Exclusive

Exclusive Video: Mr. Sunshine's Matthew Perry and Allison Janney Reveal Sweeps 'Secrets'

While Cougar Town is away, Mr. Sunshine continues to play in ABC’s coveted Wednesdays-at-9:30 time slot. If you still haven’t given the new comedy a shot, I’ve got one question: Why? It’s a solid time-filler until Cougar Town resumes its season on April 18, and it’s still early enough in the series to start tuning in.

But don’t take my word for it. Watch Sunshine stars Matthew Perry and Allison Janney bring the funny in this exclusive featurette — ripe with May Sweeps chatter (even though Season 1 wraps up April 6!) — and you may not be able to resist any longer.

Loading video...

So, what exactly are these May Sweeps “secrets” Perry and Janney are boasting about? “I can play three songs on the piano and I can carry a tune,” Janney jokes of the skills she can “Crystal-ize” in future episodes. “And I can do the hula hoop.” Deadpans Perry, “Well, that’s three episodes right there — that’s Sweeps!”

Catch new episodes of Mr. Sunshine Wednesdays at 9:30/8:30c on ABC.

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Commentary, Exclusive, Video

1. Heather says:

I’ve never seen Mr. Sunshine. For the most part, I don’t want mid season replacements because more times than not they end up getting cancelled, so why invest my time.

And the reviews that I read of this show makes me feel like I’m not missing anything.

2. Melinda says:

I tried Mr. Sunshine once and just didn’t think it was funny. Ended up turning it off before the end. I want my Cougar Town back! That show was funny from the start.

3. Allison says:

I love “Mr. Sunshine.” But I also LOVED “Better Off Ted” which had a similar style in my opinion. I worry this show will fail as well. My husband and I joke that Andrea Anders is becoming the new Ted McGinley. She has been on “Joey,” “The Class,” “Better Off Ted” and now “Mr. Sunshine.” With the exception of “Joey” those were all clever shows with great casts. Hoping “Mr. Sunshine” can survive the Andrea Anders curse!

4. chris says:

i watched the first thought it was okay but kept watching the last couple have been really funny

5. Kate says:

Loving Mr Sunshine, it has the same kinda comedy vibe as Cougar town, hope it gets renewed and partnered with CT, its a much better pairing then MF and CT!

6. Katie says:

This is one of those shows that paid off if you stuck with it for a few episodes. The pilot wasn’t great, but it has gotten much funnier the last few weeks. I really hope it sticks around, but I’m not holding my breath.

7. JKS says:

Mr. Sunshine has really improved from the pilot. It’s very funny, with an excellent cast (esp. Allison Janney). Hope ABC keeps it around; it would make another great Wednesday night show!

8. A.M. says:

Yes, pair “Sunshine” with “Cougar Town” and toss “Better With You” from Wednesdays altogether – PLEASE. That show is a momentum killer on what could be a nearly perfect comedy night.
    What’s surprised me the most over the last month is how much I miss “Cougar Town.” Can’t wait for its return. It’s a shame it had to be taken off in order to launch “Sunshine” (again, ABC, you couldn’t spare us “Better With You” for a few weeks??).

9. klutzy_girl says:

I personally hate this show, as much as I love Matthew, and want Cougar Town back! I miss it so much.

And I love Better With You. Hope it gets a second season!

10. Heather says:

From what I have heard, this comedy seems to be only liked by Matthew Perry lovers for the most part. I’m not saying this is the case for everybody but the majority it is. (could be wrong on this but what I have read over the internet, this is the conclusion I came to).

Also correct me if I’m wrong (since I haven’t seen the show) but it seems that the show is geared toward women. You’ll have A LOT more women liking the show then men.

• Megalion says:

I’m indifferent to Matthew Perry but I’m very fond of this show.

I DVR everything and rarely watch anything on the same night it airs but Mr Sunshine is something that I usually start watching while it’s still airing. It’s really fun and light and inane.

I also don’t really watch sitcoms at all. I DVR BBT, Modern Family and Hot In Cleveland but only watch HiC (usually within the week). I’ll catch up with the other two at the end of the season. Community I’ll watch on DVD.

So it really says something for this show to make me want to give such high priority when 95% of my viewing are dramas.

11. Jon says:

Megan, you answered your own question. It is precisely “filler” until Cougar Town returns. So why bother to watch it? It gives us a chance to do the dishes, read the paper, catch up on email or switch to another channel, until Cougar Town returns.

12. Nicole says:

While I think Matthew Perry’s character is basically Chandler Redoux, he still makes me laugh, and the supporting cast is good. The first couple of episodes weren’t all that great, but it’s gotten a lot better (oddly enough, Matthew LeBlanc’s show, Episodes, was the same way, IMO).

13. Liz says:

I love Mr. Sunshine. I watched the first 4 episodes in one go and they just got better and better. Unfortunately because I now like a show there is a good chance it will be pulled and never seen again.

P.S.: Allison and Matthew are great!

14. Rain says:

I adore Matthew Perry and was thrilled to have him back on tv. However, I gave this 3 episodes and just can’t watch it any more. I just don’t find it the least bit funny.

15. Kara says:

I do not miss Cougar Town. Love Mr. Sunshine. The first one was ok, but each week it gets better and better. I’m afraid that now that I like it, it’ll go off air.

16. Chris K says:

Mr Perry is talented and secure enough to let his cast continually upstage him. If you haven’t given this show a chance, Dustin Hoffman wants to know: “Whoyyy?”