The Office Finale News: Is Will Arnett the New Michael Scott?

The Dunder Mifflin watercooler is abuzz with news that Will Arnett has signed on to guest star in May 19 season finale of The Office.

The development, first reported by EW.com, is sure to catapult the Running Wilde star to the top of the short list of possible successors to Steve Carell.

NBC, meanwhile, is confirming that Ricky Gervais will reprise his role as original Office manager David Brent for a second time this season. Gervais — who let news of his return engagement slip last week during a BBC Radio 1 interview — will join Arnett in the finale.

Ironically, back in February Gervais publicly endorsed Arnett for the top Office job. “Had a little meeting with NBC about various things,” he wrote on his personal blog, “and recommended Will Arnett for a regular in The Office. Thoughts? I think he’s amazing.”

Did NBC take his advice? Speculate away in the comments section!

1. Ryan says:

Yeah, like the guy in the $5,000 dollar suit is gonna take an office job! COME ON!

Seriously though, he’d be great.

2. David says:

I like Will Arnett, but I don’t think he is right on The Office at all. I think it will be a pretty big letdown if he is Steve Carrell’s replacement. I really hope that with him leaving it will be an opportunity to shine for some of the smaller characters which have really gotten lost over the last few years. I still love the show but I just think his addition wouldn’t be a good dynamic.

3. Nick says:

For the record, the only perfect replacement that would keep me watching the show is if Ricky Gervais took back his show. That would be the best thing they could do, but its NBC, so they won’t, and next season the shows ratings will go right to the toilet.

4. John says:

Yes! Will arnett should be on, he would be hilarious, and just… Funny overall, will ferrel too, they both better be on for good

5. jeff says:

Portia de Rossi would be perfect! Just let her reprise her Veronica Palmer. No one watched Better Off Ted anyway. Stupid cancellation

6. Kat says:

The people who dislike Will Arnett have clearly never seen Arrested Development.

7. robbit says:

Honestly, this would make me START watching the office. Not a huge Steve carrell fan. Are there any others who’ll begin watching if arnett comes on board?

• Mary says:

I’m sure there are others that would start watching it. I currently watch the show and couldn’t imagine enjoying it with anyone but Steve Carrell… As soon as Arnett’s name was thrown in, I changed my mind. I think this could start a new momentum for the show.

I hope he brings the segway.

8. Juju says:

Creed should be the new boss. He can start a cult.

9. BKJ Pwnage says:

Yes. Hire Will Arnett now NBC!!!! He is awesome!

10. Kurtisvl says:

Yea, the guy in the $1000 suit is gonna replace Steve carell, COME ON!

11. Anon says:

Wow. Will Arnett’s talent would be absolutely wasted on a show like this. Keep him for the God-tier comedies Arrested Development, you know, something with brilliant and not incompetent writing. :/

12. amy says:

Why should the guy in the $3000 suit have to work at a paper company?

13. billy says:

Yes! Arnett is perfect

14. Red says:

What I’m thinking is that Arnett and Gervais will show up as applicants for the job but it will go to someone else instead. Gervais already showed up as David Brent asking Michael about a job.

15. Bob perry says:

R u guys kidding me??? Ur literally retarded. How can u think will ferrel and will arnett would not be good at Michael Scotts job??? Go watch arrested development an tell me it’s not funny or go watch almost any will Ferrell movie and tell me it’s not historical

16. Michael C. says:

Forget Darryl. The Office needs a main act. A new inventory manager just cannot be the main act, and so can’t any of the other characters. If this show becomes Pam, Jim, and Dwight’s Happy Hour it’ll suck. They need a new Michael Scott, someone so openly ignorant that just steals the show. This is what the office is about.

17. Jessica Jackson says:

I don’t believe that any of the above mentioned names will be the replacement for Steve Carrell; we’re being teased right now. When Ricky Gervais showed up earlier in the season I was for sure he would be the Michael Scott replacement. But then they introduced Will Ferrell and now Will Arnett…. My guess is, it won’t be any of them. I think the show has been good enough for the past seven years to watch the upcoming season and give it a fair chance, regardless of who ends up as the new manager.

18. Stephen Seagull says:

When they say the line “…This Branch’s New manager” they do a big close up and zoom on Will Arnett. A bit of a clue wouldn;t you say???