Pilot Scoop: Scott Porter To Tug at Rachel Bilson's Hart-strings

I think The CW can go ahead and fast track this thing to series now.

Friday Night Lights and Good Wife dynamo Scott Porter has joined the cast of Hart of Dixie, the hour-long comedic drama pilot produced by Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage and starring Rachel Bilson.

Hart finds Bilson playing Zoe, a young New York City doctor who inherits a medical practice in a small Southern town inhabited by an eclectic group of characters.

Think Everwood, only with a younger more feminine lead.

Porter, whose extremely well received Good Wife stint comes to an end later this month, will play a longtime resident of the sleepy town who develops an intense connection with Bilson’s MD. Too bad he’s engaged to the daughter of Zoe’s chief rival at the medical practice.

He’s the Nina to Bilson’s Andy!

Thoughts? Should The CW green light Dixie on the strength of the cast and pedigree alone?

1. Deena says:

I love RB, I really do but I can’t see her as a doctor. She still looks like 15. They need someone stronger for this role.

2. Bee says:

YES! this is so easily the CW pilot i’m most excited for. now rachel bilson AND scott porter? order it todayyy!

3. Serena says:

Porter’s Good Wife stint was extremely well received only by you. Most people hated him.

• Kathryn says:

Nope, you might have hated him but Kalinda and Blake’s chemistry/rivalry was one of the best side plots this season. Granted, major props go to the alwats fantastic Archie Punjabi, but Scott was definitely holding his own

• SA says:

most everyone i know loved him on the Good Wife. Not to mention FNL.

• DrewH says:

I agree with Kathryn and SA. I loved the tension between his and Kalinda’s characters. I would consider it a highlight of this season. I’m looking forward to seeing her finally get the very best of him but he has been amazing in this role.

Also, I’m already watching this show in my mind so yes, CW, you should go ahead and give it a go.

• Heather says:

Hated the character. Loved the actor.

• Cathy says:

Sorry, Serena, looks like you’re a party of one. Can’t stand his character, but he and Kalinda definitely have chemistry.

• Lauren says:

I hated his character too. I didn’t mind him at first, but they drew his storyline out way too long, and I didn’t like the interaction between Kalinda and he. I did love the scene where she smashed the eff out of his car though.

4. Steve says:

As much as I loved Bilson in The OC and Porter in Friday Night Lights, I wasn’t planning on watching this…

Until you made those Everwood references.

5. M says:

Since she destroyed Gossip Girl, I refuse to watch anything involving Stephanie Savage, but I looove Scott Porter, so if this gets picked up, it’ll be a little hard to resist.

6. Melissa says:

Crap, now its looks like I have another show to add to the billion I already watch :)

7. Paula says:

They’ve gathered a really great cast for this so far and it looks like they are going for a quality production with filming in NC. I have a feeling it’s already been green lighted. Casting Rachel as a doctor doesn’t bother me. It’s not going to be ER. It’s described as a dramedy so I don’t have a problem seeing her as a doc. I’ve really been looking forward to seeing more of Rachel Bilson. Loved her on Chuck.

8. onno says:

@melissa second that one it’s gonna be a million plus 1 now. can’t wait for this one to come on the air

9. AlistairCrane says:

I thought this role had gone to Wilson Bethel. Or is that another role?

• Paula says:

Wilson Bethel is also in the cast as well as Jaime King, Nancy Travis and Cress Williams. Wilson is described as the town bad boy. LOL

10. fra says:

Great cast for the show. After this addiition i really hope that it will be picked up, a new dramedy with everwood atmosphere will be the first for the cw. Also CW must pick up Awakening just for Welliber and Secret circle the most promising new series. Well done cw

11. Katie says:

Aww, Andy/Nina reference for the win! And now I miss Everwood all over again…

This doesn’t sound too bad though, I’ll probably check it out.

12. Victoria says:

Best news ever!!! I hope this happens because I’m already so excited!!

13. James says:

I am a huge Rachel Bilson fan so this is fantastic news! The Everwood comparison definitely sweetens the pot. It also reminds me of another favorite of mine. It is a bit cheesy, but this sounds a bit like Doc Hollywood, a very underrated MJF gem.

14. godzilla_foil says:

Incredibly beautiful couple, indeed. And a show not to be watched by me, ever.

15. Jenny says:

Rachel Bilson can’t act, and this sounds like a Everwood rip-off just airing on The CW. No thanks!

16. lorna says:

love rachel, but after the cu%%s ending LUX despite RAVE reviews, sorry guys. Never again.

17. Chmarin says:

Hart of Dixie is that one CW pilot that comes around every year – it sounds awesome, but will never in a MILLION years actually get a series order – because it has no vampires, zombies, or teenage sluts in it.

18. el says:

Rachel Bilson is seriously miscast for the role. Her Zoe character is supposed to be a sophisticated New Yorker, graduated top of her class in med school, residency at Johns Hopkins. In short, the character is brainy. Rachel has been called cute, adorable but she does not exactly project intelligence.

She got the role largely due to her connections to Josh Schwartz. Rachel’s best friend is married to Josh. Schwartz has tried to cast Bilson in at least two of his previous pilots.

19. Sourabh says:

I will watch.

20. Erin says:

I can’t wait to see this show. I love RB and hope this show turns out great for her. I would love to see Adam Brody cast in this show too. :)

21. Gemma says:

This sounds good to me. I love the cast so far and it’s nice to see Rachel stretching her wings to do something different. Can’t wait to see this.

22. Ro-gan says:

Way to go Ninja!!

23. Kim says:

Looking forward to this show! As always, I was drawn in by Scott Porter(and Rachel Bilson) who I adore as an actor.

24. Mayra says:

Bilsooooon! I also like Scotty, but not as much as I like her!

25. lois says:

Don’t knw if i’m going to watch her show. She didn’t get it on her own. someone is always giving her something. It would been nice she would have done audtion for a movie.She can be funny at times. Also i hope she stick with it . Because you have to do more shows.

26. Giovanna says:

It looks like a good show with a good cast.
    You don´t have to be an actual doctor to play one, just have to memorize lines plus by the looks of it, the medical stuff isn´t the main focus.
    It´s not the first time a producer developes a project with a specific actor in mind, Rachel is a good actress, if she wasn´t it wouldn´t matter how many producers she was friends with cause the network still has to ok it and they have.
    She´ll do great along with the rest of the cast.

27. MurphysLaw says:

Rachel Bilson CAN NOT ACT. Every time I see the commercials for Hart of Dixie, I simply cannot believe that they cast her in this role. You would think that with all of the money invested into a new series, they would try a little bit harder to find a lead actress that can actually pull her weight and be somewhat believable in the role. Honestly, it’s difficult enough to buy that Rachel Bilson’s playing anyone older than a teenager (just by the way she portrays the character), but now they want us to buy that she’s a doctor, as well? I get they were trying to be cute. I say “trying” because, come on…. From the previews, she just seems like a hair-twirling ditz who possibly got dropped on her head one too many times as a child. They may as well just dye her hair blonde and get it over with.

28. Cathy says:

To click on your link would perpetuate the myth that I could possibly want any of this junk. Can you please get this stuff off of here?