Amber Tamblyn: Before Leaving House, Masters Will Have a 'Juicy' Encounter with Thirteen

House‘s titular diagnostician won’t have med student Martha Masters to push around much longer. As first reported by TVLine, Amber Tamblyn‘s run will wrap up by season’s end, if not before May sweeps. And the actress’ decision to discharge herself from Fox’s hit medical drama didn’t come easy. “There is a reason I’m leaving,” Tamblyn shared as part of this in-depth interview with TVLine, “and it’s a really good reason.”

Read on for more about that, the big Joan of Arcadia reunion she enjoyed before checking out of Princeton-Plainsboro, and how “juicy” things will be when Masters gets Thirteen’s number. (House airs Mondays at 8/7c.)

TVLINE | How has it been for you, vying to be the voice of reason against Dr. Cranky Pants all season long?
You mean Dr. Hottie Pants? Dr. Sexy Face? I shot my last episode, and I’m sad to be done, but it was a really fun experience, something I would never take back.

TVLINE | You’ve had some really great verbal volleys with Hugh Laurie.
Yeah, they were really cool in writing me some great stuff when they didn’t have to do that. I could have just been the background doctor person, but they were great to me as an actor.

TVLINE | And wasn’t Masters fired once or twice along the way…?
Masters has been fired so many times by House, I can’t even keep track. [Laughs] When someone asks about that, I’m like, “Yeah, which time?”

TVLINE | Toward the end of last week’s episode, Masters said, “I was wrong, ” to which House said, “Not yet.” Was it your interpretation that he realized he went too far by “blowing up” that guy’s heart?
No, I don’t think he ever feels like that. [Laughs ] I think he was not being the champion that he usually is about himself. Normally he would be, “Ha-ha, I told you so. Idiot.” This is just a darker way of him expressing that he’s right without being egotistical about it. It was interesting to see, leading up to that, how he’s off of his game because of what’s going on with Cuddy, and his inability to make that work. He can get everything else in his life to work exactly the way he wants it to, but he’s pretty much handicapped in the relationship department — much the way Masters is in the social department.

TVLINE | At the end of the day, will Masters be better or worse for this experience?
I think she’ll be both. When characters leave House, they are forced to grow exponentially — whether it’s in a good way or in a bad way. [In the end] it’s a pretty fascinating thing that happens for her. It’s pretty unique.

TVLINE | This Monday’s Patient of the Week is played by Chris Marquette (Joan of Arcadia)– someone you know just a bit.
Yes, indeed! That’s actually happened twice now, because Sprague Grayden was on House [in mid-January]. But Chris and I worked pretty heavily together on Joan of Arcadia, so it was clearly as if nothing had ever changed. Like, I was making an inside joke that only he and I would know. Chris has an infectious laugh the way that Jason Ritter (The Event), who played my brother on that show, does, and it makes you want to make them laugh harder. Chris’ character is a pretty serious one for House, but still, we would get each other to laugh.

TVLINE | Was it pure coincidence that he was cast?
Total coincidence. In fact when I told the director, he was like, “Oh my god, I wonder what that would have done to my choice in casting him had I known that?” But we’re totally different characters than we were on Joan of Arcadia [playing boyfriend/girlfriend].

TVLINE | Before you leave House, will there be any overlap with you and Olivia Wilde?
We have two episodes — one where we actually work together — and it was super, super fun.

TVLINE | Does the fact that Thirteen is back (starting April 11) have anything to do with why Martha leaves?
No, it had more to do with us the actors. They really wanted me to stay, but there are reasons I have to leave, because of other things I’m doing. It was my 13th episode, and that’s when Olivia had finished her film and was due back. But I was glad — I was going to be real peeved if I didn’t get to do something with her, because I’ve heard nothing but amazing things. My boyfriend (actor/comedian David Cross) has worked with her, and I’ve heard she’s a really rad chick that I would get along with well. If they hadn’t given us at least one scene, with me being the only other female team member, it would have been a missed opportunity. I think they knew better than to pass that up, so they gave us some really cool scenes together. It will be definitely juicy for House fans.

TVLINE | So what are your plans for the spring, if not House?
I am taking a little break and adapting a book that I worked three years trying to buy the rights to.

TVLINE | So although leaving was a difficult decision, it was the right decision.
House is such a great environment to work in, exactly what every actor wants – good writing, steady work, great actors and great producers. I was the most sad to say goodbye to Hugh, because he’s the most incredible and giving actor to work with.

House fans, will you miss Masters when Tamblyn’s time on the show runs out later this spring?

Comments (340)

• No. I am glad she is leaving. I didn’t really care for her character at all.

Comment by carol – March 21, 2011 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Drop foreman keep Tamblyn. Dont care one way or another about OW.

Comment by ron – March 21, 2011 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Surprised no one mentioned her in General Hospital!?!?!??? Emily…………… miss her in that!

Comment by SHARON O'NEILL – March 21, 2011 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really wonder how many people who post REALLY watch the show. Masters is a med student, not a doctor – that’s why she is so young, honest, awkward, etc., etc., and gets House’s goat. She is supposed to be a square peg in a round hole and it takes a very good actor to play such a role. To make such a exciting, fresh person to be bland is not/can not be easy, I’m sure. All the “adults” on the show can BE adults, but she must be young and untried while surviving in the adult world. Follow the story line, people!! AND – wardrobe people – she is NOT in high school. Dress her a little better, please!!

Comment by Rita – March 21, 2011 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This character was not believable from the beginning. Third year med students can not practice medicine. They aren’t doctors,they’re students, which means they are learning to be doctors, They don’t know everything,they are LEARNING, . My son is a third year med student and I see what he is learning and know he is not ready to diagnose difficult diseases . The hospitals insurance would be revoked, they would be liable for fraud , she would never be able to get her license because she had been practicing withouta icense. Writers wake up!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by judy – March 21, 2011 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I couldn’t be happier to see her go… good riddance.

Comment by jarrod – March 21, 2011 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll be sad to see Masters go. I wish she was staying and 13 would leave permanently. Olivia Wilde must be the worst actress on television.

Comment by Andie – March 21, 2011 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad she’s leaving. She stuck out like a sore thumb.

Comment by Darren – March 21, 2011 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am glad thirteen is back on the show. I didn’t like Masters at all. I thought she was very boring. Thirteen fits in better with the team with the looks and the drama in her life and the fact of her and foreman’s previous relationship.

Comment by Lindsay Johnson – March 21, 2011 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Amber’s character. Would like to have seen her stay, but also miss Thirteen.

Comment by Jennifer M – March 21, 2011 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh yes we will miss Amber as Masters. She is a terrific actress and I feel really made House a better show. Now that House is back on the V, we really need her around! Good luck Amber!

Comment by laura – March 21, 2011 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m going to miss her so much, she is like young Cameron, a uber-cameron like someone said :D And she’s funny too, because she’s so innocent. I was quite a Cameron fan but she so made me forget about her.
    And what’s with actors doing whatever they want all the time and ruining the storylines? She’s leaving, Kutne’s actor left and he was killed off, Olivia Wilde does something else when she pleases.. that’s affecting the show and when watching it it doesn’t seem so real anymore.

Comment by Lyla – March 21, 2011 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BYE! Never really liked Masters, she is so irritating. I am SO happy that Olivia is coming back! I love 13, one of my favorite characters other than Cameron!!

Comment by samelizabeth – March 21, 2011 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not sad to see Masters go. She was just a replacement for Cameron as the voice of morality on the team. Nothing new or interesting there.

Comment by Elle – March 21, 2011 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really like Amber. I was disappointed when Joan of Arcadia ended and I will be disappointed that she leaves House. I look forward to see her scene with 13

Comment by Michele – March 21, 2011 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad Tamblyn is leaving the show. I could never understand why her character was introduced on the first place. Remember cut throat bitch? That was a great character! Cutting, funny, always keeping you guessing how far she’d go to get her way. Thirteen? Love her character and glad she’s coming back. I like Tamblyn, but her character just didn’t fit nor add much to the show.

Comment by .45 ACP – March 21, 2011 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it’s just odd to have Masters leave while 13 has been gone for so long. It’ll just be really awkward having her back. I’ll miss Masters. It’ll be good to see 13 again though.

Comment by amy – March 21, 2011 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank Christ masters is gone, 13 alongside house are amazing! She is iriplacable

Comment by Matty – March 21, 2011 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To bad she’s leaving the show. she added a freshness and warmth. The show was getting stale. I didn’t miss 13 at all. I was going to quit watching when tamblyn was added. I have watched the show from the begenning. You need to change Houses image, getting boring.

Comment by judy dillon – March 21, 2011 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If anyone every looked at the House website or even wiki they’d notice that Olivia Wilde is still in contract with FOX and House. She said she was coming back and Amber was only temporary anyways. She’s leaving a bit earlier than expected though, I thought she’d stay another season.

Comment by someguy – March 21, 2011 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will miss her. I’ll admit, I found her character tiresome at the beginning of the season, but she really grew on me. I AM looking forward to 13 coming back, though!

Comment by Candy – March 21, 2011 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gonna miss her, she’s cute, smart and totally believable in her character and a good foil for House.

Comment by Buster Salesberry – March 21, 2011 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Amber when she was on General Hospital. On House she just looked and acted awkward. Like she really didn’t belong there at all. I didn’t care for her character and felt she was not a good addition to the show. Won’t miss her that’s for sure.

Comment by Barbara – March 21, 2011 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Masters is the only credibly realistic female character on House. Seriously, a Dean who dresses like Cuddy? Maybe in a school of fashion design, definitely not medicine.

I like the idea of House, but some of the characters are just ridiculous in the way they’re written and cast.

Comment by tinar – March 21, 2011 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She is the reason I watched this season.
    House is losing my interest otherwise. She is an exceptional actress and her character gave House a much needed up-lifting.

Comment by Nana – March 21, 2011 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring back Cameron. She leaves Masters and 13 in the dust. She’s a much better actress and a more complicated character.

Comment by Ben – March 21, 2011 08:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait to see the new episode in 3 weeks. I hate to see her go because she dies add a different dynamic to the show, and she’s a hotter. I’m curious as to how 13 coming back will affect the show, and she hot too.
    The best thing that could happen, has happened though. I’m glad House and Cuddy are done. Don’t get me wrong, I love Cuddy and never want her off the show, and yes she’s definitely a hotter as well. I’m just glad to have the Vicodin popping, smarta$s House I’ve always liked, back again.

Comment by Sam – March 21, 2011 09:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Everywhere the word “hotter” is seen in my post is supposed to be “hottie”. Stupid autofill on this Droid lol.

Comment by Sam – March 21, 2011 09:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Niieeeeh…. Good actress, but I thought the part was… too “Miss Goody goody”….

Comment by Silastar – March 22, 2011 12:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good riddance. Sorry, but Masters was contrived, annoying, and interrupted the normal rhythm of the show. Time to get back to the team that works. Welcome back, Thirteen. We missed you.

Comment by Ann – March 22, 2011 03:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will defintely MISS Masters! She was beginning to develop great work relationships with the other doctors and had so much potential.
    I have been following Amber Tamblyn’s acting career since she was on General Hospital. It has been amazing to see her evolution as an actress. I agree with earlier comments that she & Olivia Wilde would have been a great combination for the show. Wishing her the very best in her new ventures and her personal life.

Comment by molly d – March 22, 2011 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Masters… Was cute, but sometimes that naive, almost pitiful, look of hers was slightly irritating. Especially in the beginning when her character was just being introduced, or any time she was about to cry. She’s a great actress, that’s without question, but she doesn’t fit in with the style of all the other women in the show. She’s more ‘cute and chunky’ than slender and sexy, innocent and sheltered rather than wild and extravagant. But that was her role – she’s a student on the team, who had little experience in the cruelty of the medial field. I think in the more recent episodes, where she’s manned up a bit, grew a pair, and does things on her own more, standing up to House – this all makes her a more appealing character, so yes, I’ll be sad to see her go. But at the same time, I’m in love with 13, so seeing her return is making me jump for joy. Out of all the ladies who’ve worked for House, I find her most attractive, and lets all agree, looks are a big, big, BIG part of a character. I think her role could be spiced up a bit more, especially after this disappearance and the development of her illness. But I’m definitely anticipating her return and an interesting encounter between these two ladies. Can’t wait until April! ;)

Comment by Ashley – March 22, 2011 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will definitely miss Masters. She has added so much more to the show with her compassion, and not willing to break the rules attitude. I am sad she is leaving.

Comment by Brenda – March 22, 2011 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad to see her go. I never really liked her character, the social awkwardness just seemed so played out and fake, plus I never liked her attitude, fashion sense, and general perkiness. I expected more with the Masters character with all the “oh she’s such a genius student!” crap that Cuddy was spewing in Masters intro episode. She never seemed like a super amazing med student to me, just fairly standard. The character had potential, but I think the writers just never developed Masters properly.

Comment by Dejah – March 22, 2011 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Master was the yin to House’s yang. Complimentary forces which are also polar opposites. The relationship is not about good vs bad but in reference to the moral dimensions, the dark places and the sunny places.

Comment by Peg – March 22, 2011 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I missed some of the episodes but why did thirteen leave? now she’s coming bak? Masters was okay but i was geting anoyed cause she kept solving all the cases. Then just cause she had to tell the truth to the patients like she had to do the rite thing i get it but it got anoying.

Comment by Stamatia – March 22, 2011 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amber Tamblyn’s character was Houses conscience!I will miss her

Comment by glenn – March 22, 2011 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad Masters is gone. What an annoying character. Maybe last week’s serial killer will come back and eat her.

Comment by ShootTheM14 – March 22, 2011 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll be sad to see Amber leave the show. At first, her character was annoying, but she was starting to grow on me. I was so glad to see Chris on last night’s episode, too (I kept expecting him to call her Jane, though lol).

On the other hand, I’ve been itching for when Olivia will come back. I like her character so much more; I think it might be because she Thirteen comes off as more damaged than Masters. The whole House team is damaged, and Masters didn’t really fit well into that niche.

Comment by vrtra – March 22, 2011 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have enjoyed Tamblyn as an actress since she was on General Hospital and hated to see her leave then, and since she has been on House she has brought a bit of fresh air and a new perspective to the show!! I loved it and wish she could stay long term!! Now the show will go back to the same old, same old, and although I will watch to see what happens it will not be with the same joy I did before!! Good luck and best wishes to Ms Tamblyn!! I hope the writers come up with new good stories to keep the fans interest in days ahead!!

Comment by Susan C – March 22, 2011 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m going to reach out here, and disagree with everyone. I think that House is the ONLY show on TV even worth watching at all! Thank goodness for its inception, television has become such a wasteland it isn’t even fathomable. It doesn’t matter to me WHAT they do with whom, the show is by far the best-written program on Fox, or anywhere else. Please….just keep the shows coming!

Comment by Jazz Guy – March 22, 2011 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • orry to read Amber is leaving. I thought her character on house was a good fit. I’ve enjoyed waching her act since she was on General Hospital. She was crazy great on Joan of Arcadia and has done well on the big screen too. Good luck Amber! I’ll look forward to seeing what it is you plan to bring next. (BTW: LOVE your godfather: Neil Young!!)

Comment by Tina – March 22, 2011 05:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • miss u masters…. :(

Comment by Sid – March 22, 2011 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I never liked Thirteen’s character. I’d rather keep Amber Tamblyn anyday. What a drag.

Comment by Linda – March 22, 2011 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad that Masters is leaving; she’s boring. Thirteen is awesome and I can’t wait to have her back.

Comment by Caroline – March 22, 2011 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES, I will miss Amber. She is a wonderful actor and I have been watching her since her time on General Hospital. I was bummed about Joan of Arcadia being taken off and I will miss her on House. I did not even notice Thirteen being gone.

Comment by janice – March 22, 2011 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A resounding “Yes” to missing Amber on HOUSE! I would much prefer the “freshness” of Amber’s Masters than than Olivia’s salty, stale 13! Good Luck Amber!!

Comment by NiaB – March 23, 2011 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am glad the character’s leaving.She is soooooooooo annoying with her holier-than-thou attitude.Now it would be great if House got back to solving mysteries and laid off all the personal soap opera drama.

Comment by diane – March 23, 2011 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes, her character is annoying. That’s what she’s supposed to be. She’s talented and I think she’s hot. The show will carry on without her.

Comment by Jeff – March 23, 2011 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am glad Masters is leaving. Her character is just as useless as Taub and Forman. I say bring on Thirteen!!! This fantasy story of the goody two shoes med student cannot end soon enough for me! Why drag it out? Make the show like you used to and quit trying to change House into Alan Alda! We all know House will kill himself at the end of the series so why torment him with pointless characters and stupid side stories that go nowhere!!! Bye Bye Masters and please take Forman and Taub with you!!

Comment by Rich – March 23, 2011 11:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post