RuPaul's Drag Race Recap: Patriot Games

On Monday night’s edition of RuPaul’s Drag Race, the six remaining queens shot patriotic PSAs for the troops — though I’m not sure which military base has a drag-friendly policy! — but most of the gals faltered in at least one of the three crucial areas: Fashion, comedy, and/or heart. I suppose Alexis Mateo’s campy polyester pantsuit and “Bam! Bam!” dancing shtick was moderately entertaining, but I couldn’t get what had Ru and Ms. Visage doubled over with laughter. With no clear winner, and with front-runners Raja and Shangela both flirting with the bottom two, Ru opted to spare both Yara Sofia and Carmen Carrera after they lipsynched for their Latina lives. All I can say is Manila Luzon was lucky to dodge the bullet after her bloated and gassy PSA stank up the room. Below, 10 screengrabs tell the tale!

Ladies, stop trying to make Heathers happen. It's not going to happen.

Grrrrl! Looks like a shootout at the 'Mmmkay?' Corral!

Ru assesses Carmen's eyelash flutter: ''Is that what being an American means to you?''

I'm with guest judge Cheryl Tiegs on this one: Manila lost me at the simulated fart.

Alexis serves pure joy despite feeling heartbreak over the unknown whereabouts of her solider boyfriend.

Ru (as always) wins the award for critique of the night: ''Who are you wearing? Wait! Don't ask, don't tell!''

Raja once again rocks the week's most creative look, but to me, she always just looks like a dude in a wacky costume, not an actual drag queen.

Guest judge Johnny Weir reads Carmen's runway attitude: ''She stood there, and she may as well have been chewing on a piece of wheat, taking a dump, doing her nails. This girl, if she ever wants to be a huge success, people will not buy tickets, she will not be able to pay her rent, and she will be flipping burgers.''

Carmen tries to seal her fate...with a kiss.

Yara gives the international expression for ''Chanté, everyone stays.''

1. John Berggren says:

Can’t stand the self appointed Heathers. Can’t stand Carmen thinking that Yara must have been the one who would have gone home and being affronted that she stayed – perhaps you were the one being chopped –> Plastic surgery does not a fierce drag queen make.

I screamed in horror when Carmen kissed Johnny Weir. She ought to be have been sashayed away just for that.

2. agrimesy says:

Raja’s my favorite. I like her sense of humor, her boldness, and her stylish creations. I have seen her look VERY exotically feminine in still pictures. But, lately, I agree with Slezak that Raja is doing it like a dude . . . just a REALLY cute dude! Carmen and Manila are the ones who seem to have captured that feminine mystique, but their attitudes and talent are pretty limited. I can honestly say I just watch for fun . . . it doesn’t matter to me who sashays away!

• John Berggren says:

I’d like Raja better if she didn’t pull stinkface so often. She seems like someone who would throw a friend off a bridge given the chance if it meant she’d get ahead.

3. Buffy Freak says:

They missed out on the perfect opportunity to send the personality-free Carmen home. She hasn’t done anything but look pretty. Her lip-synch was a mess too…

And I just don’t get all the Raja Love…he’s more androgynous than drag queen. This season has been a huge disappointment..none of this year’s queens would finish in the top 4 in the first two seasons.

4. Agustin says:

I just can’t stand bimbo air-headed pseudo latina Carmen. Just dumb, stupid, superficial and vulgar (farting for the second time on air?), REALLY??!!

• Liana in San Diego says:

Carmen didn’t do the fart thing – it was Manila, and I think both of them should be sent home. And next Shangela, who is one vindictive, manipulative witch with a capital B. Agree that Raja, who for a long time has been my favorite, has become much more androgynous lately and less able to “sell” the queen part.

• Agustin says:

You are half right. Carmen did fart while being in the workroom along with Raja & Manila. Manila did it as part of the PSA.

5. MamaKath says:

I hope you stayed for the preview of next week’s show. Your gal, Ms. Jody Watley is one of the guest judges. :)

6. ger says:

I think Slezak should stick to Idol.

7. Teresa says:

I liked the juxtaposition of Johnny Weir’s critique of Carmen (“she will not sell tickets…”) with the photo of their kiss right below it. Whatever Carmen was selling during that lipsynch, Johnny sure looked like he was buying it.

8. davidnyla says:

What is with the casting this season? What kind of network notes or segment producers did they work off of? It’s an entirely different product this time around, and not a better one. None of these contestants are bringing fashion taste and style, and that man Raja, what the hell is HE doing? Cute challenges this season, love the Pit Crew, but the contestants— those cant be the best in the west.

9. ali says:

LOL at Slezak and the minions bashing the legendary, iconic drag performer Raja. RuPaul raved about her on his blog way back in 2001 after returning to LA and seeing her for the first time at Peanuts. Her real life success just shows ya’ll have no idea what you’re even talking about. Better stick to Idol and Buffy.

10. djm says:

Duh! News-flash – they are ALL dudes. Sorry, but not every drag queen needs to look like a contestant in the Miss Venezuela contest. I loved Nina Flower in Season 1 and she didn’t always look like a lady. In addition to looking fierce, a drag queen can be campy and fun – and I hope RuPaul proves that this year by picking Raja for the win.

11. JAy says:

People hate Carmen just because they are jealous! You know she is gorgeous so stop trying find ways to talk crap about her!