Pilot Scoop: Scott Porter To Tug at Rachel Bilson's Hart-strings

Get More: News, Pilots, Scoop

I think The CW can go ahead and fast track this thing to series now.

Friday Night Lights and Good Wife dynamo Scott Porter has joined the cast of Hart of Dixie, the hour-long comedic drama pilot produced by Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage and starring Rachel Bilson.

Hart finds Bilson playing Zoe, a young New York City doctor who inherits a medical practice in a small Southern town inhabited by an eclectic group of characters.

Think Everwood, only with a younger more feminine lead.

Porter, whose extremely well received Good Wife stint comes to an end later this month, will play a longtime resident of the sleepy town who develops an intense connection with Bilson’s MD. Too bad he’s engaged to the daughter of Zoe’s chief rival at the medical practice.

He’s the Nina to Bilson’s Andy!

Thoughts? Should The CW green light Dixie on the strength of the cast and pedigree alone?

Comments (36)

• I love RB, I really do but I can’t see her as a doctor. She still looks like 15. They need someone stronger for this role.

Comment by Deena – March 16, 2011 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES! this is so easily the CW pilot i’m most excited for. now rachel bilson AND scott porter? order it todayyy!

Comment by Bee – March 16, 2011 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Porter’s Good Wife stint was extremely well received only by you. Most people hated him.

Comment by Serena – March 16, 2011 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nope, you might have hated him but Kalinda and Blake’s chemistry/rivalry was one of the best side plots this season. Granted, major props go to the alwats fantastic Archie Punjabi, but Scott was definitely holding his own

Comment by Kathryn – March 16, 2011 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • most everyone i know loved him on the Good Wife. Not to mention FNL.

Comment by SA – March 16, 2011 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with Kathryn and SA. I loved the tension between his and Kalinda’s characters. I would consider it a highlight of this season. I’m looking forward to seeing her finally get the very best of him but he has been amazing in this role.

Also, I’m already watching this show in my mind so yes, CW, you should go ahead and give it a go.

Comment by DrewH – March 16, 2011 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hated the character. Loved the actor.

Comment by Heather – March 16, 2011 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sorry, Serena, looks like you’re a party of one. Can’t stand his character, but he and Kalinda definitely have chemistry.

Comment by Cathy – March 16, 2011 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I hated his character too. I didn’t mind him at first, but they drew his storyline out way too long, and I didn’t like the interaction between Kalinda and he. I did love the scene where she smashed the eff out of his car though.

Comment by Lauren – March 16, 2011 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As much as I loved Bilson in The OC and Porter in Friday Night Lights, I wasn’t planning on watching this…

Until you made those Everwood references.

Comment by Steve – March 16, 2011 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Since she destroyed Gossip Girl, I refuse to watch anything involving Stephanie Savage, but I looove Scott Porter, so if this gets picked up, it’ll be a little hard to resist.

Comment by M – March 16, 2011 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What did Savage do to destroy GG?

Comment by Kate – March 16, 2011 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Crap, now its looks like I have another show to add to the billion I already watch :)

Comment by Melissa – March 16, 2011 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They’ve gathered a really great cast for this so far and it looks like they are going for a quality production with filming in NC. I have a feeling it’s already been green lighted. Casting Rachel as a doctor doesn’t bother me. It’s not going to be ER. It’s described as a dramedy so I don’t have a problem seeing her as a doc. I’ve really been looking forward to seeing more of Rachel Bilson. Loved her on Chuck.

Comment by Paula – March 16, 2011 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • @melissa second that one it’s gonna be a million plus 1 now. can’t wait for this one to come on the air

Comment by onno – March 16, 2011 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought this role had gone to Wilson Bethel. Or is that another role?

Comment by AlistairCrane – March 16, 2011 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wilson Bethel is also in the cast as well as Jaime King, Nancy Travis and Cress Williams. Wilson is described as the town bad boy. LOL

Comment by Paula – March 16, 2011 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great cast for the show. After this addiition i really hope that it will be picked up, a new dramedy with everwood atmosphere will be the first for the cw. Also CW must pick up Awakening just for Welliber and Secret circle the most promising new series. Well done cw

Comment by fra – March 16, 2011 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aww, Andy/Nina reference for the win! And now I miss Everwood all over again…

This doesn’t sound too bad though, I’ll probably check it out.

Comment by Katie – March 16, 2011 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best news ever!!! I hope this happens because I’m already so excited!!

Comment by Victoria – March 16, 2011 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am a huge Rachel Bilson fan so this is fantastic news! The Everwood comparison definitely sweetens the pot. It also reminds me of another favorite of mine. It is a bit cheesy, but this sounds a bit like Doc Hollywood, a very underrated MJF gem.

Comment by James – March 16, 2011 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Incredibly beautiful couple, indeed. And a show not to be watched by me, ever.

Comment by godzilla_foil – March 16, 2011 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rachel Bilson can’t act, and this sounds like a Everwood rip-off just airing on The CW. No thanks!

Comment by Jenny – March 16, 2011 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • love rachel, but after the cu%%s ending LUX despite RAVE reviews, sorry guys. Never again.

Comment by lorna – March 16, 2011 09:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hart of Dixie is that one CW pilot that comes around every year – it sounds awesome, but will never in a MILLION years actually get a series order – because it has no vampires, zombies, or teenage sluts in it.

Comment by Chmarin – March 16, 2011 10:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rachel Bilson is seriously miscast for the role. Her Zoe character is supposed to be a sophisticated New Yorker, graduated top of her class in med school, residency at Johns Hopkins. In short, the character is brainy. Rachel has been called cute, adorable but she does not exactly project intelligence.

She got the role largely due to her connections to Josh Schwartz. Rachel’s best friend is married to Josh. Schwartz has tried to cast Bilson in at least two of his previous pilots.

Comment by el – March 16, 2011 11:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will watch.

Comment by Sourabh – March 17, 2011 05:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait to see this show. I love RB and hope this show turns out great for her. I would love to see Adam Brody cast in this show too. :)

Comment by Erin – March 17, 2011 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This sounds good to me. I love the cast so far and it’s nice to see Rachel stretching her wings to do something different. Can’t wait to see this.

Comment by Gemma – March 17, 2011 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Way to go Ninja!!

Comment by Ro-gan – March 17, 2011 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking forward to this show! As always, I was drawn in by Scott Porter(and Rachel Bilson) who I adore as an actor.

Comment by Kim – March 25, 2011 07:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bilsooooon! I also like Scotty, but not as much as I like her!

Comment by Mayra – March 28, 2011 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t knw if i’m going to watch her show. She didn’t get it on her own. someone is always giving her something. It would been nice she would have done audtion for a movie.She can be funny at times. Also i hope she stick with it . Because you have to do more shows.

Comment by lois – May 9, 2011 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It looks like a good show with a good cast.
    You don´t have to be an actual doctor to play one, just have to memorize lines plus by the looks of it, the medical stuff isn´t the main focus.
    It´s not the first time a producer developes a project with a specific actor in mind, Rachel is a good actress, if she wasn´t it wouldn´t matter how many producers she was friends with cause the network still has to ok it and they have.
    She´ll do great along with the rest of the cast.

Comment by Giovanna – June 3, 2011 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rachel Bilson CAN NOT ACT. Every time I see the commercials for Hart of Dixie, I simply cannot believe that they cast her in this role. You would think that with all of the money invested into a new series, they would try a little bit harder to find a lead actress that can actually pull her weight and be somewhat believable in the role. Honestly, it’s difficult enough to buy that Rachel Bilson’s playing anyone older than a teenager (just by the way she portrays the character), but now they want us to buy that she’s a doctor, as well? I get they were trying to be cute. I say “trying” because, come on…. From the previews, she just seems like a hair-twirling ditz who possibly got dropped on her head one too many times as a child. They may as well just dye her hair blonde and get it over with.

Comment by MurphysLaw – October 24, 2011 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To click on your link would perpetuate the myth that I could possibly want any of this junk. Can you please get this stuff off of here?

Comment by Cathy – March 16, 2011 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post