TVLine Items: Kiefer's 24 Movie Update, Soap Cancellation Talk, and Other TV News to Know

Kiefer Sutherland stopped by ABC’s The View on Monday to talk up his current Broadway run, yet he also took a moment to do a little guesstimating about the status of the 24 feature film. So, when might we see a big screen adaptation of the Fox hit? According to Sutherland, “It will come out in the summer of 2012.” However, development on 24‘s much-talked about feature film has been a struggle over the past year, so I’d say it’s safe to mark your calendars… in pencil.

Ready for more TV dish? Well…

• I have some good news and bad news, soap fans. First up: ABC’s long-running All My Children may be in trouble, says Deadline. The network is the only one of the big three (also, CBS and NBC) who has yet to pare down its daytime sudser lineup in recent years, yet now there is talk that they might be ready to do so. Should ABC choose to trim its slate, AMC is the most vulnerable due to consistently low ratings. On a more positive note? CBS will air the Daytime Emmys live from Las Vegas on Sunday, June 19 at 8/7c.

• It’s miniseries mania! ABC has picked up a four-hour Titanic miniseries by Oscar winner Julian Fellowes, Deadline reports. Also, HBO is developing a miniseries about former Vice President Dick Cheney, based on the book Angler: The Cheney Vice Presidency.

• 30 Rock and True Blood were both honored at the 22nd Annual GLAAD Media Awards on Saturday night for their “fair, accurate and inclusive representations of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community and the issues that affect their lives.”

• The CW’s Secret Circle continues to round out its cast. In addition to Natasha Henstridge coming on board as vice principal Dawn Chamberlain, Australian actor Louis Hunter will play the series’ leading man, badboy witch Nick, says Zap2it.

• TV Land has renewed freshman series Retired at 35 for a second season, as well as officially picked up Fran Drescher’s Happily Divorced.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

1. Tucker says:

What on Earth is Susan Lucci going to do? Something tells me Erica Kane might find herself on the move to Llanview or Port Charles. And I hate that I know what those places are. Thanks, mom. ;-)

And do we, honestly, need another Titanic project after that little Cameron film and the CBS mini-series?

Here’s hoping Jack Bauer can save us from 2012. (Coincidence? I think not.)

2. Jessica says:

I am not shocked about All My Children possibly being cancelled. I used to watch AMC in the 1990’s and early 2000’s when I found it very entertaining, but I had to quit a few years ago because it became unwatchable. Honestly, ABC should have just saved the money and cancelled the show instead of moving it to LA. I hate saying that because I’m a soap fan and don’t wish soaps being cancelled, but the show has become a money pit. Numerous sources claim that AMC still runs over budget even though the move to LA was supposed to save them money. Plus the rating have slipped further than ever. To me, the final nail in the coffin was the hiring of Chuck Pratt as head writer. I know AMC wasn’t great before Pratt’s hiring, but when he took over the show became a total disaster. AMC going down the tubes wasn’t all Pratt’s fault though. He had a lot of help from Julie Hanan Carruthers and especially Brian Frons.

• Sue vides says:

Yes, the writers have made AMC look ridicous. The nail in the coffin for me was the baby replacement for Angie.

3. dee123 says:

I’m sure I’ll see the 24 movie around the same time the Veronica Mars & Arrested Development films come out, probably on the 4th of never.

4. SnazzyO says:

Well, if AMC goes off the air, Erica Kane needs a BIG BIG ending. The character is the iconic soap character for my generation. Wee little Susan Lucci (who is what, 95lbs dripping wet) has packed a heck of alot of whollop in that little frame. I hope the exit, if it happens, if worthy.

Ah Jack. We miss you. Although I thought Jack really crossed the line too much in the last season, if we could have a little more self-control, I think he is such a compelling character. And maybe Tony could be resurrected. Again. As well as Edgar. Yes, I’m still bitter. Finally, Chloe Chloe Chloe — we need her snark-face social ineptitude on our screens some more.

5. Amber says:

All My Children has been difficult to watch ever since David Canary’s retirement. Pine Valley ain’t Pine Valley without Adam Chandler. Also, why on earth didn’t they keep on British hottie Aiden Turner???

6. Anna says:

I love All My Children, but if it must go off the air ( i know its ratings have been low) i want them to bring Zach back. I miss Zendall.

7. Lynn says:

Please keep AMC. I personally won’t watch another talk show or game show. If the soaps go, my tv will permanently be on foodnetwork or hgtv.

• Steven says:

You sound exactly like my mom!

• Rosalie says:

If AMC gets cancelled—I will absolutely di—It’s the ONLY soap I watch and I have been watching since day one!!!!!!!! Yes , sometimes thier storylines get a little boring–but they always recover with new ones—-PLEASE-PLEASE DON’T TAKE IT OFF THE AIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. lisa vestal says:

please don’t take it off the air…just get better writers in there. for the most part the cast is great they just need to quit going through the same story lines over and over…..BRING LEO BACK!!!

9. Aura says:

I used to watch soaps all the time but gave up, because they kept constantly breaking up all my favorite couples and telling the same storylines over and over.

The only thing I will have to say is that IMHO General Hospital once my favorite show IMHO has fallen farther in quality than AMC if not in ratings. Just how many illegitimate-legitimate kids has Sonny fathered by now anyway. I am sick of them making the mobster the “misunderstood” hero and Sonny and Jason the whole show. They have a lot of other talent on that show, they just choose to ignore it.

• Cassie says:

I love Sonny Corinthos! Maurice Bernard is the best actor on the show. It’s no wonder TPTB would build the show around him. And I love him even more now that he’s reunited with Brenda. Sonny and Brenda are the best thing about General Hospital.

10. Denise says:

All My Children is the ONLY soap I currently watch. I’m an avid fan and will be extremely disappointed if it’s canceled. If I can’t watch it when it’s on, I DVR it and watch it when I get home. I’m 51 and been watching it since I was in middle school. Seriously, there are others that can be canceled instead!

11. brenda says:

I dvr all my children everyday and watch it when I get home please don’t take it off take off general hospital that one is so boring now

12. maggie says:

Julian Fellowes wrote the wonderful “Downton Abbey” and won an Oscar for “Gosford Park,” His “Titanic” will probably have a better plot and dialogue than James Camerson’s film, but probably not as good special effects as Cameron’s movie.

13. Pat says:

There are only a few soaps left…enough with the talk shows and game shows…let us soap fans have some TV that we enjoy. If AMC or OLTL leave, so will I, and like another person said, here I come Food Network and HGTV.

14. Lyncie says:

Been watching AMC for forty years! Have seen my two other soaps go and am protesting strongly the cancellation of AMC!!
    Even my husband watches it!! We are both
    Professionals & this is good therapy! Please save AMC. There’s so much crap on TV, leave what little of class is left!!

15. Wanda Mack says:

Hi I am commenting on AMC. Yes it can off the air, because some of the story lines are turning out stupid. Angie got pregnant, and lost her sight. So I taught the purpose was to have the baby , and eventually after the baby her eyesight would come back. Wrong! ya’ll decieded on a storyline were the baby is stillborn…. so what was the purpose? You could have just not let her be pregnant, but you made her lost her sight, get pregnant, kill the baby, and than give her somebody else baby. I SAW NO PURPOSE TO THIS STORYLINE!!! Was not well taught out. I didn’t watch it for the last two days, i read it on the computer, so I knew not to watch it. Now I don’t want to watch it anymore, so going OFF IS FINE WITH ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Julie Stier says:

I was shocked and very disappointed in how they had Angie’s baby die. I thought they were going to focus more on the challenges of living and raising a child while being blind.Looks like you did it to have David have some leverage again. Something he can over hold the Hubbert’s. I’m really sick of him on the show. Jack and Erica need to get married and stay married. This soap needs a strong lasting couple. It’s lacking some foundation. I realize you need some dillema’s but you need some lasting couples. Zach is Kendell’s one true love and ned him back.I have watched this soap since I was in 7th grade back in the late 70’s and this is the least I’ve liked it. I don’t want to see it o off the air they just need to make some changes.

16. Brenda Parrish says:

Please don’t take All my children, that’s the only soap I watch.been watching this soap all my life.