'Renew Our Show' Bracket Tourney Continues! Give a Second Season to Nikita or The Event

They were arguably the two hottest pilots of the fall 2010 TV season, but neither The CW’s Nikita or NBC’s The Event are locks for a second season. Which is exactly the reason we’ve put the two freshman series in hand-to-hand combat as part of the first annual “Renew Our Show!” Sweet 16 Bracket Tournament.

Why would we be so cruel and make you decide which one lives and which one dies? Well, ’tis the season when network execs decide which percolating pilots and which existing series will find a home on their 2011-2012 schedules. (If you’re worried about the status of anything currently on your DVR “series-recording” lineup, don’t miss our regularly updated Renewal Scorecard feature.) And that’s where our tournament comes in. “Renew Our Show!” features 16 existing series currently in on-the-bubble limbo; we left out the sure-fire pickups (like The Good Wife, Supernatural, and Bones) and those to which the Grim Reaper has already paid a visit.

Every weekday at 1 p.m. ET for the next two weeks, you’ll be able to vote in polls to help narrow down the field. Click here to see the entire bracket (then click again on the image for a zoomed-in view). Four series have already marched their way into Round 2: Lie to Me, Brothers & Sisters, Parenthood, and Chuck (leaving No Ordinary Family, Harry’s Law, The Defenders, and Human Target in the dust).

And now you’ve got to decide between Nikita and The Event. Polls will be open for 72 hours, so do your civic duty, then hit the comments to justify your vote, and head to Facebook and Twitter to whip your fellow fanboys and fangirls into a frenzy. And to get alerted to all future “Renew Our Show” showdowns, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV. Now ready, set, vote!

1. John Berggren says:

I tried to like the Event. I’d say Nikita, but the more space for a Fringe move, the better ;)

2. beast says:

As much as I love the Event, it really feels like a one season thing! I’d say keep Nikita, it’s a great show as well.

3. DE says:

My vote is for “The Event” all the way!!

4. CC says:

The Event all the way!! This is a complex show like Lost! Give it a chance!

5. Mia says:

THE EVENT, it has captured me from the beginning, along with several of my friends. I don’t know when an hour has gone by so fast because I’ve been so caught up in watching something. I will be a loyal fan always, God forbid this show be canceled but if so I know several who will join me in a campaigne to bring it back. It would be a HUGE MISTAKE, the wonderful ride of The Event has just begun!!!!

6. Mia says:

Why is this even being talked about, common? The Event, The Event, The Event, The Event, The Event, The Event!!!!!

7. Lexi says:

Save Nikita cuz people love action and that’s what the show is. Great actors and story line.

8. Doug says:

Nikita has been really good, while the event has just been a waste of some decent actors

9. Justin says:

This is nonsense. There’s no way Nikita isn’t coming back. It’s doing well on The CW. I feel like this was posted just to scare me.

10. Srah says:

Ok for all those who have never watched Nikita..only the best reason that Nikita should last not only for 2 ,3 but 5 Seasons.The hottest pair ever on the CW with only the most Amazing Love Story.! Yeah Yeah MIKITA babay.!Nikita blows Event out of the water.!

11. Sabrina says:

Nikita. Again. Best Damn Show On Television.

12. Dee says:

The Event for sure.

13. Virginie says:

Nikita all the way! This show is absolutely awesome!

14. Chris Moore says:

KEEP THE EVENT! A LOT OF DIVERSITY, TALENT, PLOT YOU NAME IT!!

15. Nyoka Sanders says:

Please keep this show on. It’s right up there with fringe. It’s almost to the point you can’t invest your time in a show because you know there going to take it away. I will keep watching

16. Jared says:

If ‘Nikita’ doesn’t get renewed, it will be the worst decision of the end of 2010-2011 season. It really was the best new show of the season.

17. Tess says:

The Event is an on the edge of you seat action program. You have mystery conspiracy and a touch of scifi. What more could you ask for? There’s a new President with a corupted VP. An intellegence head that will do anything to protect his country. A group of people who may or may not be alien to the planet who want to take the planet over or take it back. There’s a man Dempsey who seems to be at the center of it all. Who is doing experiments on young girls causing them to age. We’ve also seen him become younger for a breif period after drinking a liquid. He appears to be able to manipulate time or events. I find the show very entertaining and it has only gotten better after the hiatus. I don’t know how anyone can watch the most recent preview and not want to know what comes next. it would be a shame to lose this show.
    preview

18. brown betty says:

absolutely Nikita!!!

19. Edrea says:

The Event deserves and needs another season. The Event is getting better and make one think. While going deeper down the rabbit hole of what could be and who else is out there. And I feel that given a second season…..will show how great it is and continue to be.

20. Anaya thomas says:

I luv The Event great storyline…ive never watched an episode of Nikita nor do i want 2 noone i know watches dat show soooo THE EVENT IS #1 ON MY LIST!!!! 4GET NIKITA!!!

21. Veronica says:

Nikita!!! This is a show I look forward to watching each week while The Event is no longer holding my attention…

22. Anaya thomas says:

Have u people lost ur minds??!! THE EVENT OFCOURSE!!! I LUV THIS SHOW IT HAS A GREAT STORYLINE&BLAIR UNDERWOOD IS THE SEXIEST MAN IN DA WORLD!!! GREAT ACTOR AS WELL.I NEVA WATCHED AN EPISODE OF NIKITA NOR DO I WANT TO

23. Jennifer says:

Nikita!!!!!!!! :-)

24. Wkin says:

THE EVENT please for Season 2 :-)
    Never watched Nikita, not interested in kickass girlie stuff.

25. Aliscia says:

Nikita I don’t like and Hope that it crashes and Burns.the Event however I enjoyed,more so because of Blair Underwood, I love it and hope it stays for.another season.

26. Fee says:

Nikita for sure!!! The Event was boring.

27. Jacob says:

The Event, to all of the people who don’t like to think while watching TV.

28. Mikitaalltgeway says:

Nikita all the way!!!!!!! I haven’t even heard of the event! It sounds stupid…so nikita forever

29. Hell says:

NIKITA! NIKITA! NIKITA!
    I like ‘The Event’, but I like ‘Nikita’ more. :)

30. Donna says:

Save Nikita! Maggie Q kicks serious a$$ every week. I would like to see what develops between Alex/Michael. Definitely bring this show back

31. mamy says:

Nikita!!!

32. Sherry Veasley says:

THE EVENT IS MUST SEE T.V. THEY BETTER NOT TAKE IT OFF THE AIR AND LEAVE US HANGIN!

33. Wendy D says:

I lOVE the EVENT!!! Keep it going! Blair and Ian, you rock!

34. Zara says:

Nikita DESERVES not just a second season but more seasons!! It is the hottest tv series right now! I am part of an Asia viewer; you dont know how huge Maggie’s fans are here in Asia! So please…keep the show going!!

35. Sam says:

Nikita is the choice.

Good actors and some interesting stories. i think they can make that show go somewhere!

Now the Event had too many premises. You were not sure which one went where and why!!! I think it is a show that tried to take on so much and the producers and writers realize this so they are cutting the flashbacks and making it a story about aliens! real inventive people

36. Martina says:

I Pick Nikita because it is definetively my favorite seriess
    NIKITA 4 EVER

37. Christina says:

Should this even be a question. Nikita easily!

38. Naudia says:

Nikita!!! Best show on TV!! LOVE LOVE LOVE it!! If you don’t watch–YOu should!!

39. Angela says:

NIKITA. It shows the most promise and it is the first show since 24 started airing that really keeps me on the edge of my seat and the heart pumping. NIKITA

40. martbryant says:

Nikita is the best show on tv new or existing with out a doubt

41. Clara says:

I’ve never really seen the Event, but Nikita all the way!
    I have never ever missed an episode yet and it just keeps getting better and better in my opinion.
    I’m really hoping the CW sees Nikita’s potential for a second season and beyond!

42. Rowena Glass says:

NIKITA!!!!!! the event sucks NIKITA IS AMAZING!!!!!! IF YOU GET RID OF IT I WILL DIE!!!!!!!! :O

43. Rowena Glass says:

NIKITA!!!!! I WILL KILL MYSELF IF YOU GET RID OF IT!!!!!!!! NIKITA IS AMAZING!!!!! and shane west isnt too shabby either :D

44. Rotoodles Glassy says:

NIKITA!!!! I WILL KILL MYSELF IF YOU GET RID OF IT !!!! I LLLOOOVVEEEEE IT!!!!!! and i think there should be more of shane west topless and Mikita

45. Kayla says:

My first reaction to seeing the Twitter post by Ausiello about this was, “The Event is still airing?”

46. Danielle says:

Definitely Nikita!!! The great cast, and exciting storyline makes it the best show on TV. It always keeps me on the edge of my seat, and no two episodes are the same. There’s lots of great action (stunts are well done) without getting too graphic in the killing. Nikita always keeps me wanting more. I don’t know a single person who’s watched it and not loved it!

47. DEAYAH "BLAIRI'ELLE MASSEY says:

DON’T TAKE THE EVENT OFF THE AIR.

48. Stephanie says:

NIKITA!!!

49. Kelly Wilson says:

Although I’ve never seen it, I vote Nikita since I want Jason Ritter to come back to Parenthood!

50. Ken says:

Nikita is derivatively boring. The Event is the show that has gotten better and better with each episode. Far and away it is The Event that should be renewed. I would renew it for two more seasons, with a definite end date at the end of season 3. I’ve stopped watching Nikita, and will not tune in if it’s back next year.