'Renew Our Show' Bracket Tourney Continues! Give a Second Season to Nikita or The Event

They were arguably the two hottest pilots of the fall 2010 TV season, but neither The CW’s Nikita or NBC’s The Event are locks for a second season. Which is exactly the reason we’ve put the two freshman series in hand-to-hand combat as part of the first annual “Renew Our Show!” Sweet 16 Bracket Tournament.

Why would we be so cruel and make you decide which one lives and which one dies? Well, ’tis the season when network execs decide which percolating pilots and which existing series will find a home on their 2011-2012 schedules. (If you’re worried about the status of anything currently on your DVR “series-recording” lineup, don’t miss our regularly updated Renewal Scorecard feature.) And that’s where our tournament comes in. “Renew Our Show!” features 16 existing series currently in on-the-bubble limbo; we left out the sure-fire pickups (like The Good Wife, Supernatural, and Bones) and those to which the Grim Reaper has already paid a visit.

Every weekday at 1 p.m. ET for the next two weeks, you’ll be able to vote in polls to help narrow down the field. Click here to see the entire bracket (then click again on the image for a zoomed-in view). Four series have already marched their way into Round 2: Lie to Me, Brothers & Sisters, Parenthood, and Chuck (leaving No Ordinary Family, Harry’s Law, The Defenders, and Human Target in the dust).

And now you’ve got to decide between Nikita and The Event. Polls will be open for 72 hours, so do your civic duty, then hit the comments to justify your vote, and head to Facebook and Twitter to whip your fellow fanboys and fangirls into a frenzy. And to get alerted to all future “Renew Our Show” showdowns, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV. Now ready, set, vote!

Comments (175)

• NIKITA !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by helena – March 14, 2011 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NIKITA!!

Comment by Stephanie – March 14, 2011 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE the event. Best new show

Comment by lady t – March 14, 2011 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please do not take Blair and the Event off the air!
    I can hardly wait from week to week!!

Comment by Pamm baker – March 14, 2011 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watch both shows religiously, but if I had to make a choice, I’d have to choose Nikita. The Event seems like it could finish its entire story in one season, whereas Nikita seems like it has a lot more storytelling to do. Also, The Event seems to be a more localized show; you have to pay every bit of attention to the smallest details, and most people don’t analyze TV that thoroughly. In addition, The Event isn’t really a show that could easily gain fans. Its (sometimes over-)complicated storylines and methods through which it tells its stories may confuse viewers; people like to think when they watch TV, but many don’t like to think TOO much. TV is supposed to be more of an entertaining experience typically, and that’s how most shows become popular; they’re sometimes simple (or, at least, simple enough). However, Nikita, though also sometimes somewhat complex, has a much broader appeal and viewer understanding capability. More people can get into the show more easily than they would The Event.

Basically, I don’t want to see either of these shows go. They’re both, in my opinion, phenomenal; however, if I were to make a choice, I’d keep Nikita because it’s more fun to watch, and (although it’s on the not-so-popular The CW) it has the ability to effectively grasp more dedicated viewers.

Comment by Taelor – March 14, 2011 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why is this even being discussed? NIKITA, hands down!
    Those who are probably rooting for the Event have not watched the rest of the Nikita episodes so far. At first it took a few episodes to get warmed up to, but when I finally got sucked into the Nikita warp, there was no turning back. This is an AWESOME series. Every episode has a great cliffhanger. Nikita and the rest of the cast deliver mind-blowing action sequences (and you can really see the actors throw the kicks and punches!). The humor is dry, sarcastic, pretty funny actually. Everyone is sexy and CAN act. Every minute of each episode will leave you wanting MORE. I can’t say the same for the EVENT. I’m a sci-fi freak myself and I’ve watched this.. afraid to say, sometimes it’s boring. It has a great premise but it’s often dragging. I slept through a few episodes. Nikita on the other hand.. this will keep you awake all the time and you get so hooked on the rush of a great spy genre, and you get to care about the characters.
    NIKITA FOR A SECOND SEASON definitely. This show deserves it!

Comment by sylvie – March 14, 2011 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cancel both shows. They’re both horrible. Poor actors and horribly written scripts. Neither show deserves to be saved.

Comment by Lorraine C – March 14, 2011 09:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dude you need to be canceled. You’re horrible. You suck!

Comment by Tommy – March 16, 2011 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m loving The Event! Never have like this kinda stuff in the past but The Event makes me think of all the possibilities.

Comment by Angie – March 14, 2011 09:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely Nikita.

Comment by Darius – March 14, 2011 10:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The event !!! Love that show ! Different! good history!
    But you have to watch and follow it to understand it! Please vote for the event!!!
    How many more nikita’s series we need?

Comment by Patty – March 14, 2011 10:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikita is the best!!! love this show, looking forward to new episodes and season 2!!!

Comment by Ali – March 14, 2011 10:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikita is the best. The Event is a bag of flying cow dung, it has to go. So glad it’s been on hiatus, it needs to stay that way. Stupid Lost knock off. You’ll never be my man Abrams deal with it, accept it, and get off the air!

Comment by Ben – March 14, 2011 11:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Easy choice: Nikita. It’s an amazing show!

The Event: poor acting, weak plots, trying to be epic, but epically failing! I actually got annoyed watching it, annoyed.

Comment by Danielle – March 15, 2011 12:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikita by a landslide! I too gave The Event a try (was even looking forward to it thanks to the deceptively good previews), but I found it completely terrible. I watched a bit the other day because my dad had it on, and while it was more bearable than before, it still wasn’t very good.

Nikita, on the other hand, has just gotten better and better–just imagine how much better it could get with more seasons! :)

Comment by shel – March 15, 2011 01:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikita of course.They musn’t finish such a wonderful serie.my last word is don’t finish it.

Comment by Bealbort – March 15, 2011 06:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikita deserves a second season because the show keeps getting better and better every week. Maggie Q and Shane are HOT! Nikita show is amazing :) SAVING Nikita :)

Comment by Patty – March 15, 2011 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikita. No question. I watched both shows from the start. I lost all interest in The Event around the fourth episode, while Nikita hooked me from the fourth episode, and I haven’t looked back since. It continues to get better and better every week. Nikita all the way!

Comment by Simone – March 15, 2011 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Woah, this is like comparing chocolate with prunes. Milkshake with carrot juice. A 5 star hotel to a funky smelling no star motel. You get the point.

Nikita has to have a season 2 it’s legendary so far. ‘the event’ (i hate that cheesy name) in comparision with Nikita doesn’t deserve a s2. the characters, who cares? In Nikita the plots are amazing yet to be explored, always developing. The characters are amazing-er. A really great cast with explosive chemistry – Maggie Q and Shane West. It’s hard to find actors that just click very well in a romantic way. Especially since for half the season their moments have been looks – they have the intense stare perfect. The fight scenes I adore.

‘The Event’ (errrgghhh that annoying title) on it’s own without comparing… i wouldn’t vote it off the island, i’d save my vote for something else because I have no interest in it.

Comment by Penny – March 15, 2011 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I vote Nikita cos it’s badass, wasn’t intending on watching but turned it on it was episode 2 and have been hooked ever since. They got me!

The Event was a show I was going to watch, I did and regretted wasting 48 minutes of my life. I tried again and again, more wasted time I will never get back. I just don’t care for the characters or the storyline, but for those who do I hope it gets an S2.

I can’t believe they haven’t confirmed Nikita yet, it’s one of the best shows on the CW, one of the only shows with substance aside from Supernatural. They shouldn’t mess around. Renew it like now!

Comment by Robbie – March 15, 2011 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NIKITA has become my favorite show… I TRIED to watch The Event, gave it a valiant effort but I find it completely boring. NIKITA is AMAZING, it had me hooked from the start!!

Comment by Kayla – March 15, 2011 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikita keeps getting better and better – I enjoyed lfn, however loving this new version. CW would be mad to not renew for another season. I thought the ratings were positive compared to other CW shows.

Comment by Vix – March 15, 2011 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NIKITAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Comment by Paula – March 15, 2011 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep the Event!

Comment by Terry – March 15, 2011 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikita all the way!!!! It has a sexy cast, interesting storyline, and is fun for men and women of all ages. Nikita deserves a second season for sure. Never watched The Event and not planning on it! Like My Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-CW-Network-Should-Not-Wait-Four-Days-to-Post-Their-Episodes-Online/191162530915129. It’s called: THE CW SHOULD NOT WAIT FOUR DAYS TO POST THEIR EPISODES ONLINE. If you wish, you can read my bio. CW is the only network that waits four days to post their episodes online and I want to change this, with your help of course. Thanks. Peace and Love.

Comment by MikitaFan4vr – March 15, 2011 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • erm, Nikita is so good. It is perfect and refreshing and honestly, I do not understand how it hasn’t been renewed yet. Maggie Q is perfection. The Event doesn’t even compare, I died of boredom watching me. It’s almost wrong to compare the two shows. The Event should not even be compared to Nikita.

Comment by sara – March 15, 2011 10:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikita is excellent TV. There are groups online that support this show from a grassroots level. Go to Facebook and search for ‘Nikita’ and we are all there pulling for this show. I’ve not seen The Event and frankly don’t care to. From what little I’ve seen in commercials or onlin, this show looks (or feels) like Jericho or V. Apologies to fans of the show as I realize The Event is big time TV what with it being on NBC and everything and I hope it does get renewed. But Nikita is something special and hope that it gets renewed as well.

Comment by Ramon – March 16, 2011 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THE EVENT, THE EVENT, THE EVENT, THE EVENT, THE EVENT, THE EVENT!!!! And where did my post go from yesterday?????? Hmmmm

Comment by Mia – March 16, 2011 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t find where to vote!!!

Comment by Tammy – March 16, 2011 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikita needs to be renewed!

Comment by Linda – March 16, 2011 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I championed The Event during the first part of its first [and only] season, but when I watched the mid-season premiere screener, I was disappointed in the way the richly developed premise was reduced to a simple, dull-witted, straightforward show with virtually nothing to recommend it beyond the fact that the cast looks good. I’d given the pilot an A, but the mid-season premiere got a D+.

Keep Nikita; kill The Event.

Comment by Sheldon W. – March 16, 2011 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NIKITA NIKITA NIKITA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Heather – March 16, 2011 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NIKITA NIKITA NIKITA NIKITA NIKITA NIKITA NIKITA NIKITA ALWAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYS NIKITA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Jess – March 16, 2011 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ok I like em both but if I had to pick I would pick nikita hands down. Nikita has a better plot line more lovable characters. Hotter characters lmao. It’s suspnseful n I find myself gettin so into it that I actuali yell at the tv lmao.dont judge I know you do it do ppl lmmfao bring back nikita n do away with the event who cares if thomas is gona blow up everione up I’d rather see wat happens with alex n her russian heritage n if nikita n michael are finali gona get it on.

Comment by jo – March 17, 2011 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i think the polls are closed, but I love the event! Every show has excellent writing and I’m on the edge of my seat! And for nikita, I am not interested in a show that was already canceled 5 yrs ago! its already been done…

Comment by Nora – March 18, 2011 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Event all the way. They are turning the usual takeover the world genre on it’s ear. 2nd half of season is packed w/ serious action/drama.
    Tired of overdone spy/hotdrone chicks & unsmart plotlines. WB isn’t worth even 1 show to me.

Comment by Bad__Wobot – March 18, 2011 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NIKITA of course!!!!

Comment by K@t – March 19, 2011 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikita for thee winn!! @@@ ;D its such a great show that all the episodes have something that has to do with Michael & Nikita ;D

Comment by Angela – March 20, 2011 08:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikita! Duh!

Comment by Livi – March 20, 2011 09:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love The Event. Please keep it on another season. Everyone isn’t going to like every show, but there are many of us that do.

Comment by Nieka – March 21, 2011 06:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My vote is for the Event. I love this show! I can’t wait to see what happens with Dempsey and the vice-president.

Comment by nita – March 21, 2011 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Save “The Event”! Finally – TV that actually require thought! (Who knew?)

Nikita BLOWS! I grew up on “Foxy Brown”. Nikita is NO Foxy Brown!!!!

Keep “The Event”

Comment by Exec Asst Chgo – March 22, 2011 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • * I meant “TV that actually requires thought.” *

Comment by Exec Asst Chgo – March 22, 2011 07:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THE EVENT without a doubt for me. I hate when the networks cancel a show before you get to know the outcome and after you get involved in the plot. At least let us know what the writer was getting to and how we eventually save our planet. It leaves the viewer in limbo when the show is cancelled mid-stream. Put The Event on-demand only if need be.

Comment by plzbelieve – March 22, 2011 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NIKITA !!!
    Even in France we are watching (on the internet)!!
    NIKITA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    This is really a good show which is better and better !!! A second season for NIKITA !!!

Comment by Axelle (french who loves Nikita) – March 23, 2011 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Haven’t seen this Nikita show but The Event has been a total dud. Given up on it now as it’s obvious they’re stringing things out like they did Flashforward with no real idea of why. Better to burn bright than fade away. As with many Sci-Fi shows of recent times (FlashForward, Heroes) they all got too far into boring character arcs and forgot to entertain.

Meanwhile good shows like Reaper and Defying Gravity also get binned.

Perhaps some peeps at these TV stations shouldn’t have their contracts renewed either.

Comment by Kirk – March 23, 2011 10:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Event should without a doubt return. This show is like “24″, “V”, “4600″, “Lost” and several other programs still running, or inadvertently cancelled. It is entertaining, thought provoking; has suspense; is thrilling; keeps you guessing. It’s like a roller coster holds your attention and keeps you looking for the next drop/turn. Love the rolls of all characters. However, Mr. Underwood’s is my favorite – especially with recent changes – his ability to go from one extreme to the other – A TRUE ARTIST!

Comment by E Diane – March 23, 2011 11:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What shows are you watching?

Comment by E Diane – March 23, 2011 11:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SAVE The EVENT~

Comment by alice – March 27, 2011 05:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikita deserves a second season

Comment by Nicole – April 7, 2011 09:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NIKITA!!!!!!!!!!! Huge fan of the old one. I like the new spin on this one. Characters and actors are awesome. And fonseca is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Doom – April 24, 2011 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post