Pilot Scoop: Jimmy Smits Gets Dramatic for NBC

Get More: News, Pilots, Uncategorized

Jimmy Smits has been tapped as the last major lead in NBC’s untitled Stephen Gaghan pilot (formerly S.I.L.A.), a complex ensemble drama in the style of  Traffic and Syriana set in the world of crime, law enforcement and politics in sprawling modern-day Los Angeles.

The pilot centers on Los Angeles Mayor Mayor Alfonso Morales (Smits) and his Special Investigations Unit led by detective Terry Mullins (Noah Emmerich), who has returned to LA to reconnect with his 15-year-old daughter Jennifer (Emma Dumont) and try to get along with his ex-wife and Jennifer’s mother, high-powered attorney Mary McCarthy (Madchen Amick). Morales is a man full of ambition who cares deeply about his city, power and women, perhaps in reverse order.

Tags: ,

Comments (7)

• All of NBC’s drama pilots look very strong on paper. Should be interesting to see which ones get picked-up.

Comment by DryedMangoez – March 17, 2011 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m rooting for 17th Precinct and REM the most. And Wonder Woman only because of Adrianne Palicki. Grimm, Smash, Playboy and now SILA look interesting too.

Comment by DryedMangoez – March 17, 2011 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really like Jimmy Smits & hope this one sticks…call me crazy, but I would have loved if L&O LA had tapped him to replace Skeet Ulrich rather than have Alfred Molina’s character step down as ADA to once again become a detective.

Comment by Lulu – March 17, 2011 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think L&O LA is a sinking ship so better Smits didn’t get the stink of that on him. On a side note, how annoyin gis it that the promo for the return totally give away a major spoiler and the announcer syas it’s the first time in L&O history it’s ever happened…wrong.

Comment by Buffy Freak – March 18, 2011 04:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This one sounds good. I’m glad that Smits is getting another chance as a lead next season. Outlaw was a disaster, but he should have known better than to join some generic law procedural. This one sounds like a an interesting ensemble drama.

Comment by Don J – March 17, 2011 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ANOTHER cop show? I bet you can’t count how many crime shows there are on TV right now.

Comment by DN – March 18, 2011 07:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I had hoped that the announcement of Aaron Sorkin’s new pilot would lead to a role for Jimmy Smits, but either way, I’m just glad he’ll be back on television…now here’s hoping this drama sticks! Good Luck Mr. Smits!

Comment by Christina – March 18, 2011 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post