Good Wife Bombshell Fallout: Alicia Crushed! Peter Is Pushed to the Limit! Will's Reaction!

[Warning: The following story contains a major spoiler from last night’s episode of The Good Wife.]

The Good Wife‘s Kalinda once did a very bad thing with Alicia’s husband, it was revealed this week on the acclaimed CBS drama – she slept with the then State’s Attorney, as a sort of “thank you” for his help in getting her identity changed. Alicia is not yet privy to this particular transgression of her husband’s, but make no mistake – she soon enough will be, setting The Good Wife on a shocking new course. Series creators Robert and Michelle King shared with TVLine an in-depth look at where Alicia, Peter, Kalinda and Will might go from here.

TVLINE | That was quite the time-release bombshell you unveiled last night.
Robert King:
[Laughs] It’s nice to hear you put it that way. Yeah, it was something Michelle and I pitched in our original pitch meeting. Then it all became a matter of, “OK, where should it go?” It felt like this year it was a good way to pivot from one part of the story to another.

TVLINE | But when will this bombshell really go off? When will Alicia learn about Kalinda and Peter?
Robert:
You’re going see in the next five episodes the repercussions. If it was a big rock thrown into a pond, there are all these ripples now, carrying their own elements of surprises with them.

TVLINE | As a fan of your show versus a writer, I imagine a part of you had to wince as you laid the foundation for the ruining of the ladies’ bond. I mean, Alicia just last night commented on not having any friends. And in Kalinda she now has one.
Michelle King:
I will confess to some ambivalence.
Robert: [Laughs] Michelle is assigning a very diplomatic word to a lot of time arguing and discussing – not just between us, but in the writers room – about the way to go about this. To us it was built into the original conception of the characters. One of the motivators of that friendship was this feeling of guilt that’s buried deep down within Kalinda, so there was something very sad watching the scene, where you go, “Gosh, that does kind of rip your heart out.” And a lot of what Alicia is about is building on destroyed edifices of her past life, and this seems like one more crushed foundation.

TVLINE | I can’t see how their friendship can ever recover once the secret gets out — let alone how they can work under the same roof.
Robert:
So much of the show is trying to integrate what is expected of network TV, in that there are cases involved, with the character development, so the fact that they work under the same roof forces proximity. You’re exactly right, it’s very hard to see how a friendship comes back from that, but we’ll continue to find out more about the context of Peter and Kalinda sleeping together.

TVLINE | And Peter never said anything, because… well, that’s what he does, keeps secrets?
Michelle:
There was no upside.
Robert: Sometimes TV spoils us into thinking people do honorable things all the time. There has been a lot of discussion in the writing room of, if you did have that one-night stand in your past, do you throw that into the portfolio of sins and hope it passes by? Or do you not? And the feeling was you don’t. That’s part of what Chris Noth is going to be facing in the next few episodes; it really pushes that character to its limit, too.

TVLINE | You called it a one-night stand – so it was strictly a barter arrangement? A fleeting instance of “thank you”?
Robert:
Over the course of two years, we wanted to get the viewer used to Kalinda’s methods – not necessarily the trade of sex for information but the use of flirtation. She is naturally promiscuous, and not in a way the show judges, so when you mix that with someone who was highly sexualized in that Elliott Spitzer way from his work and so on, you get a combustible situation.

TVLINE | If I may anticipate one possible outcome of all this: Can a show called The Good Wife be about an ex-wife?
Robert: That’s a good question, and that’s not even saying where we might go. The Good Wife was always meant to be partly ironic – it’s what people saw when the woman stood by her man. So then the question was, “Is she truly a good wife?” And Alicia, as played by Julianna [Margulies], is showing that there’s a goodness that moves beyond being a wife or not. So our argument would be that as long as the show stays within the realm of what happens to the wife of a politician, the woman who stands by her man, it’s still true to the original concept.

TVLINE | And what about Will’s reaction to this reveal – will it be a measured one, careful not to make him seem opportunistic?
Robert: You actually came up with a very good description for that. The difficulty we’ve run into is a few things, including his sense of commitment to Tammy (played by Elizabeth Reaser). Also there are certain hurdles to any relationship with Will, the main one being that he is [Alicia’s] boss. But the question will be whether this news will reach him and how it will reach him, which is one of the surprises along the way. It’s always fun to see how people react to information that they on one hand should feel compassionate about, but on the other hand they’re like, “Woo-hoo! Party!”

Good Wife fans, what was your reaction to the Kalinda/Peter reveal? For some of you, did it confirm your “worst suspicion“?

1. xav says:

I loved the reveal and loved Kalinda’s face during the whole thing. She cares about Alicia so much that I really, really want the two of them to be able to work past it. Alicia and Kalinda are the true core of the show.

• Liza180 says:

I think they are definitely at the core of the show, but I feel the triangle btwn Alicia, Peter and will is the core. However, this is so devastating and if I were Alicia, I’m not sure I could gt over it. However, this might be the push Alicia needs to become free of Peter and move on with her life. In kalinda’s defense, she is a survivor and will do anything required to survive and this is no different. It will be surprising to find the true reason she changed her identity.

• deena says:

Is it the core though? Peter hasn’t even been in most of the episodes this season and Will and Alicia’s will-they/won’t-they has only progressed a small fraction in 17 episodes so I’m not sure whether you could call that triangle the core. It started that way, I think, but the show has deviated from that as Alicia has become more complicated.

• Carla says:

The love triangle is the bane of the show, not the core of it!
          And now they had to ruin the only good relationship in the show, Alicia and Kalinda’s friendship and make it about the love triangle too. Lame.

• Chica nicka says:

Totally agree…

• Kiki says:

I agree!

This triangle is pretty unbalanced…drags the show down.

• Missyboo says:

Exactly. Kalinda and Alicia sizzle, and so this wrench could be just another method to keep them apart and heighten the tension. Or, it could just be lame.

• s says:

well i disagree… whats the alternative, leaving alicia to ‘stand by her man’?…. no this is 2011… woman have finally found the strength, to walk away from a bad deal…

peter is a bad deal… a broken toy, a tarnish pot, a broken cookie, and like humpty dumpty is never going to change, there is no such thing as peter floric changing his colors…

we need alicia, to turn and walk away, and never look back… and Will needs a another test drive after all these years… its what a woman would do in this century… they need to be current with what women are today… WHOLE….

• nasra says:

I don’t believe that the love triangle is the bane of the show that’s bull,and I believe that if alicia and kalinda’s friendship was so great than why was kalinda lying to her the whole time, that’s not friendship that’s a hoe which is what kalinda is because she knew peter was married I mean who wouldn’t know if their boss was married or not especially such a huge political figure. Anyway alicia needs to leave peter for will and that’s ,that

• Beth says:

Peter’s been in 11 of 17 episodes so far this season. That’s 65%, a vast majority. And from what I’ve been reading, he’s likely to be in most of the remaining episodes this season.

• xav says:

Yeah, but most of his episodes have dealt with his campaign with very few of them relating to Alicia.

• Alicia says:

Agreed; Kalinda’s expression MADE that scene.
      The way Blake was circling her while she was standing frozen in horror, then she utters a “you’re wrong,” which is belied by the tears brimming in her eyes. Such a powerful scene.

• Alicia says:

Also, is it just me, or does it seem possible that Alicia could actually forgive Kalinda? Afterall, they didn’t know each other when Kalinda slept with Peter, and sure Kalinda was the “other woman” but she didn’t have any obligations to his wife (Peter’s the one who’s married), and doing what it takes by any means necessary is kinda Kalinda’s MO.

However, it gets dicey when you consider Kalinda befriended Alicia with full knowledge of her past misdeeds and has yet to come clean. The trouble lies in her keeping the secret. If Kalinda can confess before it reaches Alicia another way then I think there’s a chance their friendship can be salvaged.

• jean10brook says:

Alicia – I totally agree with everything you said in your post and I too thought the exact same thing. This happened quite awhile back and if Kalinda goes to Alicia first and explains exactly what happened and why she did it, yes, Alicia will be very hurt, but she will forgive Kalinda and I think they can get past it. Alicia did not leave Peter before, but, my guess is that this will push her over the edge with Peter (knowing now that he has been unfaithful with more than one other woman). I think she and Kalinda can salvage their friendship, but would hope that she would end it with Peter, once and for all and find love with Will.

• bk says:

Alicia and Kalinda will probably end up together, romantically—
            the series conclusion will have Alicia be the attorney before the Illinois Supreme Court winning the right to same-sex marriage, and then she’ll marry Kalinda and find true happiness——I hope!

2. adam says:

I must be in the minority but i dont think this twist is that big, IMO

• xav says:

As far as in terms of super shocking, not really, but in terms of repercussions for the two main characters of the show, it’s pretty big.

• Anne says:

I didn’t think it was that big either. I’ve suspected from the 1st season that Kalinda & Peter had an encounter or relationship of some sort, but I figured they dropped that angle to go with the girl’s friendship. Title or no title, I hope being a good wife is knowing when to leave.

• Karen says:

I, too, had a suspicion from the first season that they had gotten together or at least that there was more to the relationship. In and of itself, that wasn’t shocking. It was more the way it was revealed, coming from Blake, and how it came to the realization. They did a great job keeping us distracted with Kalinda’s past and husband, so much so that I had forgotten about the Peter connection. Love this show! Looking forward to watching it all play out!!

3. xav says:

I’m gonna need to see a scene where Alicia forces Kalinda to tell her the truth and lay a little bit of her heart out

• rachelle says:

seriously! i know kalinda cares about alicia. i hope we can see her get emotional with alicia about the whole thing, maybe even cry or tear up over it. i know kalinda’s pretty hard, but i seriously think she really cares about alicia.

4. HeartSleeve says:

And all of this is further complicated by the fact that Kalinda is bisexual, albeit for opportunistic purposes. She seems to be more vulnerable with the ladies – her sexual interactions with men *so far* come from a more calculated place.

5. Holly says:

Loved the show, as always, but I didn’t find this to be a huge bombshell shocker. It seems they’ve hinted around at it, to some degree. And didn’t Alicia flat-out ask Kalinda about this, and she denied it?

I agree with xav, the ripple effects will be huge and great fun to watch.

6. Carla says:

I thought it was lame in many ways.
    It cheapens Kalinda (flirting for favors having sex are two different things), it ruins forever the future of the only solid relationship in the show, Kalinda and Alicia’s friendship, it cheapens the friendship by motivating it with guilt.

Anything would have been preferable to that, including the ridiculous plot that floated around a while ago about Kalinda being transgendered but I guess I shouldn’t give them more bad ideas!

It ruins the show so much for me that I kinda hope they won’t get renewed now so that they can’t screw it up any further and leave me with good memories.

7. Dhppy says:

Yay! Now, finally Alicia can corner Will and take him, right in his office!

8. Ingmar says:

I can surely say that I never saw this one coming. Hit me by surprise. Loved it thought. Brings another tension to the show. Huge. And I am realy looking forward to the Kalinda/Alicia situation. Their friendship always has been nicely done and now that will be ruined I guess…I have a feeling Cary will be there for Kalinda :)

• xav says:

Unfortunately. Seeing as how the Kalinda/Cary thing seems so very one-sided. He takes all the risks and gives everything and she just takes.

• Lina says:

I don’t know–I see a Cary/Alicia thing coming. Cary is honorable and at core, his values are more akin to Alicia’s whereas Will is another flavor of Peter–opportunistic and with situational ethics.

• Step says:

I agree with you. Until Blake showed up, I thought Will would be better for her. He is like Peter, he would do whatever except maybe cheat on Alicia. But who really knows with the Peter/Will types.

I am very interested in two things with Will:
          How will his past come back to bite him and how he react to the news about Kalinda and Peter?

Does anyone think Cary will react differently with Alicia and Kalinda once he hears about Petelinda?

9. dlferriola says:

Kalinda needs to tell Alicia what happened with Peter before she finds out from someone else. Maybe then Alicia will throw him to the curb where he belongs & continue with her new life that she has made without him. Her children will understand because their dad will never change.

10. Linderella49 says:

This reveal was no big surprise – from early on it was intimated Kalinda had slept with Peter. And frankly, knowing he slept with Kalinda will only cause Alicia to judge Peter (again) more harshly. There is something to be said for the wife and the other woman getting to know each other and in the end both women are the better for it. I think when Peter has pled his case, it has been for more of a blanket immunity (no pun intended) than for individual sins. In the end Kalinda and Alicia will be just fine. The only thing that will keep me from watching this show is if they isolate Alicia without anyone she can trust. She and Kalinda need each other.

11. Jared says:

ABSOLUTLEY BRILLIANT! I have nothing more to say.

12. orly says:

regarding alicia and peter, i imagine i’m going to watch this play out and end up being annoyed that alicia never did get over peter’s behavior, and she’ll play morally superior to him yet again, which will be followed by punishing him some more.

not very likable qualities about her. either put it in the past as mistakes made and learned from, or, if you’re so unhappy, get a backbone and leave him.

being either too bitter to forgive or too weak to leave isn’t enjoyable to watch.

13. Kalinda says:

You might want to fix ‘Kalina’ in the titlebar of this article. :)

14. Diane says:

Why would Will’s reaction matter? It’s not as though Will is the perfect man and can make any judgements. What about the revelation that he is the one that gave Blake his orders to beat up the judge?
    Please. Alicia has a type, that’s for sure. And Will fits it.

• xav says:

Exactly. I don’t see a Will/Alicia upside. All I see is that when Will’s past comes out Alicia is going to feel betrayed. Again.

15. Babygate says:

Hearing that Kalinda had a fling with Alicia’s husband was shocking, and Archie played it beautifully. But the truth is that I don’t get the sense that they are good or close friends. Professionally, they are tight and Alicia depends on Kalinda and so on, but when you see them outside of the work environment, I don’t see a friendship. Kalinda is very private and guarded and it’s impossible to have a close friendship with someone you don’t even know. You can tell that Kalinda obviously cares about Alicia, but that could be just because of the guilt factor.

• nasra says:

I agree with you completely, I mean kalinda is always so insentive I think so, she can go kiss a donkey somewhere in a desert for all I care cause a friend doesn’t not tell you she slept with YOUR husband. I beleve that alicia needs a new friend someone who isn’t a backstabing dog and that’s why they need more women on the show maybe someone alicia used to know back in the day.

I LOVE WILL AND ALICIA THEY’RE JUST TOO CUTE TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. JayTee says:

I was shocked at how contrived this “big bombshell” was. I like The Good Wife for its proceduarl dramas (which are very thought provoking and involving), but the personal explorations of Alicia’s life are so fake. how convenient that as big as chicago is and of all the women her husband slept with, one would be someone who just happens to work at the same law firm as her and so closely too. Don’t tell me the next bombshell on the show is going to be Diana and Peter had an affair too. As for Will and Alicia, will there ever be a televison show where a professional man and woman work well together and develop a respectful friendship, but do not fall into a sexually tense relationship? Lastly with all the drama the writers throw in Alicia’s life, will she ever have a good, peaceful, and happy day?

17. Rebecca Jill says:

Was this big reveal surprising or shocking? Not at all. If you pay attention to the whole show, it’s hinted at as a possibility, and if this show teaches you anything, it’s to not fully take anything at face value and also not think anyone is all good or all bad.
    I like the one commenter above who said that it does cheapen the friendship as it now seems to be out of guilt instead of full genuineness. But, I haven’t taken everything at face value on this show, so I don’t believe everything upon first mention, just keep open the possibilities, and I’m not even convinced Peter has done all what we’re led to believe he’s done. Will isn’t as good as people see him as/want him to be. I like Peter better, mainly because Will thinks he’s better than he is, but really, Alicia deserves better than both men, and she deserves a better friend than Kalinda, if it is all out of guilt. But, honestly, who really knows what to believe with this show, and that’s what makes it good.

18. CBB says:

What is the backstory of What Blake has on Will? I either missed something or this was a big reveal as well that no one is talking about.

• DotDotDot says:

Yeah, that has been glossed over. Something about theft, Blake covered for him, Will payed it back…then nothing? I love Will so I’m hoping he stole money for some kid’s cancer treatment or something noble :-)

19. dhppy says:

It is on! Can Alicia and Will finally sleep together now? I want a hot angry quickie in the office.

20. hula says:

Not shocked at all at the big reveal. Pretty obvious earlier in the show when they “happened” to mention that Kalinda knew Peter…However am sorry to see what will happen to the Kalinda-Alicia relationship. I love their interaction..For me it is what keeps me intrigued about the show…it’s DIFFERENT..Totally bored on the Peter-alicia-will triangle. Ugh on both guys….Also Love to find out what Blake has on Will.

21. BrianR says:

Well to make it even it seems to me that Alicia should sleep with Kalinda too.

22. Hanna says:

Am I the only one who doesn’t want Alicia with Peter or Will but for her to hook up with Kalinda

• sheri says:

This is TOTALLY what I want to see and what I thought the big bombshell was going to be.

• rachelle says:

lol, i would very much like to see that.

• Rob says:

Yeah, because Kalinda is sooooo monogamous. Great idea! She’s the female version of Peter except for the fact that she won’t commit to anyone. Alicia isn’t a cheap fling type of girl. Plus, she’s shown no indication she’s interested in women, lol!

23. Kelly says:

I don’t see how Kalinda and Alicia will survive this. Alicia has been a stronger character then either a political trophy or the up and coming lawyer with a ” heart of gold”. Disappointing.

24. peternalicia says:

If there is no role for Peter apart from being states attorney, i stop watching. i dont think i can take watching will/alicia having an office romance.

25. Anne says:

I was more shocked by Blake & Will’s encounter! What is Will’s secret past? He stole money from his old firm! Blake covered it up! Was he into gambling, drugs, what? Can’t wait to hear more about his secret!

26. Chad says:

It doesn’t matter what the circumstances were. The fact is Kalinda is a whore. Peter is equally to blame for what happened, but if you knowingly sleep with a married man (whether she knew Alicica at the time is irrelevant) you are a whore. It impacts every other area of your life. It doesn’t matter how many good deeds you do, or how much you try to atone, you’ll always be a whore.

• xav says:

Um no. Whores exchange sex for money. Kalinda is free to sleep with whomever she wants. At the time she had no emotional connection to Alicia. It’s not her job to police Peter’s actions and ensure he adheres to his marriage vows: it’s his.

27. Carolyn says:

I don’t think the Kalinda reveal was terribly surprising…kind of thought we’d find that out she and Peter had slept together sooner or later. On the other hand, Will stealing and having it covered up?! When Alicia discovers this – on top of everything else – will her faith in love and trust be completely crushed? Peter, Kalinda, Will…*sigh*

28. ABigFan says:

In an ideal world kalinda will confess to alicia first- but that will mean having to come clean about everything – the reason why she wanted the identity change and i suspect the secret there is so mortally important to kalinda that the chances of her telling alicia about it is extremely slim. So that means she is going to leave it to chance that Alicia doesnt find out about it – or as human nature being what it is – leave it to the very last moment before she has to reveal why she needed the identity change and why she slept with Peter – which as this is a drama will probably mean she will leave it too late.

And as much as Cary is obviously very protective and attracted to Kalinda i dont know that this isnt going to be the last straw for him – first he loses out to Alicia because she may be sleeping with will, as well as having the connections to get new clients via Peter. Now Peter has pipped him to the post again, by sleeping with Kalinda. Going to make for some extremely uncomfortable dynamics.

All very well to say it all happened a long time ago and much has happened since but emotionally sure both alicia and cary are going to feel betrayed.

29. ABigFan says:

oh, and of cos there is the newly discovered husband of leila/kalinda….

30. Kathy says:

I am missing something here. Why was Blake looking into Kalinda’s background? Was it all part of Bond’s doings so he would know who all the employees were? And what prompted Kalinda to do all the looking into Blake’s background? I am confused!

31. Jeri says:

I don’t know what will happen when Alicia finds out but I think it would be a real insult to her character to remain friends with Kalinda.

I’m glad I am not the writers because nothing good could can possibly come of this unless it destroys the character of the Alicia we have come to know. She cannot let it go with Kalinda or Peter.

This is shocking and a show turning point. Suspecting is one thing but confimation is a whole nother story.

32. Angie says:

Alicia is pregnant.

33. jaded says:

They try to make Peter look like a snake but Will is no saint either! I’m not a Will/Alicia fan so i hope this isn’t a plot device to get them together.. ewww!

34. Step says:

Does anyone forsee anything “happening” to Blake?

35. Fanny says:

I am no a fan of Kalinda. I think her character is unrealistic. Alicia will be very upset about this for many reason but probably not shocked in the end. I imagine she will begin to withdraw from Peter and toward Will, whom I really don’t like.

36. eddievedder says:

Peter sucks and Will is almost as bad. Kalinda/Alicia all the way! Okay, I get it that such a successful show will never allow it’s star to be a lesbian but if they could at least keep stringing us along with the subtext I’d appreciate it. K/A is the only reason we watch the show in this house.

37. Alain says:

French

Si Kalinda a vraiment passé une nuit avec Peter, la révélation n’a rien d’extraordinaire. Je pense qu’il s’agit d’une couverture pour masquer un autre évènement.
    Voilà ma version des faits:
    Kalinda travaillait pour Peter. A cette époque, elle aurait pu surveiller Alicia pour le compte de Peter et la surprendre en train de commettre une faute (adultère?) une “seule nuit”. Pour éviter le scandale, ou pour préserver ses enfants ou son mariage, Peter demande à kalinda de garder le secret. En échange de son silence, Peter l’aide à changer d’identité car elle a un très gros problème. Ainsi, chacun gardera le secret. C’est après la faute d’Alicia que Peter aurait pris une maîtresse (la prostituée), à moins que là aussi, il s’agisse d’un évènement truqué. Dans ce cas, nous allons apprendre pourquoi.
    Si ce secret est dévoilé maintenant, par sa meilleure amie du moment Kalinda qui, en plus, était au courant sans l’avoir jamais dit avant, ce serait un véritable “malheur” pour Alicia. Maintenant qu’elle est une avocate réputée et très sollicitée, sa bonne réputation de “good wife” s’écroulerait.
    Que penserait ses enfants, ses amis, Will, sans parler du scandale public.
    Peter aime de nouveau sa femme parce qu’elle n’est plus la petite bourgeoise effacée d’autrefois mais est devenue une avocate brillante qu’il peut admirer (comme il l’a fait en étant présent lors d’une audience).
    Si Peter remporte l’élection, le secret ne sera pas mis sur la place publique et seulement connu de quelques personnes qui ne pourront pas parler pour différentes raisons. Alicia va donc coopérer avec Peter pour qu’il gagne.
    Que pensez-vous de cette hypothèse? Personne n’a pensé qu’Alicia a pu commettre une faute. Pourtant, tout humain, aussi bien soit-il, a qulque chose à cacher. Pourquoi Alicia échapperait à la règle?
    Là ce serait un vrai rebondissement, un vrai retournement de situation auquels les scénaristes nous ont déjà habitués.
    Ma version vous paraît-elle cohérente, même si elle touche à la belle image d’Alicia que tout le monde admire? Ca changerait de voir toujours Peter accusé.
    Merci de me donner votre avis (en anglais ou en français)

38. tina says:

If they do not bring kalinda back I will stop watching. Today is 4-12-11 and she is not on there. I don’t care if they add new people, but DO NOT GET RID OF KALINDA.

39. Sabrina says:

When did Alicia learn of Kalinda’s real name? I can’t recall what episode that was.

40. Jamie says:

The greatest aspect in the friendship between Kalinda and Alicia is that Kalinda always seemed to have Alicia’s back. The writers of this show did a good job at making us believe that there was more to the story especially because Kalinda appears as sort of an “I have my own agenda, take and use anyone who gets in my way” person. When Donna appeared (Kalinda’s former lover) she expressed a suspicion that Kalinda was in love with Alicia. I think the friendship between them felt genuine and loyal. Now we can assume that her attachment to Alicia had more to do with guilt/regret maybe. Which is why the reality of Kalinda sleeping with Peter seems like too much for their friendship to overcome. Actually I would think Alicia, Kalinda or even the many others in his past would have more common sense than to have much to do with such a sleazy person as Peter…yes, “IN my humble opinion.”

• Anita says:

I agree, I felt that the relationship, revelation aside, felt real and having now seen the finale it is clear that Kalinda not only genuinely cares for Alicia, but has been changed by her. Her conciousness has been awakened and I love it. I love the dynamic that has been injected, even as I am sad to see their friendship crumble, but the tension is so good and I’m really looking forward to seeing them work it out (seriously, they have to) and exploring all the subtle motivations that brought them to where they were. I love the Kalicia friendship, my fave, and why I watch the show :)