Nikita On the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

By mid-May (and sometimes sooner), the networks will be making some tough calls as to which shows will return for the 2011-12 TV season, and which are kaput. To compliment TVLine’s ongoing “Renew Our Show!” Bracket Tournament, we’re singling out select “bubble” shows to weigh their prospects. The latest series to have its long-term mission called into question: The CW’s Nikita.

THE SHOW: Nikita (The CW)

THE TIME SLOT: Thursdays at 9/8c.

NBC’s The Event On the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

THE CASE FOR KEEPING: Confession time: I wasn’t 100-percent sold on Nikita at first. Having been an Alias fan growing up, I didn’t really see the need to devote more time to such a similar concept. Luckily, I quickly saw the error of my ways. Aside from the obvious — its perfectly-cast cast is, um, gorgeous (We’re looking at you, Maggie Q!) – Nikita is complete, escapist fun. In less that a season, the series has successfully fleshed out its core characters via engaging flashbacks enmeshed within present-day arcs — namely, Alex’s (Lyndsy Fonseca) Russian roots and Nikita/Michael’s (Shane West) sordid love story — as well as mastered the art of the non-finale shocker (e.g. Thom’s midseason death). And while it is part of The CW, Nikita‘s jaw-dropping stunts and badass action scenes make is suitable for audiences far beyond the young adult demo the network is known to covet. It’s well-written, well-acted and keeps fans coming back for more each week.

Fox’s Lie to Me On the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

THE CASE FOR CUTTING: Nikita can be a bit repetitive, leaving me (and I assume other viewers) wanting more progression per episode. Case in point: In the very first episode, we learned Michael and Nikita were once on the same side, but now that she’s gone rogue and he’s with Division, they can’t be allies. So why is it necessary to have Percy sic Michael on her every single week? (And most of the time alone?) Switching things up would add variety. Also, more backstory for the likes of Melinda Clarke‘s Amanda would ultimately help us understand why big, bad Division is, in fact, so big and bad. Lastly, though the series has Michael and Nikita’s “Will They/Won’t They?” dynamic down to a delicious science, people love a good triangle, too. My suggestion: Let “Mikita” be together for a bit, then spice things up with a worthy third party.

Hit the comments section to make your own case for keeping or cutting Nikita.

Comments (122)

• I like the show. Please keep Nikita. I love Michael and Nikita or shall i say MIKITA!:) The story is well written and great action scenes. I watch these because of that and also becoz of MIKITA.:)

Comment by pammy34 – April 18, 2011 05:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikita must be saved !!!it’s the best series ever.The most exciting thing for me is to watch it every thursday .you def can’t predict what’s gonna happen next.there are always some surprises inside and that’s why i love it. I do hope CW can renew it ASAP.

Comment by ScorpioGirlJill – May 2, 2011 04:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely a keeper! Well writen,well directed,and has been since day one! The story lines are not clouded and the character developement is amazing and well paced. This is definitely one of the best series on ANY NETWORK!!!

Comment by Chris kingery – May 4, 2011 03:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DEFINITELY KEEP IT. Love the show, love Maggie Q. Great stories, action, characters.. CW would be shooting themselves in the corporate foot to cancel this series.

Comment by BJB – May 5, 2011 08:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keeper. . .the best show on CW!!!

Comment by Royale – May 5, 2011 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KEEP!!! KEEP!!!! Just finished watching the 1st part of the Season Finale and I’m already crying cuz I know its going to end!! :(
    BEST show on the CW by far!! Finally, a kicka** show where women are kicking some major a**!!!!

Comment by Melissa – May 5, 2011 10:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KEEP IT..

Comment by jasmine – May 8, 2011 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KEEP IT..
    *****IF ANYTHING PUT IT WITH
    SUPERNTAURAL ON FRIDAY’S AT 8 PM

Comment by jasmine – May 8, 2011 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KEEP IT!!!!!!!!!!
    LOVE THE SHOW!!!1

Comment by gisselle – May 8, 2011 10:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with my fellow posters, why would you want a love triangle? Those suck and happen far too often. They can only end in heartache and no one truly wins in a love triangle (example: Vampire Diaries). We see unhappiness in everyday life, we watch TV to escape that, so why force it into every series? Keep it Nikita/Michael and don’t tear them apart when we’ve finally got them together for some prime romance?

Geez, people and wanting to make things difficult and heartbreaking…

Comment by Kaity – May 12, 2011 09:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please keep it!!! I need my NIKITA escape. La Femme Nikita, Alias, and Dollhouse are finished, so where else am I going to get my superwoman fix? I haven’t even watched Grey’s A. This season& before Nikita it was my” can’t miss it” show. ( If you haven’t seen the 5 season La Femme Nikita series, you must get to a resale store or your library asap. :)

Comment by Heather D. – May 12, 2011 10:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please keep Nikita its a wonderful show and very suspenceful

Comment by Darius King – May 25, 2011 05:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • keep! i love this show me and my family are always anticipating to spend time together and watch the show each week and are waiting for the next season please … keep the show!!!

Comment by jpponoka – June 14, 2011 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DO NOT CUT NIKITA!! I love it so much

Comment by carly – August 29, 2011 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KEEP! It just gets better and better each episode! Burkoff’s lines have become so amazing, Ryan’s back, The “Mikita” is freakin’ adorable and Alex is finally able to be back on Nikita’s side again! Even the villains are getting more and more twisted, but believable as well!

Comment by Kati Linn – April 5, 2012 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KEEP Nikita !! Are you kidding me … this show might be cut??? That would be a huge mistake for this network. I have very few favourite shows and “sit-down” time in front of the TV. Nikita is one of the best all-round shows on the air right now. There is absolutely nothing missing in this show. Every character is likeable and watchable; the action is unbelievable and yet without blood and guts and gore; the story line is genius. The actors are wonderful to watch. I love all of the main characters. AND there are surprises on just your regular show that are worthy of “finale-type” suprises. AND most important …. there’s no “forensics” or lab scenes. AND I think I speak for the everyone ….. that is SOOOO refreshing. If I hear the word “epithelials” ever again, I’m going to scream! Lose Nikita and lose viewers … keep Nikita, keep your viewership happy ! This show has everything going for it.

Comment by Lilsnakey – April 12, 2012 06:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really would love the network to keep NIKITA. It’s one of my fave and if they cancel it, I’ll never watch the shows on the CW. This show has proven to be one of the best show of all time. The story line of course is amazing, the cast also are great. I’ll really like for this show to go up to ten seasons!

Comment by Kareen Latay Biah – November 30, 2013 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post