TVLine Items: Mad Men's Cruel Summer Delay, Mirren Does SNL, and Other TV News to Know

We’ve got good news, bad news on the Mad Men front. Lionsgate TV and AMC are inching closer to a new deal with showrunner Matt Weiner, reports Deadline. The catch is that arriving at an agreement at this late date all but guarantees a delay in the series’ fifth season.

With Weiner’s compensation negotiations continuing into late March, production on Mad Men will likely not begin in time to meet the traditional  summer premiere date. But a pushed-back Season 5 is better than none at all, right?

Elsewhere in TV news today…

• Academy Award winner Helen Mirren will make her Saturday Night Live hosting debut on April 9 on NBC, alongside musical guests the Foo Fighters. Mirren previously (and fleetingly) appeared on SNL as part of an October 2010 digital short.

• Former Weeds funnylady Elizabeth Perkins has landed the female lead opposite Michael Chiklis in the Conan O’Brien-produced comedy pilot Vince Uncensored, says Deadline. Chiklis’ casting is of course in second position to his current gig on ABC’s No Ordinary Family.

• And the REM casting just keeps getting better: Terriers alumna Laura Allen will play wife to Jason Issacs in the NBC drama pilot, per Deadline. Allen was originally cast in the series’ supporting female role, as the son’s tennis coach; that role has now gone to Vampire Diaries werewolf Michaela McManus.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

1. Bee says:

ELIZABETH PERKINS? officially following that pilot now and hope it works out. she’s hilarious.

2. luke says:

how hard is it to say thank you for letting me be on tv, letting me have my own show on tv?!? compensation negotiations my a**, you are lucky you have such a cool job weiner. come spend a day with me in a ditch and we’ll see how you feel about compensation negotiation.

• John says:

Likewise, sir, if you are the person almost single-handedly responsible for moving your ditch-digging endeavor to higher levels, maybe helping book some major corporate ditching-digging digs, and are yourself singled out as Ditch Digger of the Year three years in a row, aren’t you gonna want a raise next time your contract is up for negotiation?

• luke says:

Somewhat nice but a failed insult attempt. Repeating ditch and ditch digging several times to dehumanise what I am and what I do… kinda cool…(btw I’m a carpenter, “ditch” comment was my attempt at a metaphor, I guess I failed). You need to look up “projecting” in a dictionary, because you see I’m happy with what I do, something tells me you are not, that’s why you feel like you need to assume the role of an attorney for Mr. Weiner. I have no problem with people getting a raise but Mr. Weiner does this every year btw… he won’t sign a long term contract so he pulls this same stunt every year before season starts filming. He is not writing this show single handedly, god only knows how many writers they have on working side by side with him. He is replaceable like everyone else, and Mad Men is not a holy grail of television. Nothing is.

3. Laurel says:

No Mad Men this Summer !WTF !
    Now it will be thrown in with the rest of the shows in the Fall.
    When the Walking Dead is suppose to come back !

4. Amber says:

You’re right, a late season of Mad Men is better than none at all. This is one of my top three favorites shows on right now. I was getting a little worried that I had seen the last of Don Draper and friends, and I did not want to be crushed again the way I was when they couldn’t work out negotiations over there on HBO and Deadwood was canceled before its time.