Chuck Vs. Parenthood: Vote Now as the 'Renew Our Show!' Semifinals Begin

The ‘Renew Our Show!’ Bracket Tournament Semifinals are upon us, and we’re looking at a full-fledged Scarecrow and Mrs. King situation, with a network of stealthy spies crashing up against a nice suburban family. Or to put it another way, it’s Chuck vs. Parenthood, and only one of NBC’s beloved-but-not-yet-renewed dramas can take a coveted spot in our finals.

To make the final four, Chuck had to vanquish Human Target and Lie to Me, while Parenthood bumped off The Defenders and Brothers & Sisters in the opening two rounds of our single-elimination competition for 16 on-the-bubble series hoping to score slots on the 2011-2012 primetime calendar.

Tomorrow at 1 p.m. ET, you’ll be able to vote in our second ‘Renew Our Show!’ semifinals; on Friday, we’ll have a day of rest; and then on Monday, you can come to TVLine.com to vote for the ultimate “Renew Our Show!” Champion. Click here to see the entire bracket (then click again on the image for a zoomed-in view). And if you’re losing sleep about the status of anything currently on your DVR “series-recording” lineup, don’t miss our regularly updated Renewal Scorecard feature.

But now, you’ve got to put yourself in the shoes of an NBC exec, and choose your most valuable on-the-bubble player: a sexy spy thriller or a nuanced family dramedy. Polls will be open for 48 hours, and once you’re done, feel free to hit the comments to justify your vote, and head to Facebook and Twitter to whip your fellow fanboys and fangirls into a frenzy.

Oh! And to get alerted to all future “Renew Our Show” showdowns, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV. Now what are you waiting for? Get voting!

Comments (170)

• Love love love Parenthood…stuff on this show is so true to life.

Comment by Karen – March 23, 2011 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I LIVE true life. I watch TV to get away from it!

Sounds like you live Parenthood daily, so I’d think you wouldn’t need to watch it for entertainment too.

RENEW Chuck! Please!

Comment by Aunt Paige – March 23, 2011 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BOTH !
    I’m not picking a favorite.
    They should BOTH be renewed.

Comment by Laurel – March 23, 2011 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would love for BOTH shows to be renewed also.

Comment by Lori – March 23, 2011 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Parenthood is more likely to be renewed, so Chuck is in more immediate danger. SAVECHUCK!

Comment by Tharcyla – March 24, 2011 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PARENTHOOD! This season it has become one of the best, most moving dramas on television. No question about this decision.

CHUCK used to be great but has kind of run its course.

Comment by Parenthood Fan – March 23, 2011 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. Chuck feels like it’s running on fumes lately, pulling storylines from other (and better) spy shows from TV’s past. I used to love it, but I can’t even stomach an hour anymore.
      Parenthood on the other hand has so much life left in it, killing it now would be to kill one of TVs greatest family dramas in the last 20 years.

Comment by Jacob – March 23, 2011 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Totally agree. I am a HUGE fan of Chuck and remain loyal to the show, but I think that it’s gone on longer than even the creators anticipated, and there’s just not enough left in the concept to do another whole season.

Parenthood, on the other hand, seems to just be hitting its stride – their writing (and liberal on-set improv, as I hear) is wonderfully real, and the cast is really phenomenal across the board.

Comment by Matt – March 23, 2011 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agre, I mean Chuck has been around for quite a few years. And I mean you don’t really hear about it anymore. I watch Fox8 and I like NEVER see adds about it. I also have a brother who is obsessed with that channel who is older then me. And I asked him about it and he said what’s Chuck ?! Until I showed hima pic of it he was like ohh that? He didn’t even remember or care about it! what does that tell you ?

Parenthood is only just beginning and I think Chcuk should move over for it. Parenthood needs a chance. It deals with real life dramas. And so many people are saying how much it’s actually helped them. PARENTHODO !!!

Comment by LaurenGrahamx3 – March 24, 2011 12:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m hoping for one more season to close everything out. Get Chuck and Sarah married and established. Also – I’m intrigued about this Agent X thing that Ellie is now getting roped into. And if it gets a fifth season, then the show will be able to reach the number of episodes it needs for syndication.

Comment by Emtifah – March 24, 2011 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ah, two of my three favorites! I love both so much, but I have to go with CHUCK because I think PARENTHOOD is more likely to get renewed….

Comment by R – March 23, 2011 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love both…but gotta go with Parenthood!

Comment by Alex – March 23, 2011 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously…it’s all about the CHUCK!

Comment by Mike – March 23, 2011 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Def CHUCK no question about it!!! Chuck FTW!!

Comment by Kayla – March 23, 2011 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck!

Comment by Shelby – March 23, 2011 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck all the way! Way more creative and since the ending is called Chuck vs. the Cliffhanger I better get to see what’s coming up!

Comment by Emily – March 23, 2011 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Couldn’t agree more with you! I will go crazy if they end this season with a major cliffhanger and then they discover that they didn’t get renewed. So CHUCK all the way!

Comment by katie – March 23, 2011 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PARENTHOOD! It has always been great but this season really delivered.. Can’t comment on Chuck (I don’t watch) so of course my vote goes to the Parenthood!

Comment by Xixi – March 23, 2011 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Chuck, but this season just has not been up to its earlier standards. Rather see it go out on a relative high and springboard its stars onto bigger things.

Meanwhile, Parenthood has just hired Steven Weber. That gets my vote.

Comment by AJ – March 23, 2011 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is a tough one, but I’ve been loyal to Chuck from the first episode!

Comment by devomblr.tumblr.com – March 23, 2011 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parenthood!!

Comment by Chau – March 23, 2011 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Umm, let me think about it…CHUCK!!!

Comment by Samantha D – March 23, 2011 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have never watched Parenthood, I guess it is probably a good show. But Chuck has won my heart a long time ago. CHUCK FTW!

Comment by Tharcyla – March 23, 2011 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you have to cancel two of the semifinalist shows, cancel fringe and Nikita and keep Chuck and Parenthood! These are two of my favourite shows on TV!

Comment by Erin – March 23, 2011 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck! It is easily the best show on TV. ’nuff said.

Comment by The Pit – March 23, 2011 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parenthood!!!! Best show on TV. It’s funny, and dramatic and the cast seriously is the best cast on TV!

Comment by mandy – March 23, 2011 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Evil. Making me choose between these two.

Ultimately my allegiances lie with Chuck, but if it comes down to Chuck vs. Fringe for the finals… I don’t know what I’ll do.

Comment by Tim (@rural_juror) – March 23, 2011 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know exactly what you mean.

Comment by Cass – March 24, 2011 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can I just say my bracket is perfect so far :) so lets get to that inevitable Chuck VS Fringe showdown that we’re all waiting for.

Comment by TheRiffRaff – March 23, 2011 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parenthood!!! Love loooove this show! This cast is insanely talented! And Lauren Graham is in it!!

Comment by Izzie – March 23, 2011 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can we just skip to the Chuck v. Fringe finals already?

Comment by Mike – March 23, 2011 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think if NBC doesnt renew P’hood, they’re stupid.
    Not only because we love it and the show is great, but because it’s a pretty solid audience.

I mean, this show can compete head to head in the coveted demos with Good Wife – and that’s a pretty huge deal.
    They’re far away from the almost any other peacock dramas out there…

And i like(d?) Chuck, but don’t you guys think it’s time to let go?

Comment by Alexandre – March 23, 2011 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i’m a ginormous fan of both. this is so hard! someone said above they thought Parenthood had a better chance of renewal. is that true? i thought they were both teetering on the edge.
    i think i have to vote Parenthood just because the writing is so much deeper. but it kills me to not click “Chuck”…

Comment by flutiefan – March 23, 2011 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck is sputtering out, Parenthood gets better and better. No contest, PARENTHOOD for the win!

Comment by Matt – March 23, 2011 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • definitely both…

Comment by Melanie – March 23, 2011 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck!!!

Comment by Darren – March 23, 2011 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t watch either one, but because my parents watch Parenthood I picked that one.

Comment by Jacqi – March 23, 2011 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PARENTHOOD for sure!

Comment by Caroline – March 23, 2011 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is unfair! It’s like Sophie’s Choice. Love both these shows.

Comment by sunny – March 23, 2011 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CHUCK for the WIN! There’s no other cast or show like it on the air and it deserves to stay on for another season. Parenthood can’t decide if it wants to be a comedy or a drama, and frankly, though talented, all the swallowing the actors do while getting emotional is too much for me. Chuck knows just how to balance comedy, action, and heart, and shows like that don’t come around often enough.

Chuck for the frakkin win, yo.

Comment by Jonathan – March 23, 2011 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love both and want them both renewed but if I have to pick one, it’s Parenthood.

Comment by Hank N. – March 23, 2011 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can we just skip to the Chuck v. Fringe finals already? [2]

Comment by nathy – March 23, 2011 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parenthood!

Comment by David – March 23, 2011 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Go Chuck, never even watched Parenthood and never will because I have liked Chuck since day 1, go CHUCK

Comment by Chuck is better then Parenthood – March 23, 2011 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parenthood is too awesome to be cancelled, I like Chuck but Parenthood is much better and they have the better cast.
    So my vote goes to PARENTHOOD!

Comment by L – March 23, 2011 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Two of my very fave shows! But I think I gotta go with Chuck, I’ve watched that from the very beginning :)

Comment by Becca – March 23, 2011 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been hoping for a Fringe vs. Parenthood finale so I have to go with Parenthood.

Comment by Adrienne – March 23, 2011 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • there is only 1 thing better about parenthood than Chuck:

IT IS A MUCH MUCH BETTER SHOW WITH THE GREATEST CAST EVER!!

so, yeah I guess that should persuade me to vote for Parenthood..yes it did!!

Comment by C – March 23, 2011 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck!!!!!!and bring back Kevin Bacon ;-)

Comment by Jeanne – March 23, 2011 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Renew Chuck. Chuck is the only show on NBC that is still on the bubble.

Parenthood is already sure to be renewed anyway, and it is more heavily promoted than Chuck.

I vote for Chuck!

Comment by Melissa – March 23, 2011 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parenthood.

Comment by Linda – March 23, 2011 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SAVE CHUCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Comment by sammy – March 23, 2011 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While I love both, I think Parenthood has a ton of life left in it. It’s just barely getting going, whereas Chuck is close to running it’s course.

Comment by Saracen Riggins – March 23, 2011 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please renew Chuck! Chuck and Harry’s Law are the only shows on NBC on Monday night that are worth watching. The Event and the Law and order franchise don’t even hold a candle to these great shows!

Comment by Melissa – March 23, 2011 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CHUCK ALL THE WAY!

Comment by Sophie – March 23, 2011 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parenthood! It´s so fresh and has so many great storylines going on. Love the cast, love the characters.

Comment by Kary – March 23, 2011 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck…still love it.

Comment by Dauna – March 23, 2011 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My two favorite shows?? Seriously, guys?

I’m only picking Chuck because I think Parenthood’s chances are a little bit better.

Comment by brandy – March 23, 2011 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I used to like Chuck a lot, but now find myself losing interest. Not sure what changed, but I just can’t get excited about it this year. Parenthood, on the other hand, still pulls me in. I look forward to it every week and am sad when each episode is over. Parenthood gets my vote!

Comment by Tony – March 23, 2011 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The thing is Parenthood will be renewed soon enough. Chuck’s future is entirely up in the air. Chuck relies solely on its fans every year to get it renewed so I’m joining the movement to SAVE CHUCK!

Comment by Eugene – March 23, 2011 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post