Wonder Woman First Look: Yay or Nay?

Here’s your first look at Friday Night Lights‘ Adrianne Palicki channeling her inner Lynda Carter in NBC’s David E. Kelley-produced Wonder Woman reboot. The pilot — which is currently in production — is one of several high profile projects in contention at the Peacock.

Take a good long look at the image and then vote in our poll.

1. Sille says:

Looks like a cheap Halloween costume. Hate it.

2. Hmmm.

By and large, I think the design is pretty good, but the execution could use work. (I don’t think it’s a matter of the designers using low-quality material, necessarily, but simply the wrong material.)

For me, the problem isn’t that the suit is shiny; for one thing, the degree to which that’s an issue is likely to depend a great deal on the scenic/lighting design and cinematography of the show as filmed. The shine may be a problem, or it may not. My concern that the blue “pants” look stiff rather than stretchy or flexible; I have to wonder how long it takes to shoehorn Ms. Palicki (or her stunt double) into them, and how well one is able to move and perform athletic feats while wearing them. [The reader may gather from this that I have very little direct experience of people wearing latex bodysuits. The reader would be right. :-) ]

Obviously, the degree to which this latter point is an issue may also depend on the show’s other creative choices. If Palicki’s WW changes costumes via magic/SFX, as Lynda Carter’s did, then viewers won’t worry about her wearing pants that take 20 minutes to put on. But if we’re expected to believe that she simply dodges into a phone booth…er, make that the back of her limo…and switches from a corporate power suit to this outfit(or vice versa) in 90 seconds flat, then we just might have a credibility issue.

3. jabz says:

no way…come one she don’t even have the perfect face the angst and the kick ass look of Wonder Woman..

4. Kaibosh says:

I don’t get the hate. She looks frickin AWESOME!! Hot with a capital H-O-T! I don’t understand all of the “the boots are the wrong colour crap” etc. Its Wonder Woman! The whole costume from the beginning was ridiculous. If purists are going to complain about deviating from the comic; then complain about the plot. As for looking like Wonder Woman. Sorry most of you are dead wrong. This is a picture of Wonder Woman.

5. Jennifer says:

Is it possible to make this costume NOT slutty? I wish there were…. would much rather WW look like a bad a*s instead of whore.

6. Ashley says:

Well, I’m glad she’s in pants and not a mini-skirt or short-shorts. But the top? How can she fight crime when her boobs could fall out with even the slightest movement? They could at least add some straps and trust that Adrianne Palicki is beautiful and sexy enough to carry off wearing just a little bit more.

7. Taylor says:

Is it just me, or does it look kind of hooker-ish?

8. Maricela says:

She looks like a black haired geeky guy’s Barbie doll come to life a la “Weird Science.”

9. Beezle says:

NAY x 1000. Simply Awful.
    The actress is fine. She’s a pretty girl. The costume, however, is the WORST. What were they thinking?

10. Nick says:

How come outfits for superheroines are more victorian now than they were in the seventies?

It’s cheap, it’s nasty, it’ll fil miserably like bionic woman, and I won’t even watch the pilot.

11. O says:

Poor Adrianne wouldn’t her boobs pop out when she’ll do some action??

• Two words: body glue.

For all the issues various folks have with the outfit, I don’t think popping out of it is a likely problem, at least not for TV-production purposes. That said, if I were a woman designing a costume for engaging in actual superheroics, I wouldn’t create one I had to be glued into….

12. Kelly says:

So, someone pulled this off a clearance rack at a Halloween store, right? This is someone’s bad idea of a “Sexy Wonder Woman” costume, right?

13. ttestagr says:

She looks like she’s wearing a rubber fetish outfit. Hell, I’m pretty sure you can find Wonder Woman rubber fetish outfits that look less like one than this monstrosity.

14. Ella14 says:

I don’t like it but I’m gonna have to see the show first and see if its great

15. musica1 says:

If they were going to have the hideous outfit, couldn’t they have at least cast someone with real breasts? The outline of her implants is so prominent in that outfit, she might as well be wearing them outside her skin.

16. Lauen says:

If they wanted to make it somewhat more modern, couldn’t they try to do something like the comic’s updated look for her?

17. Tony J says:

it just looks like a cheap costume for halloween… this really sucks!

18. jpooch says:

I think it looks great. Actually, its the most promising thing I’ve seen/heard about the show since it was announced Kelley would be behind the show. Every subsequent tidbit has been meh until now. I think it retains enough of the classic look to be identifiable without doing too much altering. There was no way that they were going to win completely with the look. If they went classic people would complain it just doesn’t work for tv and if they re vamped it, it wouldnt be classic enough and cause an uproar (see current comic book costume change as example). While no costume will get universal praise, this is a nice concept of classic with small tweaks. Now if they can work on not making the pants so shiny

19. John Adcox says:

I love the design, but the execution looks so … plastic.

20. Michelle says:

My first thought is “Hello, fake boobs.”
    Second is: wow, that’s a really ugly take on the WW costume.

21. CJ says:

It looks like it would squeak, when she runs.

22. This outfit is HORRIBLE!! Why is she wearing tight, cheap, flashy Halloween costume?? If they want to go with a pantsuit okay but can she please get some better material?? And she is also too made up for a superhero.

23. lee says:

thought it was btill pilot epsoide could be an alternitve to smallville and dollhouse combined acting not the story