Pilot Scoop: Jimmy Smits Gets Dramatic for NBC

Jimmy Smits has been tapped as the last major lead in NBC’s untitled Stephen Gaghan pilot (formerly S.I.L.A.), a complex ensemble drama in the style of  Traffic and Syriana set in the world of crime, law enforcement and politics in sprawling modern-day Los Angeles.

The pilot centers on Los Angeles Mayor Mayor Alfonso Morales (Smits) and his Special Investigations Unit led by detective Terry Mullins (Noah Emmerich), who has returned to LA to reconnect with his 15-year-old daughter Jennifer (Emma Dumont) and try to get along with his ex-wife and Jennifer’s mother, high-powered attorney Mary McCarthy (Madchen Amick). Morales is a man full of ambition who cares deeply about his city, power and women, perhaps in reverse order.

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: News, Pilots, Uncategorized

1. DryedMangoez says:

All of NBC’s drama pilots look very strong on paper. Should be interesting to see which ones get picked-up.

2. Lulu says:

I really like Jimmy Smits & hope this one sticks…call me crazy, but I would have loved if L&O LA had tapped him to replace Skeet Ulrich rather than have Alfred Molina’s character step down as ADA to once again become a detective.

• Buffy Freak says:

I think L&O LA is a sinking ship so better Smits didn’t get the stink of that on him. On a side note, how annoyin gis it that the promo for the return totally give away a major spoiler and the announcer syas it’s the first time in L&O history it’s ever happened…wrong.

3. Don J says:

This one sounds good. I’m glad that Smits is getting another chance as a lead next season. Outlaw was a disaster, but he should have known better than to join some generic law procedural. This one sounds like a an interesting ensemble drama.

4. DN says:

ANOTHER cop show? I bet you can’t count how many crime shows there are on TV right now.

5. Christina says:

I had hoped that the announcement of Aaron Sorkin’s new pilot would lead to a role for Jimmy Smits, but either way, I’m just glad he’ll be back on television…now here’s hoping this drama sticks! Good Luck Mr. Smits!