Pilot Scoop: Connie Britton Snags Lead in Ryan Murphy's American Horror Story

Get More: News, Pilots, Scoop

Horror? This is more like an American dream.

Friday Night Lights‘ Connie Britton has snagged the female lead in American Horror Story, FX’s much-buzzed-about drama pilot from Glee bosses Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk.

Britton — who is also developing an FX drama with Fighter director David O. Russell — will play the role of Vivien Harmon, one half of the show’s central couple. Vivien is described as a force to be reckoned with in spite of her vulnerable demeanor.

The Horror premise is being kept under tight wraps, but this much I can reveal: Each season will feature an entirely new cast. As a result, if the project gets a green light, Britton would only be under contract for one season. So she could conceivably finish Horror and segue right into the new project with Russell.

Comments (12)

• Don’t know if I can get over anything, but Tami Taylor, but will def. watch cause I adore CB!

Comment by shockpop08 – March 18, 2011 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG YES! connie connie connie! love her and can’t wait to see her back on TV. too bad it’ll only be for 1 season. but i’ll take what i can get!
    is this scheduled for the fall? and does this mean she won’t be in the david o. russell drama if that gets made too?

Comment by Bee – March 18, 2011 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As much as I love Connie, I wish she wasn’t on a Ryan Murphy show. He’s gonna mess his new show up just like he messed up Glee and Nip/Tuck…

Comment by Mohammad – March 18, 2011 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not sure what I think about there being a new cast each season. Of course, with the way FX dramas have done in the ratings recently (Terriers, Lights Out) there will only be one season.

Comment by Pug – March 18, 2011 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ofcourse i’ll watch this. After the casting of Dylan Walsch in that CBS drama i’m having some major withdrawals from Nip/Tuck. Time to stick those DVDs in the player.

Comment by Sam – March 18, 2011 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The negative? Ryan Murphy. The positive? Connie Britton. Her talent was wasted away in the drivel that was Friday Night Lights. We’ll see about this RM project.

Comment by Tania – March 18, 2011 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think Troll HQ needs to put a moratorium on the word “drivel”. It’s a dead giveaway now.

Comment by John – March 19, 2011 07:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Each season a different cast, like Harper’s Island was going to be or is the title misleading?

Comment by deedeedragons – March 18, 2011 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Connie, so I’ll probably watch this despite the fact that Ryan Murphy seems to like to ruin his TV shows. I’m afraid that nothing will be able to take the place of Friday Night Lights.

Comment by Amanda – March 18, 2011 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cool! Connie is terrific. I knew it would not be long before someone snagged her. She has good taste in shows so perhaps there is hope for the Ryan Murphy project. Sounds interesting.

Comment by Menda – March 18, 2011 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And, yet again, Murphy recognizes talent. Too bad he often kills it with his heavy handed form of “edge” and “camp.”
    I fear this show is going to be like Harper’s Island, killing off the characters, which would explain the need for a new cast every season. If H.I. taught television anything, it’s that watching characters you like die every episode isn’t as much fun as it sounds.

Comment by Sam – March 18, 2011 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post