Fall TV Preview

One Tree Hill On the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

By mid-May, broadcast TV bigwigs will be making tough calls as to which shows will return for the 2011-12 season, and which won’t. To complement the “Renew Our Show!” Bracket Tournament, TVLine is singling out select “bubble” shows to survey their prospects. Next up is a series that might be looking at its last branch: The CW’s One Tree Hill.

THE SHOW: One Tree Hill (The CW)

THE TIME SLOT: Most recently, Tuesdays at 8/7c.

The CW’s Nikita On the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

THE CASE FOR KEEPING: Ask yourself this (and try to answer honestly): Can you imagine The CW without the long-running One Tree Hill? I thought not. The series has become a network staple, surviving countless time slot-swaps over eight seasons, yet still managing to deliver inventive story arcs for a majority of its ever-expanding cast. No, it never reached the level of acclaim achieved by its WB predecessor/inspiration, Dawson’s Creek, but the fact remains:  Tree Hill has successfully reinvented itself not once but twice during its run. First, it braved a four-year time jump (avoiding what oft can be trite college stories). Then, come Season 6, the show overcame the hurdle that was the departure of core couple Lucas and Peyton (played by Chad Michael Murray and Hilarie Burton). The series’ other original players — Sophia Bush, Bethany Joy Galeotti and James Lafferty — remain interesting and relevant in this tale of small-town heroes. And who wouldn’t like to watch Naley’s new baby grow up, or witness what’s ahead for Brooke and Julian (Austin Nichols)? After devoting eight years to the series, it’s safe to say fans would stick around for one or two more.

ABC’s V On the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

THE CASE FOR CUTTING: Even at its best, One Tree Hill is simply not the show it once was. Things haven’t been the same since Murray and Burton exited, and while the show was able to somewhat smooth over that bump in the road, it did so by adding a few too many newbies — several of which add little to the canvas (and sometimes nothing at all). Additionally, the series that once prided itself on young adults “living the dream” now seems to insist that in life, nothing is simple or ever going to go right. That isn’t a particularly fun message week-in, week-out. Since the characters we truly care about are right now in a good spot — and (SPOILER ALERT!) with the Season 8 finale set to feature multiple time jumps, effectively advancing big stories — it may be a prudent time to say our goodbyes.

Hit the comments section to make your own case for keeping or cutting One Tree Hill.

Comments (187)

• i would like to see more of the show. i’ve really liked this year, although the last few episodes stalled a little, it always makes me laugh, does a great job of making me cry (in a good way) and has characters that i love and want to keep seeing what happens in their lives.

Comment by Liz – March 22, 2011 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It should have ended last year when CMM and HB left the show. That episode was so well-written and tied up all the loose ends that it would have been a nice, tidy series finale.

I’ve been with the show since the first episode on the with Lucas and Nate on the river court but the show is NOTHING like it used to be and its truly lost its heart along the way. I love the cast, writers and producers, but after a while, its time to step back and bow out gracefully than wait until its dumped mid-season due to budgets and low ratings. Let it go out the way it deserves at the end of this season.

Comment by Kim – March 22, 2011 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Season 9 for OTH!!!!!this show before all the others always and forever!!!

Comment by Cecile – March 22, 2011 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • keeeeeep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    come on guys!!!
    save oth!

Comment by maria katos – March 22, 2011 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve watched one tree hill since the first episode. Not only would I LOVE to see many more seasons, but I think the show and the CW owe the loyal fans who have supported the show through its many transitions at least a real “final” season (or even more :)). Definitely keep!!!!!

Comment by Kelsey – March 22, 2011 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One Tree Hill needs a proper send off, like any other long-running tv show. We need one final season, where we know it’s the last season, to come to terms with our favorite show ending. I grew up with OTH. I’ve been watching since it started, when I was in 8th grade, and I’ve loved it ever since. The cast is amazing, the plots are relevant, the story lines are creative – I can’t not have OTH in my life. I’ve watched every episode millions of times, and the actors are some of my heroes. They’re not all over the media like the young actors in other popular shows. sophia Bush is one of the best young actresses on television, and such an inspiration. I can’t wait to see what she does after OTH, but give us one more season to see where Brooke and Julian end up, what happens to Nathan and Haley after their daughter is born, give us a Quinn and Clay wedding – let us see our favorite show come to an end on our terms, not short notice. Please, I don’t know what else to say to convince you. We need this.

Comment by Rebecca M – March 22, 2011 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love to see one more season. I am kind of prepared for it to end but I would like to see what else they could do!!! Soooo glad dan is off now!!! He was the worst character!!! I thought they’ve done well with the new characters coming on!!!

Comment by Jenna – March 22, 2011 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Weren’t they saying last year that this was going to be its final season. One Tree Hill is Over the Hill, Cancel it.

Comment by Liz – March 22, 2011 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, they were. They were pretty adamant about it too. From the beginning of season 8, they were saying it was over after this year up till recently when there was talk of them renegotiating their contracts.

Comment by Jamie – March 27, 2011 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They might be filmed in the same place but don’t compare OTH to Dawson’s, the writing & characters were better (still love the family of Jen Jack & Grams) and they completely lucked out on the actors they got.

Comment by deedeedragons – March 22, 2011 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Season Four should have been the last season, the season finale was beautiful and it was a perfect ending to the show …it hasn’t been anywhere near as good since then, really season three to be honest. But it needs to end – it’s a joke. Let Sophia move on with her career, and James and Joy with their lives in whatever they want to do.

Comment by Courtney – March 22, 2011 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that the network should say one more season And that’s the end. I think that way the writers and the actors will give it the best ending that us viewer deserve. Most show don’t get that they get cancelled with a crap ending like Veronica mars.
    That’s what I think away :)

Comment by Laurag – March 22, 2011 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think cutting it would be a huge mistake. This show has inspired so many teenagers and been such a huge part of our lives, I couldn’t bear to see it go without a final season. And theres no denying it’d be a good’un – mark schwan never fails to disappoint! It has survived so much and in some ways it is very different to the pre graduation era but that doesn’t neccessarily mean in a bad way. There are things about the show that I love now that werent there before. Plus We do want to see naleys baby grow up! And more of Brooke&Julian/clay&Quinn…. I know some things you need to let go of but I know the wonferful Tree Hill still has one more season left for us….

Comment by josie – March 22, 2011 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know I’m in the minority on this but I actually think that seasons 7 & 8 have been the best since the jump forward. It’s probably because I was a devoted lover of Brucas and all the Leyton stuff just reminded me of how much I disliked CMM, but I’ve enjoyed the show more since Chad has been gone. I did like Lucas and I did like Peyton but I liked them apart. I LOVED Peyton with Jake and somehow I always felt like Lucas and Peyton were sort of forced into working in season four after the divorce of Chad and Sophia, and the hardship that I am sure season three was for them to film. For me, Quinn and Clay have much of the aspects that I liked about Peyton/Lucas without all the baggage. Like I said, I realize I’m in the minority, and certainly I think seasons 1-4 were the best, but as far as the seasons post jump I think 7&8 are far superior to 5 &6.

Comment by Emily – March 22, 2011 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show! My daughter and I have watched it from the beginning. We still watch the reruns on soap network. Can’t wait till it returns in April to see the new babies. Brooke and Julian deserve a baby and to have there storyline. Would like to see a return visit from Lucas and Peyton, even if for just one episode. All of the characters are amazing in there own way. WE SAY KEEP IT!!!:):)

Comment by jennifer southall – March 22, 2011 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really love this show, its just about the only thing i watch in primetime and would love to see a season 9, especially with brooke and julian getting to be 1st time parents…..but if it foes get canceled have enough heart to give it a proper wrap up of the story lines.

Comment by Kelli – March 22, 2011 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dont cancel it.. so what if murray and burton are no longer in the show, you still have great actors like James Lafferty, Bethany Galeotti, and Sophia Bush. I know tons of people who still watch the show and love it, these new shows are just versions of stories that have been told, unlike one tree hill which is original

Comment by Chris – March 22, 2011 06:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wouldn’t call a teen/early 20′s primetime soap with relationship drama all over the place ‘original,’ but that’s just me.

Comment by Jamie – March 27, 2011 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep. I still LOVE this show. Their lives are still interesting to me.

Comment by ana – March 22, 2011 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KEEP!!! KEEP!!! KEEP!!! This show deserves a formally dubbed “final season.” So do the fans. Just one more, please!!!

Comment by anonymous – March 22, 2011 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched this show one night in the 5th season and fell in love with in and have watched it ever since. It is a huge part of my life. I don’t know what i will do when it ends but sadly it is time. They are all in good places in their lives its time. I am such a huge fan of the show but it is time. Season 8 should be its last. I will miss it very much but its time to say goodnight Tree Hill.

Comment by Unstoppable Naley – March 22, 2011 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KEEP ONE TREE HILL CAUSE IT HAS MORE STORY TO TELL….CUT NIKITA CAUSE NIKITA WANT LAST LONG ANYWAY THE SAME STORY HAS HAPPEN BEFORE ON TV…ITS PLAYED OUT BUT ONE TREE HILL HAS NEW STORYS AND ALOT OF HEART

Comment by KENNY – March 22, 2011 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • KEEP NIKITA, cancel One Tree Hill. Nikita will definitely last and has a hell of a lot more of a chance of being renewed than One Tree Hill. It is a FAR SUPERIOUR show in all aspects. It is a RETELLING, not the ‘same old storyline’ if you even bothered to research the actual premise of the show. It is NOT a remake of La Femme Nikita or the movie. It is a RETELLING. Do your homework.

Comment by Jamie – March 27, 2011 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KEEP! Just because.

Comment by Andrea – March 22, 2011 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love it and they do alot of of tours for charity and also love to hear the music in this show I have most of the music on my iPhone. And I have never heard of them before one tree hill.

Comment by Laurag – March 22, 2011 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KEEP!!! I love one tree hill to death and honestly never wanna see it go!!!

Comment by Dina – March 22, 2011 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please Cut Nikita Do Not Cut One Tree Hill We deserved a Oth Season 9

Comment by Erin Thompson – March 22, 2011 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cut One Tree Hill, renew Nikita. One Tree Hill sucks ass and has since season 5.

Comment by Jamie – March 27, 2011 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I tried to stick with OTH, I really did. But the writers had almost the opposite vision I had for almost every main character except Nathan and Haley, and while I was glad to see the Lucas/Peyton pairing go off screen, I was sad to see the individual characters go. And I really hate Julian. I finally just gave up, sold my DVD boxed sets of seasons 1-4, and reconciled myself with watching shows whose resolutions I do like, such as Felicity and Dawson’s Creek. So no, I wouldn’t miss OTH if it were gone.

Comment by J – March 22, 2011 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I used to be a huge fan of this show but I definitely lost interest after Lucas and Peyton left… however I think it’s surprisingly long run deserves one last season for a final send-off – 5 episodes just isn’t enough to give the fans an ending they deserve! That being said, I can’t believe this show outlasted other CW shows like Gilmore Girls and Dawson’s Creek that were cut too early.
    I also have to agree that the new shows the CW is considering for next year just sound terrible…. Zombie Sisters? Really?! Come on guys, you can do better.

Comment by CatMCee – March 22, 2011 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KEEP! For me, this show is awesome! The actors too! And i don’t want the end! So, i want a season 9! And if people are don’t agree with me, don’t watch One Tree Hill if you don’t want a season 9.
    I WANT A SEASON 9!!! :) (From France) x

Comment by Charlène – March 22, 2011 11:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE IT AND CANT LIVE WITHOUT IT.
    UM…..Hello keep it i have been a fan since day one ya ya at first it was sucky cuz chad and hilary left but I just started to love the new cast. Keep it for sure cause its changed me and my life for the better as dumb as that sounds its honestly true. I really hope they keep it but i know after season 9 that will be the end cuz really who see’s a season 10 on any tv show Its rare but so is one tree hill i hope it will last for years.(like the simpson have):)
    Keep it for the dreams hopes friendship love happiness joy it brings in someone’s life. Either way if you cut it, It will forever live in my heart.

Comment by Brittany – March 23, 2011 12:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SEASON 9~~~~ AT LEAST LET US SAY OUR GOODBYES AND GET READY FOR THE END NOT JUST CUT IT. ITS TRULY A AMAZING STORY AND I LOVE THE SHOW. I DONT KNOW WHAT PEOPLE ARE TALKING ABOUT BUT TO COMPARE DAWSON CREEK TO THIS IS JUST RIDICOLOUS,ONE TREE HILL IS BY FAR MUCH BETTER THEN DC. ONE TREE HILL IS ONE OF THE BEST SHOWS EVER TO BE ON CW OR WB OTHER THEN THE VAMPIRE DIARIES (WHICH I HOPE IT LASTS FOR A LONG TIME ALSO)
    SO ONE MORE SEASON AT LEAST IM GETTING TIRED OF SHOWS CANCELING AND WE GET LEFT HANGING WITH QUESTIONS WITH NO ANSWERS LIKE HERO’S OR THE WALKING DEAD COME ON THOSE SHOWS WERE AWESOME AND THEY NEED TO COME BACK ALSO. BUT OTH IS AMAZINGLY GOOD ID JUST BE CRUSHED TO SEE IT END. ONE MORE SEASON OR I SWEAR ID BE OUTSIDE THE STUDIO WITH MY STICK AND POSSY PROTESTING FOR ANOTHER SEASON!!

Comment by Brittany – March 23, 2011 12:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep keep keep! One Tree Hill is one of those shows that I immediately watch when I pull up the list on my DVR. Of course, I catch it live when I can!

Comment by Amber S – March 23, 2011 12:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • one more season. :)

Comment by lauren – March 23, 2011 12:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I WANT TO SEE A SEASON 9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Marion – March 23, 2011 02:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At least one more season! This is my favorite show of all time! Bring back all the oldies and end it right!

Comment by Paige – March 23, 2011 03:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cut it, please!

Comment by Sarabi – March 23, 2011 04:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MY FAVORITE SHOW EVER!! ONE MORE SEASON PLSS!!

Comment by Nicole – March 23, 2011 04:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This poll is sucks, OTH should be OWNING nikita. OTH9S

Comment by Melinda – March 23, 2011 04:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, the poll is right. Nikita won because it’s a far better show and a lot of people are sick of the OTH type soapy shows. Don’t be a sore loser – accept it. OTH SUCKS.

Comment by Jamie – March 27, 2011 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ideally, last two seasons…just make it up to season 10…I would be ready to let go by that time.

Keep it, provided Bethany Joy Galeotti and James Lafferty are still on board. Otherwise, I can say my farewell.

I just soooooo love NaLey. If 2 more seasons with this lovable couple is too much to ask, then I’m begging for one last season 9.

Comment by Karemina – March 23, 2011 04:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would like a season 9 and a great end with Lucas & Peyton and with other. in the new season, I want more scenes with Naley (Bethany & James’re the best)

Comment by Ana – March 23, 2011 04:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I Love One Tree Hill and I would love to see a season 9 I have all 7 seasons on DVD and I can watch them over and over I hate to see it go so PLEASE dont take it off the air, all the good shows have been taking and Im so praying this one isnt taking away too. Cant wait till season 8 comes out on DVD Gotta have it.

Comment by Debbie – March 23, 2011 04:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I remember watching the very first episode when I was just 13…8 years later I am still an avid fan. I have grown up with the show, and would have a void If I couldn’t throw my “one tree hill” parties every tuesday, or couldn’t buy a new season every year on DVD. I facebook, tweet, and talk to my friends about this show and over the years have made them fans. But I am an original. One of those who has been here since the beginning. VCR recording when there was no dvr, taking that hour break from homework, being apart of the One Tree Hill life. I ask please do not end this show. It has meant so much to me. I have cried, laughed , and loved along with the characters since the 7th grade. Please give respect where respect is due. I <3 OTH

Comment by Katelin – March 23, 2011 05:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please save ONE TREE HILL! I want a season 9…best show on television!
    It deserves a final season, it has been one of the longest running series on the CW!
    The CW is keeping shows that are weaker in quality, substance and acting overall…they would REGRET getting rid of OTH!
    Please CW give us a season 9…I completely support it!

Comment by OTH9 – March 23, 2011 06:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One question: Are you telling me that a 9th season of OTH would be better than any of the fresh new pilots The CW is developing? If that’s the case, then new management needs to be brought in, because those must be the weakest pilots in the history of pilots.

Comment by Jason – March 23, 2011 06:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love one tree hill! I think it should have one final season. It deserves one great final season!!

Comment by Becca Brock – March 23, 2011 07:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KEEP ONE TREE HILL!!! Nathan and Haley are awesome on there.

Comment by mgoldberg – March 23, 2011 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One tree hill deserve a season 9 Because this show was renewed all the season and the story are excellent
    i love characters

Comment by Pougnard – March 23, 2011 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show needs to stay! It will feel to weird with it not being back in the fall. We need to see Hailey and nathan with there new daughter and jamie as a big brother! Brooke finally being a mom and we cant just have a few episodes showing that! I want to see mouth and millie get there happy ending. Quinn and Clay’s relationship move furhter. I just think One Tree Hill needs to come back cause theres a lot of lose ends. bring back lucas and peyton and maybe some fan favorites from the past to end it in season 9 and we will be happy, but ending it season 8 will be wrong there will still be alot story that needs to be told and us fans need it!

Comment by danielle – March 23, 2011 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched this show from the beginning, but I stopped watching years ago, because it’s awful. I feel like continuing it does a disservice to the great actors who could be doing other things, especially Sophia Bush and Bethanny Joy. Chad Michael Murray and Hilaire Burton were smart to get out while it was still a guilty pleasure show.

Comment by KiraJ – March 23, 2011 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly – so true.

Comment by Jamie – March 27, 2011 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love One Tree Hill but I think now it should end. Season 7 was fine but season 8 wasn’t as great.

Comment by Leon – March 23, 2011 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One Tree Hill is the best show ever. It needs a season nine!!!!

Comment by Laura – March 23, 2011 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should have ended it when Lucas and Peyton left.

Comment by Liz – March 23, 2011 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post