RuPaul's Drag Race Recap: Permanent Record

The legendary Miss Jody Watley and Carmen Electra popped up as guest judges on a lively episode of RuPaul’s Drag Race on Monday that also served as a nice promo reel for the titular dragster’s music catalog. The queens played a round of “RuSical Chairs,” then headed to the studio to cut renditions of Ru’s “Superstar” from one of six predetermined styles: reggae, hip-hop, country, disco, punk, and pop. Below, a recap using the time-honored art of the screengrab.

Alexis Mateo has some ideas for how dishy producer Lucian Piane can calm her nerves -- but none of 'em are fit to be heard on Logo!

Yara Sofia, overjoyed by her 'pop' remake of RuPaul's ''Superstar'': ''My English is very well looking darling!''

Ru With the Dragon Tattoo (Gown)

''Britney wants her old body back,'' says Michelle Visage, checking out Yara's lean chassis.

The legendary Miss Jody Watley is not impressed by Carmen Carrera's lipsync game.

Alexis may have misinterpreted Ru's instruction to ''bring out my girls!''

''These are breasts!'' declares Michelle. ''You don't need to tell me twice,'' replies Ru.

Raja's winning punk look wins her a custom-made gown -- and a possible romp with guest judge Carmen Electra. Carmen

Shangela courted death with an impressive leap-drop-split maneuver in the ''Lipsync for Your Life'' round, while Carmen rested on pretty posing. Wonder how that worked out.

''So sa-a-aad that you're leaving.'' Well played, Shangela.

What did you think of this week’s Drag Race? Who’s your pick to win it all? Sound off below, and for all my reality recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV.

1. judd says:

I think Raja will win..at least I hope so

2. NJ says:

I have been on #teamraja since the beginning and that’s not changing. She’s fab, knows who she is and screw the haters. Love heeeeeeer!

3. mcshame says:

Raja was so great!! I wasn’t expecting any of the tracks to be anything other than passable, but I want to hear the punk one again. So much fun.

4. tuppy says:

I do not understand how people can continue to like Shangela, especially if they watch Untucked. She is the exemplar of the “it’s okay that I’m saying terrible things about all of you because I’m being REAL” school of reality show b****iness. You don’t have to say it to my face, just because you’re thinking it! Thank you to Raja and Manilla for calling her out on this, and on her always starting the let’s-judge-each-other conversation — it’s so tiresome. And HOW DARE SHE read Yara after Yara very aptly, productively, and at Shangela’s prompting, made constructive points about how Shangela could improve her overall look. Shangela is THE WORST, more so because she lacks any self-awareness about her hypocrisy and self-righteousness.

• Liana in San Diego says:

Amen to that! I am so tired of Shangela complaining about everyone else… b u t don’t you dare say anything about her! I certainly hope that she goes home next weekend. She is not that good, really doesn’t know how to arrange hair dos, and her “interpretations” of clothes leave a whole heck of a lot to be desired! Go home already!

5. agrimesy says:

Raja stole the show again. Her punk rocker reminded me of Wendy O. Williams and the Clash! Manila was an awesome disco diva! None of the others made a lasting impression. I was sorry to see Carmen go, but eventually pretty runs out. Shangela has such a BIG ego it’s off-putting. Drag Queens are supposed to be OTT confident, but I think Shangela lacks charisma. She’s just bitchy. Go RAJA go!!

• Daniel says:

I was thinking The Clash, too! It was a good punk moment for a drag queen. This drag race is really heating up. Gentlemen start your engines, and may the best woman win!

6. Liana in San Diego says:

I just got addicted to this show when there were still 11 on. Can’t wait for it to come on each week, and LOVE the “Untucked” show afterwards, even though I’m getting mightily fed up with Shangela. From what I’ve seen, Raja is just the best compared to the others. She is spot on each time, her outfits are fantastic, she really knows how to do the makeup without being horrifically overdone and she is proud of her body and it shows. I really, really, really hope she wins!!! Go Raja!

7. KenBud says:

a little nervous they are gonna pull the same as last year and lead Raja along to the end (like Raven) and then hand the crown to someone else. Raja deserves to win as much as Raven did.

8. lizardino says:

I loved Raja last night (as usual) and Manila, too. I think Yara is adorable and really quirky — she also looked gorgeous last night. I worked with a punk girl a number of years ago, and Raja really reminded me of her (down to the hair!). I was having an 80’s flashback, and I thought Shangela’s comment about Raja wearing flat shoes was hilarious (helloooooo, punk!).

Shangela just makes me tired — she comes across as being quite immature; just really young. The others look tired when they have to listen to her — ha!

9. ali says:

Slezak barely memtions Raja’s excellence,showing a split photo of her with Carmen more prominently featured? And where are all the “ewww man in a dress” Raja haters now? *crickets

10. KevyB says:

This season is annoying the hell outta me. Too many of these contestant have way too much Charisma, Uniqueness, Nerve and Talent, if you catch my drift. It’s one thing to be catty in a funny way, but then there’s Raja and Carmen and Shangela. I was delighted when Manila actually broke the childish schoolyard antics when she didn’t pick a Heather to follow her and she’s off my list. For now. I especially don’t understand why they all think they’re the beautiful ones. Are they so into looking in the mirror that they haven’t seen Alexis? Way prettier than ALL of them hags!

11. John Berggren says:

Guess I’m all alone on here. I love Shangela – if only because she’s not an obnoxious “Heather”. I think those girls are far more nasty and snotty than she is.
    I’d love to see her in a surprise finale with either Yara or Alexis.
    Soooo glad to see Carmen go.

• djm says:

Sorry, but Shangela is by far the nastiest booger on the show. The “Heathers” do not take themselves seriously – and that is what I LOVE about them. It’s a joke and those boogers are just too lame to get it. And what is up with Shangela doing that tired and lame “death drop” during her routine – YAWN. She was WAY better than Carmen for sure, but that isn’t saying much at all. Go Raja!! I hope it’s her and Manilla in the finale with Raja taking it all. But, knowing this show the way I do it will probably be Shangela and Raja in the finale with Raja taking it all – it makes more drama and then just imagine the reunion show.

• Deion says:

You aren’t alone. Shangela has stage presence and while her look certainly needs improving, you want to root for her, because the “Heathers” are catty. Every season it comes down to seasoned Drag queens having problems with the younger, less experienced queen not believing that they deserve to share the stage with them.

12. Patty says:

No WAY Shangela makes it to the finale! I will be so disappointed if she does. While she has a good stage presence (for the most part) her drag look is sub par at best. She looks like my dad in drag if he had never seen a real queen. Even last seasons Tatiana upped her game so she was less messy by the final weeks. Shangela needs to get it together girls!

13. Nina says:

I wish Manila would stop crossing her eyes during her routines.Ugh!
    It’s getting really old fast.
    And enough with the “Heathers”
    Be a star not a catty piece of crap.

14. Holly says:

I hope Alexis wins, seems like a genuine person. I still don’t like Raja’s look…a man wanting to be a runway model.

• Liana in San Diego says:

Duh, it’s called “drag” – of course it’s a man wanting to be a runway model! And so was Carmen Carrera with all the posing, and Manila too from time to time. They all want to be drag queen divas!

15. glen says:

Love those smirks by Shangela when things are going her way, very Alexis Carrington. Raja is going to win, but who cares. This show is great fun.