V On the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

By mid-May, broadcast TV bigwigs will be making tough calls as to which shows will return for the 2011-12 season, and which won’t. To complement TVLine’s “Renew Our Show!” Bracket Tournament, we’re singling out select “bubble” shows to survey their prospects. The latest series entering our orbit: ABC’s V.

THE SHOW: V (ABC)

THE TIME SLOT: Tuesdays at 9/8c.

The CW’s Nikita On the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

THE CASE FOR KEEPING: There is a compelling TV series to be made about an alien race visiting Earth, ostensibly coming “in peace” yet secretly beholding a nefarious agenda. V, ultimately, could be it, based on the Season 2 finale’s decision to dispatch wholesale with some problematic (or simply annoying) characters and extraneous story elements. FBI agent Erica Evans (played by Elizabeth Mitchell), once blandly diplomatic but newly enraged by the needless death of her ex, should only be more brazen in her counterattacks once she realizes that her son Tyler was turned into an afterglow appetizer by Anna’s (other) daughter. Speaking of the V queen’s offspring, maybe I’m simply a sucker for the Evil Twin gimmick (and/or the idea of Double the Vandervoort!), but giving Anna a malevolent “Lisa 2.0″ to replace her sadly humanized predecessor should ratchet up the nasty, provided they do what you are supposed to do with Evil Twins: Play the ol’ switcheroo, lots! One more undeniable arrow in V‘s quiver: Morena Baccarin, whose icy-cold composure as she deals with us pesky humans does send chills down a spine. Let’s just get Anna out of that sterile, CGI’d mothership more often (even if it means depositing her in the show’s unconvincing rendering of “New York City”).

Fox’s Lie to Me On the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

THE CASE FOR CUTTING: Some argue that V progresses too slowly. But as I watched these last few weeks, I became of the opinion that its biggest liabilty is an inclination to move things along too fast. That “compelling series” I alluded to early on? I see it as meticulously plotting and building up to the Visitors’ invasion plan, rather than uncork it in a hurried Season 2. Oh, and then there’s the science! Reaper‘s Bret Harrison was brought on board as an all-purpose bio-physics-geology whiz whose primary job was one of impossible exposition, babbling on about phosporous levels, human-V DNA splicing and what not. (Again, that info-dump was likely a result of the shortened episode order for this sophomore run, but still — my head, spinning.) Now, I’m not even going to touch upon newsman Chad Decker’s indecipherable agenda, Father Jack’s meandering crisis of faith, or the criminal underuse of Jane Badler’s Diana. But as expressed above, there is a new hope for V now that the eunich-like Fifth Column has been splintered and replaced by Marc Singer’s obviously well-funded Project Ares, and Erica has gotten her badass on.

Hit the comments section to make your own case for keeping or cutting V.

1. Keep… but hire a whole new (read: better) writing staff.

• John Berggren says:

This. The misuse and death of Diana was criminal. She needs to be resurrected and go on a full on B!+¢# queen rampage.

If the show is given a second-second chance, they need to tighten up the writing. This means neither rushing nor meandering. We need content that has stakes and consequences and emotional context. This season largely had none of this.

V was rushed in the first season in that the agenda and adoption of the visitors was near instant – then for a year and a half the “resistance” has largely done nothing and Anna could just move apace a she saw fit. There needs to be a call to arms and context to our world today.

There needs to be the “The visitors are not our friends” moment. There needs to be the “we packed you in a suitcase” moment. There need to be more moments to make this memorable – and honestly – will we remember any episode of V 2.0 ten years from now?

And for god sakes the visitors need to stop calling themselves the visitors or the Vs. This is an external concept – human to visitor. The visitors would not dialogue about themselve self referentially about being Visitors or Vs.

• Zoe says:

God, yes. The painful, exposition-heavy dialogue has to go.

• s says:

Please Keep this show!! It’s had an uphill battle from the very beginning, and is so relentless that it’s still plugging along. After one more season if it’s not working than fine, but at least give it a chance to shine!

2. Michael Sacal says:

Keep it!

3. Mike says:

the season 2 finale was awesome I can’t see how can’t pass up a season 3

4. Bryan says:

Cut. It got boring fast.

5. Rogue says:

Keep! But really, keep the pace of the last few episodes!

6. Eden says:

Keep it! I’m really enjoying this show… there’s nothing else quite like it on TV right now. Cut one of the millions of doctor/lawyer/cop shows instead.

7. Sylar says:

No way! V is incredible amazing show. Probably, one of the best on TV now. When V’s will fight Fringe, I’ll vote ONLY V, it deserves renewal more than Fringe

8. Micahel A says:

CUT! Although hire Elizabeth Mitchell for a better show. I love her!

9. Val says:

✄ cut it

10. Kitty says:

Keep it definitely!!!

11. Dora says:

Keep it!!!

12. brandon says:

KEEP IT!

13. Susan says:

KEEP! While I agree it was slow at first, the last four episodes were amazing! The finale was unbelievable – Diana’s death, Lisa’s possibly killing of Tyler, the new underground agency…BRING IT BACK!!!

14. Rebecca says:

Keep.

I’d love to see what they did with an Erica Evans who vowed to stop acting like Anna in the Season 2 finale and could get her hero-on during a war.

More than anything, I want to see a final confrontation between Anna and Erica because you know that mess would be amazing to watch.

15. Aimee says:

KEEP! It’s better than most of the drivel on TV, and they killed off the one character everyone hated. Progression achieved. Come on, we can’t leave Erica and Father Jack as they were!

16. Alex C says:

Keep it

17. Tucker says:

Cut

This show is wretched and even Elizabeth Mitchell is reduced to bad acting by it. She deserves better.

18. Michael says:

If V is cut, I will skin my own body. Then ABC will be responsible for the death of a fan and have no choice but to admit how brilliant and flawless V is, giving it not only a third season but lots of awards because they deserve it. The cast is phenomenal and the plot is brilliant. The pacing and emotion just blows me away. Not since Battlestar Galactica has there been such a perfect sci
    -fi series in my opinion.

Please cut the ridiculous Glee or one of the other stupid doctor/cop series as pointed out above. SAVE V!!!!!! IT IS TOO FLAWLESS TO LOSE!!!!

• Michael says:

I forgot to say….

KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP OR ELSE!

• John Berggren says:

V2009 <<<<<<<<<<<<< Battlestar Galactica (either version)

19. Delirious says:

KEEP. It’s been quite entertaining, and the season finale was, frankly, quite brutal. They can do good if they take it in the right direction (and as the first comment says, they’ll need fresh writers for that), using the cast they have, and where they left the story.

20. nancye_2000 says:

Keep it!
    I want to see how Tyler’s death affects Erica, I want to see Erica/Jack development, I want to see how Lisa 2.0 is used and now that Tyler is dead I want to see more realLisa and Joshua!!

21. Cheryl Turner says:

KEEP! I LOVE this show despite my disappointment in not getting a Diana vs Anna brawl. This is one of the few shows I actually look forward to. I will beg for this one to be kept and I know I am not alone.

22. Ada says:

Keep it but it needs to stay faster paced and exciting like it got in the last 2-3 episodes

23. Anthony Kerty says:

Keep! Keep! KEEEEEEP!!!

Season 2 finale was awesome and it opened so many doors for the series to evolve! I know it was sad to see Jane Badler go but what did you all expect? Anna to be defeated so easy and early on? Come on!

24. Juan says:

CUT. Season 2 was a complete disaster and the finale was a joke. I have never seen a show throw so much spaghetti at the wall in a desperate attempt to see what would stick. Every week something got introduced only to be forgotten the next week in favor of something else. The writing on this show has become abysmal. At this point I dont think there is any way to salvage it. Put it out of it’s misery.

25. Dietcoke says:

Keep it. I just got really good.

26. Brendan says:

Keep it!!! It’s a great show and after the finale looks only to get better!!!!!

27. Clarissa says:

Keep! BUT make it into a tv movie.

28. Collin says:

PLEASE KEEP IT! After the pace the show set in the season 2 finale, it has so much potential!

29. Laurel says:

Keep it !
    Keep the writers who did the Finale.
    Pink slip the writers who kept Diana in the basement the entire season !

30. jjva says:

Most definitely KEEP! I am a huge fan of V since it first came out in 1985. If ABC cancels V than it cancels out their own channel…at least at my house. I will NEVER watch anything on ABC again becaus I am sick and tired of every show I like being canceled by them.

31. Heather says:

Keep it! The show has great potential and the finale set things up perfectly for an amazing season three. =)

32. D says:

Keep this show…..and let the writers know that if Lisa’s skin can be put on another body, so can Diana’s, so I say the person killed WAS NOT Diana, but a sacrificial follower and Diana is alive and well!!!

33. sandydc says:

As melodramatic as the old V series was, it was about “bigger” things than this current series has ever managed. I had high hopes and I love Elizabeth Mitchell. I still stay keep it. I’ve watched it all along, still hoping for something better. Maybe they’ll get there in season 3.

34. Alan says:

How often on any show do you EVER find yourself saying “Wow” out loud? I found myself saying it quite a few times over the season.
    It’s getting better and will continue to.
    Keep it please

35. tvfan says:

Cut it!

36. Mac says:

I’d say cut.

I tried watching during the first season and quit midway through, I tried with second season and still quit midway through.

The only reason I kinda want this to be brought back is because I think Elizabeth Mitchel could give one helluva performance reacting to the death of her son.

37. tracy ervin says:

Keep it! It’s really starting to come 2gether. Love the Project Ares idea!

38. Sally says:

KEEP IT!!! Huge fan of the show and I would hate to see another great show get canceled =(

39. L T says:

KEEP V
    KEEP V
    KEEP V

There’s nothing else to do.

40. kati says:

Keep. For sure. It floundered a little in the middle of the season, but it absolutely got back on track. AND they killed Tyler, so now what’s not to love?!!

41. aaronite_1 says:

Keep it!

Looks like they’ll be going in a fresh new direction if renewed!

42. Brad says:

Please keep. I’m terrified it will just be replaced with more reality dreck of the Wipeout kind.

43. Marcello says:

Keep it!!

44. Jason says:

KEEP at least give them one more season to provide the fans (I STRESS FANS) a resolve…

45. Heather says:

KEEP IT!!! I love how they set up the finale, there are so many ways that S3 could go and I most definitely want a chance to see it.