Wonder Woman First Look: Yay or Nay?

Here’s your first look at Friday Night Lights‘ Adrianne Palicki channeling her inner Lynda Carter in NBC’s David E. Kelley-produced Wonder Woman reboot. The pilot — which is currently in production — is one of several high profile projects in contention at the Peacock.

Take a good long look at the image and then vote in our poll.

1. lina says:

This looks completely cheap, like a picture out of a Halloween catalogue.

2. Tucker says:

I would ask that everyone keep in mind that this is shot in a studio under full lights. There’s a definite sheen but the lighting is blown out a bit to get such a picture. I’m betting it won’t look nearly as shiny on-screen.

Now, as for the design, that’s a personal preference. According to the story, this is sort of a Wonder Woman 2.0 or 3.0 outfit. The action figures they sell of Wonder Woman in the story will have the traditional looking costume on. I think I heard there might be a glimpse of Adrianne in the original duds as well.

Personally, I like it.

3. XK says:

Don’t totally hate it, but they need to move away from the bright blue pants, (something darker would work better), and some better fabrics… as someone said, it looks a bit like a halloween costume, but I think that’s as much because of the general shininess/cheapness of the material as anything.

4. XK says:

Oh and the boots should definitely be red, not blue. (Which won’t be as much of an eyesore if they change the pants to a dk blue or black)

5. tracy says:

My biggest beef is the too red, too thick lipstick.

6. Allie says:

I can’t even get past the face to comment on the outfit.

How did NBC manage to make Adrianne Palicki look like a cross between Khloe Kardashian and Amber from Teen Mom? I miss Tyra Collete.

7. Chancey says:

Way too shiny looks like its out of the late 80 s

8. Allison says:

Um, no. Just…no.

9. Beatrix says:

Yikes. That is a lot of outfit for one person. I think it’s hideous. Too shiny, too many Ws, the crotch on the pants is insane, clashing gold/silver elements…are the boots and pants separate or is it like a jumpsuit with built in shoes? I hope they seriously revise this costume before the show starts!!! What about checking out the comic version of the modern wonder woman???

10. KCB says:

Oy! That looks like something someone bought at Party City for Halloween…. :-/

11. JRose48 says:

Uh, no. How about the new costume in the comics? The black pants are pretty cool. Here’s a picture of issue 606: http://www.dccomics.com/dcu/comics/?cm=16261

12. Emma says:

Did she escape from an 80s theme party? That looks so cheap and plastic-y. Anyone with a can of spray paint and some model painting experience could have made the “golden” parts look more -golden.

Also, I can’t decide if that’s bad airbrushing or bad composing-from-multiple-photos, but the area between her belt and her crotch looks ridiculous.

13. Miss Lisa says:

meh.. the bodice is ok, but the pants scream “disco round” to me. Might as well slap some roller wheels on her boots and do a remake of Roller Boogie instead. What’s wrong with tights? all the best superheros wear them..AND THEY ARE MEN! Heaven forbid a actual woman superhero is wearing tights… NOOOO not Wonder Woman!

14. Jessiekins says:

Epic fail. Hate. And while I tried to take a “good long look” as requested, it was so shiny and tackily colored I was afraid I would go blind.

15. cjinsd says:

She looks like a teenager in a halloween costume. Not someone to be taken seriously.

16. SnazzyO says:

1) Should have gone w/ leather not plastic
    2) Boots should be red
    3) I’m fine w/ pants — more practical
    4) Yo, tone down the lipstick!

17. DB says:

As long as she jumps over trees, repels bullets and makes me tell the truth, I’m in.

18. elizabeth says:

Adrienne is gorgeous but she looks absolutely terrible here. I agree with the upthread “hooker who could probably kick your ass” assessment. All the cheap-looking plastic and shiny pleather is a huge mistake.

And as I recall, part of the script involved a scene with her complaining about unrealistic bust sizes on Wonder Woman action figures, and pouting that it would be hurtful if she meets someone in person who says her boobs aren’t as big as they thought. I…am pretty sure she won’t be having that problem in this costume unless the action figures she’s looking at literally have beach balls for breasts. She looks absurd and not exactly like a capable warrior with her boobs shoved up as close to her ears as they can get them. Ugh.

I really wanted this show to succeed, because I hate that comic book projects with female protagonists are denounced. People keep pointing to Elektra and Catwoman as reasons “girl superhero movies” don’t work, except the reason those didn’t work was because they were *terrible movies*. I was hoping Diana would fare better, but between the terrible script reviews and this ridiculous costume, it’s looking like another trainwreck to add to the pile of “reasons execs won’t throw money behind female superhero adaptations.”

19. MoxieSue says:

I don’t really have a problem with the outfit. The problem is that Adrienne Palicki looks like she’s playing dress-up. I don’t think she can pull this roll off.

20. Lee says:

The girl is gorgeous in person, so I have no idea what the makeup artist did to her face. Love Adrianne Palicki, but am not a fan of the WW costume. To echo earlier statements, the design isn’t bad, but the plastic, metallic feel just makes the whole outfit look cheap. Hopefully, this isn’t the WW outfit they settle on.

21. Deegaroo says:

NOT A FAN. I remember the old one and I’m really sick and tired of Hollywood re-doing the same stuff over and over. Doesn’t anyone have any new ideas in LA?

22. Sterling says:

Do we really need a costume? Can’t she just be badass without one?

23. ari says:

the look seems so stiff on her and forced. they should find something else. so yeah hate it

24. Jimmy B says:

Looks like a nerdy fan dressed up like Wonder Woman.

25. Jessie says:

She is beautiful, how did the manage to make her look ugly in the picture? what’s with the hair? The outfit is fine I guess, not cool though.

26. N says:

My boyfriend summed it up perfectly: “If the top weren’t so low, the material weren’t so shiny, the pants weren’t so cheap and thin, and the boots were RED…I’d still probably hate it.”

27. John Berggren says:

Not loving it. It looks like a halloween costume. And is it just me, or is her face a weird shape?

28. Doug says:

looks like a photoshop fake. The boots should be red too. Pretty bad, but the expectations for this show are so low it doesn’t really matter. Too bad too, because after Lone Star flopped and Red Dawn is stuck in limbo and FNL ended, she deserves a good role.

29. TigerNightmare says:

It looks more like a cheap home-made costume than an outfit crafted by the Greek gods. Such a shame.

30. Coco says:

You know what bothers me more than the ugly blue condom pants? The bracelets should be GOLD.

31. Jdsmoothe says:

Hahaha! Did they really expect people to like this costume when they decided to give us a first look? I hope they read these comments because if they do I would personally like to say how whack this new Wonder Women costume is and that they should definitely go back to the drawing boards (see Captain America for how to do it correctly). What they should do is put it out on the shelves in October for Halloween, now that would be right on.

32. Liz says:

I can’t imagine fighting crime in a tube top. I guess one of WW power’s is her amazing ability to keep her boobs in check. I really was hoping for a more modern costume. It’s just stupid looking.

33. LULU says:

It’s hard to make Adrianne Palicki look unattractive, but they’ve managed it here.

34. Abe Froman says:

I think it’s the headband that is making it look like a Halloween costume. Lose that and it may work better.

35. Michelle says:

Why is she wearing PLEATHER?! And the makeup’s all wrong. They managed to make poor Adrianne look UGLY. That is QUITE a feat.

36. misha says:

Ugg, even the headband looks weird. Why is it inverted like that? Fail.

37. Cali says:

I think in a movie, this costume could work, but in a TV show… I think it’s just too much. TV shows have a more toned down quality and this costume on TV will just look silly.

38. kat says:

I had to write a bunch of super cheesy costume descriptions for a website where the owner wasn’t a native English speaker (not my finest work). It was hard because the costumes were so horrible and cheap looking. Like a slutty mom Alice in Wonderland posing with a little girl in the kid version. They all looked plastic and whore-y. And much higher quality than this.

39. AlistairCrane says:

I like everything about it except for the ridiculous tits. But I LOVE that she’s wearing pants and not those ridiculous underoos from the comic. Actually, this design is close to her new look in the comics, just without the leather jacket.

40. tvgirl48 says:

I wish they would have hired an actress with the right natural hair color. I don’t think the black hair looks good on her at all. Add the dye job to the shiny retro suit, and she kinda does look like a nerdy hooker.

41. ahmed says:

Je saihaitee ma fille # 18 a 28ans #

42. Poster067 says:

hideous from the plastic boots to the top o her plastic looking face and everything “fake” in between…please recast someone real who is more like Linda Carter!

43. Erin says:

I don’t hate it, but I don’t love it either. I don’t think it matters either way, because for some reason I don’t think the show will last. Just sayin’.

44. TJCrinc says:

aside from the wrong boots, the outfit is too spandex-y. i say go with the fabric they use for the catsuits in star trek (T’Pol/7of9). that would be a better material.

45. keith2twit says:

Nay, nay, not attractive, practical or alluring.

46. Tony says:

I’ll be in my bunk.

47. Renee says:

It looks cheap! Like you would find this costume at Walmart.

48. Sheri odom says:

My hubby’s says almost as good as lynda Carter but said it will do

49. Rachel says:

looks cheap, like a halloween costume you pick up at a store.