One Tree Hill On the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

By mid-May, broadcast TV bigwigs will be making tough calls as to which shows will return for the 2011-12 season, and which won’t. To complement the “Renew Our Show!” Bracket Tournament, TVLine is singling out select “bubble” shows to survey their prospects. Next up is a series that might be looking at its last branch: The CW’s One Tree Hill.

THE SHOW: One Tree Hill (The CW)

THE TIME SLOT: Most recently, Tuesdays at 8/7c.

The CW’s Nikita On the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

THE CASE FOR KEEPING: Ask yourself this (and try to answer honestly): Can you imagine The CW without the long-running One Tree Hill? I thought not. The series has become a network staple, surviving countless time slot-swaps over eight seasons, yet still managing to deliver inventive story arcs for a majority of its ever-expanding cast. No, it never reached the level of acclaim achieved by its WB predecessor/inspiration, Dawson’s Creek, but the fact remains:  Tree Hill has successfully reinvented itself not once but twice during its run. First, it braved a four-year time jump (avoiding what oft can be trite college stories). Then, come Season 6, the show overcame the hurdle that was the departure of core couple Lucas and Peyton (played by Chad Michael Murray and Hilarie Burton). The series’ other original players — Sophia Bush, Bethany Joy Galeotti and James Lafferty — remain interesting and relevant in this tale of small-town heroes. And who wouldn’t like to watch Naley’s new baby grow up, or witness what’s ahead for Brooke and Julian (Austin Nichols)? After devoting eight years to the series, it’s safe to say fans would stick around for one or two more.

ABC’s V On the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

THE CASE FOR CUTTING: Even at its best, One Tree Hill is simply not the show it once was. Things haven’t been the same since Murray and Burton exited, and while the show was able to somewhat smooth over that bump in the road, it did so by adding a few too many newbies — several of which add little to the canvas (and sometimes nothing at all). Additionally, the series that once prided itself on young adults “living the dream” now seems to insist that in life, nothing is simple or ever going to go right. That isn’t a particularly fun message week-in, week-out. Since the characters we truly care about are right now in a good spot — and (SPOILER ALERT!) with the Season 8 finale set to feature multiple time jumps, effectively advancing big stories — it may be a prudent time to say our goodbyes.

Hit the comments section to make your own case for keeping or cutting One Tree Hill.

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Cancellations, Commentary, Fall TV Preview, Keep Or Cut, Renewals

1. Alex says:

Keep It …I love One Tree Hill its my all time favorite show!! i really really really want a season 9!!!

2. Rebecca says:

I’ve been a fan since day 1 and my heart and soul will always be with OTH but season 8 should be it’s last. It pains me to say and my old self would’ve fought tooth and nail for another season every year, but OTH is just NOT the same. Some of the storylines now are laughable and you can tell the actors and actresses just aren’t in it like they were seasons 1-5 and some of 6. It’s gone downhill, and fast, and I’d love to see it end with SOME dignity before Mark writes more psychos, toaster strudels, and “hero” storylines into our televisions. LONG LIVE OTH SEASONS 1-5!!!

3. Victoria says:

I Love the show One Tree Hill. I still think it is amazing as it was before Lucas and Peyton left. I would love for the series to continue a couple more seasons!! This is my favorite show and always will be. I couldn’t imagine it not on tv anymore. When The OC was canceled they realized it was a big mistake and I think if OTH is canceled it will be a mistake to!

4. Luciana says:

Even if its the last, LET IT BE A SEASON 9!! ;D

5. Kaley_T says:

OTH is my favorite show of all time. I watch the seasons over and over again and even though they’ve gotten cheesy at times and are nearing the end… It’s just not time to let it go!

OTH FOREVER!!!!!!

6. Linn says:

I wouldn’t mind another season, but seeing Bethany and Sophias Twitter accounts, they don’t seem motivated for another season. Joy has got a baby, James has some new projects going on, as does Sophia. So ratings or not, I don’t think the cast would want to do another season… :(

7. Meg says:

I say at least give us one more season! =), than we know it will come to an end and can prepare ourselves ;) I love this show!
    SEASON 9 =)

8. Matthew says:

We need a season 9!!!!!

9. Erika says:

I love watching One Tree Hill and think that it should stay around for some more seasons. There’s always more stories that can be told. KEEP IT!

10. kro says:

season 9 ! cause i want to see brucas back !!!!!

11. Jenny says:

I’ve watched this show from the beginning. There are a lot of newbie actors on this show that bore me. I would like to see the “original” cast members along with their “kids”. I’d like it to stay on but somethings got to change. If you get one more season Mark, I ask you to bring it back to it’s roots & capture the small town heart of the show that I remember. God bless!

12. beth says:

I thought that show was cancelled years ago!

13. Zoe Wilson says:

I think they should defiantly carry on and do more series. I really look forward to all the episodes and still watch the re runs. I miss Chad & Hilarie though but everyone on that show is amazing. Don’t stop OTH!!!

14. Stephanie says:

I would love to see another season and then some i love this show its one of my favs and it is still good so i say give it another season if just one more give it time to end things good. so at least one more season :)

15. Melanie says:

I’ve been watching One Tree Hill since it first started and its a really good show, Mark comes up with great story lines and I believe, One Tree Hill deserves another chance. There are many shows out there that shouldn’t be on but still are, those shows that need to go really do suck! all about sex vs one tree hill isn’t. We want it to keep on going! Yes, with the departures of Chad Michael Murray & Hilary Burton, we lost a lot of ratings, comn! those guys were on the show since it all began. But, we were introduced with two great people Robert Buckley and Shantel, they just started with these series, their doing an excellent job, don’t let this be their last spot.

I agree with this comment given below:
    It deserves a “last season” like Smallville has/had. I’d love to see the show end right and give it a good send off.

Smallville is ending with 10 seasons, there’s no comparison with smallville and one tree hill, i’m also a fan of smallville but more of one tree hill. I believe there’s more hope for this show.

#OTHseason9

16. kysmith says:

I love the show. I personally think they did us all a favor when peyton and lucus left. if it has to end it Hope they end it the way they began it!!

17. Paul says:

One Tree Hill is a shell of its former self. And it pains me to say it because I’ve always been a big fan of the show. But for anyone who disagrees, please look at any episode even as late in the series as Season 5 and compare it to a current episode. There is no comparison. The heart of the show is gone.
    I am one who does in fact think that the show should have stopped after Season 6. It was a nice wrap-up for all the characters and we need to admit that the departure of Chad and Hilarie has left a noticeable hole. It’s not the same guys.
    The story lines now feel trite and forced and it almost seems as if they struggle just to fill each episode with material. Now we are subjected to watching the girls bounce around town as superheroes? And Quinn now needs to sing a song to her breakfast pastry? It’s embarrassing and beneath the quality of what the show once was.
    I vote to finish off Season 8 and bow out gracefully. It’s been a good run guys and I give you props for making it this long. It’s time to say goodbye.

18. Jon says:

No doubt the show as changed. That’s what you get when you lose several characaters like Deb, Karen, Whitey, Dan etc and lose the backdrop storyline of being in HS and what comes with it.

S5 and 6, if you remember, tried to keep The Ravens aspect intact but it just wasn’t working. The show needed an actual new start which was the point of the time jump.

BTW people are totally forgetting how the early days were. S3 was the best season out of the first 4. S1 was not that good and didn’t get interesting til mid way. S2 and 4 became a night time soap and horribly written at that. The Jules/Keith storyline had not an ounce of originality and consisted of every textbook soap aspect. Literally, Jules/Keith wedding made me feel like I was watching a soap.

I remember when the basketball stuff was something fans complained about as being their least favorite…and now apparently it was some Golden aspect of the show.

I love how Mark has changed the style of writing and the feel. For example, how the show makes fun of itself for the way it used to be (I.e. see the wedding episodes of s5 and s8). I always said that the feel of s7 felt different, more like The OC. And that’s bc it got wway from the ridiculous soapy writing and feel. I guess it felt so soapy before bc everything was made out to be so dramatic. Where The OC played out and felt more true to life in how they interacted yet with drama still happening. That’s how OTH has become too. Feels like more everyday, realistic, but with drama happening. Not making everything dramatic. IDK.

Anyway s5 and 6 sucked. S5 had nothing. Usually when you watch the premiere and then the finale you get a sense at how so much has happened in between. But in s5 the beginning to end nothing happened really. It all felt the same. Just one big storyline of leyton coming together.

S6 felt SO stale. Like when Lucas and Nathan visited Keiths garage it was supposed to be some emotional moment. But it just felt so stale, tiresome, been there like.

S7 was the best of the adult yrs. James finally got a good storyline again, the new characters were fresh and came with a backstory and personality, and it was fun to watch again.

Id rather the show not have the same backdrop storyline as the early days and be refreshed and fun again over feeling the same but feeling so stale and been there.

19. Vikiiiii B says:

I think you have to continue it, cause this is the best show I have ever seen in my life it’s amazing and you know what I’m not miss Chad and Hilarie just a bit. It maybe not the same but not worse without them! and Julian is a better character than Lucas and in season 9 you can bring them back on the screen, I mean Chand and Hilarie with the little Sawyer…… So please go on!!!!!!! <3

20. Vikiiiii B says:

I think you have to continue it, cause this is the best show I have ever seen in my life it’s amazing and you know what I’m not miss Chad and Hilarie just a bit. It maybe not the same but not worse without them! and Julian is a better character than Lucas and in season 9 you can bring them back on the screen, I mean Chad and Hilarie with the little Sawyer…… So please go on!!!!!!! <3

21. dee says:

this show has inspired so many of us, its one of the only good things left in peoples lives. there is only ONE tree hill, its our home. season 9 better happen, mark seems as if there might just be one and they are promoting the finale as the SEASON finale. not series. get involved with the campaign to save the show! call tweet email the cw and tell them how much we love this show how much it has inspired us. who wouldnt want to see naley raise their baby girl, see some naley drama, and there cute romantic scenes. we didnt get too much this season from them so far, due to pregnancy but i would love to see something like s7 with haley being depressed again, and nathan stepping up and saving his wife. i want to see brooke and julian start a family, and have their own drama. i want to see where clay and quinn will go from here, alex and chase, mouth and millie, skills scenes. i want to see more drama. and the show we love. i want to see romance, and life lessons and this is why season 9 needs to happen!!

22. Alexandra Applebaum says:

there needs to be a season 9 its the best show ever

23. Trey says:

for real people need to get over it LUCAS ANS PEYTON have been gone for almost 4 years get over it…and the show must be doing something right if it’s still surviving even after they left so please KEEP ONE TREE HILL or else the CW network will definatly be gone thats pretty much the only show worth watching on there so PLEASE KEEP IT at least til season 10 so they have make there 200th episode and plus it an even number.! :D

• Jamie says:

I disagree about OTH being the only show worth watching on the CW. There aren’t a lot of good shows on the network in my opinion, but I sure as hell wouldn’t count OTH as one of the ones worth watching. There are at least 4 other shows on this network I would list as worth watching before even considering OTH being one of them. And, all those shows are on at the end of the week – the Thursday and Friday night lineups. I only tune into the CW for the Thursday night lineup myself – nothing else on this network is worth watching in my opinion.

24. TheOfficeFan says:

One Tree Hill is special. Its a great show and one of the things i love most about it is that its not gross to watch…Take Gossip Girl there is such trashy stuff on that show. One Tree Hill deserves another season. People still watch it. I think they need to bring back Lucas and Peyton though.

25. Rachel says:

Okay i totally agree with the idea of having one more season while knowing this is the end.. It could a short one like s5!
    But i think a 8 season series deserves a decent goodbye!!
    Always have been and always will be a OTH fan<3

26. Jamie says:

End it – the show has sucked since season 5 in my opinion. Even season 4 was just okay in my opinion. The last REALLY good season of the show was season 3. Dragging it out to season 9 is just pathetic. It hasn’t been a good show with good storylines in years – it’s not nearly the same show it was when it started back in 2003.

27. Mel says:

I say bring it back for an officially announced last season. The show deserves proper closure. The lastseason should focus on the core 3 characters and throw in Quinn and Robert Buckley’s character as well as Mouth and then ease off the others no one cares about… We want Naley and Brooke

28. Char says:

Cut. I used to love OTH but I only watch it out of, well I don’t really know what anymore. It’s done. It’s been done for awhile. Put it out of its misery.

29. Taylor says:

KEEP ONE TREE HILL!!!! One tree hill still could go far! Mark is an amazing producer and has giving all the fans what we have loved and wanted to see for 8 years! Yes it has been a little different without Chad and Hilarie but its still great! One tree hill has been my favorite show for 8 years and no other show has changed that! The show deserves to get a spot and if it just had to go then it needs to be able to have a last season! James, Joy, and Sophia deserve it! There is only One Tree Hill! Nothing else is like it!! KEEP!!!!

30. Sarah L. says:

I would be sooooo sad without OTH, but maybe it is time to go. I was already sad when Lucas (CMM) was written out. And I love Julian, Clay, and Quinn and of course Jaime, the show just isn’t the same!!!

31. ashley says:

i think oth deserves one more season :) i love the new story lines nd the new cast works perfectly with everything.

32. Lauren says:

I agree that season 7 wasn’t great, mainly due to the loss of Leyton, and the sudden surplus of newbies, however I’ve really gotten to like some of the new characters (mainly Alex – I love her relationship with Chase) in season 8, and the episode of Brooke’s bachelorette party was hilarious, definitely one of my favourites. I’ve also come to like the growing bromance between the guys (Nathan, Clay, Julian, Chase and Mouth).
    I can’t really imagine it can go on too much longer, since all the characters are starting to settle down and so on, but I think we (the dedicated fans) and the brilliant cast deserve a proper final season.
    So, CW, please give us one last season, let them go out with a bang and make the final season one to remember. Don’t just pull the plug all of a sudden.

33. Lauren says:

Also, (forgot to mention in previous post), that I think they should try to bring back some of the old characters, even if just for one more episode. Like Dan, Deb, Karen, Skills, Rachel, Chris, maybe even Bevin and Tim! Just so we can see them one last time, and say goodbye properly. Also would be great if they could convince Chad and Hilarie to return, briefly, just so it can end the way it began, with the original cast.

34. cortney says:

OTH should definitely go to a season 9. They should cancel Nitka and keep OTH. Many fans would be disappointed if it ended now. They can’t end it this early when they just introduced new cast members last season (season 7). I know many fans would love to see Naley’s kids grow up and see what happens with Brooke and Julian’s baby. I think they should have 10 seasons!

35. Kayla says:

One Tree Hill is my favorite show and will always be my favorite show. I can’t even imagine the show not having another season. It has so many followers and fans that love it. The cast came into our living rooms and have become almost like family to the fans. I personally want to see Nathan and Haley’s family expanding with another child and see Brooke and Julian with their new child. Quin and Clay have an amazing relationship as well that I always love to watch. The cast is amazing and the show is amazing. It would be devistating to see the show go!

36. Brooke says:

KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <3 oth!

37. Lily says:

Huh, so they want ot cancel OTH?
    Really, Oth did his time but, just like the journalist has said, who doesn’t want to see Naley’s baby growing up? I think it can long at least one season,just to see what Oth’s life will be

38. Stephanie says:

I would love to see another season! Oth has been my favourite show since 2003. It would suck to see it go so soon.

39. Tony says:

Keep!! Best show ever! Love it, I’ve watched all epsiodes 3 or 4 times and i never get tired of it.

40. Nolan says:

Listen, ONE TREE HILL is in fact the best tv show to ever air! I am thrilled it has made it this far and Mark Schwan is a genius! Could you think of a way to get by LUcas and Peyton leaving? Or them jumping four years into the future? I think not! His genius is astounding. The script is awesome and the acting is perfect! Yes there have been to many newbies but as long as the three originals (brooke hailey and nathan) stay i’m so hoping for another season maybe even 2! I can’t believe their even considering cancellation but to break millions of peoples hearts would be tragic. We owe oth an amazing ending and i for one think that if it ends there will be heck to pay!

41. kayla says:

Yesss I believe we should have 1 more season also! Keep it either mtw though…if its moved to Friday I think you will lose a large portion of the audience which probably ranges from 18 to 25 that go out on Friday nights. Also to send the show off right I believe lucas and peyton should definately be involved in at least a few episodes that would be great!

42. Missmacca91 says:

I cannot believe that anyone would want one tree hill axeing it is the best tv series I’ve seen in a long time. People have different opinions, of what should happen but I still think one tree hill has loads left in it. I will be disappointed if one tree hill ends this year in fact I would be devastated I absolutely love it and wish for it to go on for many years to come I love it I love it I love it!!!!!

43. Patience Fitzsimmons says:

DO NOT GET RID OF IT! I know sooo many people who would be devastated if it goes off air. I love this show and it actually teaches lessons. I have been watching it since the beginning. I do think that it slowed down when Lucas & Peyton left. So bring them back. The show was great with them & it was fine without them. Just please don’t get rid of it. I would die. It is my favorite show and I own every season. It doesn’t deserve to be cut. The actors deserve to keep their jobs as well. Let them decide if they want to end it or not. They practically are a family now.

44. Lorraine says:

Yah, def. deserves a final season. I will admit, the show has been slowing down but it is still far more successful than “Nikita” or “Hellcats” and it does deserve a final season in order to wrap up the story lines. We’ve come this far and there’s still some unanswered questions that need to be resolved. I am all for a season nine!

45. NICOLE says:

I LOVE OTH I WOULD LOVE ANOTHER SEASON AND FOR ALL YOU SAYING CUT IT IF YOU DONT LIKE IT THEN DONT WATCH IT.

46. PAP says:

Cancel it! Stopped watching when Lucas left. I agree that Dan was an awesome actor. However, the writers went to far when he killed his brother. He was still able to keep my interest, though, because Johansen was a great actor. Chad Murray was the reason for the show in the first place, and, when he left, it was over for me. So, end it!

47. Alexandra says:

End it. This show has its good says far behind. Its good name doesn’t deserve what OTh became two years ago.

48. nickldug says:

I agree!!! Get over that Lucas and Peyton are gone. The show is fine i think . Like some have said you can’t stay in high school forever. It would be nice to see Haley and Nathan’s baby grow and see happiness for Julian and Brooke. I watch this show every season I’m si ready for season 9!!!! And more yes but if and when you decide to end it , end it with a good note. You cant stop it now that would just be wrong.

49. Tracy says:

KEEP IT
    I lost interest a couple seasons ago and have become readdicted recently. Give us at least one more season!
    ~Love OTH in NC~

50. Debbie says:

I love this show still no matter what its a good show one more season i think so we can see what happends and to see the baby grow up a little so ya i think one more season