V On the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

By mid-May, broadcast TV bigwigs will be making tough calls as to which shows will return for the 2011-12 season, and which won’t. To complement TVLine’s “Renew Our Show!” Bracket Tournament, we’re singling out select “bubble” shows to survey their prospects. The latest series entering our orbit: ABC’s V.

THE SHOW: V (ABC)

THE TIME SLOT: Tuesdays at 9/8c.

The CW’s Nikita On the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

THE CASE FOR KEEPING: There is a compelling TV series to be made about an alien race visiting Earth, ostensibly coming “in peace” yet secretly beholding a nefarious agenda. V, ultimately, could be it, based on the Season 2 finale’s decision to dispatch wholesale with some problematic (or simply annoying) characters and extraneous story elements. FBI agent Erica Evans (played by Elizabeth Mitchell), once blandly diplomatic but newly enraged by the needless death of her ex, should only be more brazen in her counterattacks once she realizes that her son Tyler was turned into an afterglow appetizer by Anna’s (other) daughter. Speaking of the V queen’s offspring, maybe I’m simply a sucker for the Evil Twin gimmick (and/or the idea of Double the Vandervoort!), but giving Anna a malevolent “Lisa 2.0″ to replace her sadly humanized predecessor should ratchet up the nasty, provided they do what you are supposed to do with Evil Twins: Play the ol’ switcheroo, lots! One more undeniable arrow in V‘s quiver: Morena Baccarin, whose icy-cold composure as she deals with us pesky humans does send chills down a spine. Let’s just get Anna out of that sterile, CGI’d mothership more often (even if it means depositing her in the show’s unconvincing rendering of “New York City”).

Fox’s Lie to Me On the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

THE CASE FOR CUTTING: Some argue that V progresses too slowly. But as I watched these last few weeks, I became of the opinion that its biggest liabilty is an inclination to move things along too fast. That “compelling series” I alluded to early on? I see it as meticulously plotting and building up to the Visitors’ invasion plan, rather than uncork it in a hurried Season 2. Oh, and then there’s the science! Reaper‘s Bret Harrison was brought on board as an all-purpose bio-physics-geology whiz whose primary job was one of impossible exposition, babbling on about phosporous levels, human-V DNA splicing and what not. (Again, that info-dump was likely a result of the shortened episode order for this sophomore run, but still — my head, spinning.) Now, I’m not even going to touch upon newsman Chad Decker’s indecipherable agenda, Father Jack’s meandering crisis of faith, or the criminal underuse of Jane Badler’s Diana. But as expressed above, there is a new hope for V now that the eunich-like Fifth Column has been splintered and replaced by Marc Singer’s obviously well-funded Project Ares, and Erica has gotten her badass on.

Hit the comments section to make your own case for keeping or cutting V.

1. ripleyaeryn says:

Keep V! This show can not end by this cruel cliffhanger and I am convinced that Diana is NOT dead. She can’t be dead.

And if Human Target is cancelled : hire Mark Valley, he would make a great brother for Jack Landry and a great asset for human race.

I want more Hobbes/Erica, I want more Lisa/Joshua and above all, bring back : Jane Badler, Michael Trucco (Yes, John May is Alive!), Robert Englund and Michael Ironside.

2. Elisa says:

Keep it!
    I love the show. It had some issues, but I think it really found its pace during this season. If they keep it going like this, season 3 will be just great!

3. Bob says:

Dump it, unless the network does what they did with Lost. Give a definite end date that the writers (hopefully new ones that can actually write science fiction) can build towards. The show has to have a defined end in sight. How long can you stretch out the premise that the Visitors just keep sitting back without unleashing their full power to overtake the Earth?

4. Beans says:

Keep it

5. Lindsay says:

Keep! It’s one of my favorite shows.

I think the show improves weekly. Plus, the finale opened up a great new plot-line that I’d love to get into. I think a midseason 13 episode season (even though we only got 10 this season) is perfect. Keeping the episodes new each week is much better than what they did last year, which drastically decreased the numbers. I think ABC may find more viewers if they promote it more. It’s serialized, but not to the extent of Lost or Fringe. People could figure out the show easily. It would be even easier if a current viewer spent just 5-10 minutes explaining the last 2 seasons, because that’s really only the time it would take.

Definitely keep. I think sci-fi will pick up steam if (and only if) the networks stop canceling all of the sci-fi shows. I’m not saying it will happen overnight, but I do think there’s an audience for these shows, especially since the SyFy network is pretty much worthless at this point.

6. Deanna says:

KEEP! I need more Marc Singer too! So glad they killed off Tyler and Ryan. Diana’s death was not expected. I am waiting for Amy to get even more mature and take on Lisa(s) for the right of Queen. She may not have been born from the Queen, but she sure as hell has the attitude and the *bliss* part down pat!

7. John says:

Keep, but unkill Tyler and Diana. Ryan needs to stay dead for the moment so the little killer girl can have a guilt moment later on.

8. Megan says:

KEEP!!! The season finale was the best one yet!!!! I really want to see what happens to all the characters in Season 3, and with the way Season 2 ended, there are WAY too many unanswered questions and loose ends for a series finale. So please, please, please keep this show!!! It’s one of my favorites and there is never anything else good on TV to watch anymore!! PLEASE KEEP V!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Thom says:

Keep Keep Keep. Erica and Anna reasons enough to keep.

10. chelsea says:

keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

11. Don says:

I like the fact that V is subtle about the invasion as compared to something like Battle: Los Angeles or War of the Worlds. However, if the show is given another season, the producers need to up the action and get the story moving forward. I’m hoping that this is like one of the novels you read that is boring at first because they are setting up the story and characters but become a page-turner towards the end. The producers should let the netword know how they are planning to save the show and the network should reward its viewers by allowing the producers to wrap up the story.

12. Bailey says:

Keep it! They had so many things going for them this season! Do I agree it is rushed at times? Yes. But I do believe it made a giant leap from last year to this one, and I think it can only get better. I read that the producers wanted a longer season to provide more exposition time and more room to expand on character stories (Charles Measure’s “Hobbes” for instance). I think this show has huge potential if given another season. And if that does happen, hopefully they can get a full 22 episode arc.

Keep it.

13. Melinda says:

CUT. this show is so stupid. And boring.

14. Will Norton says:

Keep it and hot woman on there.

15. Cathleen says:

KEEP!!! Bring back Diana (Jane Badler) so she can kick Anna’s butt in true “Diana” form.

16. david says:

Keep it! Awesome show. First, season took too long to develop, thats why it took a while for people to watch it.