The Office Finale News: Is Will Arnett the New Michael Scott?

Get More: News, Spoilers

The Dunder Mifflin watercooler is abuzz with news that Will Arnett has signed on to guest star in May 19 season finale of The Office.

The development, first reported by EW.com, is sure to catapult the Running Wilde star to the top of the short list of possible successors to Steve Carell.

NBC, meanwhile, is confirming that Ricky Gervais will reprise his role as original Office manager David Brent for a second time this season. Gervais — who let news of his return engagement slip last week during a BBC Radio 1 interview — will join Arnett in the finale.

Ironically, back in February Gervais publicly endorsed Arnett for the top Office job. “Had a little meeting with NBC about various things,” he wrote on his personal blog, “and recommended Will Arnett for a regular in The Office. Thoughts? I think he’s amazing.”

Did NBC take his advice? Speculate away in the comments section!

Comments (84)

• Yeah, like the guy in the $5,000 dollar suit is gonna take an office job! COME ON!

Seriously though, he’d be great.

Comment by Ryan – March 22, 2011 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Will Arnett, but I don’t think he is right on The Office at all. I think it will be a pretty big letdown if he is Steve Carrell’s replacement. I really hope that with him leaving it will be an opportunity to shine for some of the smaller characters which have really gotten lost over the last few years. I still love the show but I just think his addition wouldn’t be a good dynamic.

Comment by David – March 22, 2011 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For the record, the only perfect replacement that would keep me watching the show is if Ricky Gervais took back his show. That would be the best thing they could do, but its NBC, so they won’t, and next season the shows ratings will go right to the toilet.

Comment by Nick – March 22, 2011 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! Will arnett should be on, he would be hilarious, and just… Funny overall, will ferrel too, they both better be on for good

Comment by John – March 22, 2011 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Portia de Rossi would be perfect! Just let her reprise her Veronica Palmer. No one watched Better Off Ted anyway. Stupid cancellation

Comment by jeff – March 22, 2011 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The people who dislike Will Arnett have clearly never seen Arrested Development.

Comment by Kat – March 23, 2011 12:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Honestly, this would make me START watching the office. Not a huge Steve carrell fan. Are there any others who’ll begin watching if arnett comes on board?

Comment by robbit – March 23, 2011 12:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m sure there are others that would start watching it. I currently watch the show and couldn’t imagine enjoying it with anyone but Steve Carrell… As soon as Arnett’s name was thrown in, I changed my mind. I think this could start a new momentum for the show.

I hope he brings the segway.

Comment by Mary – May 5, 2011 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Creed should be the new boss. He can start a cult.

Comment by Juju – March 23, 2011 09:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes. Hire Will Arnett now NBC!!!! He is awesome!

Comment by BKJ Pwnage – March 29, 2011 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yea, the guy in the $1000 suit is gonna replace Steve carell, COME ON!

Comment by Kurtisvl – April 5, 2011 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. Will Arnett’s talent would be absolutely wasted on a show like this. Keep him for the God-tier comedies Arrested Development, you know, something with brilliant and not incompetent writing. :/

Comment by Anon – April 5, 2011 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why should the guy in the $3000 suit have to work at a paper company?

Comment by amy – April 8, 2011 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! Arnett is perfect

Comment by billy – April 11, 2011 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What I’m thinking is that Arnett and Gervais will show up as applicants for the job but it will go to someone else instead. Gervais already showed up as David Brent asking Michael about a job.

Comment by Red – April 11, 2011 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • R u guys kidding me??? Ur literally retarded. How can u think will ferrel and will arnett would not be good at Michael Scotts job??? Go watch arrested development an tell me it’s not funny or go watch almost any will Ferrell movie and tell me it’s not historical

Comment by Bob perry – April 12, 2011 10:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Forget Darryl. The Office needs a main act. A new inventory manager just cannot be the main act, and so can’t any of the other characters. If this show becomes Pam, Jim, and Dwight’s Happy Hour it’ll suck. They need a new Michael Scott, someone so openly ignorant that just steals the show. This is what the office is about.

Comment by Michael C. – April 28, 2011 09:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t believe that any of the above mentioned names will be the replacement for Steve Carrell; we’re being teased right now. When Ricky Gervais showed up earlier in the season I was for sure he would be the Michael Scott replacement. But then they introduced Will Ferrell and now Will Arnett…. My guess is, it won’t be any of them. I think the show has been good enough for the past seven years to watch the upcoming season and give it a fair chance, regardless of who ends up as the new manager.

Comment by Jessica Jackson – May 5, 2011 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When they say the line “…This Branch’s New manager” they do a big close up and zoom on Will Arnett. A bit of a clue wouldn;t you say???

Comment by Stephen Seagull – May 20, 2011 05:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post