Pilot Scoop: Donald Sutherland Joins NBC's Newest Comedy Experiment

Acting vet and onetime Dirty Sexy Money patriarch Donald Sutherland has landed a lead role in NBC’s comedy pilot My Life as an Experiment, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Produced by Jack Black, Experiment chronicles the adventures of gonzo magazine journalist A.J. Wilder (comedian Jon Dore) and how his unique profession impacts his family (including wife Stacie, played by Criminal Minds‘ Paget Brewster).

Sutherland will play Stacie’s dad and A.J.’s father-in-law, a highly respected, very accomplished heart surgeon and a pompous, arrogant guy to boot.

The potential series is based on the best-selling book by journalist/author A.J. Jacobs, Guinea Pig Diaries: My Life As An Experiment.

Comments (9)

• I absolutely love Paget Brewster and will watch anything she does and adding Donald Sutherland makes me even more hopeful that this pilot is successful.

Comment by Ashley – March 17, 2011 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Holy run-on sentence Batman. Sorry about that!

Comment by Ashley – March 17, 2011 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it just me or do shows with the word “life” in their titles not have much longevity? “My So Called Life,” “Life Unexpected,” “Life”; I’d change that title, it’s uninspired.

Comment by Alicia – March 17, 2011 05:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL! That’s true, though.

Comment by Maddie – March 18, 2011 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t bother changing the name. This is really selfish but, the sooner MLAAE gets cancelled the sooner Paget returns to Criminal Minds!

Comment by CM – March 20, 2011 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At first I was hoping this show would fail so Paget would go back to Criminal Minds but hearing Donald Sutherland is now a part of the cast makes me rethink. This could actually be a success and lord knows TV can use more good comedies right now.

Comment by Amiee – March 17, 2011 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was thinking the exact same thing. Althougj I would still really miss Paget’s character Emily Prentiss on CM. Even though she wasn’t originally on the show it feels she belongs on the show

Comment by Roy – March 18, 2011 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jon Dore is an amazing comic, and the idea of possibly seeing him on national TV in the U.S. (should the pilot be picked up) has me really excited.

Adding Donald Sutherland to the mix makes the show extra Canadian, which can’t be a bad thing!

Comment by metal2000 – March 18, 2011 02:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t think much about it when I first heard about the show but now I’m starting to get excited. Great cast! I really hope this does well.

Comment by Jazz – March 18, 2011 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post