Pilot News: Christina Applegate Returns to NBC

One of pilot season’s hottest properties is officially off the market: Christina Applegate has landed the lead role in an untitled comedy from Saturday Night Live‘s Lorne Michaels.

The project, written by SNL scribe Emily Spivey, is described as an irreverent look at parenthood from the perspective of an acerbic working mother (Applegate), her stay-at-home husband and opinionated parents.

This marks new-mom Applegate’s first NBC series since the demise of Jesse in 2000. She most recently headlined the late, great ABC comedy Samantha Who?

1. Bee says:

ahhhh this is exciting. LOVE her. hope it gets picked up.

2. Scott says:

She was VERY unlucky with Jesse. If I remember correctly, isn’t Jesse famous for being the show that got cancelled with the highest ratings? Or something like that.

Again, she was unlucky with Samantha Who? ABC should have renewed it instead of giving the abomination that was Hank a greenlight.

So I do hope that although the NBC expectations for comedy shows are much lower than the other networks, well CBS anyway, that she does find success with this new show to keep on tv for a few years.

3. Pat says:

I like Samantha Who – they should have given it more of a chane

4. Lorie says:

I really hope this one works out for her.

5. Mike says:

I had never heard of Jesse before and just did a quick Google search on it… What the hell was NBC thinking canceling a show that averaged 16.38 million in it’s second/final season?

• Steven says:

It’s hard to believe, but for NBC at the time that was low rated. Amazing how things have changed in 10 years.

• Sara says:

Actually the only thing that was holding NBC together at the time were New York ’90s sitcoms, like Seinfeld anf Friends. But after 90’s sitcoms fizzled out. NBC had to come up with a new idea, and I guess family sitcoms were the ones. I have to admit, they should’ve kept Jessie. I’ve never seen it but I did research. It did have very high ratings! But I did read on Wikipedia that Jessie did loose a lot of ground due to Friends.
        I think this new sitcom will last a while! Hopefully over 2 seasons! It’s nice to see Christina back after her last series ended ( Samantha Who?)

• Tami Lynn says:

Thank you Mike, I was a producer on the show of JESSE, and it should have never been canceled with numbers like that.

6. Jeri says:

Samantha Who and Jesse were both great shows – hope this one has better luck. I’m a fan – wish the networks were.

7. Justin says:

Love her! Will watch anything she’s in because she’s great.

8. Nadine says:

I was a fan of both Jesse and Samantha Who, and will tune in for the new show. CA is the best, she has great timing.

9. Brock says:

OMG – yes, please NBC. Make a smart decision and get some Applegate!

10. eddie watson says:

Always confuses me, these morons that have the power over so many seem to have no talent for spotting talent. When a show ‘makes it’ they take the credit and bathe in the sun that beams from the butts. Even though they pushed to have it cut. When a show tanks, even though they pushed to have it on the air they blame someone else. Men like this, and they are mostly men, have tried to Can shows amd movies that end up being classics and live on for years as the ‘best’ of thier time. It’s only the little guys that push to have the show or movie done becuase they actually DO have the talent to spot something good that give them to us. They have what it takes to get to where they want to be, at the top, but once there they have no talent to actually DO THE JOB. Their talents are having the ability to betray, cheat, lie, deceive and destroy. So when they get to the top, they have no idea how to do the job of picking the good shows and spotting the talent that is right in front of them. Christina Applegate is one of the best going around and has been for decades now. But all these morons see is Kelly Bundy. Not that Kelly Bundy is anything to be ashamed of, she showed an increadable talent from a young age and has inproved from that time on. Unlike so many talentless women that are on now, I don’t know what they do to get thier shows and the rolls they have, but its got noting to do with talent, well, not the talent of acting anyway. I love Christina, every show she has been on has been great. Maybe she is just a little too honest for the CEO’s to handle. If they gave her a chance she would be a hit and then they could say it was all thier idea, so I’m not sure why they seem to shy away from her. I wish her luck with anything she does, would love to see her back on the screen.