Sci-Fi Showdown: 'Fringe' Battles 'V' in the 'Renew Our Show!' Quarterfinal

Steel yourselves, sci-fi fans! The final quarterfinal matchup of TVLine.com’s first annual “Renew Our Show!” Bracket Tournament involves Fox’s Fringe and ABC’s V, a pair of out-of-this-world thrillers with enthusiastic cult followings.

To warm up for the big showdown, Fringe and V respectively bumped off Outsourced and Off the Map in Round One of our single-elimination competition for 16 on-the-bubble series hoping to score slots on the 2011-2012 primetime calendar.

Every afternoon at 1 p.m. ET for the rest of the week, you’ll be able to vote in polls to help narrow down the “Renew Our Show!” field — until there’s only one champ standing. Click here to see the entire bracket (then click again on the image for a zoomed-in view). And if you’re losing sleep about the status of anything currently on your DVR “series-recording” lineup, don’t miss our regularly updated Renewal Scorecard feature.

But before that happens, you’ve got to do your sci-fi civic duty and choose between Fringe and V. Polls will be open for 48 hours, and once you’re done, feel free to hit the comments to justify your vote, and head to Facebook and Twitter to whip your fellow fanboys and fangirls into a frenzy.

Oh! And to get alerted to all future “Renew Our Show” showdowns, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV. Now what are you waiting for? Get voting!

1. Michael Sacal says:

This sucks! They both deserve to win (cue the people who’ll say that V deserves to lose or that they both deserve to lose).

• Altair says:

Sorry for piggy-backing on your comment, I just wanted to be near the top. Anywho, moving on…

Oh you crafty, crafty people. I like both of these shows, for different reasons: Fringe, simply put is ‘awesomeness’ personified; whereas V is my guilty pleasure. However, when it comes right down to it, there’s just no competition – Fringe wins.

Damn you for making me choose! Damn you all to hell! And back … Then back to hell, and so forth, and so forth…

• Erin says:

V NEEDS TO WIN! Why are they choosing between two different channels?? THEY SHOULD BOTH WIN! V has no chance D:

• Zoe says:

” I like both of these shows, for different reasons: Fringe, simply put is ‘awesomeness’ personified; whereas V is my guilty pleasure. However, when it comes right down to it, there’s just no competition – Fringe wins.”

I couldn’t agree more. I don’t like y’all for making me choose, but there is a massive difference in quality; believability of dialogue (DO NOT GET ME STARTED ON V’S DIALOGUE. I MEAN MY GOD.), effects (Fringe effects kick butt, and V’s are a little THIS IS CGI YU GAIS ish) and characters, not to mention the actors who play them. So, yeah. Fringe.

• Ezio says:

I agree with Altair

2. Sofia says:

I like V and I want it to be renewed BUT FRINGE is the BEST show on TV.

• Ruthie says:

Sadly, I must second that emotion…

• Michael says:

NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! V BLOWS FRINGE OUT OF THE PARK IN EVERY WAY AND DON’T YOU TRY TO PRETEND THAT IT DOESN’T. V IS THE EPITOME OF FLAWLESS TELEVISION.

V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER!

• Amy says:

Chill out Michael. Clearly we know who you voted for. Me personally – I’ll take Fringe any day and from the poll results thus far, I think you are in the minority.

• Hell says:

Ok your comment clearly justifies that fringe is the best LOL!

3. Anjali says:

FRINGE all the way!! Brilliant, smart, intelligent show!!!

4. Dave Walker says:

I just can not help but think this would be a lot quicker if we just skipped to chuck vs fringe for the final.

• Ambee says:

It would be, but we wouldn’t have percentages and pictures on a bracket chart to look at :)

• Kristina says:

That’s what it’s going to be in the end and I won’t know which one to choose. I think Chuck gets better ratings though, so I may have to go with Fringe when the time comes.

• kayla says:

i agree with you 100 percent that it should be chuck vs fringe in the finals, like both the shows but if it comes down to it my loyalty lies with my all time favourite chuck sorry fringe but i’ve watched chuck from the beginning and still love it!! <3

5. ana muller says:

FRINGE, best show currently in TV. It’s a shame they would even consider canceling it!

6. will says:

FRINGE. dear jesus that show is BRILLIANT in so many levels. the next x-files right there. and the possibilities are endless!

7. Zahra says:

So hard to decide, i think they both deserve to be renewed.
    Fringe is finally getting better, last weeks ep was great (purely because Anna impression of Nimoy. Oh and also Olivia/Belle hitting on Astrid ha).
    V because of its final = WTF! I just wanna see what happens next. Erica will be significantly further motivated to stopping Anna.

8. Holly C says:

I do like V, but I LOOOOVVEEE Fringe!

9. Keterina says:

V the best!!!From Russia with love!

10. Ayden says:

Well, thats a tough one. I love both shows, but Fringe is better.

11. Fringe Fan says:

Damn! That’s a toughie – I enjoy V (a little slow in the story telling but SO glad they got rid of Tyler – the dumbest kid in the universe) – but I love Fringe. So it has to be them FTW.

12. side3 says:

I like “V” alot, but “Fringe” must survive. Quality TV when there is so little out there.

13. Sarah P. says:

FRINGE! The best darn writing, acting and directing on TV!

14. Rich says:

V is good, but Fringe gets my vote. Now let’s see how Fringe holds up against Chuck!

15. Polly says:

Fringe, DUH!

16. Peter Bishop says:

FRINGE! FRINGE! FRINGE!

17. D. says:

I love them both, but Fringe MUST continue…

18. Fringie6989 says:

Fringe completely!!! But didn’t V already announce they weren’t getting renewed or did I just imagine that?

19. Kaelity says:

I love both and the season finale of V was really awesome but Fringe is the best show on TV.
    Fingers crossed, they both need to be renewed!

20. FRINGE! we both agree, Fringe!

21. John Berggren says:

Fringe. It’s not even a contest. Now if the creators, writers, and producers of Fringe wanted to re-reboot V, I’d totally be on board.

22. Aimee says:

I like V, but FRINGE is an obsession. I just can’t handle the thought of leaving it at a cliff-hanger when there are still so many stories left to tell… If it is canceled, I hope Peter destroys this universe… it is clear humanity here is devolving…

23. Ramanda says:

V!!!!! Please save V! They can’t end it like that! It’s an awesome show!!!

24. sw1970 says:

This one was easy – never like V the first time around! Fringe all the way!

25. brandy says:

Noooo. V needs the save more than Fringe!!

26. Aimee says:

Both shows can survive… there’s got to be another way!!!!

27. danilson says:

i just vote but i never watch both of them

28. Tracy Ervin says:

V really started to come alive w the last 5 eps. I would like to see it renewed, but FRINGE is by far the better show! Fringe has become my favorite show on TV.

29. Fall says:

Fringe is the awsomeness of TV
    Fringe is made By GENIUS people for GENIUS people

30. Jessica says:

Of course I wish I could choose both, but having to choose only one it has to be Fringe. I have a feeling it’s going to come down to Chuck and Fringe and that’s going to be a difficult choice.

31. LizEly says:

FRINGE all the way!! One of the best shows on tv.

32. un-holy says:

V because Fringe sucks

33. marie says:

Fringe! I like V but I love Fringe. Renew Fringe

34. samara says:

If only these polls actually MEANT anything in real life…

35. Caroline says:

Hard to choose, very hard… I like V very much, really, truly, but come on… FRINGE is the best!!

We can’t loose FRINGE! Not now!! So many stories to solve. We definitly need a 4th season!!!

FRINGE belongs with us!!

36. Lyrafa says:

FRINGE!!

#SaveFringe

37. marie says:

Fringe is the best on tv. Let face it everything else typical and V is a remake

38. ME says:

NOt fair…tough choice. I think its a tie

39. polly says:

Fringe Rock!!!!
    Best show ever!!!

40. Laurel says:

BOTH !
    They are on different Networks !
    Save them both !

41. Jami says:

Definitely V! I never liked Fringe… Tried to watch the 1st season and hated it! Besides V’s finale begs for a 3rd season!! Save V!!!

42. Margaret says:

Fringe! I know people who say it’s the only show they watch anymore. I just rewatched Fringe season 1, and now working my way through season 2, and it’s amazing how details from so early on are showing up now. The writing is just superior to V. And I love John Noble & Anna Torv. They give such emotional & deep performances that just feel so genuine. The whole cast really is great. Fringe is the best.

43. LaKeeau says:

Why are you putting a pic of pacey up there when repping Fringe? Anna Torv all the way! She is the breakout star!

• ana muller says:

Leave Pacey Witter alone! lol All the cast is great, I specially like John Noble. But yes, Anna is the star (:

• Anne says:

No criticism of Anna, but only Fringe fans know who she is. Sorry, but you guys are in an echo-chamber bubble if you think anyone outside of the Fringe world has a clue about her. Joshua Jackson is well known because of Dawson’s Creek and his movies.

For the record, I love Anna and Josh both

• ana muller says:

I love love love Josh, but I only knew him from Dawson’s Creek , he’s not all that know! I have no problem with his pic up there, he’s a great actor and very nice to look at, but when I said Anna is the star I meant the show star, the main character. Plus I hear she is actually very famous in Australia.

• fall says:

Anna Josh and John are all stars in fringe, the threesome is so wel reunited and the acting is miraculous, each one of them has his/her own unique way of expessing/acting , josh didn’t get so much screen time this season doesn’t mean he’s not a hilarious star , and fringe fans plz the last thing we need is deviding !
          FOX plz I Want Fringe to be renewed !!!!!

• ana muller says:

No argument here, the three of them are amazing. And as I previously stated I love Joshua Jackson (: Plus John Noble is an acting genius. Seriously how can anyone even consider canceling this show?

• Tallulah says:

…From Australia here and kinda…never heard of her before this.

But now I have and I know she’s completely brilliant! And John Noble is obviously beyond incredible. Aussie acting ftw!

Unfortunately that means they leave all the crap behind in Aus. so my tv is filled with mundane, badly-acted – BUT THAT’S OKAY AS LONG AS FRINGE IS RENEWED.

44. Melissa says:

I voted for Fringe. The V remake sucks so far.

45. overandback says:

I watch them both but Fringe gets the vote.

46. Pam says:

No brainer: Fringe!

47. Elena says:

Fringe all the way! It has to be renewed, it’s an amazing show!

48. Doug says:

I’d like them both back, but Fringe is great quality programming and storytelling and V is more of a guilty pleasure. Fringe gets the vote.

49. Rosaliya says: