Exclusive

What Really Happened In the Pretty Little Liars Finale?! Your Burning Questions Answered

Monday’s Pretty Little Liars finale was pretty darn jaw-dropping, but in all honesty, it really left me scratching my head. I mean, a million or so new mysteries arose, on top of all of those old ones that have yet to be fully resolved. So, I did the only thing I could think of: I tracked down PLL executive producer Oliver Goldstick and made him spill. And guess what? He did.

TVLINE | The fans need to know: What the heck happened in that bell tower? Ian is dead, right?
Was he dead? Just because you see someone hanging in the ropes…. Mike Tyson’s gotten up from that! Seriously, yes, he looked very dead to those girls, but there is that remote possibility that he wasn’t and he got away. And much of the second season is predicated on Ian (Ryan Merriman) possibly being very much alive.

TVLINE | OK, but what about that non-confession? Ian said he hit Alison, not that he killed her. Is Ian just a creep and the murderer is still at large?
Ian looks guilty and pretty damn good for killing Alison (played by Sasha Pieterse). Is “A” still out there? You bet. Are “A” and the killer the same person? Possibly.

TVLINE | Care to elaborate on whether or not Ian, Jenna (Tammin Sursock) and Garrett (Yani Gellman) are all working together against the Liars?
There’s definitely more to that story. You’ll find out there’s a history to these people and they go back a long way. They’re not new to Rosewood and their history with Alison is checkered, so because of that they all might know each other.

TVLINE | What about Spencer and Melissa’s car accident? Was it just that, or is there more to who was in the other car? Some fans are speculating that it was Caleb and Lucas.
I will refute that rumor — Caleb (Tyler Blackburn) was pretty far on his journey [out of Rosewood] by the time Lucas (Brendan Robinson) caught up with him, so they were not there that night. We’re not going to go to a place next season where the car accident was anything more than just that. But nothing in Rosewood is ever as it seems, so we’ll probably find out that it was Mr. Hastings driving home drunk or something. [Laughs]

TVLINE | Speaking of the sisters, how does this latest Ian mystery impact their ever-decreasing bond?
Melissa (Torrey DeVito) and Spencer’s (Troian Bellisario) relationship reaches a whole new level of “Who can you trust?” Do you trust family? Or do you trust who has become your family, who you’ve married? The alliances are very fraught by the events of the finale, and the Hastings family is really torn asunder by this whole situation. They have two daughters living in the same house and one says, “My brother-in-law tried to kill me.” And we as an audience know she’s not lying, but how is she going to convince her parents? Melissa is still pregnant and since we’re not moving with great speed, she’s not in her ninth month or anything when we resume the show.

TVLINE | What’s the deal with Noel (Brent Daugherty) appearing out of nowhere in the finale — wearing a suspicious-looking black jacket and after allegedly leaving Rosewood a few weeks ago?
Noel Kahn was suspended from school for a few weeks, but we never said he left Rosewood. He wasn’t expelled, and you don’t get suspended from a town. [Laughs] We never thought he was out of the show. He’s been around the whole time, maybe. It’s hard to remind people of this, but a whole season of Pretty Little Liars is probably about three weeks of school. I know it’s hard to believe because this show is chock full of events and a lot of plot, but it’s really not moving forward that quickly, chronologically. We really are playing the fall of their Junior Year in high school.

TVLINE | Are there plans to continue this “Emily is leaving Rosewood” storyline next season?
It’s very big in the second season. Her mother’s need to want to be with her father on the base in Ft. Hood becomes a real conflict for Emily (Shay Mitchell) in the second season, and she’s desperate to find a way to stay in Rosewood. She goes to some extremes. Paige (Lindsey Shaw) will also still in school and still very much around. Later on in the second season she has quite a nice arc. Right now, there is some Samara (Claire Holt) action happening.

TVLINE | Any details on when/if Logan, Ian’s messenger boy, will return in Season 2?
He will return — maybe not right away, but you will be seeing more of Logan (newcomer Tilky Montgomery Jones). And when he is spotted by one of our Pretty Little Liars, he won’t want to be spotted.

Does that clear things up — even just a bit? Hope so! If not, Pretty Little Liars’ return to ABC Family is right around the corner, on Tuesday, June 14.

1. lorna says:

lucy hale looks about 14, so i have hard time taking her seriously, but i love ezra. ian was miscast i think. i read the books since they first came out. love toby.

• Leigha says:

yah i read some of the books too so i know who killed ali and who a is or at least there supposed to be because a friend who read all the books told me

• Jenna! says:

the books and the show are different.

• Alex says:

ummm… yeah… in the books mona hit alison with a car and was a… in many interviews i have seen (yes i am obsessed) many people like Lucy Hale and others have admitted to this happening in the books and they then say that the tv series is going a completely different way. A is different, and the killer is different. the storyline and some of the characters are from the book, but a lot of the things that happen, characters, and roles are new.

• --A says:

Juts to be claire, Mona do not hit ali she hit hannah and whas –A but they say the show its diferent but the truth i tinck at the end it well be mona

• Sarah says:

Actually Lucy Hale, the girl who plays Aria is 22. And Ian Harding, who plays Ezra is 25. So in reality they are only 3 years apart.

2. lorna says:

plus i feel that jenna isn’t really blind

• Aleah Bozeman says:

I COMPLETELY AGREE! I’ve been thinking that for the last few episodes.

• Leigha says:

i thought that from the very first time i heard the jenna story and saw her because i thought she was a at first

• Macy says:

Personally, I think Jenna is not blind at all. After all, her and Alison planned the entire “Jenna Thing” together, way before the other girls knew about it. Also, if Jenna was blind, how was she supposed to know where Toby’s face was when she slapped him or even where Garrett’s lips were? Something to think about, eh? By the way, are Aria and Mr. Fitz through? God, I hope not. I love them. <3

• Deal With It says:

She has to be blind if she essentially raped that mongoloid Toby….

• preety little fan says:

i know i thought they were going to show that wen hanna slapped off her glasses! omg i was dissapointed the season whas over so quickly! :) <3

• barbara says:

As to jenna– If she were blinded by an explosion-like thing, wouldn’t she have scars? I’m no expert, but I thought that when her glasses were knocked off that it would be clear that she is not really blinded by Alison’s trick.

3. Jeff says:

Wait…who is Logan? Is that the messenger that Ian sent?

4. maj says:

so i’ve seen every episode – but i can’t remember, who is Logan?

5. tkart says:

What’s up with all the ex Young and The Restless casts? Tammin Sursok (Jenna) looks far too old to be playing someone still in high school!

• George says:

LOL…I don’t watch this show, but I DO watch Y&R and I know a lot of people are saying that this whole Lily s/l getting texts from “C” is copying PLL.

6. kim says:

who is logan? i am racking my brain and i can’t remember…

• Rebecca says:

Logan was the messenger that Ian sent to give the girls the money, while Ian was with Spencer. Logan got searched by that police officer at the woods with Aria, Hanna and Emily.

7. PryncessDi says:

I don’t think anything was cleared up but I will be there on June 14th.

8. holley says:

okay i think jennas not blind and i think Melissa helped kill alison cause when the girls found the vid on spencers laptop it showed ian but when he killed her the cam was still at a perfect angle so i think melissa killed her just made it look like ian killed her

• carly says:

I have read the books and Melissa did not kill alison, when the whole thing ends you will be so shocked!

• kj says:

Goldstick has said that while they “adore and play allegiance” to the books, that A and the murderer will not necessarily be the same as in the books, and they will not necessarily follow all the plot points from here on out. So we may all be shocked!

• Leigha says:

i know because in the books ben um emilys ex from awhile ago sees her and maya making out in the photo booth and throws a drink at her and ian coaches one of their sports or something like that the show and the books are already different

• Doggie says:

I read the books too but some people like on the show or producers say that it is not going to be like the books and so far it’s far from it….. Well the people are sorta the same but what’s really happening is different

• gemma says:

they are doing it completely different from the books!! A is not the same person!!!! they announced this a while ago

• Naomi says:

no we won’t. since tons of people have read the books they are completely changing A and the killer and everything. I mean, they already have. Jenna’s not dead, there’s no Garrett or Paige or Caleb or TONS of those characters in the books!!

• Leigha says:

i know because didnt toby commit suicide behind emilys house by over dozing or something and he left her a note in the books

• Sarah says:

Of course they are not going to make the show exactly like the book or no one would watch.

• Alex says:

omfg again, the books go a completely different way! a and the killer are different. in the books, spencer pushes Mona off of a cliff, but that will not happen! Mona is not the killer, but she may have to do with something else.

• Johanne says:

You read my mind!

9. AlistairCrane says:

The actors who play Jenna and Garrett were on The Young and The Restless together—their characters were almost set up on a date by a mutual friend, but they didn’t know he was gay!

I love how almost everyone in the cast has a soap connection. In addition to Jenna and Garrett,

-Nia Peeples was on Y&R.
    -Hanna’s dad was on Days of Our Lives.
    -Hanna herself was on Days (and her father played her uncle!).
    -Spencer’s dad was on Port Charles.
    -Tyler Blackburn was on Days.

There’s more to add!

10. Bonnie says:

Hanna broke her leg half way through the season (so roughly 1 1/2 weeks by his calculation) and it healed in the other 1 1/2 week? Right.

• Rob says:

I think he meant to say like 3 months… The fall season of their Jr year, yeah? That spells Early September/Late August to Mid-November to me. Even so… a broken leg takes awhile to heal… maybe it was just badly sprained?

• Kalie says:

I really hope he meant 3 months because for all of that to have happened in just 3 weeks would be absolutely ridiculous. Aside from Hannah’s leg healing, those girls dated that many different people in the space of 3 weeks?!

11. Alaa Abuali says:

I don’t think that cleared up anything at all! This was the worse finale I’ve ever watched!

12. Laura says:

No DNA testing on the ropes to test if Ian was there. Attempted murder and actual murder accusations are serious enough these should have been done to back up Spencer and the girls claims. Missed that loop big time

• Lambsilencer says:

I think they will address that when the show returns. Remember, in the finale, the police has just arrived, went in, saw that no one was hanging in the ropes, the policeman went out to confront the girls, and a minute later, A sent her latest text. Then the episode ends. DNA testing takes a lot longer than those two minutes.
      BTW, there sure is DNA on that rope – from everyone who ever touched it. So, to distinguish if Ian was indeed hanging there will take some time. And even if they find his DNA – who says he hasn’t touched the rope as some point before that night?
      Still a lot to figure out…

13. hallia45 says:

I’m so relieved to here Paige will be back in S2. I felt like things were left so up in the air with her, and I’d really like to see her continue to grow as a person. She has a long way to go, haha. Emily fighting to stay in Rosewood? What extremes will she go to? Oh geez, I can’t wait! :)

14. lynn says:

I haven’t read the books yet, so I don’t know who “A” is, but I really think this show needs to take a page from The Vampire Diaries and answer some of its own questions every now and then! I saw a headline MONTHS ago that said we’d find out who “A” is sooner rather than later. I guess “sooner” is a relative term.

• Deal With It says:

“A” is what I’d give Aria if I had her in my class.! What What?

EZRA FITZ – YOU DA MAN. Rock on with your sweater vests!

15. Francys says:

So I think Melissa might be in on it. She was awake in the hospital, looking suspicious,and she asked her sister to go back to the church. Ian also said that Melissa wanted him to take care of this. It seems like they set her up.

• LSS says:

I thought the exact same thing! Ian would never have thought Spencer to be at the church after the accident. Unless they planned for Melissa to leave her phone so they could trap Spencer.

• Cristina says:

Well, I dont think Melissa help Ian, because that would be really sick if you wanted to do that to ur own sister, but maybe she is just as mad as Ian or she just wanted Ian to warn her sister but no to hurt her, but who knows, just saying :P

16. Caroline says:

I feel like I watch to many crime procedurals. The entire time that the girls were in the car listening to Spencer being attacked I was hoping that they were recording the call so there would be evidence that they weren’t making it up and that Ian died while attacking Spencer.

• jasmine says:

omg i was thinking the exact same thing

• Laura says:

Me too! I figure they all had advanced phones, easy to record the convo, and after their many attempts to frame people only to have other evidence vanish when needed, i would have thought they would do it instantly.

17. Vanessa says:

The books are different from the show, it’s gonna end different

18. Susie says:

Why does it start on June 14? It’s really long time…

• Jacqi says:

Enough time for Make It or Break It and Secret Life to air their season. I know they both start on Monday March 28.

19. Stephanie says:

I want to know what happens with aria and ezra? Do they get caught. What happens and etc. I truely feel they are meant for eachother :)

• Deal With It says:

Me too!

I feel the SAME way about the 16 year old girls I teach Zoology too! One minute I am discussing giraffes and zebras, the next we’re naked in bed reading Joyce with paper bags over our head.

EZRA FOR PRESIDENT 2012 – EAT A DICK “A”

• Deal With It says:

Me too!

I feel the same with with some of my 16 year old students I teach Oceanography to. Once minute we’re discussing jellyfish and coastal erosion, the next we’re naked in my bed eating pocky with bags over our head.

EZRA FITZ FOR PRESIDENT 2012 – EAT A FAT ONE “A”!

20. Tiffany Darline says:

It sure does bring up alot more questions on top of all the old ones, but alot of things clicked together for me! I’m loving the Spencer/Toby relationship, they are so cute together! Hope things work out with Aria/Ezra, don’t want to see them end! Can’t wait to see what happens with Caleb/Hanna. Lucas is such a sweet friend to do that for Hanna even though he loves her, he just wants to see her happy. June 14th is gonna take a long time to get here, ugh so impatient to see what happens! Wonder if Ian really is dead, and if so, how will that affect the Melissa/Spencer relationship? Did Melissa lose the baby? Grrr so many questions I want to know the answers to!

• Lisa says:

I totally agree with you! I am really loving the Spencer/Toby relationship, and I hope that we get to see lots more of them in season 2. It will be interesting to see how Caleb plans on winning Hannah back…I think she has every right to be angry with him for spying, but I hope she listens to him when he gives his whole side of the story. As for Ian-what a complete CREEP! I really think Melissa has a big part in this. Is she “A”? Is she Allison’s killer? Ian DID/DOES have a thing for younger girls. Melissa probably found out about him and Allison and snapped. I think Ian is covering up for her. Anyway, I’m really excited for season 2…June can’t get here fast enough!

• Laura says:

In the interview it clearly says melissa is still pregnant next season, so i doubt she lost the baby

21. Christina says:

This didn’t clear anything up, it only made me more curious to watch the second season! But it also brings up more and more questions. I think Ian is dead and whoever pushed him off Spencer in the bell tower was A and took him out of there. But whoever it was it seemed like Ian knew him/her. And I don’t think Ian killed Ally, I think maybe he thought he did since all he said was “she hit her head” and then left her wherever for someone else to finish her off. OR he thought she was dead and buried her alive and she died from suffocation. It’s all so confusing!

22. Brooke says:

Who is garrett i forgot?

23. ppl buzz says:

well no one really knows alison (reportably dead) had a twin sister named Cortney. Courtney was crazy and always pretended and wanted to be alsion. Courtney was really the one that would hang out with hannah,spencer, and areia. the reaL alisone really didnt like them. so when courtney was off being alison, alisons and courtneys parents sent alison off to a mental hospital thinking she was courtney. the night when spencer and so called “alison” had a fight about spencer kissing Ian. the real alison excaped from the mental hospital that night too. so that night when “alison” disapeared Ian did not kill her the real alison did because she was ferious that courtney was pretending to be her the whole time. then after alison killed coutney she went back to the mental hospital…thats how it is in the books.

• catrina peterson says:

the show is nothing like the books, they changed a lot and the ending!!! so this may not be true!!! you can’t base your theory off the books because it’s wrong and they came out months ago and said the show is very different from the books!!!!!!!!!

• Leigha says:

i thought in the books ian killed ali and mona was a

24. Isabel Fernandez says:

Boooo whattt aboutt ezraa andd ariaa and thatt jackiee girll!!

• Sherry says:

Remember when she asked Ezra about when he ended it with Jackie… he said, “I didn’t” (I can’t remember, did Exra actually say she did it or did he just let Aria think Jackie ended it.)

25. ELizabeth Tally says:

Did any of yall notice that Spencer called Aria and Spencer dropped her phone? The other girls did not hang up, they even heard Ian talked to Spencer and thrusting her body against the wooden rail. I’m sure they could use that phone call as evidence that Ian tried to kill Spencer.

26. Carrie says:

OMG .. Jenna is Ciana from Hannah Montana (jackson’s girlfriend)
    … Am I the only one that DIDN’T know this, or the only one that is actually freaking out about it? LOL I hope not

27. bella says:

Ok so im confused about aria and mr. Fitz. Was he cheating on her? Was he going to work at the school jackie worked? Wtf was she doing at the mixer?

• Ingrid says:

they’re aloud to date now…b/c hes changing skewl to teach about poet and jackie was there b/c it was like a meeting for all techers

• danii262 says:

So it’s okay for them to date now, even though she’s 16 and he’s what 30?

• Lucas says:

He’s only 22. That was his age in the books and I once read an interview with Oliver Goldstick (if I’m remembering correctly) where he said Ezra’s 6 years older.

Regardless, Aria is 16 and has reached the age of consent in PA so she could indeed date a 30 yr old if she wanted to.

28. jules says:

I think that Ian was not the killer. I think that Ian is pretending to be the killer so that he covers somebody else’s work up. Maybe Garrett’s or Jenna’s. Did you guys every realize that this is a video that they saw that sealed the deal that he was the killer for them? That video could of been edited to make Ian look guilty. Maybe the same person who is framing Spencer and Toby is framing him. Anyway, did you guys see that they were never in the “shot” (filmmaker term for view) together? It was always just Ian or Alison in the view of the camera. What I don’t get about the Jenna and Toby situation is, why didnt toby tell the police about Jenna a long time ago? If he did that, maybe Alison wouldnt be dead. Maybe Toby knew what Jenna was doing and wanted that. Maybe he was in on it too, and using Spencer.

• Santana says:

To me Ian pretty much just cleared his name as Ali’s killer by what he told Spencer, Ian didn’t even know how Alison was actually killed. Of course now he’s tried to kill Spencer so he’s still dangerous and stuff. I think Ian thought they had a different video, like the one of him and Ali on the night she died. And Ian thought he had killed Ali, but she wasn’t dead, so someone else actually killed her. I think that Garrett was the person filming them all those times. Ali said she could rely on the guy next door or something when she was talking to Jenna in that flashback, and Garrett lived pretty close to her (as we saw when he was talking to Emily), also when Spencer was saying “guys someone is watching us” in the diner, it turned out to be Garrett, which I took as a clue as well.

29. Abby says:

Pretty little liars, what can i say! It is the best show ever!! (: to me i think that jenna is blind…the girls did “the jenna thig” in the first season but i dont think ian is dead…if heis i will be shocked! Omg i swear to god if they ever stop this show i will legit die!!!!<3

30. Dontae says:

id still like to know about the hooded person that pushed Ian.
    was that actually “A” and if so does Ian know who that person is because he fully asked the person why they were there before he went head first down into the tangled ropes.

31. Ather says:

I thought one of the Liars mentioned several months having passed since Ali was found, and then.

32. Jen says:

Disney owns ABC Family, so you might notice a lot of PLL’s characters were once on Disney.

33. Abigail says:

I am so confused… I know that Ian was Not dead… He looked like it… or –A helped Ian out and lifted him before the cops came… I think Jenna killed Ali. Well, I don’t know though… I wanna know more about Ali. I want the premiere to come to answer some of my major questions..

34. malene says:

wow really and no thats not enogh im despeate 2 know who “a” is and why is he/she playing this stupid game on the 4 pretty little liars!!!!!!!!at first i thought it was that allison was not dead and shes the one thats sending those messages btshe is dead and i saw the last episod but i dont get it still y did they kill her!!!!i need all these questions aswered plz by anyone im really desperate and im sure u guys know the answer plz reply to me ill appreciate it!!!!:)

35. PLLover says:

1: i don’t think Jenna’s blind…. 2: first Hannah got hurt in the end of the 1st season and now Spencer got hurt so i think in the 3rd season,, either Aria or Emily will get hurt.

• Kelsey says:

Emily has already been hurt… remember when she fell during homecoming and Toby had to take her to the hospital then go on the run

36. miranda says:

i just know when i find out who a is its gonna be the furthest person from my mind and honestly i was thinking it was spencer for the longest time..

37. Kimberly lynn says:

Alright so I understand that a season is three weeks in a semester, how does someone break a leg and magically it’s fixed in an episode then?

38. PPL#1FAN says:

im in love with this show Im only 12 years old and im obbsessed!!
    I LOVE ARIA!!!

• Pretty little liars#1 fan for life says:

IM 12 YEARS TOO.AND IM OBESSED WITH THIS SHOW AND .DO U WATCH DEGRASSI.THE 10YH SEASON.I DOOO.PLZ WRITE BACK

39. Maddy says:

There are so many Aussie actors in this show! Jenna, Samara. I love it! :)

40. Samanta says:

We don’t know if he was cheating but he lied to her and told her jackie was in some other country. He’s going to work at hollis, the school arias dad and jackie both work at. He knew she was working there too, but he lied!! So yeah since she works there jackie was invited.

41. laurabeth says:

i have a feeling since the tv show is not going the way the books were that mona will def. not be “A” and someone else will be because in the books toby was supposed to be dead already and not have a relationship with spencer and ezra was supposed to be caught too and sent away. also it was supposed to be in middle school that alison went missing. i like the t.v. show but i wish that they would have kept some of the same storylines as the books.

42. -Aly says:

I think the person who pushed Ian was Toby??? He told Spencer he would “be there for her” if she needed anything…

43. Lizzie says:

i am glad that the show is different than the books cause if they were exactly like the books then toby would be dead and i dont want that and if you have any questions about the series THEN READ THE BOOKS!!!!!!! spencer/toby + <3 = TOGETHER FOREVER!!!!!!!!

44. Jessica says:

I haven’t read the books but I don’t think they would follow them with the series because then it wouldn’t be as suspensful!! Everyone would already know what was going to happen. I freakin love this show..can’t wait for next season!

45. Selena says:

Ok, so we have now found out that the books and show are different, but then if you read the books (which I have! I love PLL!) it throws you off! Like Issac from the books (Emilys old boyfriend) is not in the show and i would like to know what connections do Ian, Garett, and Jenna have to Ali and how come Toby doesn’t know any of this, he lives with Jenna! Can’t wait for next season!

46. Pretty little liars#1 fan for life says:

I LOVE THE SHOW.BUT HERE IT GOES.ONE HAS ANYONE THOUGHT THAT MELISSA HAD A MYSTERIOUS LOOK ON HER FACE.PLUS I KNEW AND FOUND THAT JENNA MITE NOT BE BLIND.AND IF NOTICED THAT EVERY SINGLE FINALE ONE GIRL GETS HURT AND ITS CRAZY.FIRST HANNA THEN SPENCER.NOW WHO’S NEXT.AND MONA IS DEVIOUS SHE DIDN’T TELL HANNA THAT CALEB HAD CAME BACK TO GIVE HANNA THAT LETTER.AND THIS IS MIE FAVORITE SHOW IN THE WORLD.I LOVE THE DRAMA.AND CANT WAIT TO SEE IT JUNE 14TH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PLZ WRITE BACK IF YOU AGREE WITH MEEEE.

47. Megan says:

Omg I can believe Ian killed himself…….or do you think A killed Ian and played it off to look like Ian killed himself! Something to think about. But what did the letter say. I know he admitted that he killed allison but wwhat else did Ian want every everyone to know or think…… And what is going to happen with the wedding ring?

48. lily says:

i read the book so the wedding ring is sent to spence unknowingly in her bag and melissa wil find it a get mad at her

49. daniella says:

Ȋ̝̊̅ don’t =-? Jeanna is blind ĄЙd̶̲̥̅̊ seriously idont like what is going oN.between Fitz ĄЙd̶̲̥̅̊ aria

50. amanda says:

Great Show… wish the breaks weren’t so long. What’s up with Jason and Spencer’s Dad? Wonder if Spencer’s Dad is covering for for his family – assuming Melissa has something to do with Allison’s death. I think we will learn who A is, but we won’t ever really find out who killed Allison. I think at the end of the show.. the final finale it will be a cliff hanger and we will never really know who killed Allison. But I wonder who “A” is/are… I think it’s multiple people.