V On the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

By mid-May, broadcast TV bigwigs will be making tough calls as to which shows will return for the 2011-12 season, and which won’t. To complement TVLine’s “Renew Our Show!” Bracket Tournament, we’re singling out select “bubble” shows to survey their prospects. The latest series entering our orbit: ABC’s V.

THE SHOW: V (ABC)

THE TIME SLOT: Tuesdays at 9/8c.

The CW’s Nikita On the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

THE CASE FOR KEEPING: There is a compelling TV series to be made about an alien race visiting Earth, ostensibly coming “in peace” yet secretly beholding a nefarious agenda. V, ultimately, could be it, based on the Season 2 finale’s decision to dispatch wholesale with some problematic (or simply annoying) characters and extraneous story elements. FBI agent Erica Evans (played by Elizabeth Mitchell), once blandly diplomatic but newly enraged by the needless death of her ex, should only be more brazen in her counterattacks once she realizes that her son Tyler was turned into an afterglow appetizer by Anna’s (other) daughter. Speaking of the V queen’s offspring, maybe I’m simply a sucker for the Evil Twin gimmick (and/or the idea of Double the Vandervoort!), but giving Anna a malevolent “Lisa 2.0″ to replace her sadly humanized predecessor should ratchet up the nasty, provided they do what you are supposed to do with Evil Twins: Play the ol’ switcheroo, lots! One more undeniable arrow in V‘s quiver: Morena Baccarin, whose icy-cold composure as she deals with us pesky humans does send chills down a spine. Let’s just get Anna out of that sterile, CGI’d mothership more often (even if it means depositing her in the show’s unconvincing rendering of “New York City”).

Fox’s Lie to Me On the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

THE CASE FOR CUTTING: Some argue that V progresses too slowly. But as I watched these last few weeks, I became of the opinion that its biggest liabilty is an inclination to move things along too fast. That “compelling series” I alluded to early on? I see it as meticulously plotting and building up to the Visitors’ invasion plan, rather than uncork it in a hurried Season 2. Oh, and then there’s the science! Reaper‘s Bret Harrison was brought on board as an all-purpose bio-physics-geology whiz whose primary job was one of impossible exposition, babbling on about phosporous levels, human-V DNA splicing and what not. (Again, that info-dump was likely a result of the shortened episode order for this sophomore run, but still — my head, spinning.) Now, I’m not even going to touch upon newsman Chad Decker’s indecipherable agenda, Father Jack’s meandering crisis of faith, or the criminal underuse of Jane Badler’s Diana. But as expressed above, there is a new hope for V now that the eunich-like Fifth Column has been splintered and replaced by Marc Singer’s obviously well-funded Project Ares, and Erica has gotten her badass on.

Hit the comments section to make your own case for keeping or cutting V.

1. Nicole says:

Keep it!

Yes, the plotting has been all over the place, and the Resistance kind of lame for never pulling off a successful strike against Anna, and the V’s plans for humans even more twisty and muddled than the Cylons, but what the show lacks in logic, it makes up for with a talented cast and rootable characters (Anna, Lisa, Erica, Hobbes, Joshua,and Father Jack). I have faith that the third season will be the charm in ‘V’ finally getting it’s act together so that both the story AND characters are firing on all cylinders. Give the show another chance ABC!

2. GeekGirl13 says:

Last season I’d have said “Cut” since I stopped watching midway through out of boredom. This season, I decided to give it a 2nd chance about midway through and I’ve loved it. And now, I’m sincerely hoping ABC adds it to the “Keep” list.

3. Danielle says:

KEEP!!!! Love this show and the pace it is currently setting! The Fifth Column needs some victories though!

4. V Lover says:

KEEP IT. Nothing else like it on TV. Campy yet well-written…Anna and Erica are played to perfection by Morena Baccarin and Elizabeth Mitchell. We do NOT need another medical/cop/lawyer show….KEEP THE LIZARDS!

5. mgb says:

Keep it. It’s finally getting good. Give “Jack” more material though, as he’s the best actor on the show. Let Morena B. grow her hair too please.

6. D. says:

KEEP IT!!!

7. Onno says:

KEEP IT Love the show and as said above by someone you sometimes really shout out WOW or the famous WTF just happend now.
    Give us a Season 3 at least plus make it about 24 episodes long so there’s more to watch for me.

8. Joe says:

KEEP! It’s pulpy fun. At the very least do a mini-series finale if you can’t do another 10 episode season.

9. At peace. Always says:

KEEP!!!!!

10. Debi M says:

“Keep” gets my vote. The last few episodes were exactly what the doctor ordered, and if they can keep up that pace and intensity, they deserve another chance.

11. Nikki says:

Keep it! It’s been a great season. Sad about Diana, Ryan and Tyler though.

12. Tito says:

Keep, now that Tyler is dead.

13. nancy says:

Only keep it if the story becomes less ‘black and white’ next season. If it doesn’t, put it out of it’s misery and cut it.

14. FarleyC says:

KEEP KEEP KEEP!!!

15. Jeanne says:

KEEP!!!!

16. JDHetherington says:

Actually ratings have been largely more consistent for V this season. It’s season high was the premiere episode with 6.59 million views, it’s season low was 4.98 million views, and it’s finale episode got 5.51 million views. So it’s viewers only slid back and forth between 4.98 and 6.59. That’s pretty decent and alot better than the sliding for Season 1. (premiere episode – 14.30 (also season high) finale episode – 5.86. season low – 4.87)

So looking at that the ratings for Season 1 ultimately dropped 10 million views from their premiere originally, while Season 2 ultimately dropped 1.5-2 million views from their latest season.

That’s an improvement. Therefore it should at least get another 10 episode Season 3 at least :)

Though it might not hurt to arrange an end date (ala lost)

17. Lynzie says:

KEEP! It may have had some stumbles, but all shows stumble every so often, and I for one have loved every episodes. And the season finale had so many twists that could take the show tons of different places. At the very least ABC should keep it around one more season to wrap everything up and not leave the story unfinished.

18. cherie says:

Keep it! It really picked up the pace at the end of season 2, and that finale just screams for another season. There is so much potential to develop some great storylines. Please, ABC, renew it!

19. waytodawn says:

Definately keep it!
    They made everything right this season! Episode 10 was a very good season finaly and I want so see more.

20. Zach says:

Oh please please please keep. This show did start off slow, I’ll admit, but half way through season 1 and most of season 2 was astounding! If the season finale, was the series finale, I will be happy it went out on a high note, but will be sad we didn’t get to see the full scale battle of season 3!

21. April says:

Keep it! I watched the original series, and that was innovative at the time it was introduced, back in 1983..I was only 9 years old. I remember discussing the show with my classmates, even though I didn’t realize until now how many adult themes it had…Diana having sex with the leader, lesbian innuendos, violence, etc. This time around they’ve upped the ante and I love it! I love Anna’s take no prisoners approach to invasion, Erica’s determination to bring the V’s down, and of course, Diana!! Jane Badler was the ultimate evil in the 80’s and just to have her back this season was a joy. And now we have Marc Singer…V needs a Season 3 and if it continues to get better, then additional seasons. And if they were to bring Faye Grant back, that will be insanely awesome!!!

22. John says:

Let it go.

I had high hopes for V, but the constant blunders, melodrama level writing and poor story decisions have painted them into a corner that can’t be exited easily. We’re better off letting the talent in this show move on to new projects that make bettwe use of their abilities.

23. Chris Halarewich says:

KEEP IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. Lana says:

Keep it! If for no other reason than because I love Joshua, lol!

25. Sarah El says:

Keep.

V is incredibly uneven, but so are a lot of other shows that simply get better ratings (i.e. Glee, House). Throw it another short season, see how that lies. At least give it a little time to wrap things up interestingly. It’s got nothing but potential after that finale, so let’s hope it’s done right.

26. teniba says:

Keep it!

27. Tamara says:

Keep it!!! It got really good this season and was getting its legs more so. Especially near the end. Please please please keep it ABC!

28. Danielle says:

Keep. Elizabeth Mitchell has anchored the series thus far, and if they just manage to get a decent budget and learn to move forward with more coherent plots with their already-strong characters (something they struggled with in season 2), the show could be something truly special.

29. Anna says:

KEEP! i love V. PLus towards the end of the season it found its footing again. Please after the finale how could you not want to see more. Plus we all love Elizabeth Mitchell.

30. Craig says:

Keep it -I’m tired of networks canceling shows before they come to a true ending and I have invested my time watching them

31. Bobby says:

KEEP IT!!! It’s better than the majority of shows on right now.

32. sb12 says:

KEEP! Definitely keep! This show has so much potential! It will be very sad to see it die before its time.

33. Kathy says:

KEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPP ITTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!

34. Lynn H says:

Definitely KEEP. At least one more season. Lars and Project Ares have their work cut out for them. Marc Singer deserves more than one scene! Joshua will find a way to resurrect the fabulous Diana, and then we absolutely must have the long-awaited Anna death scene. Tyler needs to stay gone. He was awful. It never made sense that Erica and Joe would have a kid that dumb. Good Lisa needs to go up against Evil Lisa. etc. etc. So many different directions the show can go. Great set-up. Move it to a different night… Tuesday is ridiculously crowded. Lastly, if ABC can’t figure out what to do with it, then let’s hope they sell the rights to the SyFy Channel so that those of us who do enjoy it can continue to do so. But c’mon ABC… this one’s a keeper!

35. Sandra says:

KEEP KEEP!

Although I do agree that the fast pace of the show went overboard at the end, there was some awesome things happening. Diana dying! (Shocking although would have been happy to see her live), Death of Tyler, Evil Twin, Death my own daughter!!! (RIP Ryan), HUMANS being Blissed (Whhhattt!!!), and of course knowing the human race isn’t a bunch of idiot by Erica being introduced to higher powers against the
    Vs!!!

Also anyone else expecting Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones to turn around instead of those two other guys in the scene where Erica is kidnapped? :)

36. latinageek says:

KEEP!!! Now that a certain teenager is gone I can really enjoy it. Hoping for Lisa & Joshua love, evil twin smackdown, and secret agency goodness in Season 3. Am sorry about Diana, but what an exit!

37. Vince says:

I’d have said cut it last year, but it got way better this season. Plus, my main problem with the show is gone now that Tyler is dead (hopefully anyway, idiot deserved it for being a little know-it-all snot), and I’ve got to see how it all turns out.

38. Amanda says:

Keep! The show has showed some real promise this past season, and it would be a shame not to let it evolve into something awesome in a third season.

39. PFitz says:

Cut.

Release Elizabeth Mitchell to do something worth her talents than this hot mess. I really wanted to like this show, but it painted itself into a corner too quickly. The Fifth Column never made sense, and, has been pointed out on another entertainment site, is the WORST excuse for a rebellion in history.

Let this one go….B+ for effort; D for execution.

40. Jeremy says:

Keep!! Several of my co-workers and I have been enjoying this show, especially the way the 2nd half of this season has really picked up. We definitely want to see a 3rd season to see how it continues to play out.

41. Michael teague says:

KEEP

42. Visitor says:

We are of keeping, always!

KEEP!!!

43. Tess says:

Keep it. But next season needs to be more than just “this week the fifth column tries to do something to Anna/her ships/V’s in general and fail and Anna comes out looking that much better for it” because that was getting old. Allow for the fifth column to do something that does work against the V’s every now and then so it looks like the fight isn’t futile. And work on the special effects because they are a bit lacking. The show as a whole does have a lot of working parts though and shedding some of the dead weight in the finale was a helpful move. The finale set up for a good direction going forward so I hope they get that chance; I’ll definitely watch if it’s back.

44. melly says:

Keep it! I want to see the human race defeat the Visitors. And Ty was killed, so it will only get better.

45. Dan Blocker says:

KEEP IT!

I agree the show’s has it’s flaws. As others have pointed out, I believe the most pressing include: sloppy pacing and the rather uncompelling development of the show’s human characters. That said, I believe the show improved this past season and has the potential to grow even further and garner a larger audience as it did during the shows pilot.

I am completely hooked despite the shortcomings and will send good karma towards the show in hopes that it is renewed.

46. Tamie says:

Keep it… don’t let it go down in TV History books as another V series that left it’s fans with an unresolved cliffhanger ending… and get the Original miniseries starlet Faye Grant to make an appearance next season.

47. Jorge Jose Herrera says:

Three reasons to KEEP V: Elizabeth Mitchell, Laura Vandervoort and Morena Baccarin are all tremedous!

48. Andreas says:

KEEP IT! V was abit slow in the beginning, but now its great!
    But bring back Diana!
    And add World war with the Aliens!