Nikita On the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

By mid-May (and sometimes sooner), the networks will be making some tough calls as to which shows will return for the 2011-12 TV season, and which are kaput. To compliment TVLine’s ongoing “Renew Our Show!” Bracket Tournament, we’re singling out select “bubble” shows to weigh their prospects. The latest series to have its long-term mission called into question: The CW’s Nikita.

THE SHOW: Nikita (The CW)

THE TIME SLOT: Thursdays at 9/8c.

NBC’s The Event On the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

THE CASE FOR KEEPING: Confession time: I wasn’t 100-percent sold on Nikita at first. Having been an Alias fan growing up, I didn’t really see the need to devote more time to such a similar concept. Luckily, I quickly saw the error of my ways. Aside from the obvious — its perfectly-cast cast is, um, gorgeous (We’re looking at you, Maggie Q!) – Nikita is complete, escapist fun. In less that a season, the series has successfully fleshed out its core characters via engaging flashbacks enmeshed within present-day arcs — namely, Alex’s (Lyndsy Fonseca) Russian roots and Nikita/Michael’s (Shane West) sordid love story — as well as mastered the art of the non-finale shocker (e.g. Thom’s midseason death). And while it is part of The CW, Nikita‘s jaw-dropping stunts and badass action scenes make is suitable for audiences far beyond the young adult demo the network is known to covet. It’s well-written, well-acted and keeps fans coming back for more each week.

Fox’s Lie to Me On the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

THE CASE FOR CUTTING: Nikita can be a bit repetitive, leaving me (and I assume other viewers) wanting more progression per episode. Case in point: In the very first episode, we learned Michael and Nikita were once on the same side, but now that she’s gone rogue and he’s with Division, they can’t be allies. So why is it necessary to have Percy sic Michael on her every single week? (And most of the time alone?) Switching things up would add variety. Also, more backstory for the likes of Melinda Clarke‘s Amanda would ultimately help us understand why big, bad Division is, in fact, so big and bad. Lastly, though the series has Michael and Nikita’s “Will They/Won’t They?” dynamic down to a delicious science, people love a good triangle, too. My suggestion: Let “Mikita” be together for a bit, then spice things up with a worthy third party.

Hit the comments section to make your own case for keeping or cutting Nikita.

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Burning Questions, Cancellations, Keep Or Cut, Renewals

1. Maaik says:

Keep! I was really worried it was going to be Nikita carbon copy from years ago, but it has a great mood to it. Storyline I don’t find too repetitive, I’m curious every week what is going to happen next.

• Emily says:

Keep it, it’s my favorite show. I bumped all other Thursday shows for it.

• alexander Christopher says:

I agree.Nikita,”Maggie O” is sexy,and the action keeps me wanting to find out what happens in the next episode.Cutting this show wouldn’t be a wise decision.

• Barry says:

KEEP IT. Awesome show. Difficult time slot. That alone makes it worthy of a second season. One season only sets the stage, so give them a second to really show what they can do. Best argument is Maggie Q and Lyndsay Fonseca are amazing talented beautiful actresses and that alone Is enough for me!

• kaytie says:

I am a fan of nikita and I really hope you guys will keep it when is it coming back on??? Can’t wait so excited

2. Drew H says:

It does get a bit repetitive, but really I think Nikita’s biggest problem is the time slot. I usually only see it in repeats because my DVR is busy recording two other shows. I mean it’s up against Bones, Grey’s, CSI, and NBC’s comedies. That kind of keeps it in fourth no matter how good it gets and that last episode was awesome.

3. Rachel says:

I agree with SOME of your points. But overall I think this is the best, most complete show to come around the CW for a LONG time. It would be they’re biggest mistake yet to not renew it.
    SO JUST DO IT CW!!!! JFC. BUT MEG, OMG STOP MILKING THIS “TRIANGLE” TREND CW SHOWS INSIST ON HAVING. LAST thing i this AMAZING show needs is friggin proliferation of love interests. JUST STOP IT ALREADY (CW and all other networks rly) why can’t someone (Silverstein, I’m looking at you!) have enough talent to keep a love story going without having to throw in all these random “obstacles” in the form of other LI’s. Mikita (the main love SL) has got enough baggage as it is – and they’re “obstacles” consist of CIRCUMSTANCE. Thus, also being another GREAT aspect of the show. And i sure hope they keep it that way! If anything, if you MUST go the dreaded path of a triangle – give that Alex character the triangle. Maybe it will actually make me enjoy her character. Eh. Idk. But leave Nikita/Michael out of it! Don’t frigging ruin they’re story. They already for they’re other *ghostly* LI’s (Daniel/Elizabeth). Ha! I do agree on one other thing. NEEDS MORE NIKITA – SHE IS THE TITLE CHARACTER FOR CHRIST’S SAKE. *eyeroll* Hoping for more of her in the back 6 eppys!

and again, SEASON 2!!!!!!!!!! Don’t make me have someone hold my poodle CW!!!!

4. Jen says:

Oh please keep it CW! The series starts off a bit slow but picks up by the episode. The action is AMAZING, the acting remarkable, and the story telling has been exceptional. There hasn’t been an episode thus far that I haven’t enjoyed and the history behind Michael/Nikita and what happened there is so intriguing. I can’t wait for them to peel back those layers and start revealing more and more of what happened. Add that to the fact that Shane West & Maggie Q have undeniable chemistry. If they do decide to add a triangle in at some point as long as it’s not between the main 3 Ill be ok. Maybe bring in an outsider like they have done and add that mystery element and just leave it at that. Nikita really isn’t a type of show where characters can be in a romantic tangles for long due to circumstance. I think right now the show is doing a good job with that. Anyway love this show and hope it sees a S2 and many more after that!

5. sd says:

KEEP!!!!!!! THIS SHOW IS AMAZING!!!!!! I WATCH IT EVERY THURSDAY!!!

6. Mikaylah says:

Definitely KEEP! I love the action aspect of the show, which is something the CW was lacking. The only shows I watch on the CW are The Vampire Diaries, Nikita, Supernatural and Smallville, which are the more action orientated shows. Nikita (and Maggie Q) kicks butt, Alex is an intriguing character and I hope to learn more about her father and his history, Amanda is scary and I’d like to see more of her history as well, and I also love Michael. I think you’ll get a bit of that “spice” in the next episode, since the promos make it seem like they hook up. No third party though, because I HATE when shows do that. There is enough of a reason for them NOT to be together without another person.

7. Sabrina says:

Nikita is the best show on network television right now. It must stay on the air.

8. Alexa says:

I seriously have no understanding as to why The CW has been on and off with this show all season. It’s got some of the best ratings for the network.

Plus, it is the start of a move away from serialized drama in which the viewer has to tune in every week into the more episodic format that will pay off in the long run of syndication. It’s a technique that CBS has long since mastered.

So of course The CW should keep this show on the air. It’s one of the few smart moves that the network could make at this point.

9. Jennifer says:

KEEP!!! It’s my favourite show on TV right now, it doesn’t feel repetitive to me at all. CW would be foolish to cancel it.

10. lu says:

ABSOLUTELY A KEEPER!!! Enuff said!

11. patrick says:

I’d say keep it, but move it to Fridays with Supernatural. If the Cw is going to be cutting things, it has other shows it needs to be worried with first (gossip girl, 90210, Hellcats). It sounds like the Secret Circle would be a better fit for the post Vampire Diaries slot, unless they plan to let it lead off another night.

12. Darlene says:

Keep it! I love Nikita. It’s a nice change from all the procedural cop/CSI type shows.

13. Max says:

Nikita is the best new show of the season, along with Hawaii five-0 and Spartacus Gods of the arena.

They have to keep it.

14. Simone says:

Keep! Please, please keep. It’s been a while since a show has captivated me this much. I do agree that it was initially a bit repetitive, but that seems to be changing lately, especially within the last five or so episodes. Episode 17, for example, sounds like it will be a big game-changer. I also agree that it needs to be in another time slot. It could be just as big a hit for The CW as Vampire Diaries or Supernatural, if only they would schedule it differently. Wednesdays at 8 p.m., anyone?

15. M says:

If they cancel Nikita but keep 90210/Gossip Girl, that will be one of the most ridiculous things ever. Both of those shows have utterly horrible ratings and the quality has been gone, particularly for GG, since pre-strike Season 1. Nikita is fresh and exciting and well-written/produced. It NEEDS to come back. I fully expect it to be paired with Supernatural on Friday nights. There’s no way The CW is going to launch a new show on Friday.

16. Cristina says:

I live 4 Nikita. I love the show too bits. but no third party please. Mikita r meant to be.

17. Sabrina says:

Keep Nikita. Cut CW.

18. rhona says:

keep it!!!! it’s one of the best shows on tv!!!!!

19. Jon says:

If they keep 90210/one tree hill/Gossip Girl/insert teenage bomb here, and get rid of Bikita, it will be the worst thing ever. The biggest problem with the show is its time slot- 9pm on a Thursday nightie pretty full, not to metion that it’s on after Vampire Diaries, which IS a good show, but it’s for a completely different audience. You Ask me, put Nikita on with Supernatural on frost nights. Perfect pairing.

20. Amy says:

KEEP for sure!!!!!!!! one of my favorite shows on now!!!! The whole cast is amazing and I love that there is a new mission in every episode!!!! Best new show on T.V this season!

21. tory says:

Cut it, kill it, bury it……….get rid of the show and put supernatural back in it’s rightful time slot ASAP!!!!!!!!!

22. Kelly says:

Keep Nikita!!! But NO freaking love triangle! It’s always been about Mikita and it should always remain that way!!!

23. Jay says:

Keep. Probably the best new show.
    Thrilling, pretty, well acted.
    What’s not to love.

24. sylvie says:

Keep this show, definitely. For once, a show on this network that has a real badass female lead who we can actually care about. Nikita has an interesting storyline, unpredictable plot twists and gripping cliffhangers, REAL and rough action sequences, layered relationships between characters, an undeniably sexy and attractive cast, and great wardrobe. It’s a thoroughly entertaining show that I absolutely look forward to EVERY WEEK. It’s a show that doesn’t bank on sex or cheating or cheap love triangles (i’m sorry, this plot bunny is terribly overrated).

I check in on Nikita every week because I want to know what happens to these characters. This show is obviously well-crafted and well-planned story-wise, something that many other shows have taken for granted by trying to reel in viewers with shocking senseless plots or hookups or other crazy shock factors. If you have a good story, plus all the other entertaining elements I’ve previously mentioned, you’ve got a winner. Nikita is clearly a winner. It would be a huge mistake not to keep it.

oh and, yes I confess that I’m a Mikita fan, and like what others have said, there’s just NO NEED for a love triangle to make this couple interesting. Look at them! they’re already complex and complicated and conflicted as it is! the characters have clearly shown their obvious attraction to each other even without kissing, just with mere meaningful glances, dialogue delivered in certain ways, body language: That’s great acting. And awesome chemistry thanks to Shane West and Maggie Q. I’m all for spicing things up between the two, but Nikita’s brilliant writers will no doubt be able to come up with countless ways to keep this romance burning without the need to add someone else in.

25. MacGuffin says:

Keep!

They have taken the Nikita concept and reimagined it. Lots of really smart, cool plot twists. And plenty of Maggie Q, who is one super hot bad-ass.

Nikita is the only new 2010/11 show I have kept watching . . . and the only one on CW I have ever watched. So consider this a tent pole show and keep this great show on!

26. Marci says:

KEEP NIKITA!!!!!

It is the only reason I tune in to CW on Thursday Nights besides the Vampire Diaries…

This show is great and we need this on CW besides some of the soap opera shows like 90210 etc. that I don’t watch. I like shows with suspense, action and mystery.

27. John D says:

Keep it. Definitely. Nikita is easily one of the best (if not the best) show on the CW. I can’t imagine that anything else the netlet has in the hopper would be able to match up to Nikita. Keep it, give it a better timeslot, promote the heck out of it and let it grow.

28. Debbie says:

Keep.

It’s the closest thing to Alias I’ve seen in a long time I love the show but it can’t stay at Thursday’s at nine.

29. amanda s says:

At first I too wasn’t very sure about this show, and I would end up having like two or three weeks of it pile up on my DVR before I got around to it. But lately I have been devouring every episodes. The story lines have become so amazing that I now find that this is one of my favorite shows on television and I can’t wait to get home on Thursday night to watch it. I would be devastated if this show got canceled!!! KEEP, KEEP, KEEP!!!!

30. Ashley says:

PlEase keep Nikita!!!

31. Dan says:

This is one of the only new shows of the fall season I still actually watch. Its one of the higher rated shows on the Network, and it took a story that’s already been told 3 times before and managed to keep it still interesting. If all of that doesn’t say keep it, TV as a whole is doomed. I definitely agree it can use a new time slot.

32. Dreamrose says:

I say it’s a keeper.

There aren’t too many other primetime shows out there with a strong female lead. I enjoy seeing Nikita as a confident professional – she knows precisely what she’s doing, but isn’t above enjoying herself at Percy’s expense.

I also confess to being rooting for the Michael-Nikita romance. It’s more complicated than anyone likes to admit, too. Remember, Michael’s reason for being in Division is vengeance for the death of his wife (and daughter); does he think that he is somehow tarnishing the memory of that relationship with his feelings for Nikita? Now that he’s found Nikita, will he actively (or even passively) help her in her fight against Division? Will they finally “get a room”? The dynamic is certainly intriguing. The only other character, at this point, I would like to see Nikita entertaining as a romantic interest is Owen, but it might be a bit odd, as he just lost the woman he loved not too long ago.

In any event, I hope they keep Nikita around for more epic fisticuffs.

33. Aidan says:

KEEP KEEP KEEP! Id be so lost without it!

34. Epic says:

Please keep this show on the air. I love Nikita–it is the only show I watch on a regular basis. I love the Nikita and Michael storyline and off the charts chemistry, more recently Alex has really grown on me (once she got outside of Division), the action and fighting scenes are the best on TV and are cinema worthy. All of the supporting characters are perfectly cast. The writing is very smart and tight. We need more Nikita!

35. Jason says:

KEEP IT. Fonseca is a friggin’ hottie.

36. Patricia says:

KEEP I love this show it’s sexy and fun great cast, Maggie and Shane have an amazing chemistry I wanna see more and more can’t wait to see what happens next.

37. MGL says:

KEEP IT. It is very good (almost too good for the CW). The show is smart, sexy, action filled, and as others have said, the chemistry between Nikita and Michael is fabulous. The story needs to continue to be told!

38. Ashley says:

Cut and make room on the schedule for a show that better fits the CW. The show gets dismal W18-34 and can’t retain the audience from TVD. Let the actors move along to shows on a major network and use the slot for a new show.

39. I miss the drama, storytelling and depth of USA’s La Femme Nikita.

40. Celice says:

KEEP IT!!!!!!!!! I loooooove Maggie Q, she’s such a kick a*s chic!!!!

41. Well says:

I would keep it and cut Hellcats, cause in reality it does a bit better than Hellcats in ratings, but it isn’t doing better than what SPN did last year in the Thursday slot…

However; VD and Nikita do not share an audience, I see SPN and Nikita with more of an audience overlap, but not by much.

So I would say keep it and pair it with SPN, but move the two shows to Monday or Tuesday and put GG and 90210 on Friday…

The CW needs to shake up their schedule big time, they are dying on M-W, Thursday’s and Friday’s are the only nights working for them..

42. shann says:

hate nikita! CW can do better

43. Leigh says:

KEEP! It’s the only reason why I’m watching the CW right now. This is a really good show and deserves to be kept!

44. Nita says:

Absolutely KEEP..!! I think Nikita is one of the best new shows on TV. I love the casting, story, action, drama.. CW would be dumb not to have renew it yet!

45. tina says:

definitely KEEP nikita. television needs more strong, positive women figures. and it needs to be a little less whitewashed.

46. Zara says:

Do you have any idea how many rounds I watch Nikita while waiting for April 7?? Everyday!! Hah that’s how obsess I am with the show. I care less to record other shows since I can watch the repeats on any other days or the weekends. But Nikita is a never-to-be-missed show. I watch quite a few spy dramas like Alias, Chuck, Covert Affairs but right now nothing can beat Nikita. And Maggie Q is so perfect for the role. She has the package, hard working, martial arts experience, gorgeous, smart, funny, charming….just right!

More to that, Nikita is still different compared to the shows I have mentioned earlier. And CW is a perfect network too. I dont think it ever has a drama as hot, dark, and brutal as Nikita. But then again, Like MAggie said..it’s not about the network. It’s about what people wants to watch on tv. What’s their favourite shows etc. And right now alot of people are loving Nikita. And if you are just talking about fans in the U.S, Canada and Europe well you are wrong!!! Maggie Q is half Asian breed, and owes alot of her career to Asia so her fan base in Asia is large! It will kill us all in Asia if you cancel the show. It simply means you are killing MAggie Q!! So please…let the show go on CW!!

Zara

47. helena says:

KEEP NIKITA !

48. yami says:

Umm do we even need to make a case.

It’s better than 90210, better than hellcats, hell better than some other shows on other networks (heres looking at you Bones).

49. Stephanie says:

KEEP NIKITA!! ONE OF THE BEST SHOW ON THE CW.

50. Viv says:

Keep! People say it’s out of place on the CW, but it’d be out of place anywhere. How many other shows are centered on two women kicking butt and taking down shadowy government conspiracies? By standard tv doctrine, this show shouldn’t exist at all. But it does and it has a respectable audience, so Nikita should be around for at least another season.