Exclusive

Pretty Little Liars Finale Scoop: Ezra Is Leaving Rosewood?! Plus, Spoilers for Season 2

“Ezria” fans, avert your pretty little peepers: Pretty Little Liars executive producer Oliver Goldstick tells me that the ABC Family drama’s Monday-night finale is a game-changer in every sense of the word, starting with a major shift in Mr. Fitz’ future at Rosewood High School.

“Next season, we’re putting Ezra in a new place,” Goldstick reveals. “Mr. Fitz may be leaving Rosewood High, and we hint at that in Monday’s finale. It will definitely put ‘Ezria’s’ relationship in a new context.” Just to ease your minds, this does not mean the adorable Ian Harding is leaving PLL. Or even that Ezra and Aria are over. Rather, Mr. Fitz eventually swapping jobs could actually mean good things for the undercover couple.

“Ian’s very much a part of our series and part of the second season,” says Goldstick. “He’s very pivotal and does not go away. We’re going to play it very much as a relationship that has many obstacles — the teacher/student element may be lifted, and other [problems] present themselves next season.”

If you remember, last week’s PLL ended with the cops heading to Ezra’s apartment to discuss a matter relating to one of his students. While I can’t reveal the exact nature of the visit, I will say that it’s not what it seems.

What else can you expect from the Pretty Little Liars finale? The real question is what can’t you expect:

Finale Fodder | The liars are in for a rude awakening by the end of Monday’s episode, Goldstick reveals: “A lot of threads that have been woven into the fabric of this season create a picture, a really startling picture. It doesn’t answer every question, just some, and the final scene raises more questions. It’s really titillating.” The showrunner won’t spoil much, but says that whatever happens in the finale “certainly puts our four girls in a position that Toby was in for some time, as far as a cloud hanging over him in Rosewood. It makes their relationship that much more fraught because they’re all pariahs in Rosewood when we start the second season. All of the girls are in trouble.”

“A” Remains MIA | “As of now, we are sticking with ‘A’,” says Goldstick. “He or she may not be the ‘A’ from the books even though we adore and are paying allegiance to them. It’s not so strict that we’re following every plot point from here on out.” The EP tells me that there are no plans to solve the mystery that is “A” and move on to a new arc, either. “That was one thing that was discussed in the beginning,” he explains. “Rosewood is busy. There’s so much else going on that we can sustain not revealing the identity of Alison’s killer for some time. There are several engines in this show, and you’re not dependent on just this murder.”

Hanna & Caleb | Haleb fans, rejoice! “We will indeed see our Caleb again,” Goldstick assures. “He is Rosewood-bound, but I can’t tell you when. And there is hope for Caleb/Hanna fans when he returns. [Tyler Blackburn] has been cast in a pilot and is not a regular on the show, but we know he’ll be available to us until July, so we’re not that concerned.” Unfortunately, the couple’s reunion is not initially a happy one. “Hanna’s gonna be a little wiser this time because she’s been burned. She’s not going to be so open right away.”

Spencer & Toby | This troubled twosome’s budding romance continues to grow “very much in Season 2 and is more complicated because of what happens in the finale, which is shocking and a wonderful end to this first season.”

Emily & Maya | Guess what, Maya fans? Bianca Lawson will also be returning to PLL. “Maya went off because we had to shake it up a little bit,” Goldstick explains. “We all thought it was interesting to see what would happen if when Maya went away, Emily was put in the position where she was the one who became the teacher in the relationship. The Emily/Maya relationship had played itself out at that point and we wanted to give new drama and a new path for Emily. But there are plans for her to return. We adore her.”

Creepy Ian & Preggo Melissa | Although Goldstick is mostly mum on the topic of Ryan Merriman’s PLL future, he does share this: “The finale answers the Ian/Melissa/baby question in a big way. It offers a big, shocking turn of events.”

Supersecret Season 2 Scoop (Mild Spoiler Alert!) | “As a result of what happens in the finale, the girls’ status in Rosewood becomes very precarious, very shaky,” Goldstick offers. “If they weren’t thought of as liars before, they will certainly be thought of as that when we start the second season. They’ll be sent to a therapist who has some strong ideas about when these girls should interact again, if at all! And they’re going to have more obstacles to face being friends because of how the town and their parents now view them.

Don’t miss the Pretty Little Liars finale Monday night at 8/7c on ABC Family.

1. Stephanie says:

Yay! Can’t wait for the finale!! Sounds like it’ll be epic!!!

• lorna says:

ugh i hated maya in the books and i hate her on the tv show, please keep her away. not really an emily fan, either.

2. EveDallas says:

AWESOME! Thank You! I will have to be peeled off my tv tonite. I can’t wait to see this. Especially since it seems like Melissa seems to know that Ian was in Hilton head NOT JUST to play golf. I personally think the two of them deserve each other. She’s not all together stable and the same can be said about him. BUT that’s just my take on the whole situation.

3. the girl says:

I am a little annoyed by this because I remember being told that the identity of A would be revealed during the second half of season 1. But I love PLL and I’m not going to give up on it now. I do wish they could evolve the show in the direction its going and still tell us who A is. That would be amazing because I like the idea of the girls being pariahs – all season I have been wondering what the social fallout would be for the Liars once people see who they are in relationships with (Emily as a lesbian, Aria dating her teacher, Spencer dating a suspected murderer, Hanna going from clean-cut guy to sketchy Caleb) and to see them all be ostracized makes sense.

4. AlistairCrane says:

It makes no logical since that Aria and Ezra haven’t had sex yet. I hope this is on the agenda for Season 2!

• Greg says:

How bout the fact that it’s considered statutory rape. Besides that’s not what their relationship is built on and honestly it shows greatness on Ezra’s part if he decides to wait till Aria’s is 18 before even considering doing the do with her.

• Lynzie says:

I don’t believe it would be statutory rape because Aria is 16, the age of consent in PA. And now that he’s no longer her teacher, I’m not sure there is actually anything illegal about their relationship.

5. Greg says:

Wow this is just making me really excited for the final. As for Maya fans I’d be a little supervised to see there are any I mean her and Emily had no chemistry and she got in between Emily and Toby (which I’m still holding out for :( ) But I do think she looks good with that girl from that pride group, who was obviously flirting.

6. bri says:

So glad ezra won’t be gone! Phew!

7. Fefe says:

I must admit I am bored with the whole, ” Who is A?” but I love the show and I’ve been catching up. I love Maya and Emily. I think they are interesting and I love the reaction of Emily’s Mom. That s/l should continue to play out in season 2. Also creepy Ian and preggo Melissa…I can’t wait to see how that is
    revealed. Come on PLL!

8. Michael says:

Let’s not get too cocky, Mr. Showrunner. You can only hide “A”s identity for so long. It’s starting to wear thin.

9. Will says:

YAY for Maya returning!!!!! I was hoping she would appear in the finale, but I guess not. I don’t understand why so many people hate Maya. You could tell that she genuinely loved Emily. And I’m sorry but that random pride girl and Paige annoyed the hell out of me.

• S says:

I just think it says a lot about Emily and mostly Shay Mitchell that she could have crazy chemistry with 3 different people in 1 season. Sure the one with Samora(don’t know the spelling) was just in the last episode, and the Paige relationship only lasted a few episodes, but she had chemistry with both of them. The Paige relationship was done very well, and showed how much Emily has grown as a character in the first season.
      I agree that Emily’s relationship with Maya was very special, and now that Emily’s mom is a bit more understanding about Emily’s sexual orientation, maybe the Emily/Maya relationship will last, that is unless Maya got de-programmed at that camp(I really hope that’s not true). :) I just think that they have a lot to explore in that relationship and can do so much more with both characters.

• M says:

I have to disagree there. Emily’s relationship with Paige was downright awful. It makes absolutely no sense at all how Emily would want a girl like Paige after she tried to kill her. I hate Paige. Hopefully she doesn’t return for the second season.

10. laura says:

Ok, one question. How can they become pariahs over lying about Ian dying? his neck was firmly in the rope. That means there would be DNA evidence ALL OVER those bell ropes. It would be the simplest test to prove he was there and back up the girls story. I don’t see why the police would not do this.

Clearly A did not remove the ropes, or do anything to remove the DNA (it would be obvious to the police) With a claim like that, the police would and should check for DNA to back up their story of a murder.

• random says:

loll..clearly the parents and police in rosewood are incompetent..esp the police officers who seem to be completely dimwitted and not seem use any sort of forensic tests!

11. Jess says:

Wait… so basically Caleb will be gone by July? Wow.. THat freaking sucks. Why even bring him back if he’s just gonna leave again.. like wth.

• Lynzie says:

Production on season 2 starts up in early April so maybe by the time Tyler has to leave they’ll be done shooting the first half. Or, if not, maybe since Tyler’s not a regular on the new show PLL will be able to borrow him long enough to shoot some scenes.

12. Eve says:

I for one hate the character of Maya just because the actress playing her is SOOO old and seems that way to me. She is 32! I remember her from Saved by the Bell: The New Class. Seriously? They couldn’t find someone younger to play a high school girl. Recognizing her from a show that old and knowing she is old in real life just ruined the character from the get go so I hope she doesn’t stick around for long. I also am not a fan of Paige but liked the new girl Emily has been flirting with!

13. Emgee says:

It’s about time that TVLine gave us some good PLL Scoop. Loved last night’s finale and can’t wait for the summer return!

14. Ang says:

I didn’t miss Maya. I want Emily to have a shot with the girl from the pride group that Paige was supposed to meet. They seemed to have good chemistry. I don’t like Paige either. Emily needs a girl who will be proud to be with her! :)

Ezra and Aria act like they can be a couple if he isn’t her teacher but uh isn’t she still underage?

• Karmen says:

Uhhhh, are you blind? Maya definitely was proud to be with Emily and not ashamed!!!! No idea why so many people are hating on her! Paige and that new little guidance chick aren’t a good match! Samara just came out of the blue….What the hell was that?

15. sher says:

i love caleb!! pls make him a regular next season. he has chemistry with hannah!

16. Riv says:

Second aye aye from me! Their relationship was cut off so abruptly and it was supposed to be Emily’s first love, I find it really disturbing how swiftly they started spreading her around… Paige is kind of annoying with her indecisiveness and stiff demeanor. Samara… Honestly, she’s the least likable character ever introduced, I saw no chemistry between her and Em. It came off like she just saw new meat and went for it. Is her local dating pool all fished out, hmm?

I’d like to see someone happy on the show. And I miss Maya, she was so laid-back, especially next to the rest of the high-strung and problem-plagued characters.

Now that we know that Jenna will stay mum about her blindness and Emily is officially out of the closet, ‘A’ has barely anything against her. I’d like her to feel secure enough to step up to ‘A’ and their games. No one else seems to be up for it or are in too deep to think clearly. And I don’t even like Emily very much.

• Riv says:

^ This comment was meant to be a response to Karmen, idk why the reply button didn’t work as it should have.

• Jypsie says:

Well I think the main issue with A is that whoever A is he/she could probably kill them very easily, so I think it has very little about what A will blackmail them with rather it’s that they are scared for their lives. And I have a weird feeling Ian’s alive and working with A, the way he was hanging didn’t look like it would kill him, it wasn’t just by his neck but other parts of his body were supported by the ropes. I don’t think A is working alone at all, it doesn’t make sense to me that he/she can see everything at all times. I wonder if A pushed Ian on purpose and it was all part of a plan to put the girls in a position where nothing they say will be believed by anyone, that way if they actually do discover who A is and what A is doing then no one will believe them.

17. KB says:

are u crazy??? Emily is the sexiest little liar! And I loved her relation with Maya. Maya could be old and really harsh with Em, but she loved her, they loved each other and if Maya appears again n if one day they get married i will be the happiest! please guys.. stop being so mean. by the way, Em is my favourite, but also Spencer cuz she is the smartest and wittiest between all of them.

18. robin says:

I’m very glad to hear that Maya will be back. To the person saying that the relationship was cut off and Emily was too much all over the place with all the new girls.. It was important to have her go so Emily could find out more about herself but without the guidance of Maya. She needed to meet other people because she was just now seeing things in a different light. And now that she’s got enough of that, Maya needs to come back into her life. They absolutely had chemistry. And to the people saying that Bianca Lawson is too old to play Maya, the only reason you’re saying that is because you already know that she’s older. If you hadn’t seen her before this show, you wouldn’t think that because she doesn’t look it.

19. Katie says:

What about Lucas? Is he going to come back? I love Lucas, and he isnt just some disposable object. Please bring him back!

20. lex says:

I adore Maya and i hope that she and Emily can continue their relationship;)

21. ana says:

why does everyone hate mya? She was like amazing she really did become mya ive read the books and she was exactly like the character

i do like paige the relationship taught em what mya went through with her samara is ok she didnt really spark my interest in the last episode but maybe she will in season 2
    i just want em to find the rite chick for her ;)

22. dawn says:

A is mona Ian and Allisons twin sister who is in a mental facility because she has problems but allison told her EVERYTHING

23. catherine says:

i think A is maya because when she moved into allisons house she told emily that she found boxes full of the girl who use to live theres things….. and on abcfamily.com alison has a diary so maybe maya found the diary read it and is stalking the girls.. remember shes on drugs

also the A messages suddenly appear when maya moves into town

And you yes maya is in some far away school… but we don’t know if shes really there she may have never went to the school parents can to crazy things like make her move to a familys house or something a place close to rosewood.

if you think im wrong then reply to me saying why(cuz the facts are pointing to maya)

24. Melissa says:

I LOVE TOBY AND SPENCER THEY BETTER NOT SPLIT UP AND TOBY BETTER NOT DIE IN THE TV SHOW LIKE IN THE BOOKS OR ELSE!!!