Elizabeth Mitchell Previews the V Season Finale: Can Badass Erica Evans Save the World?

This week on ABC’s V (Tuesday at 9/8c), more than ever it is time for the Fifth Column to put up or shut up, lest Anna deploy her plan to use the Concordia sites as landing pads for the Visitor ships, and in turn round up the Earth women to breed some hybrids. TVLine invited Elizabeth Mitchell to give us a taste of what to expect from the season finale, reflect on Erica’s libidinous liaison, get caught up on a Lost love, and ponder V’s future.

TVLINE | When last we tuned in, the Visitors had 500-plus ships orbiting Earth. So… what’s the plan to fend them all off?
I know, it’s going to be tough! But thank goodness we have Erica Evans.

TVLINE | She has become very, very badass in recent weeks.
She really has, mentally and physically, and that’s been so much fun! Plus I get to have tons and tons of [bruise and cut makeup] all over my face, which you know I love.

TVLINE | What kind of cliffhanger will the finale leave us with? Will we be left wondering if the Fifth Column’s plan, whatever it may be, worked?
There are a bunch of things in the works. I enjoyed reading the script, it feels like a mini-movie. I mean, it took us a little longer to shoot it, and we spent a lot of money! [Laughs] I haven’t seen [the final cut], but a lot of the people I talk to in production say it’s their favorite.

Morena Baccarin Teases V‘s ‘Totally Nutty’ Season Finale

TVLINE | What would a Season 3 look like? Will Erica & Co. be fending off a global invasion every week, or will the drama get smaller in scale?
I liken up until now to Rocky I, and I feel like Season 3 would be Rocky II, where Erica does everything right, is the smartest woman that ever existed, is the most powerful, and everybody [on the V ships] gets completely massacred. That’s what I’m hoping for.

TVLINE | How do you like Erica being more active, bossing around all these alpha males?
I love working with alpha males; I think it’s fantastic. And they have been incredibly generous to me in that they are a bunch of alpha males, and they still let me lead them. I find them to be still very manly [Laughs], so it works out well.

TVLINE | You told me last May that you wanted Erica to enjoy a “little sordid romance.” Lo and behold, she recently hooked up with Hobbes (played by Charles Mesure).
I’m wondering if that’s because I kept writing letters? “Could you please let me hook up with somebody?!” But yeah, I’m happy for the characters – it showed how unbelievably kind of damaged and raw and dangerous she is, even to herself, right now.

TVLINE | I like how she was pretty casual about it after.
It has that feeling, but I think there might be something deeper to it. Neither of them is the type to ever admit that they actually like each other, so I think it’s better for them to just keep it sex.

TVLINE | Should we be feeling bad here for Father Jack (Joel Gretsch), though? I mean, he lost his collar and everything….
I do, I feel really bad for Father Jack, especially now that he’s no longer a priest – which you have to admit was a pretty major stumbling block towards romance! But I love Father Jack and Erica, because I feel like she’s such a good person with him.

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Marc Singer’s Return to V

TVLINE | I was recently breaking in my new flat-screen TV, and it involved a rewatch of the Lost finale. Damn if the Sawyer/Juliet reunion doesn’t hold up really well.
Awww. It’s so sad, isn’t it? It’s so sadly happy. I think that [executive producers Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse] have a definite romantic streak. They had this incredible sense for adventure, and they also had this wonderful sense for romance. I loved it.

TVLINE | The Lost cast is doing very well. Terry O’Quinn, Jorge Garcia and Michael Emerson have booked pilots. In addition to the next Mission: Impossible movie, Josh Holloway is in the season finale of Community….
Is he really? I’m so excited for that. He’s really funny. I always told him that he should do comedy, actually.

TVLINE | Speaking of pilots, I have a good feeling about V getting a Season 3 pick-up, if only because none of you seem to be hedging your bets by booking new gigs.
Yeah, all of us have been saying the same thing – “Are we going to go out for pilot season…?” [Laughs] But they keep saying we’re still on hold, so that’s definitely a good sign, isn’t it? After those first six [episodes of V], I’ve really, really been having a great time, so my hope is to come back and continue what we’ve started.

Do you hope V continues what it started next season? And what sort of twists do you expect from the season finale? Who do you think will die?

Comments (28)

• I am kind of hoping that the finale will lead to an exposure of the V’s plans, forcing the fifth column to be both become more active and have to go underground. That was one of the great things about the original series. I think it would be interesting to see how that concept would work out in the current technological age.

Comment by Mykelogan – March 15, 2011 06:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Mykelogan, you are right on. I do hope this gets picked up for Season 3. LOVE the direction it’s going now.

Comment by sash fan – March 15, 2011 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If it doesn’t get picked up by ABC, I hope another station does. I love V. I rush home just to watch it and Smallville. I think V deserves another season

Comment by j – March 15, 2011 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as they don’t kill of Laura Vandevoort’s character, I’m happy. Smallville let her go, so I hope “V” doesn’t do the same.

I’d like to see a king of civil war between the V’s in the finale. Anna against everyone!

Comment by Jamie – March 15, 2011 06:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love “V.” As a series-long fan of LOST, V is the only new “genre” show I have been interested in. I’m hoping for a 3rd season, even if it’s only a 13-eps. arc. Never realized how engrossed I’ve become by aliens. And I love the Jade Bader takeover angle. Can’t wait til tonight.

Comment by Jason – March 15, 2011 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If V gets a season 3 pickup, they need to bring Jane Badler front and center. Even if she’s merely Lydia to Morenna’s Anna – she needs out of the dungeon and ambulatory.

Comment by John Berggren – March 15, 2011 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They need to do two things:

1. Kill Tyler.
    2. Get new writers. As has been eloquently expressed elsewhere, the Fifth Column is like the Three Stooges of rebellions, minus the comedy. Bring in the BSG writers to kick this up a few notches.

Comment by Steve G. – March 15, 2011 07:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want to see more V, but they need to improve the writing. I still don’t feel like it has the emotional or political context of the original. There are so many moments from those first 10 hours of V that still resonate with me today. I can’t think of a moment from the past 2 seasons of V that has that impact.

Comment by John Berggren – March 15, 2011 07:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I disagree the original had no political context and it was short-lived. I like the global social and religious aspect of this V. I think after the season finale like the one aired today we will see a lot more V! I couldn’t breath when I saw Mike Donavon. I want more!

Comment by Milsgra – March 15, 2011 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What Steve G said.

Comment by essiekins – March 15, 2011 07:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve said this once and I’ll say it again, the ONLY way I will tune in to a season is if Tyler is killed off, I can’t stand to see that kid behave like an idiot in every episode and still get sympathy. The only smart thing he’s ever done was decide to go home to his mom. Plain and simple, Kill Tyler or I’m through. Oh and beef up the writing also, make it more interesting like the last few episodes have been and I’ve actually enjoyed them even though I still have half a clue of whats going on.

Comment by TheRiffRaff – March 15, 2011 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’s too late. They’ve driven off a lot of viewers. No matter how “killer” the finale may be, will there be anyone left to watch it? I believe we’ll be watching the series finale.

Comment by Bob – March 15, 2011 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Geez, can you give up on asking about Lost already? Get over it. It was a great pilot that meandered into a decent show and ended up going out on a whimper. Let. It. Go.

Comment by Veronica – March 15, 2011 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I do try to let go, Jack, but the finale rewatch was very fresh in my mind when Liz called. “We should get coffee sometime…”

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich, Editor-at-Large TVLine.com – March 15, 2011 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Don’t worry Matt some of us enjoyed the question.

Comment by Amiee – March 15, 2011 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE Elizabeth Mithcell & I hope V comes back for a 3rd season w/a short episode commitment like this year.

It’s pulpy good “Bad” TV and a welcome diversion in my house.

Comment by Joe – March 15, 2011 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve really enjoyed V and will be pissed if it’s not picked up. One of the positives going for it is that it does better ratings then the two other shows that sandwich it. ABC can’t cancel everything can they??

Comment by Jasin – March 15, 2011 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I HOPE V does get a 3rd Season pickup.

Comment by Laurel – March 15, 2011 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They have to bring Diana back front and center. She’s too good a character to “shuffle aside” and Jane Badler is too good an actress to remove from the series. She gives it glue. She not only is a GREAT foil for Anna, but as viewers, we are wondering “Is Diana going to be the Anakain Skywalker from Darth Vader who will help save Earth because she wants to stop Anna? OR… Is Diana the greater threat that makes Anna look like a kitten? Remember when Diana got all fired up when she was told humans and V’s could bare children? You saw her “evil/takeover” side come to the surface for a few moments. Who is this Diana really? Friend or Foe?

That is the greatest element of the entire second season.
    If they dump that element, V be damned.
    Period.
    End of story.

Comment by Mathew – March 15, 2011 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • EWlizabeth is so… Elizabeth! The woman is perfect. I hope V returns!

Comment by Mayra – March 15, 2011 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have been loving V so far, I was hoping that Joshua would do something to make sure the new queen egg could not hatch and just take Lisa in to Anna saying it was the newly hatched queen. Either way I love Laura Vandervoort, so I am glad that she is going to still be around for a season 3. I was shocked when Amy killed Ryan, although just like with tyler, with the use of V tech they are not necessarily gone. I didnt expect the twist with Erica’s partner and boss at all, so that was cool. Keep kicking tail Erica :)

Comment by Timothy – March 15, 2011 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The problem with ABC viewership is that everyone is afraid to get into their new series because they’re natorious for canceling shows. After Heros and Flash Forward I’ll be 100% done watching anything on ABC if there isn’t a season 3 and proper ending for V. If they’re willing to keep leaving shows without proper endings, I’m willing to change the channel.

Comment by Danny – March 16, 2011 12:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, Heroes was on NBC. But ABC had also considered a previous paranormal show, Invasion, as “just not good enough” even tho it had maintained an average of nearly TEN million viewers per episode, & they went ahead & cancelled it after a full season of 22 eps- with a “season finale” that ended on one hell of a cliffhanger. Apparently, V has only been able to get half that (again, on average); but maybe ABC has become more ~lenient, seeing as how V was still able to get a second season in the first place (altho both seasons were shortened, with the amount of effects they use- the CGi alone, for example- the costs were probably still as much as two full seasons worth, hehe).

Comment by twitter.com/SimbiAni – March 24, 2011 06:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Although interesting, “V” is the MOST depressing show on TV. I am not sure if we will tune in again. No wins for the human race. Not even a inkling of uplifting hope in the Finale. Nada. Very depressing.

Comment by Jill – March 16, 2011 08:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Danny, Heroes was on NBC.

As for V, season 2 was starting to decline but that finale definitely showed progress and risk-taking – something that the show needed at the very beginning of season two. Let’s hope that it gets a third season and that the writers can use this little push to gain momentum and bring forth some stellar TV viewing.

Comment by Adam – March 16, 2011 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finale?? It hasn’t even been on 3 months! I was looking forward to this week’s episode lol well…

Comment by AplMacLady – March 24, 2011 11:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Project Alice” is trying to get a 3rd season of V

Comment by Manwella – May 30, 2011 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oh am so ancious for season 3 i loved the first 2 seasons with passion especially as the Vs were always victorious, waiting impatiently for season 3

Comment by mirabel limunga – August 1, 2011 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post