Fringe Vs. Outsourced: Only One Can Survive in the 'Renew Our Show' Tourney

Get yer “votin’ fingers” limbered up! It’s time for the final first-round matchup of the “Renew Our Show!” Sweet 16 Bracket Tournament. Today, our bout is between two shows that couldn’t be more different if they tried: Fox’s Friday night thriller Fringe takes on NBC’s Thursday night sitcom Outsourced, and their fates are in your hands!

“Renew Our Show!” features 16 existing on-the-bubble series; we left out the sure-fire pickups and those to which the Grim Reaper has already paid a visit. (If you’re worried about the status of anything currently on your DVR “series-recording” lineup, don’t miss our regularly updated Renewal Scorecard feature.)

Choose Your Favorite! V Faces Off the Map in the ‘Renew Our Show’ Bracket Tourney!

Every weekday at 1 p.m. ET for the next two weeks, you’ll be able to vote in polls to help narrow down the “Renew Our Show!” field. Click here to see the entire bracket (then click again on the image for a zoomed-in view). And get ready for our Quarterfinals, which begin tomorrow!

‘Renew Our Show’ Bracket Tourney Continues! Give a Second Season to Nikita or The Event

But before that happens, you’ve got to decide between Fringe and Outsourced. Polls will be open for 72 hours, so do your civic duty, then hit the comments to justify your vote, and head to Facebook and Twitter to whip your fellow fanboys and fangirls into a frenzy.

And to get alerted to all future “Renew Our Show” showdowns, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV. Now what are you waiting for? Get voting!

Comments (127)

• Did someone actually vote for Outsourced over Fringe?! I think that must have been a sympathy vote.

Comment by Melissa – March 16, 2011 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I must be seriously out of the loop – I have never even HEARD of Outsourced.

Comment by allie – March 16, 2011 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You’re not the only one… and the ratings show it too

Comment by Lil Jo – March 18, 2011 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Fringe all the way love that show

Comment by Zack – March 16, 2011 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sorry Outsourced… But I adore Fringe. It makes my heart go all fluttery, then it makes me confused, feel smart, feel sad, feel hopeful, feel lost, and then feel all fluttery again. I just can’t stop!

Comment by Bethany – March 16, 2011 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • yup. even though i like outsourced, fringe reigns supreme among the bubble shows and nearly everything else on tv.

Comment by joey – March 16, 2011 11:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • wait, you like outsourced?

Comment by Nico – March 17, 2011 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • LOL But yes, there is no contest betweeen Fringe and Outsourced. That would be like comparing Obama to Bush, sure they’re both TV shows/presidents…

Comment by tvnut014 – March 18, 2011 05:07 PM PDT
    • Yes I have as well. It is an excellent show and I would vote for it over Fringe in a heartbeat. Whats your problem? If you have an opinion feel free to express it but don’t give us that stinking attitude.

Comment by John – April 29, 2011 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe, no contest.

Comment by Dwightwho – March 16, 2011 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • fringe will win this pole it would be the bigest shock if outsorced won but im 99.9-100% sure fringe will win

Comment by russell – March 16, 2011 09:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, TVLine. Way to give Outsource even the slightest chance. XD

Comment by Michael – March 16, 2011 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thoughts exactly!

Comment by SAM – March 17, 2011 07:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe

Comment by Alex C – March 16, 2011 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe all the way its still my favorite show on TV period please FOX renew this show

Comment by Adriel – March 16, 2011 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is that even a challenge? Fringe farts out better episodes than anything Outsourced’s writers could even dream of creating

Comment by William Howell – March 16, 2011 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Considering fringe is (In my opinion) the best show on TV, and after watching the Pilot of outsourced I was kind of disgusted that it had been picked up at all, I find it hard to believe these two were put together.

Comment by Joel – March 16, 2011 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS!!!

Comment by luke – March 16, 2011 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t watch Fringe so I don’t know if I’m the best judge. I’ve seen lots of acclaim for Fringe and it’s obvious Outsourced didn’t stand a fair chance.
      The pilot *was* atrocious, but Outsourced has gotten so much funnier since then. I would really love for it to stay.

Comment by N-Aro – March 16, 2011 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t even know how Outsourced got on TV. I mean really. It reminds me of that Geico caveman show.

Comment by Ruthie – March 16, 2011 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve seen the movie Outsourced was based off of. The movie is MUCH better than the TV show. There is no comparision between the two except for the fact that some of the names and the title is the same.

Comment by tvnut014 – March 18, 2011 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The Geico caveman commercials were funny at first, too. But that doesn’t mean it should be made into a TV show…

Comment by Ruthie – March 19, 2011 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is almost murder… FRINGE all the way!

Comment by Catherine – March 16, 2011 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe, no question asked.

Comment by Ingmar – March 16, 2011 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m surprised this one is as close as it is…and it’s not even close ;)

Comment by George – March 16, 2011 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe, of course!

Comment by Camila – March 16, 2011 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No ifs or buts. It has to be Fringe. It’s the long tail that deserves conclusion and answers for all the loyal fans around the world. Which why it irritates me when shows get cancelled because of low or average ratings because the networks are only thinking about the home market, as opposed to the global market where there legions of fans. Hence my disappointment on the cancellation of FlashForward when here in the UK at least, it was a well-promoted and had fairly decent ratings.

Comment by DC – March 16, 2011 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • When TV networks are footing the bill, the home market is all that matters. The production studios care about ancillary markets, but not the networks. If there is overlap, there is hope. In this case FOX network broadcasts the show and Warner Brothers makes it.
      If FOX doesn’t believe it’s worth keeping, it’ll be up to WB to keep it in production – which they could do for as long as they want.

I’ve never known a studio to keep a series going without a network partner though. DTV movies yes – but not without a broadcast partner.

If Fox cancels Fringe, I’m hoping CW or Netflix.

Comment by John Berggren – March 16, 2011 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is that even a contest? Fringe is one of the most brilliant show on TV.

Comment by Kaelity – March 16, 2011 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe but that Outsourced guy is cute

Comment by Paco – March 16, 2011 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this might be the funniest thing i’ve seen all day

Comment by rip van winkle – March 16, 2011 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, this one is easy. Fringe is one of the best shows on TV right now, while I actively think Outsourced SHOULD be canceled (its only value is as fodder to put between Community and cancellation).

Comment by Rebecca – March 16, 2011 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is like saying “what would you prefer to drink: water or a bicycle”

Comment by Momo – March 16, 2011 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Perfect analogy.

Comment by michael – March 16, 2011 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That being said, 10% of people responding would rather drink a bicycle. It will always be that way.

Comment by Rich – March 16, 2011 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Momo is a genius :)

Comment by Gigi – March 16, 2011 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ha! That’s hilarious!

Comment by Ruthie – March 17, 2011 09:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe is one of the best shows on tv. Stargate Universe has been cancelled so let’s save Fringe, please!!!

Comment by Airyane – March 16, 2011 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please renew Fringe!!! It’s the best show on TV!

Comment by zuzoka – March 16, 2011 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hate on me all you want, but I love Outsourced. ‘Course, not as much as I love Fringe, so that’s what got my vote.

Comment by servonut – March 16, 2011 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What??! Seriously? Fringe is one of the best shows on TV!

Comment by Susan – March 16, 2011 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe. No contest.

Comment by Anya – March 16, 2011 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last year Fringe was one of my back up shows when nothing else was on, but this season it is easily the best show on tv!

Comment by Dave – March 16, 2011 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe dammit…. Why is this even necessary? Is there a better show on regular TV?

Comment by Michael – March 16, 2011 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about we cancel all the shows on CBS, and send them the subpar shows from the other networks, so that they might have some worthwhile programing over there. Oh and we don’t cancel Fringe or Outsourced. We combine them.

Comment by Sean – March 16, 2011 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damn, I didnt even know Fringe Files was still on. Are Agent Olivia Scully and Peter Mulder still cracking cases? Wait, one is a scientist, I forgot. When this show stops taking FULL episodes from X-files and Supernatural maybe I could watch. Dont watch outsourced but it got my vote.

Comment by GMoney – March 16, 2011 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ll admit Fringe started out as an X-files clone, but this season the show has finally come into its own, it has its own identity and a very clear, very intriguing “endgame.” Really, if they want to avoid getting canceled, they should do like LOST and negotiate an end date (but have an actual good ending)…

Comment by aldaryn – March 16, 2011 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Let’s see what the X-Files “stole” from Twin Peaks, Outer Limits and Twilight Zone, shall we? Chris Carter borrowed from everything, but made an awesome show.

FRINGE is not X-Files. It is better.

Comment by ACL – March 16, 2011 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah man, you are really out of the loop on this one. It did start out like x-files, but midway through season 2 it was a completely different (and much, much better) show. i would dare to say that even towards the end of season 1 it was different.

Comment by Johnboy – March 16, 2011 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So you just randomly go places that mean nothing to you so you can hate a little? I get it, there are always people out there who like to crap on what others like so that they will be unhappy and hateful like them.

Comment by Ruthie – March 17, 2011 09:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe! No question about it! It’s the only great sci-fi show left! The writing is flawless and IT NEEDS ANOTHER SEASON!

Comment by whitetulip – March 16, 2011 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m surprised that Outsourced even managed to get 10% of the vote. Fringe is an easy choice. It’s one of the best shows on FOX, and it’s actually holding its own in the Friday death slot.

Comment by John D – March 16, 2011 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OUTSOURCED! Its hysterical. Fringe has gotten weird with its two worlds. Im kind of over it. I enjoy the comic banter between the characters. They are lovable. =)

Comment by mari – March 16, 2011 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Outsources is clever enough for BANTER?! GASP.

Fringe’s view into the alternate universe has made it AMAZING. I don’t know how anyone with an investment in the two characters could be “over it” at all.

Comment by B – March 16, 2011 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is a very amusing poll (except for the Outsourced fans) FRINGE ALL THE WAY! There is no contest…Fringe is the most awesome show on TV!

Comment by Fringie6989 – March 16, 2011 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe the stupid bastards in charge of this website might wanrt to actually update the bottom half of the bracket at some point? You know if the quarter-finals start tomorrow maybe they could let us see who made it through in the bottom half of the bracket.

Comment by Chad – March 16, 2011 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Polls are open for 72 hours, actually.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – March 16, 2011 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe! No doubt, Fringe is the best show going right now. I didn’t even know that Outsourced was still on, I just assumed it was already canceled.

Comment by Margaret – March 16, 2011 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m in the minority but go Outsourced. I have never watched fringe so I vote outsourced

Comment by Jackson – March 16, 2011 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why are these two shows up against each other? You would think Outsourced would be matched against another half hour comedy. These shows are about as different as can be.

Comment by Patty – March 18, 2011 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe.

Comment by Cortney – March 16, 2011 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow – way to keep it one-sided. There’s no way Outsourced comes even close to beating Fringe. You really should have put it up against a show that’s not as strong.

Comment by Rowan – March 16, 2011 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly! Had Outsourced gone up against ANYTHING else, it would have gotten my vote.

Comment by servonut – March 16, 2011 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe. No Competition.

Comment by W0NK042 – March 16, 2011 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Poor ‘Outsourced’, it will get crushed. Fringe always Fringe.

Comment by cassi – March 16, 2011 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe no contest !

Comment by Mary Fary – March 16, 2011 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe, of course. Although I like Nikita, the two shows I really want to save are Chuck and Fringe. If both make it to the final round, that’s good enough for me.

Comment by sweetiepie1019 – March 16, 2011 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree sweetiepie! Just don’t make me choose between the two :)

Comment by Gigi – March 16, 2011 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How is this even a question?

Comment by Miles – March 16, 2011 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • only one answer: FRINGE

Comment by Thom – March 16, 2011 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow Outsources made it to 10%. I though for sure they wouldnt make it past 5%

Comment by mandy – March 16, 2011 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe! No question in my mind.

Comment by patrick – March 16, 2011 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • now who puts a drama show like Fringe in a vs with a comedy like Outsourced? Dumbest vs ever… I love both shows!

Comment by jake – March 16, 2011 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who decided on the pairings of shows to vote ? Putting a one hour supernatural drama against a half hour sit com ? No sense whatsoever.

Comment by MJ – March 16, 2011 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe, of course!

Comment by David Stone – March 16, 2011 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe… Fringe… Fringe… Did I mentioned Fringe?

Comment by Caroline – March 16, 2011 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, no contest here ! FRINGE should be renewed !

Comment by Laurel – March 16, 2011 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post