Sci-Fi Showdown: 'Fringe' Battles 'V' in the 'Renew Our Show!' Quarterfinal

Steel yourselves, sci-fi fans! The final quarterfinal matchup of TVLine.com’s first annual “Renew Our Show!” Bracket Tournament involves Fox’s Fringe and ABC’s V, a pair of out-of-this-world thrillers with enthusiastic cult followings.

To warm up for the big showdown, Fringe and V respectively bumped off Outsourced and Off the Map in Round One of our single-elimination competition for 16 on-the-bubble series hoping to score slots on the 2011-2012 primetime calendar.

Every afternoon at 1 p.m. ET for the rest of the week, you’ll be able to vote in polls to help narrow down the “Renew Our Show!” field — until there’s only one champ standing. Click here to see the entire bracket (then click again on the image for a zoomed-in view). And if you’re losing sleep about the status of anything currently on your DVR “series-recording” lineup, don’t miss our regularly updated Renewal Scorecard feature.

But before that happens, you’ve got to do your sci-fi civic duty and choose between Fringe and V. Polls will be open for 48 hours, and once you’re done, feel free to hit the comments to justify your vote, and head to Facebook and Twitter to whip your fellow fanboys and fangirls into a frenzy.

Oh! And to get alerted to all future “Renew Our Show” showdowns, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV. Now what are you waiting for? Get voting!

Comments (143)

• This sucks! They both deserve to win (cue the people who’ll say that V deserves to lose or that they both deserve to lose).

Comment by Michael Sacal – March 22, 2011 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sorry for piggy-backing on your comment, I just wanted to be near the top. Anywho, moving on…

Oh you crafty, crafty people. I like both of these shows, for different reasons: Fringe, simply put is ‘awesomeness’ personified; whereas V is my guilty pleasure. However, when it comes right down to it, there’s just no competition – Fringe wins.

Damn you for making me choose! Damn you all to hell! And back … Then back to hell, and so forth, and so forth…

Comment by Altair – March 22, 2011 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • V NEEDS TO WIN! Why are they choosing between two different channels?? THEY SHOULD BOTH WIN! V has no chance D:

Comment by Erin – March 23, 2011 04:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ” I like both of these shows, for different reasons: Fringe, simply put is ‘awesomeness’ personified; whereas V is my guilty pleasure. However, when it comes right down to it, there’s just no competition – Fringe wins.”

I couldn’t agree more. I don’t like y’all for making me choose, but there is a massive difference in quality; believability of dialogue (DO NOT GET ME STARTED ON V’S DIALOGUE. I MEAN MY GOD.), effects (Fringe effects kick butt, and V’s are a little THIS IS CGI YU GAIS ish) and characters, not to mention the actors who play them. So, yeah. Fringe.

Comment by Zoe – March 23, 2011 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree with Altair

Comment by Ezio – March 24, 2011 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like V and I want it to be renewed BUT FRINGE is the BEST show on TV.

Comment by Sofia – March 22, 2011 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sadly, I must second that emotion…

Comment by Ruthie – March 22, 2011 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! V BLOWS FRINGE OUT OF THE PARK IN EVERY WAY AND DON’T YOU TRY TO PRETEND THAT IT DOESN’T. V IS THE EPITOME OF FLAWLESS TELEVISION.

V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER! V IS BETTER THAN FRINGE AND IS THE RIGHTFUL WINNER!

Comment by Michael – March 23, 2011 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Chill out Michael. Clearly we know who you voted for. Me personally – I’ll take Fringe any day and from the poll results thus far, I think you are in the minority.

Comment by Amy – March 23, 2011 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Ok your comment clearly justifies that fringe is the best LOL!

Comment by Hell – March 23, 2011 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FRINGE all the way!! Brilliant, smart, intelligent show!!!

Comment by Anjali – March 22, 2011 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree wholeheartedly. Fringe deserves to be renewed!

Comment by Anya – March 22, 2011 10:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just can not help but think this would be a lot quicker if we just skipped to chuck vs fringe for the final.

Comment by Dave Walker – March 22, 2011 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It would be, but we wouldn’t have percentages and pictures on a bracket chart to look at :)

Comment by Ambee – March 22, 2011 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s what it’s going to be in the end and I won’t know which one to choose. I think Chuck gets better ratings though, so I may have to go with Fringe when the time comes.

Comment by Kristina – March 22, 2011 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It may come down to Ausiello’s “Could go either way” on Chuck vs. his “A safe bet” on Fringe.

Comment by John – March 23, 2011 08:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i agree with you 100 percent that it should be chuck vs fringe in the finals, like both the shows but if it comes down to it my loyalty lies with my all time favourite chuck sorry fringe but i’ve watched chuck from the beginning and still love it!! <3

Comment by kayla – March 23, 2011 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FRINGE, best show currently in TV. It’s a shame they would even consider canceling it!

Comment by ana muller – March 22, 2011 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FRINGE. dear jesus that show is BRILLIANT in so many levels. the next x-files right there. and the possibilities are endless!

Comment by will – March 22, 2011 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yes it is!!!!!!

Comment by cody – March 22, 2011 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Is it bad that when I watched the finale of Big Love and Bill Henrickson says “I want to preserve this moment in amber” I automatically thought of Fringe?

Fringe rocks! It needs to stay on the air.

Comment by guest – March 23, 2011 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So hard to decide, i think they both deserve to be renewed.
    Fringe is finally getting better, last weeks ep was great (purely because Anna impression of Nimoy. Oh and also Olivia/Belle hitting on Astrid ha).
    V because of its final = WTF! I just wanna see what happens next. Erica will be significantly further motivated to stopping Anna.

Comment by Zahra – March 22, 2011 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I do like V, but I LOOOOVVEEE Fringe!

Comment by Holly C – March 22, 2011 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • V the best!!!From Russia with love!

Comment by Keterina – March 22, 2011 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, thats a tough one. I love both shows, but Fringe is better.

Comment by Ayden – March 22, 2011 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damn! That’s a toughie – I enjoy V (a little slow in the story telling but SO glad they got rid of Tyler – the dumbest kid in the universe) – but I love Fringe. So it has to be them FTW.

Comment by Fringe Fan – March 22, 2011 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like “V” alot, but “Fringe” must survive. Quality TV when there is so little out there.

Comment by side3 – March 22, 2011 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FRINGE! The best darn writing, acting and directing on TV!

Comment by Sarah P. – March 22, 2011 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • V is good, but Fringe gets my vote. Now let’s see how Fringe holds up against Chuck!

Comment by Rich – March 22, 2011 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe, DUH!

Comment by Polly – March 22, 2011 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FRINGE! FRINGE! FRINGE!

Comment by Peter Bishop – March 22, 2011 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love them both, but Fringe MUST continue…

Comment by D. – March 22, 2011 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe completely!!! But didn’t V already announce they weren’t getting renewed or did I just imagine that?

Comment by Fringie6989 – March 22, 2011 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Imagined. The cast and crew remain optomistic, but it’d take a miracle.

Comment by John Berggren – March 22, 2011 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love both and the season finale of V was really awesome but Fringe is the best show on TV.
    Fingers crossed, they both need to be renewed!

Comment by Kaelity – March 22, 2011 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FRINGE! we both agree, Fringe!

Comment by Olivia/ William Bell – March 22, 2011 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe. It’s not even a contest. Now if the creators, writers, and producers of Fringe wanted to re-reboot V, I’d totally be on board.

Comment by John Berggren – March 22, 2011 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like V, but FRINGE is an obsession. I just can’t handle the thought of leaving it at a cliff-hanger when there are still so many stories left to tell… If it is canceled, I hope Peter destroys this universe… it is clear humanity here is devolving…

Comment by Aimee – March 22, 2011 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • V!!!!! Please save V! They can’t end it like that! It’s an awesome show!!!

Comment by Ramanda – March 22, 2011 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This one was easy – never like V the first time around! Fringe all the way!

Comment by sw1970 – March 22, 2011 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Noooo. V needs the save more than Fringe!!

Comment by brandy – March 22, 2011 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Both shows can survive… there’s got to be another way!!!!

Comment by Aimee – March 22, 2011 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was hilarious. Loved the Fringe reference lol

Comment by ana muller – March 22, 2011 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i just vote but i never watch both of them

Comment by danilson – March 22, 2011 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • V really started to come alive w the last 5 eps. I would like to see it renewed, but FRINGE is by far the better show! Fringe has become my favorite show on TV.

Comment by Tracy Ervin – March 22, 2011 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe is the awsomeness of TV
    Fringe is made By GENIUS people for GENIUS people

Comment by Fall – March 22, 2011 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I second this!

FRINGE #1 Favorite Show.

Comment by Mary – March 22, 2011 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Of course I wish I could choose both, but having to choose only one it has to be Fringe. I have a feeling it’s going to come down to Chuck and Fringe and that’s going to be a difficult choice.

Comment by Jessica – March 22, 2011 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FRINGE all the way!! One of the best shows on tv.

Comment by LizEly – March 22, 2011 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • V because Fringe sucks

Comment by un-holy – March 22, 2011 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe! I like V but I love Fringe. Renew Fringe

Comment by marie – March 22, 2011 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If only these polls actually MEANT anything in real life…

Comment by samara – March 22, 2011 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hard to choose, very hard… I like V very much, really, truly, but come on… FRINGE is the best!!

We can’t loose FRINGE! Not now!! So many stories to solve. We definitly need a 4th season!!!

FRINGE belongs with us!!

Comment by Caroline – March 22, 2011 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FRINGE!!

#SaveFringe

Comment by Lyrafa – March 22, 2011 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe is the best on tv. Let face it everything else typical and V is a remake

Comment by marie – March 22, 2011 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOt fair…tough choice. I think its a tie

Comment by ME – March 22, 2011 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe Rock!!!!
    Best show ever!!!

Comment by polly – March 22, 2011 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BOTH !
    They are on different Networks !
    Save them both !

Comment by Laurel – March 22, 2011 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely V! I never liked Fringe… Tried to watch the 1st season and hated it! Besides V’s finale begs for a 3rd season!! Save V!!!

Comment by Jami – March 22, 2011 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe! I know people who say it’s the only show they watch anymore. I just rewatched Fringe season 1, and now working my way through season 2, and it’s amazing how details from so early on are showing up now. The writing is just superior to V. And I love John Noble & Anna Torv. They give such emotional & deep performances that just feel so genuine. The whole cast really is great. Fringe is the best.

Comment by Margaret – March 22, 2011 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why are you putting a pic of pacey up there when repping Fringe? Anna Torv all the way! She is the breakout star!

Comment by LaKeeau – March 22, 2011 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Leave Pacey Witter alone! lol All the cast is great, I specially like John Noble. But yes, Anna is the star (:

Comment by ana muller – March 22, 2011 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No criticism of Anna, but only Fringe fans know who she is. Sorry, but you guys are in an echo-chamber bubble if you think anyone outside of the Fringe world has a clue about her. Joshua Jackson is well known because of Dawson’s Creek and his movies.

For the record, I love Anna and Josh both

Comment by Anne – March 22, 2011 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I love love love Josh, but I only knew him from Dawson’s Creek , he’s not all that know! I have no problem with his pic up there, he’s a great actor and very nice to look at, but when I said Anna is the star I meant the show star, the main character. Plus I hear she is actually very famous in Australia.

Comment by ana muller – March 22, 2011 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Anna Josh and John are all stars in fringe, the threesome is so wel reunited and the acting is miraculous, each one of them has his/her own unique way of expessing/acting , josh didn’t get so much screen time this season doesn’t mean he’s not a hilarious star , and fringe fans plz the last thing we need is deviding !
          FOX plz I Want Fringe to be renewed !!!!!

Comment by fall – March 22, 2011 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • No argument here, the three of them are amazing. And as I previously stated I love Joshua Jackson (: Plus John Noble is an acting genius. Seriously how can anyone even consider canceling this show?

Comment by ana muller – March 22, 2011 04:48 PM PDT
        • …From Australia here and kinda…never heard of her before this.

But now I have and I know she’s completely brilliant! And John Noble is obviously beyond incredible. Aussie acting ftw!

Unfortunately that means they leave all the crap behind in Aus. so my tv is filled with mundane, badly-acted – BUT THAT’S OKAY AS LONG AS FRINGE IS RENEWED.

Comment by Tallulah – March 23, 2011 01:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I voted for Fringe. The V remake sucks so far.

Comment by Melissa – March 22, 2011 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watch them both but Fringe gets the vote.

Comment by overandback – March 22, 2011 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No brainer: Fringe!

Comment by Pam – March 22, 2011 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe all the way! It has to be renewed, it’s an amazing show!

Comment by Elena – March 22, 2011 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d like them both back, but Fringe is great quality programming and storytelling and V is more of a guilty pleasure. Fringe gets the vote.

Comment by Doug – March 22, 2011 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Russia love “V”!!!!!!!!!!!!=))))))))))))))))))))

Comment by Rosaliya – March 22, 2011 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No way, Russia loves Fringe! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don’t cancel it, it’s the best show ever!!

Comment by Katya – March 22, 2011 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post