Exclusive

V Star Weighs In On Finale's Double Whammy

[The following Q&A contains major spoilers from the Season 2 finale of ABC's V.]

Yes, a few actors found themselves out of work as a result of the take-no-prisoners V season finale that aired Tuesday night. But at least one cast member is staring at double duty should the ABC series get renewed for a third season. That’s right, the answer to this recent TVLine Blind Item is Laura Vandervoort, who now is playing imprisoned Lisa as well as Anna’s new, rapidly aged and rather eeeevil offspring. (You could say that this blonde beauty is a real man-eater.) TVLine spoke with Vandervoort just before showtime about her dual role.

TVLINE | You know, I asked your “mom,” Morena Baccarin, two weeks ago, “Is Anna’s new daughter going to grow up to look just like Laura Vandervoort?”
And what’d she say?

TVLINE | She simply laughed and said, “You might be onto something there!” How far into the season did they tell you?
They didn’t! We find out about everything a few days before we start shooting. I didn’t even know I was Anna’s [new] daughter until we got the script. We just go by the seat of our pants here. But I had a lot of fun playing what you saw tonight.

TVLINE | What was your first question for the writers once you did get wind of the evil twin?
I wanted to know if they were going to kill off the original Lisa next season and just keep bad Lisa, because I was having so much fun playing [the original]. And I wanted to know, How different do you want her to be? How similar to Anna do you want her to be? How far can I go with how evil she is? I was just so excited to have a chance to play two characters.

TVLINE | Yeah, as an actor I imagine it’s….
A dream come true. It is. There’s that one particular sequence where Lisa is forced to watch “Lisa 2.0″ slaughter Tyler, which was just horrifying for her. I was excited about how that could come across, cutting back and forth between the two characters.

TVLINE | What do you know so far about 2.0’s disposition? Is it just “evil”?
She’s pure, newborn lizard-flesh evil. She hasn’t had a chance to develop emotions, so she’s possibly more evil than Anna. Who knows, maybe Lisa 2.0 can become even more dominant than Anna, Lisa and Diana all together? Maybe she’ll be the one to take the throne?

TVLINE | This Lisa is basically everything Anna wanted in a daughter, and more.
She’s exactly what Anna’s been wanting the original Lisa to be. She’s really her foot solider. But what’d be great is if 2.0 decides she has had enough and she wants to rule!

TVLINE | OK, OK, slow down. Let’s give it at least another half-season.
Oh, c’mon! But really, there are so many ways we could go with it. If we get a third season, there’s so much I can do and so many storylines we can get from it.

TVLINE | Because of this, you of all people must be especially anxious about the prospect of a Season 3.
We’re all excited, but if we have one, I’m definitely looking forward to doing more than I had in the past with Lisa. If we do continue, it should be a lot of fun.

TVLINE | How will you be keeping busy in the meantime?
I’m about to start a Christmas-themed romantic comedy for ABC Family, with Nick Zano (What I Like About You). The closest thing I’ve done to something like this is This Means War (due in theaters later this year and starring Chris Pine, Reese Witherspoon and Tom Hardy), and that’s more of a straight comedy. Here, I get to be the leading lady, one who’s goofy with faults, and then she falls in love. I’m excited because it’s something I haven’t done before, meaning it’s lighthearted and not full of drama!

Vandervoort next can be seen on Smallville reprising her role of Kara/Supergirl in Episode 20, “Prophecy,” of the CW series’ final season.

V fans, what did you think of “Lisa 2.0,” the three big deaths, and the Season 2 finale’s other twists?

1. jasin says:

I’m excited and am hoping and praying that it gets a third season. C’mon ABC gives us a break. V still does better then the other Tuesday drama’s that sandwich it.

2. Ethan says:

Pure AWESOME-NESS!!!! If V dosen’t get a third season “good TV” is dead. DEAD!

• John Berggren says:

C’mon now, that’s just not true. Fringe, Glee, Modern Family, Community, Dexter, Shameless, True Blood.. that’s just off the top of my head.

V is far more “guilty pleasure” than “good TV”.

• Jesse says:

haha I think “good tv” IS “guilty pleasure”. haha most people don’t watch tv for the artistic value. they watch it for fun.

• Anthony says:

I AGREE 10000000% IF V doesn’t get a season 3, I’M NEVER WATCHING ANOTHER TV SHOW, EVER AGAIN!

3. beast says:

I hope that at least one of those deaths we saw is not permanent and the character is somehow saved if the show gets pick back up again.

• John Berggren says:

If the show gets picked up again, her resurrection would be one of the few things that would re-ignite my interest. Worst. Decision. Ever. (for this V)

4. Amber says:

It was all right, it was kind of a tense episode. I was surprised by at least a couple of the deaths. I wish they would do more than 10 episodes a season! It was a nice touch bringing in Marc Singer from the original series as Lars Tremont. Now they just need to bring in Robert Englund and that would be the cherry on the sundae.

5. Chuck says:

Got nothing more to add, except one more vote for a third season. I mean, why do you even have to decide?!!! You’ve got us hooked to a story, ABC. Don’t leave us hanging.

6. Farsdy says:

V- The best!
    Im from russia
    All my friends watch this serial

7. JC says:

I’d like to see another season, and one with more than 10 episodes. Unfortunately, shows like The Bachelor and Dancing with the Stars have made shows like V expendable.

• Alphonse says:

All I have to say is they are lame, lame, lame – tptb get rid of so many good shows for trashy reality junk. Maybe if they gave shows like V a chance with an entire season of episodes they’d realize that scripted tv can still get decent ratings. How is any show supposed to develop a real following with only a handful of episodes, followed by a huge break, followed by another handful of episodes.

8. joshua says:

There was talk about killing off Chad and I thought that the show would end with Ann tossing Chad out of her mother ship with him falling to the ground (earth) and say it was an accident.

9. John says:

i’m just happy they killed tyler. he was the most annoying character in the history of television. seriously, idk why the writers hated him so much but i’m glad he’s gone.

i hope abc

• john says:

gives it at least 8 episodes to wrap things up.

• CrazyCris says:

I am NOT happy about Tyler… I mean, poor Erica!!! Her hubby dead, Hobbs just ran out on her, Jack is blissed, and now this?!

On the other hand… Tyler’s demise should provide some fabulous acting as a result of the fallout. Can you imagine Erica’s reaction when she finds out? Anna had better not get within 1 mile of her! ;o)

WE WANT MORE V!!!

• John says:

See, that’s why I’m actually thrilled about Tyler’s death. Besides the fact that he was a super-annoying character who didn’t have much in the way of a satisfying arc, his death is going to unleash the full fury of Erica, and the power of grief/rage-stricken acting from Elizabeth Mitchell. I’m excited!

• Vin says:

I hope Anna skins a V to look like Tyler and send him back home to spy on Erica. I think that would be awesome. It would give the actor another shot at actually playing a character not as lame as tyler was.

• Anthony says:

I AGREE, I WANNA SEE THAT! I’m making comments all over the place like this, HOPEFULLY THE TV COMPANIES WILL SEE AND CONSIDER V SEASON 3!!!

• Anthony says:

I HOPE ALL OF OUR COMMENTS ARE SEEN BY THE TV COMPANIES. THEN THEY WILL HOPEFULLY RECONSIDER V SEASON 3. THAT’S THE GOOD THING ABOUT AMERICA, POPULAR DEMAND HAS A LOT OF POWER, I READ THAT FAMILY GUY WAS BROUGHT BACK FROM CANCELLATION, AND FUTURAMA TOO. SO, IT’S HAPPENED BEFORE, LET’S HOPE IT CAN AGAIN.

• sash fan says:

the most annoying character in the history of television was Jack Bauer’s daughter in 24. Oh My Goodness! I’d take Tyler any day.

Evil Lisa was awesome.

10. Guy says:

Just finished watching it and I absolutely loved the finale. So glad they killed Tyler. Seriously he is the biggest twat i have ever seen on TV besides Charlie Sheen of course. Now ABC you know what to do don’t you? You have to renew V. It can’t stay like this. The ending was awesome and the inbred child blissing them was something i sort of saw coming. As for the “Evil Lisa” just awesome. Also getting to realise Erica’s FBI workers are actually on her side. All along i thought they might be on the other side. It was good to know that there is more help out there. I could go on for a while about V’s finale but i’ll stop there for now. lol

Please ABC we need Season 3 we really do.

11. Shelby says:

The Tyler death was unexpected. Erica will surely be out for Anna now! Could care less about Ryan being gone. Diana though! What a waste to finally get her out the dungeon and then kill her off! Loved the line when Anna said to Lisa, “That’s how you kill your mother!” Hope ABC renews another season!

12. Hamza says:

The way they have ended this season was absolutely not meant to ‘wrap up’ as a series finale!

The second season has been brilliant! Really wish ABC renews it for the third season! V deserves it.

13. SnazzyO says:

Thank you for linking in the Blind Item! Sometimes it’s hard to track when the Blind item is revealed. Really appreciate that.

And kudos to Laura Vandervoort! She seems like a fan-girl – which is always nice for fans of the show. Personally I’ve never watched V but I may have to, simply due to the bubbling enthusiasm of Laura.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I told Laura you could just hear the fanboys squeeing at the prospect of “double the Vandervoort.” She laughed :)

14. John Berggren says:

Killing Diana took my interest in a season 3 from about 50% to about 20%. This was a tragically bad decision. Killing Tyler brought it back up to about a 25%.

• tallbichick says:

OMG I SO agree on the Diana and Tyler thing, LOL. Having Diana back was SUCH nostalgia, and she is such a GREAT actress…and played that part AWESOME, both in the 80s and now. I enjoyed every moment of her screen time! If they have to magically revive a character, it MUST be her! Tyler was def a waste, glad he is gone. Seeing Marc Singer was also a treat… bring back as many original characters as possible! A TOTAL TREAT seeing them again! :) ABC ABC ABC HEAR OUR PRAYER AND BRING V BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

15. Krista says:

I loved the finale! There are so many good story lines if they decide to renew which I really hope they do. Its a unique concept plus I’m so tired of all the reality shows and cop shows out there. Please please renew ABC!

16. John says:

You have Jane Effing Badler and you keep her locked in the basement for one obligatory scene per episode, FINALLY release her, and kill her within 3 minutes? A complete waste of a great actress and character (and frankly, the ONLY reason I stuck with season 2 of this mess of a show).
    All the deaths felt rather arbitrary…”Well, it’s the season(series?) finale so I guess we should kill a buncha people…”

• John Berggren says:

Tyler Death : A+
      Ryan Death : B
      Diana Death : F———————————————ail

• John Berggren says:

Note to self – lots of minuses become a straight line.
        Diana Death : F- – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – ail

• DIB says:

AAAHHH but is Diana really dead. This is SciFi you know. Dude takes a gun shot to the head and is back on his feet with temporary memory loss. I am glad to see them bringing the old cast from the original and incorporating them into the new show. I don’t think Diana will be dead if we all bitch enough. They will pull a magic trick and poof Diana will be back on the stage. Tyler was annoying but strangely I am not appeased at his death it means less skimp time with Laura “smoking hot” Vanderyummy on screen.

17. Randy says:

The episode was terrible. You have to be several shades of stupid to have enjoyed it. Thankfully, the show will be cancelled and we will never have to see these actors whore themselves for such massive mediocrity ever again.

18. Fairy says:

Fantastic portrayal of Lisa and Evil Lisa. I was really impressed by Laura, especially during Tyler’s slaughter. As for the finale, I’m sucked in big time. Need a Season 3. Terribly disappointed at all the deaths. I didn’t feel they needed to kill Tyler. Maybe for Lisa, but his poor mother now has nothing to live for really. I don’t buy that she’ll keep going to avenge them, I think she’ll shut down and have no more purpose. We’ll see what they do with it, but other than that, I’m really impressed overall.

19. Al says:

Having been a fan of the original V way back when, I think that it’s cool that the brought in Marc Singer, but couldn’t they have left Jane Badler in, also? Anybody else from the original show going to show up? How about Faye Grant?

• John Berggren says:

In the season 3 premiere, Julie wakes up and tells Donavan she had a horrible dream about a V resistance that was incapable of fighting the visitors properly. Their daughter Erica walks in and she goes into “and you were there, and you were there…”

Meanwhile… Diana is aboard the Los Angeles mothership plotting her next move…

• tallbichick says:

OMG! Faye Grant was my HERO and FAVE actress in the 80s version of V. I LIVED for that show, and her character, and to this day, I still watch those episodes on my dvd collection!! As I posted above, it was SOOOOO darn cool to see Diana again, esp playing a good guy, and then Marc Singer, SWEET TREATTTTTTTTTTT! Faye Grant would just top it off, heck they could even easily bring back Michael Ironside and Jeff Yagher too (both have aged well) – SEASON 3 MUST happen, the show DEF got better in it’s 2nd season, of course for me, largely for the nostalgia… :) PLEASE ABC hear our prayer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. sash fan says:

We still need that Anna VERSUS Erica showdown — hasn’t happened yet — I’d watch next season for that!

Evil Lisa was awesome. And where is Hobbes?

21. Jamie says:

The finale was EPIC.

Laura did a fantastic job playing two roles. Am I the only one who thought Tyler redeemed himself a little in the finale? I’m still happy he died.

Diana’s death was horrible. I hope Marcus is deceiving Anna and secretly bringing Diana back to life.

In season 3 I’d like to see Lisa get a little angrier and obviously released. Joshua will see to that! I think Lisa will be like a daughter to Erica.

ABC, please renew for a final 12!

• Alphonse says:

“Marcus is deceiving Anna and secretly bringing Diana back to life.” Oooo, that would be amazing!! Joshua, Marcus, Diana and Lisa all ticked off and working together would be great!

22. Sean says:

As they already established with making Lisa’s “twin,” they can pretty much skin any alien to like like they want… so while Diana, Ryan and Tyler all apparently died, it’s quite possible they could bring the actors back to play 2.0 versions…

23. Bob says:

It’s all about the ratings. The show came in 4th last night, with a 1.7 rating, beaten by a repeat of NCIS: Los Angeles.

Keep hope alive?

24. Simon says:

Loved This episode. I was cheering when Tyler was killed by lisa 2.0.
    Chad was suppose to be the obvious annoying little self centred weasel, being a News Reporter. But he had nothing on Tyler.

Please DO NOT bring this pretty boy Muppet back in any shape or form.

Erica will be relentless when she finds out. I have to agree with others. Diana’s death was the most dissapointing. I was looking forward to the story take that direction.

Poor old Lisa 1.0, But anna doesn’t know Joshua has had total recall for 5th column. I’m Sure he’ll help Lisa. Who he has often called her his queen.

Maybe goodbye to chad, But he’ll most likely talk his way out of that one..

OK, so where the hell did Hobbes & Dr. Sidney Miller go ?.

25. TheRiffRaff says:

Soooo I must say I definitely enjoyed the finale for one main reason: THEY KILLED TYLER. and for that reason I really would like to see a season 3. Lisa is probably my favorite character on the show with Anna and Erica right behind, I’d love to see a chance for Erica to get all crazy on Anna for killing Tyler. The only death I didn’t call was Diane, wish she would’ve stuck around and they killed Chad off instead of her, glad Ryan is gone too. GEt rid of the crappy characters and stick with the good ones, I really had hoped Syd would play a bigger part and we get to see more Hobbes, but hey next season right?

PS: YES TYLER IS DEAD!!! My friend and I actually celebrated.

26. Max Smith says:

The Season 2 finale suck b#tt bigtime. Too many of the good guys getting killed, is a cheap rip off of what the T2 TV show did. It’s just WRONG period. You dumb #ss writers should only be allowed to kill of one good guy period. Show was awesome until this episode. My wife and I just wanted to puke at how stupid and lame last nights finale was. Get a grip writers. You cannot have such great character development all season(have your viewer get attached) and then have the bad guys win. Other than the mental ill people, all us normal people will hate it and hate you now. SEASON 2 FINALE WAS ONE BIG EPIC FAIL!!! Will probably not watch if there is a 3rd season. What’s the point, at this point you may as well have the lizards win and just r@pe and pillage the humans to death..fre@kin lame!!!

27. domynoe says:

I think the only “hole” I found was that the new Lisa was already ready to mate, while original Lisa was just reaching that even though she’d been around longer. Wouldn’t the new Lisa need as much time to mature and reach her mating cycle? Just sayin’….

I really hope the show isn’t canceled because I’d be really pissed after a season finale like this! If they want to end it, they need to finish out the story line…unless the lizards win IS the story line? ;)

• JC says:

Remember the accelerated growth program they were talking about, and they tested it on Amy (Ryan’s daughter)? They made the new Lisa become furtile almost instantly.

28. James Coup says:

I really hope that V gets renewed. It’s too bad that it could cancelled and replaced by the trash that America watches everyday… such as Dancing with the Stars or Glee. V is great!

29. Marianne says:

V is “the” show to watch for me. Honestly, I love True Blood, but if I’d have to choose, I’d pick V any day! Love it, love it, love it!

And I am SO happy they didn’t kill Lisa, my favourite character:-)

GIVE US A THIRD AND A FOURTH SEASON!!!!

Cancel this show, and I might hang myself:-(
    And while I’m here: No more reality shows, for God’s sakes!

30. Darrel says:

I want the show to come back but I don’t understand why the writers have to write the human resistance to be so stupid. I mean seriously have they had one plan come close to working.
    Also I could not stand the Tyler character but I think killing him off that way was silly. I mean that is what you built the whole relationship for?

31. Ron says:

The finale blew me away. So much happening, I was asking where can it go from here. I can’t wait to see where Lisa 1.0 & 2.0 go from here. Unless I missed it some other time, Lisa 2.0 had the best smile of the season as whe went down on Tyler. Interesting too, because normally Lisa 1.0 is emotionless, that it came from a so sensually evil 2.0. I WANT MORE!

32. Lance says:

I wouldn’t mind seeing Diana return, but Ryan (dead weight) and Tyler (nominee for most annoying character in tv history) can stay dead as far as I’m concerned. Ryan deserved to die and I know we were supposed to be as horrified as Lisa when Tyler got offed, but honestly, I was relieved.

33. Josh says:

I was throughly disappointed to see Jane Badler (Diana) get punctured in the chest by Morena Baccarin (Anna) just as she re-introduced herself to all the Vs on the mothership after years of imprisonment, and after Diana gets killed, they suddenly re-worship Anna again? I suppose they had no other choice, especially when annoying Anna yells to all of them “KNEEL!” I somehow knew this day would come, however, as they consistently listed Badler as a “guest” in the credits throughout the course of Season 2. Glad they kept Vandervoort, as I like her character, is easy on the eyes and one of the reasons why I watch the show. Also glad they killed off Tyler, he was a waste of a character and everyone knew that he would be killed off once he disregarded his mother’s constant warnings about the Vs and listened to Anna all the time. Ryan became quite tiresome after a while and besides the fact, already betrayed the Fifth Column once before, he deserved what he got coming, his own daughter choked him to death with her lizard tail for pete sakes, show’s how much she loved him, due to Anna constantly telling her that he (Ryan) abandoned her (Ryan’s daughter, Amy)! On one last note concering the characters, I fear Chad Decker has his fate sealed. Anna knows that he has betrayed her and wants to “meet” with him, sounds like the final nail in the coffin, no offense whatsoever to Scott Wolf!

If ABC has any brains at all up in the managerial department, they’ll bring this show back for at least one more season (Season 3)! You can’t disappoint fans of the show by not finishing it, I’ve always been told to finish what you’ve started, not do half a job. Perhaps ABC should think about that and re-consider bringing the show back. It only makes sense now.

34. Mel says:

I didn’t realize I was watching the finale until I saw this tweet. The season was too short. I hope it returns for a third season. I hate getting hooked on a show and never getting closure.

35. intheknow says:

The powers that be at the network killed off a few due to budgetr cuts and the hope of renewal for a third season. Don’t count Dianna out yet;-) Chad may also be kept around alittle longer as Anna uses him knowing he is fifth column. Writers are scrambling hoping to get another shot with lots of twists & turns. Keep fingers crossed and flood ABC with e-mails asking for the return of season 3. It all boils down to money & ratings. It is always a gamble for the network when a show like V has the kind of ratings it recently received even though there is such a fan following…Money & ratings…period

36. tausti says:

I have just seen the Diana death scene. She finally gets out of the dungeon and makes the return that we have been waiting for for 20 plus years and they kill her off. Bull sh*t! If they dont bring back Jane Badler then to hell with Season 3!!!!

37. Raksha says:

I much prefer Lisa 2.0 to Lisa 1.0!

38. John says:

Tyler was killed JUST as he was about to smarten up. He’ll be unkilled shortly.

39. Damian says:

C’mon ABC. We have to have to have a 3rd season, just so we can have the moment where Erica is about to kill the offspring, only to have Anna mess with her head. . .”You can’t harm her — that’s your grand daughter!!”

40. Anson says:

I’m pretty positive Marcus is deceiving Anna; you see some of that foreshadowed when he views Anna cuddling with Amy and is totally keeping tabs because he knows she’ll slip up and when that happens he’ll get rid of her. The ending was pretty much a “Woah, oh snap” moment for me personally; glad they killed Tyler, I doubt Ryan is dead as they mention in season 1 that you have to stab them in the heart to truly kill them, Lisa will get out by the V doctor (can’t remember his name); Chad will live, most likely, and the whole Bliss thing we’ll have to see. I have a feeling season 3 will be the last one, if they do as I can’t see the story playing out any longer than that. But I have a feeling Marcus and Amy (along with Lisa) will be the “saviors” and pull the V’s out of Earth As for Project Aries, unless they can block the Bliss, that won’t last long as they’ll need to stay underground to hide from it.

41. Joe Kerr says:

Diana could easily come back. One guy came back after being vaporized. Diana was just skewered like Anna was making a shish-kabob. Speaking of which, where does she hide that 10 foot long tail? While it looked cool, I doubt there is enough room in her abdomen for that thing.

Glad they snuffed Tyler – he was useless. Ryan got more lifeless an annoying as time went on after his human wife died.

The least they need to do is wrap things up with a mini series if they decide not to go with a full season, or go with 13 episodes for Season 3 and if ratings improve, add a back 9. And no hiatus this time. Hiatus’s werent a problem in the old days when they showed reruns, but they rarely do that for serial dramas these days.

42. Joe Kerr says:

Almost forgot about the return of The Beastmaster! Have to see more of him. Though they should have given him the name Mike Donovan, not Lars whatever. Lars???? Reminds me of the lumber mill owner and town founder from Little House on the Prairie that I watched when I was a kid.

I also would love to see Michael Ironside make an appearance.

43. ginger says:

Is there any petitions to sign to bring back the series,,,it worked with Cagney and Lacey many years ago.