first.

Comment by Sean – May 13, 2011 08:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh Jeez, grow up. Where do you come off with your crap! I have an opinion and I’m allowed to express it. You got series 6 of Doctor Who aired on BBC America on the SAME DAY it was broadcast on BBC One in the UK (23rd April 2011). I was purely using Bones as an example. I don’t recall ever seeing an episode of an American TV show on the same day in the UK as it was broadcast in America. So before jumping down my throat, please get your facts straights. I wasn’t being rude, so I don’t appreciate being attacked by you. Oh and you can keep House and CSI…they’re crap.

Comment by Dana – May 22, 2011 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sean – Where does Elizabeth Sladen passing away come into this retort? Have some respect! Seriously! You (apparently) consider yourself a fan and you use her as an object in an argument?! Shame on you!

I agree with Dana entirely. Torchwood is a British invention, as is Doctor Who. It is only right that British viewers get it first, in the same way that American viewers get American shows first. All because the Starz network helped with this new series doesn’t mean you should get it first. Typical American view… we helped therefore we’re more entitled than you are to your television institution! And as for this part of your comment “all my Dr Who stuff”, it’s not yours! And never will be! You merely borrow it. It’s British and we’re damn proud of it. Keep your grubby mits off!!!

Comment by Gwen – May 22, 2011 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So, will I be able to watch it online if I don’t have cable or satellite tv? Does anyone know?

Comment by Karen – May 18, 2011 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • big production cost so the production value will be greater than any previous torchwood show i Im sure, so maybe the show will be less cheez and more appealing to the US Market. trailer looks better as compared to the original BBC, of course I.M.O.

Comment by Mitchell – May 23, 2011 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • there is actually a serious reason as to why this should be aired ON THE SAME DAY as in the us….. in england we have to pay a tv licence fee which funds the bbc…. i only watch 3 bbc programs, if its not shown here first/joint first where is our value for money? … i know that in america you may have to pay to watch it….. but you have the choice to consent to that! we dont !!

Comment by relex109 – June 6, 2011 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I see it as only fair that torchwood is aired in the UK. it originated in britain and was born from a classic sci fi which was created in the UK in 1963. Doctor who has always been ours but i have no objection whatsoever with america watching and enjoying it but i will not stand for you thinking you have automatic rights to enjoy them before us. same with torchwood, i dont see how it is at all fair that you think you should see it before us, when it was the BBC who gave birth to it. Starz only funded towards it with majority of the payment coming from BBC Cymru (Wales) and BBC worldwide, remembering that BBC stands for BRITISH Broadcasting Corporation.so how dare you say that you are entitled to torchwood first, because we are

Comment by Mitch – June 8, 2011 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hey good job with solidarity boys and girls, now quit arguing over who gets to see what first because im sure there are plenty of us out there that either cant afford cable or just have to work that day.

Comment by rocky – June 9, 2011 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just finished season 3 actually just P/O it Jack for making such God awful mistakes. Also I will not be watching if Rhys it written off as Gwen was muito prego, and I would like to see where that storyline goes. Also the episode of who when the Doctor took on the daleks once again with the help of all his companions (during the time of Doctor Donna), they showed clearly Gwen and Lanto working at torchwood, however “Torchwood” never showed any of this. I wish they would at least follow the Who timeline as it is a spin-off. Ugh just super disappointed and frustrated:(

Comment by Jo – July 7, 2011 10:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sheesh….

Read the proper reports! Starz put up the bulk of the money for season 4. The BBC couldn’t apparently justify the outlay to do what they wanted with it. Fox refused to do it so Starz came on board. Their one stipulation was that they got it first though, for that reason those in the UK have to wait I think it is 6 days later to see it.

Aren’t you both lucky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am Australian. Torchwood series one was shown on one of our channels but like with most Sci Fi shows they yanked it off & then showed it at 2-3am on a Wednesday!!! I then had to get my dad in the UK to get me series 2 & 3 as if it was shown in Australia it was only shown on cable which is so horribly expensive that living on a pension I most definitely could never have afforded it. There is not a single word about when or if season 4 is ever going to be shown here. So all your whinging is just plain pathetic.

Yes it is a BBC owned show. Starz are producing this. Producing means they put up the money for it so it’s a Starz production for this series that is all it means.

As for the whining about Ianto. Guess what people die! That is what was shown in CoE. Do a dangerous job & you can die. It was also to show that Jack no longer had a care for the value of a human life & had to suffer loss to realise what was important again.

I was dead pissed off when David Tennant left Dr Who, didn’t want to watch it again. However guess what I did & the new Dr although no David isn’t too bad. There will be new characters in TW that whilst no Ianto will be good.

Finally Jack is not gay. He will sleep with male, female, alien anything that takes his fancy. There was a rumour which likely is true that Fox wanted Jack to be straight & for that reason the BBC refused to work with them as it was an integral part of his character that he sleep with whoever he felt attracted to. So it doesn’t surprise me that Starz then picked it up given that they do not have a problem with mm/ff relationships etc being shown.

Nuff said get over it whingers

Comment by Alison – July 8, 2011 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am just not getting Miracle Day at all. Ok, the world has suddenly turned immortal – why has that turned Jack mortal? Jack is a fixed point in space and time and can’t be changed. Dr Who? Face of Boe anyone??? Why has Gwen turned into Lara Croft? If she and Rhys were in hiding, why hide in Wales??? And don’t get me started on the pace of the episodes – any slower then the viewers will have to be immortal to get to the end of the series!!!! Im guessing someone is after Jack. But didn’t Jack leave Earth after COE? I loved series 1 and 2 because of Owen, Tosh and Ianto. Why kill them off and keep the annoying Gwen “the heart of Torchwood, living with Rhys, sleeping with Owen and lusting after Jack” Cooper. Ianto and Jack had good potential but RTD bottled it. Pathetic and inconsistant writing

Comment by Kira – August 15, 2011 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe the True Torchwood (pre-4) died and was resurrected by Starz – I say close “the Blessing” and let it die with whatever dignity remains. A new series should have come out of it rather than keeping the name Torchwood. You have lost the Torchwood customer base – on purpose, for all we know/care – and the only smart thing you did was keep Barrowman (for without him, more of your former customer base would have left). If someone out there – in the UK (I’m from the US, btw) – could get John to sign up to a new series, I’m betting we would all show up. Starz has killed Torchwood. This undying shadow is living on borrowed time (lovely pun, if I do say so myself :).
    Further, Starz, if I wanted to watch a grand story about non-alien conspiracies, I’d watch a real movie – not a movie spread out across an entire season. To be fair, your ending indicated the “Family” has more to do.
    @RTD: If you wanted to write a movie, then do it and leave Torchwood alone – and if you manage to ruin DW, pray the fans never find you.
    @Starz: Leave out the stupid, trashy sex scenes! They’re crap. Passionate kissing and then FADE TO BLACK! Stick to the story – porn is plentiful and free – don’t waste time with that crap.
    Finally, Jack is attracted to *beautiful* creatures. That includes women – throw in an odd alien, too. The only time Jack flirted with a woman was the chubby maid (someone adds the show ref, please :). Make TW more like seasons 1 & 2 or let it die. We don’t want movies spread across a season – we already have that: they’re called “Movies”.
    Reply to me at bb at akagame dot com.

Comment by Brian – October 25, 2011 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, and as for that who-get-it-first argument: EVERYONE should have access on DAY ONE of release or those left out will simply pirate it.
      You media morons never learn, do you? This is like DRM for games – IT DOESN’T WORK! Increasing DRM only increased piracy – it’s like a game to pirates: More security, more fun! No one steals free stuff – but we pay a premium for bonus content. That’s what home DVDs are really for: selling bonuses. “Thanks for watching our show and increasing our ratings. Buy the home DVDs and watch the Making of …, and interviews of …”
      That’s what we want: free peek, paid exclusiveness.
      Damn, figure it out..