Breaking: NBC Renews The Office, Community and Parks and Recreation

Get More: News, Renewals

It looks like some of that Irish luck is rubbing off on our favorite Greendale/Pawnee peeps today: NBC has renewed Community and Parks and Recreation for a third and fourth season respectively. In less surprising news, the Peacock has also picked up The Office for an eighth season — its first without Steve Carell.

“I am so pleased to renew these three outstanding comedies which are all at the top of their game creatively,” said NBC Chairman Bob Greenblatt.  “Along with [the already-renewed] 30 Rock, they represent the best of what the NBC comedy brand stands for in terms of originality, wit, and sophistication. The Office continues to fire on all cylinders on the most competitive night of television; Parks and Recreation has come into its own this season as the rightful companion to The Office; and Community is one of the freshest comedies on any network and a solid foundation for Thursday night.”

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

No word yet on the fate of fellow NBC bubble shows Chuck, Parenthood, Perfect CouplesOutsourced and The Event. In the meantime, TVLine’s handy Renewal Scorecard has been updated to reflect today’s good news!

Comments (91)

• This is great news! Now NBC PLEEEAAASE renew Chuck as well!

Comment by Ariel – March 17, 2011 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Outsourced should be renewed!!! It is one of the funniest tv show ever. I love each and every characters in the show.

Comment by carrienae – March 17, 2011 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What is the deal with Parenthood? Is NBC only interested in the chucklefest shows? Some adults actually appreciate a family drama and avoid sitcoms like the plague. There hasn’t been a good comedy on TV since Newhart went off the air.

Comment by Linderella49 – March 17, 2011 09:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WOO! I’m Very Happy about Community getting renewed. Now I’ll be VERY VERY HAPPY if the renew Chuck. Can’t wait for the new one-liners. They are always streets ahead.

Comment by Becca – March 17, 2011 10:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PERFECT COUPLES!! It must stay. My husband and I laugh our guts out every time!

Comment by RaeLynn – March 17, 2011 10:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please NBC renew CHUCK!!!

Comment by Mdz – March 17, 2011 10:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad to NOT see Outsourced in the announcement. That’s one show that just didn’t work (thus the 10:30 time slot). What about Chuck?

Comment by Bob – March 18, 2011 05:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so insanely happy about this. “Community” and “Parks & Rec” are probably the best comedies on right now, and I’m glad NBC seems to realize it.

Comment by Bry – March 18, 2011 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Such great news! I love these shows! I just wish NBC had been as generous as CBS and done two year pick ups for Community and Parks & Rec!

Comment by Mal – March 18, 2011 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m happy for these shows and their fans, but I’ll be happier when Chuck gets a season 5… It’s a really great show too and it has really great actors…I’m praying for its renewal!!!

Comment by Jo – March 18, 2011 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “V” is one of the worst shows I have ever had to endure. Two episodes and I was out. My wife says she is going to watch it….. yet the amount of events for it just keeps steadily rising on the DVR- unwatched. DOA. I don’t think V has a ghost of a chance. IMHO.

Comment by Valbowski – April 4, 2011 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • perfect couples should be renewed. very funny

Comment by mark – April 19, 2011 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I seem to be among the minority here but I enjoy Outsourced very much. I watched the whole season in one sitting and it really grows on you. Several characters quickly became my favorites. It’s a great cast with great talent for generating laughs about American culture. I wish people who have never seen the show would stop judging.

Comment by Susan – April 21, 2011 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Parenthood? Is that going to be renewed? I hope so. The show is hilarious. I did not see Kristina’s pregnancy coming though. I thought it was going to be Haddie, as Adam suspected, but then Kristina told him that she is the one pregnant. He was in disbleief saying how did that happen? And she said probably the night of the Mexican restaurant.

I think that the kid, Max, was getting restless after spending half the night in the hospital and was tired and cranky by the time Amber was out of surgery. Who wouldn’t be? I know I would be. Haddie’s boyfriend Alex, is really good in a crisis. Max did come around at the end and told Sarah that he was sorry. I think that NBC should definitely renew this show, if the network does not I will be deeply disappointed.

I think Jasmine and Crosby will remain together. Although, I think Jasmine should do some growing up, you do not have to put dishes in a certain spot in the dishwasher for crying out loud. I understand she was upset that Crosby cheated on her, but she was too controlling. Everything had to be her way or the highway. She is the one who did not tell Crosby that he had a son until five years after the fact. That was irresponisble as well as inappropriate to keep such a secret.

Sarah, the mother of Amber and Drew was nervous at her first show as a playwright. While Amber did not let on that she was in pain, she probably did not realize how serious the crash was until Zeek showed her how badly the car was wrecked. Drew, on the other hand was scared for his sister’s life, as any sibling should be when his or her sister or brother gets in a car wreck and ends up having surgery.

Julia will end up pregnant sometime next season. Julia realized once her daughter’s former teacher’s baby was in her arms how much she missed holding a tiny baby in her arms. Joel, her husband is a great dad. Her daughter Sydney is a good girl and seems to be very smart as well as strong willed.

Comment by Elizabeth – April 21, 2011 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the show outsourced.. stands out all other comedy shows.. would lov to see it renewed.

Comment by aks – May 6, 2011 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I dont see any comments about The Event. This show is fantastic! Don’t let me down, NBC.

Comment by Gerrad – May 17, 2011 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please don’t cancel PARENTHOOD !!!!!!! There are so few T.V. shows on that I like anymore.
    The Voice is superb—and my other favorites are Modern Family, The Middle, Dancing with the Stars, Mike and Molly, Friday Night Lights and very few others. Outsourced is good. I realize I have mentioned shows from other networks. I find it interesting that when there isn’t anything on that I like I peruse the T.V. guide and see Seinfeld, Frasier, Friends, Two and A Half Men; all these shows from the 80′s. Come on—put some stuff out there. I have now probably seen every Two and A Half Men shows produced. And How I Met Your Mother.

Comment by C.Fant – July 1, 2011 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Working on Community is GREAT !!

Comment by Rene Napoli – October 4, 2011 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In the earliest sage of multiple sclerosis, tthe tingling and burning sensation may come and go iin a very short period of time.

Your numbness is essential protection for an emotionally untenable state of being.
    Because the numbness is a direct result of both inflammation and damage to the myelin sheath as well the nerrves themselves, the only thing that can
    be done is take steps to reduce the inflammation and
    swelling that is known to cause it.

Comment by sacramento homes – September 12, 2013 09:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post