Benjamin Bratt Joins Private Practice Cast

Private Practice will ends its season with a bang, by adding Benjamin Bratt as a series regular.

The Law & Order vet will first appear in the ABC drama’s Season 4 finale, then continue on as a full-time cast member come fall, says The Hollywood Reporter.

Private Practice‘s Charlotte and Cooper To Wed this Spring

Though there are no details on Bratt’s character, his arrival should come on or around the time of Audra McDonald’s exit from the series as an original cast member. As first reported by TVLine in February, McDonald is ending her full-time run as Naomi in order to spend more time with her family on the East Coast.

Private Practice Villainess Resurfaces

In addition to his four-season run as L&O‘s Detective Rey Curtis, Bratt’s TV credits include A&E’s The Cleaner, NBC’s E-Ring and, most recently, an appearance on ABC’s Modern Family as Gloria’s ex-husband. On the big screen, he has appeared in such films as Miss Congeniality, Catwoman and Traffic.

Private Practice fans, how would you like to see Bratt enter the mix? And which lucky lady would you point his way?

1. Stacie says:

Hmm. That’s an interesting casting coo for the show. I wonder how they will integrate him in. I would assume that it will have something to do with the void that Audra McDonald’s character will leave. I personally rather have Benjamin Bratt over Audra McDonald, so nicely done PP.

• nika says:

that’s my same exact thought. naiomi’s character went downhill…benjamin is more than welcomed :D

• ger says:

LOL @ casting “coo”.

• Misha says:

uhnm yeah, coup would be the schooled spelling:) But love BB and PP has been sooo much better this year, hope it gets even better and not just dysfunctional doctors

• lorna says:

Cool, I loved him in Miss Congieniality! Now get rid of Amelia please!

• redlippeddiva says:

totally agree with you – get rid of her now – she is like =/

• chillin' says:

Amelia is HOT! They just need to make her into a real character. She seems to just hang around and occassionally add to the drama by drinking or screwing up. How would such a messed up personality manage to become a brain surgeon? It doesn’t make sense.

• A Noun says:

It’s not a “casting coo”. It’s a casting coup. As in coup d’etat.

And it really is. Very cool.

2. Nerwen Aldarion says:

Nice to see Benjamin back on the small screen but I’ll admit, I’m shocked that he isn’t headlining his own show. Just didn’t expect a name like him to become one of the many in an already established show. Then again…Laurence Fishburn is on CSI.

• Tego Livi says:

Wonder if he’ll shave off that goatee–not that it’s ugly or anything, but I’m tired of it.

• chitown_mimi says:

@Nerwen, I totally agree with you. Benjamin has done alot of indie movies and has enormous talent. Kinda hate to see him “downgrade” to the small screen. But you know what, Private Practice needs some new blood. And Amelia is sooooooo annoying. I pray they don’t pair them up.

• Takethecannoli says:

Ditto Nerwin – Would love to see more leading male Latino actors on the big screen besides Antonio Banderas and the same ol, same ol Latino character actors (Tony Plana, Luis Guzman). Bratt has refinement, big talent and great looks + a hot factor! Maybe getting back on the small screen will put him on the big screen again. Let’s hope he has a good agent!

3. Melissa says:

I think Benjamin should play Charlottes ex husband.

• Kate says:

That would be awesome!!

• Mallory says:

oooh I like the way you think! That could be a very interesting storyline to play out? But honestly, why would they stir up some more drama for poor Charlotte and Cooper? :( Maybe Amelia will get some loving on the show!

4. Kris says:

I think he’d like to forget he was in Catwoman (as would we).

5. Candy says:

Great. Now I have to put Private Practice back on my DVR schedule. Love him!

6. xav says:

I guess they’re running out of men to pair Addison with since four of the cast members will be married by the end of the season. I think I would have preferred if they added Alex Kingston’s upcoming character as a love interest for Sheldon.

• Neil says:

I would have preferred Kingston’s character too, but she’s another shrink, isn’t she? I could see how that could be a problem.
      Bratt and Walsh could certainly make for an interesting onscreen pair, but I have little hope that the writers are finally ready to split up Addison and Sam.

• Erika says:

I would love nothing more than for them to break up Addison and Sam. It’s really making me lose interest in the show. I like Addison and Sam as characters, but together I cannot stand them.
      It would be great if BB was Addison’s new love interest. I think they’d have great chemistry together. Unfortunately, I don’t think Shonda will be breaking up AddiSam anytime soon, if ever. *sigh*

7. Deion says:

LOL at the forthcoming Tim Daly, Taye Diggs, and Benjamin Bratt sexy-offs.

8. Dominique says:

Yay this is awesome news, I love that man!! Although I wonder what his character’s purpose will be. Knowing Shonda, he’ll prolly be there for Addison, cause God forbid that that woman sticks to the same man for just one season and does NOT cheat or break up with them.

9. Sandra says:

I think it would be fun if he got paired up with Amelia. That would just be amazing.

10. Cassandra says:

I love Benjamin Bratt and he will be a great addition to the cast of Private. I’m sad to see Audra McDonald leaving but understand her need to put family first. I wanted to see Naomi in a healthy relationship other than Sam. I prefer Sam & Addie. As for who Bejamin Bratt should be paired with, would love to see a hook up with him and Amelia. I’d like to see loathing between the two at first with an intense attraction simmering underneath. I think they would heat up the screen once they come together. Bring on Benjamin and let the sparks fly between him and Derek’s hot-headed little sis.

11. Jamie says:

If Addie is pregnant, I think he could be her doctor. She can’t deliver her own baby. I am sure Shonda would make her pregnancy extremely difficult.

Then, he will probably be set up with Amelia.

• Jamie says:

Also, this could be why they haven’t released any more info. Also why they casted him as a regular without even testing him first.

• Chara says:

I totally agree. Addie probably gets a false/wrong result at the pregnancy test she takes in this episode and she believes she’s not pregnant and perhaps she faints or has a bleeding or sth else happens to her at the finale and Benjamin Bratt plays the doctor that attends her case. It could totally fit with the pregnancy blind item Ausiello posted the other day about an unexpected pregnancy that will leave both mom-to-be and dad-to-be surprised (cause of the wrong pregnancy test result and her infertility problems)and the rest of the characters if it gets revealed in such an unexpected way by season finale.

12. Jennifer says:

I hope and pray he’s for Amelia. It’s time for Amelia to finally get something and I hope Bejamin Bratt’s character will be the man to do it. Addison doesn’t need to look at another man let alone be with one. She needs to make it work with Sam.

13. Mary says:

Benjamin Bratt is a great addison to the cast. And as to who is character should be paired with, I have three words: AMELIA, AMELIA, AMELIA!!!

14. Mary says:

I meant to say addition not addison. I hope they keep Addison far away from the new guy.

15. Mohammad says:

I sincerely hope this is a new guy for Addison

Her and Sam have ZERO chemistry, I have no idea what people see in them

• Anna says:

YES I want him for Addison too. Also he is 47, far too old for Amelia.

• Tego Livi says:

Benjamin Bratt may be 47, but I suspect if you asked the people behind the show, they would peg his character as being somewhat younger (like late 30s). Acturs usually play younger than their real ages, unless they can’t (like if they have adult children, or their birthdate was established already), especially on TV series in which they are leads in romantic storylines.

• lorna says:

Agreed. I hate her and Sam together.

16. Lucy says:

Yummy! I would keep turning in each week just to see him!

17. anne says:

Oh my god I cannot wait!!! he is sooo hot!!

18. Ava says:

I don’t think Private Practice needed an addition to the cast. But if they had to have one it might as well be Benjamin Bratt. He’s a hottie. I hope his character is paired with Amelia. I think it would be interesting to see what their dynamic would be, especially as a couple.

19. Lauren says:

I’m guessing he’ll be for Derek’s sister. She hasn’t really had a love interest and the others are all paired off, unless they are going to do a love triangle.

20. flavia says:

OMG!!! thumbs up!!!

21. jen says:

Amelia is awful – I hope he murders here!

22. Neil says:

Not sure what to make of this. I think they should have hired one or two new writers instead. The writing is the show’s real problem. And the current writers are already struggling to give each character a certain amount of screentime. How’s that going to change with a high profile addition to the cast? This can only mean we won’t see much of Sheldon again once Bratt is on board. -sigh-

• Ava says:

I was thinking the same thing. I don’t think they need an additon to the cast epsecially not one as high-profile as Benjamin Bratt. I don’t see him wanting to play a supporting character to anyone.I’m afraid the show will become all about him and not about an ensemble cast with Kate Walsh as the lead as it should be. But I’m trying to stay positive and hope that’s not the case. I think his character would be great paired with Amelia though.

• sela says:

AGREED, many times over. but i have far more negative comments about the show in general.

this show is just one big mess. no character development, no continuity, just plain old cheap shock-value drama lama. no f*ckin thanks to those lazy writers who seem to pull the scripts out of their trash bins.

this show managed to kill whatever was cool or hot about Addison from Grey’s Anatomy, who was the major fan magnet for of this program. believe me, i tried to tolerate it. i loved Addison. i wanted to support her, but watching this PPP became a real drag. it was painful to step out of my denial bubble and accept how bad this show has become, but it’s the truth.

seriously there’s better shows to watch out there. and better ways for this talented (incredibly wasted) cast to make a living. and now a new addition in the form of BENJAMIN BRATT! damn. you’re gonna regret this, mr. bratt.

i’m surprised the network isn’t doing us all a favor and pulling a plug on this show already. spare me the countless seasons of waiting to have one of Addison’s precious few eggs fertilized! spare me the drama about whose bestfriend sleeps with whose husband, or who gets killed or raped this time. gah. who cares? the resources being directed at this worn-out show should be diverted to other projects worthy of attention.

• teniba says:

it eally is time for you to learn how to use romete control

• Neil says:

Why not leave it up to sela if and when she decides to quit watching? People usually have their reasons for sticking with a show – even if it’s just loyalty to the actors, remaining love for some of the characters, a bit of hope that it can somehow still get back on track or nostalgia. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with either one of these reasons or the need to vent over the course a show has taken.

• sid says:

I totally agree. The writing has been atrocious this season. Look at the Sam Addison story for example. They spent much of season 3 building it and now out of the blue, after less than a year of finally being with the woman he “loves”, Sam has feelings for Naomi again? This dynamic has been poorly managed. In fact, I think they may be bringing Bratt in for Addison which may be why they suddenly want to discredit Sam. It’s probably a ratings stunt to try and pair the lead with a well known actor. Well, if the writing sucks there is little star power can do so I hope they fix this probelem.

23. Katie says:

Kate Walsh and Benjamin Bratt would be hot together like they were in the Law and Order episode that Kate guested on years and years ago.

I hate Addison with Sam. They do NOT match.

And BB is too old for Amelia. She looks about 25 and he is 47.

24. Lorie says:

Just when I was ready to drop PP from my DVR, they pull me back in with Benjamin Bratt.

25. Bobbi says:

Very glad to see Benjamin back on TV! Not really fussy about his character. Will just be adding to the scenery! ;)

26. abc123 says:

So I guess I’m the only one not too thrilled about the news. Not that I have anything against the guy, but the show seems crowded as it is. I was looking forward to more screen time for the remaining 8 characters when Naomi exits the show (…unless she’s not the only one leaving? :O ).

Plus, now they’re going to have 5 guys and 4 girls. I’m thinking Amelia has to be paired up with someone (they only utilize her character like once every five episodes) but it does seem like Bratt’s character will be wooing Addison. Just as well – her and Sam-no chemistry!

27. Jellicle says:

I’m excited about Benjamin Bratt joining PP, but at the same time I was hoping that the LO:LA revamp would iclude bringing Det. Rey Curtis to the show. The character had moved to LA because of his wife’s health after all.

28. Eve says:

Naomi was getting so annoying. I would much rather have Benjamin Bratt on than her. I hate how Sam was so quick to forget how hard he pursued Addison and how she risked her friendship with Naomi to be with him and was willing to just give that all up in a snap to try again with Naomi. When Naomi said her relationship with Sam would always trump Addison’s and he just sat there and didn’t say anything it was so frustrating. He is treating Addison like crap!

29. GS says:

Love him and will be interested to see what they do with him. Amelia would be good cause she is annoying and needs a story. I don’t want him with Addison though. I’m over Sam and Addison but I want her with the sexy Latin dr. that Christian dude plays. Now he is one hot man and they smolder on screen together! You listening Shonda??? Glad to see Naomi leaving. She has been annoying since she left the practice the first time but I hope she ends up with Fife.

30. jaded says:

OOOoo, I don’t even watch PP but now that Benjamin is in it i might start watching! Love him!

31. Jack says:

Seriously, does anyone even watch this show anymore?

32. Roni says:

Another series regular is the last thing PP needs. They need to immprove the writing for the characters the already have before they should think of adding anyone new.

33. teniba says:

as much as i love the idea of Amylia having a life i do not see how they would waist a benjamin bratt on a secondar character, he is addison’s new man, addisam is going straight to the pooper, and don’t even worry that preganancy test will be negative… I wonder if they will bring in a new girl for Sam and my bet she will be latina or african american and it will work out very well…

34. tj says:

oh, thank heavens, someone for Addison! get rid of the boring snooze fest of her and Sam. Glad to her Cooper and Charlotte are getting married one blind item down.

35. Veronica says:

I don’t think they would bring Benjamin Bratt on PP simply because of a romance no matter who think he should be paired with. I think he was brought into PP because his character is interesting and he will have an interesting story to tell to spice up PP. I don’t think he will be paired with anyone for awhile. I think they will take the time to establish his character first. And like someone pointed out to me. WHy is everyone assuming his charater is straight? SHonda like to throw in these types of character twists.

36. Ilaria_M says:

I’ve never been a fan of Addison and Sam…I really wanted see Addison with the Latino doc played by De la Fuente, but since I can’t have him I really love see Benjamin Bratt there to be a new love interest (with a spicy and intriguing story)for Addison. The only good thing of this season was Charlotte and Cooper storyline

37. dana says:

In real life most doctors personal live are screwed up even if the professional live are perfect its hrd to have both something falls through the cracks