One Tree Hill On the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

By mid-May, broadcast TV bigwigs will be making tough calls as to which shows will return for the 2011-12 season, and which won’t. To complement the “Renew Our Show!” Bracket Tournament, TVLine is singling out select “bubble” shows to survey their prospects. Next up is a series that might be looking at its last branch: The CW’s One Tree Hill.

THE SHOW: One Tree Hill (The CW)

THE TIME SLOT: Most recently, Tuesdays at 8/7c.

The CW’s Nikita On the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

THE CASE FOR KEEPING: Ask yourself this (and try to answer honestly): Can you imagine The CW without the long-running One Tree Hill? I thought not. The series has become a network staple, surviving countless time slot-swaps over eight seasons, yet still managing to deliver inventive story arcs for a majority of its ever-expanding cast. No, it never reached the level of acclaim achieved by its WB predecessor/inspiration, Dawson’s Creek, but the fact remains:  Tree Hill has successfully reinvented itself not once but twice during its run. First, it braved a four-year time jump (avoiding what oft can be trite college stories). Then, come Season 6, the show overcame the hurdle that was the departure of core couple Lucas and Peyton (played by Chad Michael Murray and Hilarie Burton). The series’ other original players — Sophia Bush, Bethany Joy Galeotti and James Lafferty — remain interesting and relevant in this tale of small-town heroes. And who wouldn’t like to watch Naley’s new baby grow up, or witness what’s ahead for Brooke and Julian (Austin Nichols)? After devoting eight years to the series, it’s safe to say fans would stick around for one or two more.

ABC’s V On the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

THE CASE FOR CUTTING: Even at its best, One Tree Hill is simply not the show it once was. Things haven’t been the same since Murray and Burton exited, and while the show was able to somewhat smooth over that bump in the road, it did so by adding a few too many newbies — several of which add little to the canvas (and sometimes nothing at all). Additionally, the series that once prided itself on young adults “living the dream” now seems to insist that in life, nothing is simple or ever going to go right. That isn’t a particularly fun message week-in, week-out. Since the characters we truly care about are right now in a good spot — and (SPOILER ALERT!) with the Season 8 finale set to feature multiple time jumps, effectively advancing big stories — it may be a prudent time to say our goodbyes.

Hit the comments section to make your own case for keeping or cutting One Tree Hill.

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Cancellations, Commentary, Fall TV Preview, Keep Or Cut, Renewals

1. Tiffany says:

I Love This Show Its Needs A Season 9. Its The Best Show Around

2. Christine says:

Although OTH had differed from what it once was, it still remains a great series. I agree that without Lucas and Payton, the show lacks that little bit extra; but that is no reason to cut the series. This show has gotten me through some pretty rough times in my life. When my world felt like it was crumbling down, i would lose myself within the series; often times i felt a part of it. In a way, it helped me forget about the stressful situations within my life; whether it be for an hour a week episode, or a few episodes via: DVD. I own every season released of OTH and plan on purchasing season 8 once it, also, makes it to DVD. I lost my teenage years during my second year in high school when i became a young mother and i guess in a way, i relive those years through past series’. I have endured some of the same struggles the characters in OTH have and seeing them overcome obstacles and struggles often times, gives me hope that in time, my life will fall into place as well. OTH is the only television series i have watch from the very firs episode. I know if this series were to go off air, there would be a lot of pissed off people lol myself included.
    Still think Lucas and Payton should return for a few more episodes; especially if OTH is being cancelled.

3. Tiffany says:

I think we should keep for at least a “final season”. I think the show has always had some kind of drama no matter if lucas and peyton where there or not. It all has been good from the start until now and change happens in everyday life so what is so wrong with changing the series a little bit?? It was nice to see haley get back to her music in season 7 and then go downhill and come right back up. Dealing with something a lot of us will have to deal with one day if we have not already. I say keep it for another season and bring back (most) of the original cast for “one last ride”

4. Sarah Bradford says:

I think OTH has not been the same since Chad and Hilary left but it over all is a good show and has had some good drama moments and still I continue watching it every week. I have watched it since the beginning and I love my tuesday nights to OTH. I really hope that you keep it going and give brooke the family she deserves!!

5. Steph says:

I would love to see another season…this is a great series…
    Yes, I loved Lucas and Peyton…and would have liked for them to stay on the show…or return for an episode or two…but even though the show still survived…
    As long as Nathan and Haley are in it and of course Brooke…this show can still go on!!! =)

6. One Tree Hill LUVR says:

I would absolutely love another show, but not if Bethany Joy Galeotti is going to leave to raise her baby. It’s had too many newbies introduced already and I would hate to see James Lafferty and Bethany Joy Galeotti leave like Chad Michael Murray and Hilary Burton and never see them again, even if the next season does mainly focus on Brooke and Julian. It’s had a good run and if Bethany Joy Galeotti decides to stay then I think another season should be made.

7. Randi says:

I disagree about new characters: some of the old need to go.
    Alex, Quinn, and all of the other recent characters rock.
    Chase, Mouth, Millie, and, I hate to say this, Mia, need to go.
    I think the show is better of without Lucas, though I miss Peyton. Lucas’ drama was always annoying to me and to see any competition for Brooke’s heart with Julian would have just made me mad because Julian rocks.
    Also, time warping at the end of the season will be great, though I don’t know what they’re going to do about Jamie? he’s still a little kid (the actor) and I’d hate to see him replaced. However, to watch Jamie, Lydia, and Brooke/Julian’s baby (if they get one by end of season) in high school would really revitalize the show in a way that could bring it back to it’s roots. Also, anyone who misses those Dan Scott, Nanny Carrie, etc. stories is ridiculous because they just made everyone miserable and I’d rather have the characters deal with realistic issues and not crazy people.

8. Eileen Irons says:

I LOVE One Tree Hill, please do not cut the show next year. I really enjoy the characters and the stories behind them. I do still miss Lucas and Petting and watch reruns just to see them both. Please keep the show going.

9. Jeremy S. Goins says:

I say that it needs one final season to end things on a good note. I’d hate to see them just end it by doing several time jumps on the final episode I mean wth. Plus since Chad and Hillary wasn’t able to make it this season they could possibly come for a couple episodes of the last season and bring baby Sawyer with them.

Either way, I will miss this show. I feel like I grew up with the characters b/c I was in high school when this first started.

10. shl says:

I hope they do one more season as long as the orginals are still there. I would hope they give us a final season that we know about. I like the fact that this show has grown with their caracters. This show started showing relationships between friends and how to navigate High school well now they are older so we are seeing the realtionships between friends and life.
    I am personally sick of the whiners crying over peyton and lucas. I like that even best friends can grow apart..that is life.
    I Love Naley, I think they should spend more time with them but I have enjoyed some peace for them…they needed it.
    I must say once they cancel this show…I will be very bored. I am sick of reality TV and a lot of the new shows brought on are not keeping me interested. This show has me week in week out even on the slow episodes I want to re watch. You will always have filler episodes. I think Mark and the writers can keep us tuned in for at least a final season.
    HOWEVER if Nathan and Haley wont return…CANCEL IT NOW.

11. Morgan says:

I don’t want it to go away :'(