Exclusive: Southland Inching Closer to Renewal

Get More: Exclusive, News, Renewals, Scoop

Somewhere Det. Nate Moretta is smiling: TNT is thisclose to renewing Southland for a fourth season, sources confirm to me exclusively.

The little cop drama that could — which TNT famously rescued from NBC’s scrap heap — averaged a solid 2.9 million viewers for its just-wrapped third season, up 6 percent over season 2.  The show also garnered some of the best reviews of its entire run, with much of the praise aimed at series stars Shawn Hatosy and Michael Cudlitz. (I’ll be shocked if Warner Bros. doesn’t mount a major Emmy campaign for the pair.)

The cable net is still hammering out an exact episode count for the fourth season, but insiders say it will once again be in the 10-episode ballpark.

Thoughts? Ecstatic? Relieved? Waiting for the official word to come down before doing any cartwheels?

Comments (82)

• I only started watching Southland this season but I am hooked. It is such a fantastic show with an incredible cast that is full of talent and depth. I really hope TNT renews it.

Comment by Tenney – March 22, 2011 05:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mr. Ausiello,
    Oh I hope that Southland is indeed about to be renewed…. Southland is the only tv drama that is a must-see for me. The characters: Sammy, John, Chickie, Lydia, Ben, Sal, {even feisty Dewey} have endeared themselves to me. And I’ve grown to care about Josie & Tammi as well, because of their connections to Lydia & Sammy. Boy, do I miss Nate Moretta!
    What amazing characters!!

I love Southland…. Thanks for this news.

Comment by Susie – March 22, 2011 07:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Completely ecstatic about this news! But I am greedy and I want as many episodes as possible. Ten just isn’t enough. Commence begging for at least 15! Do I hear 20?

Comment by Amy – March 22, 2011 07:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fantastic news!

Comment by Pam – March 22, 2011 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ben Mckenzie was great.

Comment by Lisa Smith – March 22, 2011 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for the Ben and Sammy tandem in action. Maybe Cooper can stay in rehab for the first few episodes so that the storyline can focus on Ben and Sammy.

Comment by Lisa Smith – March 22, 2011 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Getting better…….wanna play…..ok sweetie. lets play

Comment by Lisa – March 22, 2011 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I want to play too!!! But I’m not Bob or Teresa.

Comment by Ilovetrouble – March 22, 2011 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am very happy to hear that Southland will be renewed for it’s fourth
    season. I only wish that season four would have at least 15 episodes. But I will take the 10 if that’s what it is.
    Thank you TNT for keeping Southland on the “air”. The writing and acting make every episode look and feel very real.

Comment by Michael – March 22, 2011 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love South-land I hope that TNT would at least resavage another show like TERRIERS. Since Direct TV is getting out of the saving TV shows business.

Comment by George – March 22, 2011 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 10 episodes just isn’t enough. such an amazing show: I’m always on the edge of my seat. so glad its continuing.

Comment by lisa – March 22, 2011 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It just got renewed!!!!! YEEEEEESSSSS!!!!

Comment by IC – March 22, 2011 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very funny. I am impressed. But I can play too……wanna see.

Comment by lisa – March 22, 2011 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post