Exclusive

Exclusive: Southland Inching Closer to Renewal

Somewhere Det. Nate Moretta is smiling: TNT is thisclose to renewing Southland for a fourth season, sources confirm to me exclusively.

The little cop drama that could — which TNT famously rescued from NBC’s scrap heap — averaged a solid 2.9 million viewers for its just-wrapped third season, up 6 percent over season 2.  The show also garnered some of the best reviews of its entire run, with much of the praise aimed at series stars Shawn Hatosy and Michael Cudlitz. (I’ll be shocked if Warner Bros. doesn’t mount a major Emmy campaign for the pair.)

The cable net is still hammering out an exact episode count for the fourth season, but insiders say it will once again be in the 10-episode ballpark.

Thoughts? Ecstatic? Relieved? Waiting for the official word to come down before doing any cartwheels?

1. Tenney says:

I only started watching Southland this season but I am hooked. It is such a fantastic show with an incredible cast that is full of talent and depth. I really hope TNT renews it.

2. Susie says:

Mr. Ausiello,
    Oh I hope that Southland is indeed about to be renewed…. Southland is the only tv drama that is a must-see for me. The characters: Sammy, John, Chickie, Lydia, Ben, Sal, {even feisty Dewey} have endeared themselves to me. And I’ve grown to care about Josie & Tammi as well, because of their connections to Lydia & Sammy. Boy, do I miss Nate Moretta!
    What amazing characters!!

I love Southland…. Thanks for this news.

3. Amy says:

Completely ecstatic about this news! But I am greedy and I want as many episodes as possible. Ten just isn’t enough. Commence begging for at least 15! Do I hear 20?

4. Pam says:

Fantastic news!

5. Lisa Smith says:

Ben Mckenzie was great.

6. Lisa Smith says:

Can’t wait for the Ben and Sammy tandem in action. Maybe Cooper can stay in rehab for the first few episodes so that the storyline can focus on Ben and Sammy.

7. Michael says:

I am very happy to hear that Southland will be renewed for it’s fourth
    season. I only wish that season four would have at least 15 episodes. But I will take the 10 if that’s what it is.
    Thank you TNT for keeping Southland on the “air”. The writing and acting make every episode look and feel very real.

8. George says:

Love South-land I hope that TNT would at least resavage another show like TERRIERS. Since Direct TV is getting out of the saving TV shows business.

9. lisa says:

10 episodes just isn’t enough. such an amazing show: I’m always on the edge of my seat. so glad its continuing.

10. IC says:

It just got renewed!!!!! YEEEEEESSSSS!!!!

11. lisa says:

Very funny. I am impressed. But I can play too……wanna see.