The Office Finale News: Is Will Arnett the New Michael Scott?

The Dunder Mifflin watercooler is abuzz with news that Will Arnett has signed on to guest star in May 19 season finale of The Office.

The development, first reported by EW.com, is sure to catapult the Running Wilde star to the top of the short list of possible successors to Steve Carell.

NBC, meanwhile, is confirming that Ricky Gervais will reprise his role as original Office manager David Brent for a second time this season. Gervais — who let news of his return engagement slip last week during a BBC Radio 1 interview — will join Arnett in the finale.

Ironically, back in February Gervais publicly endorsed Arnett for the top Office job. “Had a little meeting with NBC about various things,” he wrote on his personal blog, “and recommended Will Arnett for a regular in The Office. Thoughts? I think he’s amazing.”

Did NBC take his advice? Speculate away in the comments section!

1. mawhi says:

NBC DYNASTY! I love it.

2. Chrissy says:

I think he would be great. His character wouldn’t be like Michael Scott, and it would be hilarious in a different way.

3. Kim says:

Oooh…not a Will Arnett fan. I won’t be watching The Office anymore if that happens.

• sashay says:

I second that. Not a fan of him or Will Farrell. I was going to give the new Office a try, because I think the ensemble is excellent, but either of these obnoxious comedians will keep me away. Very polarizing choices, I think. People tend to either love them or hate them.

• sashay says:

I second that emotion! Can’t stomach Will Arnett or Will Farrell for more than two seconds. I won’t be watching The Office anymore if either of them takes Steve Carell’s place. Too bad. I feel the ensemble is strong enough to carry on without over-rated ‘big name stars.’ Most of them only get a line an episode anyway (thinking Creed, Angela, Toby, Kevin, Ryan and Kelly). At least Community has been renewed. It’s my favourite comedy by far, followed by Perfect Couples.

• J says:

I’m sorry but your whole statement was negated when you finished up with, “It’s my favorite comedy by far, followed by Perfect Couples”

• Bob says:

I agree, J, that rant was negated big time with the Perfect Couples reference.

• Nick says:

Agree with you both on that negating, but they do have a point on the Will Arnet and Ferrel sucking, and if either of those two become the new Michael Scott, I will not be watching this time next season thats for sure. Will Arnett is sometimes funny, but there’s a reason his shows keep getting axed. Because the only character he can play is a d-bag business guy. And that got old real quick a long time ago.

• Kim says:

I’m sorry but Perfect Couples is not well written, and the actors are very forgettable. I think The Office will be able to stay strong with the addition of Will Arnett. He is a wonderful comedic actor and will bring a refreshing new twist to the show.

• Unknown says:

You guys obviously don’t know who Will Arnett is, he played Gob from Arrested Development. Im sure most of you have not heard of him because you are only about 12 years old, do not make premature judgements if you have not seen Gob (will arnett) in action on Arrested Development, but i doubt that you children would even understand the humor so don’t even bother…I do not even watch the office but when i heard Will Arnett may become the next Michael Scott. Arrested Development was a masterpiece, a true classic…You 12 year olds are truly aggrivating

• Evelyn says:

It won’t be a lost if you guys stopped watching because of Will Arnett. Nobody cares if you decided to stop or continue with the show.

4. Jenna says:

Fan-freaking-tastic on both accounts.

Love Will! Love Love LOVE Ricky!!

5. Jones19 says:

I can’t think of anyone better. With that being sad, I think The Office has jumped the shark, it’s boring now.

6. deedith says:

ooohhhhh not bad. I can actually see it. Out of all the names being thrown around, I think he’s the best choice.

7. scott brecht says:

HOLY CRAP! Will definitely fits into the Dunder Mifflin universe! Great fit! His guest spots on 30 rock are hilarious and even more his cameo on Parks and Rec as Leslie’s blind date. A much better fit style wise than a GOB type character.

8. Stev says:

COME ON !

9. Casey says:

I LOVE Will Arnett! So this is amazing! I hope he takes over for Steve Carell. As long as he still has time to film the Arrested Development movie, I’m good. (:

10. Jamie says:

That would be amazing!!!

11. Suzanne says:

best casting news ever!

12. emmitwest says:

Darrell, Darrell, Darrell! He should be the replacement.

13. Steve says:

I don’t particularly care for Will Arnett, but you have to admit – the casting would be perfect.

14. kj says:

hmmm…I was ready to give up on The Office next season, but if this happens, I may just have to check it out. As long as it doesn’t get in the way of an Arrested Development movie!

15. mawhi says:

Except that I think it wouldn’t be great for his track record if The Office is looking to end in a season or two…

16. Katie says:

The only thing I can say to NBC is COME ON!! If they don’t cast Arnett then they’ll have made a huge mistake. What are they, chicken? KOCK A KAW!

• irishrose says:

Katie your AD references made me LOL!! are you going to tell the guy in the 3000 suit he can’t be on the office. COME ON! Love it!!!! i am a little nervous about ricky gervais returning. his first visit was perfect I hope they don’t mess it up. would like to see Will Arnett as boss but I think that’s just because I loved Gob as boss on AD and it seems like a good fit for michael’s replacement in the ineffectiveness;) it better not get in the way of an ad movie though;);)

• Mary says:

hahhahahaha! LOVE IT!

• Evelyn says:

Hahaha … loved the chicken impression by Arnett! He’s amazing! Love his humour!

17. RikerDonegal says:

This would be fantastic!

I SO wanted to like Running Wilde. And I tried. Lord knows I tried.

But it sucked.

But this… Will Arnett with these writers behind him? Could turn The Office into Must See TV again.

18. Troy says:

The Office needs to end now, now with Steve gone please let it end with some dignity.

19. Cosma says:

Nope. Michael was jerky but sweet, arnett can’t pull that off and just seems mean . Won’t watch 4 sure.

20. Carrie says:

I would love that. Will Arnett was hilarious in “Arrested Development”. I think it would be a mistake to try to replace Michael with a boss who behaves exactly like him. Arnett is funny in a very different way from Steve Carell.

21. Russ says:

Will Arnett? This is the best they can do? The Office Is my favorite because it is supposed to semi real. Arnett is not. Leave him on 30 Rock, he fits there (and I can’t stand that show so I don’t have to see him). If he’s the best they can get, bring in show killer Heather Locklear and finish off the show.

22. beast says:

They should replace Micheal Scott with Micheal Bluth, that would be something to see.jk
    I think will arnett would be a good choice.

23. brandy says:

I’ve been saying this needs to happen all year! Yay!

24. ruby says:

oh God please please let it be so

25. Kelly says:

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!! I have heard most of the names on the short list and I haven’t been this excited about anyone else. Will Arnett is hilarious and would be PERFECT!!!!

26. JenD says:

lovelovelove Arnett, am a huge Arrested Development fan. i worry tho’ that he’ll come across too much like Michael Scott 2.0. i think there are a lot of similarities b/w Arnett’s usual characters and Michael Scott (altho’ they aren’t as sweet natured as Michael is capable of being) I can’t stand Will Ferrell. I think the series needs to reinvent itself seriously (and well), or it should exit gracefully.

27. John says:

Arnett joining the ensemble would go well with their plan to re-balance the show as more ensemble-driven, since his characters tend to be more extreme and entertainingly unlikeable. I say they promote Darryl to branch manager and end up hiring Arnett as inventory manager, and have him sort of bitterly stuck, unable to advance.

28. Linda says:

Love that idea! :)

29. Erica says:

Will Arnett? YES, PLEASE!

30. Ken says:

Arnett has never been funny to me and I think he could derail the ensemble nature of the show and the only positive thing I can say about Gervase is he isn’t Russel Brand. British humor is funny but rarely translates into American without recasting.

31. mike says:

I am still hoping NBC will surprise us with PORTIA DE ROSSI as the new boss!

32. abc123 says:

So I guess they’ve decided to kill the show. He’ll run it into the ground by playing, well, the only character he knows how to play, a rich, spoiled, self-centered brat. Good luck finding a new comedy to anchor your failing Thursday night, NBC!

• Chris says:

What? Community? Parks and Recreation? Both are amazing shows, and The Office still is as well. I think you might be a bit sensationalist.

33. Juan Lopez says:

I LOVE Will Arnett, heck I even loved Running Wilde (but mostly for Russell and the girl’s character, I was dying to find out what her Thing was!)

Anywho, I don’t think it would work out for me, even though I love Arnett.

34. Teresa says:

Will and Ricky… the season finales will be awesome. :)

35. Dawn says:

JOB for “The Office” job would be great!

36. awsd says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

37. Sarabi says:

David Brent and Gob in the same episode? Awesome! :D

38. A fan says:

“Taste the happy…”

39. scott brecht says:

portia de rossi is way too hot to be in scranton, pa.

40. Kelly says:

I dont think he will be a good fit for The Office. Arnett is always way over the top, too obnoxious. I wish they could cast someone that isn’t in 30 Rock or SNL.

41. Glenn says:

Still wish they would consider Murray from Flight of the Conchords.

42. Kristen says:

Please, please let this happen!

43. Marcy says:

Pleeeeeeeeease, NO! Arnett’s voice grates on my nerves! He always sounds like he has to clear his throat!!

44. Ashley says:

Taste the Happy!! That would be awesome.

45. cashisking says:

I dont know I always kind of thought Jason Bateman would have been good. He’s so dry and condescending.

46. Jodie says:

LOVE Will Arnett and would give any show he is in a shot, however, just not sure about him as the “new Michael Scott.” Michael Scott was clueless, grating and sometimes downright oafish (hello George Foreman grill,) but he had a redeemable, lovable quality when all was said and done, so they made it work. I think some of that was writing, but a lot of it was Steve Carell’s style and acting ability. While we all know Arnett can bring the obnoxious and annoying, not sure they could balance it out. We’ll see though b/c I will definitely give it a watch. Truth be told, as others have said, maybe they should have just ended after the current season.

47. Midori says:

Great news! Now the show will finally get canceled!

48. Alice says:

Will Arnett is PERFECT. Perfect perfect perfect. I’m actually not crazy about him as an actor because he seems so slimy, but slimy and smarmy are EXACTLY what I picture for Michael Scott’s replacement. Michael Scott, even though he’s a bumbling idiot, does have an air of humanity about him. I can totally see the new boss going a different way (i.e. Smarmy, Condescending Douchebag). Michael means well. I think the new guy should just be outright evil, like Ryan.

49. Chris says:

I kind of wanted Darryl to take over. I don’t know. I think that would be awesome.

50. fedorafadares says: