'Renew Our Show' Bracket Tourney Continues! Give a Second Season to Nikita or The Event

They were arguably the two hottest pilots of the fall 2010 TV season, but neither The CW’s Nikita or NBC’s The Event are locks for a second season. Which is exactly the reason we’ve put the two freshman series in hand-to-hand combat as part of the first annual “Renew Our Show!” Sweet 16 Bracket Tournament.

Why would we be so cruel and make you decide which one lives and which one dies? Well, ’tis the season when network execs decide which percolating pilots and which existing series will find a home on their 2011-2012 schedules. (If you’re worried about the status of anything currently on your DVR “series-recording” lineup, don’t miss our regularly updated Renewal Scorecard feature.) And that’s where our tournament comes in. “Renew Our Show!” features 16 existing series currently in on-the-bubble limbo; we left out the sure-fire pickups (like The Good Wife, Supernatural, and Bones) and those to which the Grim Reaper has already paid a visit.

Every weekday at 1 p.m. ET for the next two weeks, you’ll be able to vote in polls to help narrow down the field. Click here to see the entire bracket (then click again on the image for a zoomed-in view). Four series have already marched their way into Round 2: Lie to Me, Brothers & Sisters, Parenthood, and Chuck (leaving No Ordinary Family, Harry’s Law, The Defenders, and Human Target in the dust).

And now you’ve got to decide between Nikita and The Event. Polls will be open for 72 hours, so do your civic duty, then hit the comments to justify your vote, and head to Facebook and Twitter to whip your fellow fanboys and fangirls into a frenzy. And to get alerted to all future “Renew Our Show” showdowns, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV. Now ready, set, vote!

Comments (175)

• Nikita deserves a second season because the show keeps getting better and better. The Event has turned out to be an unfulfilled promise. Save Nikita!

Comment by Chatty – March 14, 2011 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same here.

Comment by seriesjunkie – March 14, 2011 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikita all the way. I had to stop watching The Event because it was SO boring.

Comment by Kelli C – March 14, 2011 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same here. The Event is nonsense.

Comment by Jones19 – March 14, 2011 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Event is a deep show, I will agree, you have to follow it but it’s far from being boring once you allow yourself to get into it. The thing is, you can’t be trying to watch it and doing other things, it’s one of those that missing any part could be missing something very detrimental to the events forthcoming. I will check out Nakita but you should give The Event another try. It’s an awesome series, I was really looking forward to it and I’m not disappointed so far. Yes, there are some twist & turns but that’s what makes it so special & different from the norm.

Comment by Sherrie – March 14, 2011 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “THE EVENT”is full of fast paced action. I find it RIVETING!!!

Comment by Alayne Leslie – March 14, 2011 10:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikita must be saved! It’s way to good to let go!

Comment by Helen Thomas – March 14, 2011 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve never seen an episode of The Event, but Nikita just keeps getting better. Give it another season, CW! Please :)

Comment by Lauren – March 14, 2011 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lauren, Do give “THE EVENT” a try. It is a TOP-NOTCH show.It is edge of your seat fast action, it has a very clever storyline, and, believe me, it keeps you watching! It was on hiatus for 3 months and we counted the days until it returned!

Comment by Alayne Leslie – March 14, 2011 10:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikita is definitely my pick. I wanted to like The Event, but it just wasn’t clicking for me. Nikita on the other hand has been a non-stop thrill ride. Maggie Q kicks MAJOR butt and Lindsey Forensca as Alex is a very intriguing character. I can’t wait for a new episode!

Comment by Mikaylah – March 14, 2011 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh my gosh same here. I tried to get into the event. I was honestly bored and this is surprising coming from me a TV addict.
      Nikita is the best with a cast like Shane West, Maggie Q, Melinda Clarke and Xander Berkely it has to be kept.
      I sit on the edge of seat in the episodes.
      Maggie Q’s fight sequences…I just love them!

Comment by Tyler – March 14, 2011 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please update the bracekt!

Comment by Mags – March 14, 2011 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikita all the way. Have never watched The Event.

Comment by Sabrina – March 14, 2011 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikita all the way! Its a show that just gets better and better with each episode and all of the characters are likeable in their own way

Also, Shane West needs to be on our screens as much as possible :P

Comment by Sammy – March 14, 2011 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes. I love me some Shane West! I want more of him…..possibly topless

Comment by Lauren – March 14, 2011 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Gotta say, i love both shows and want second seasons for both!

Comment by sean – March 14, 2011 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • nikkita all the way

Comment by lucheins – March 14, 2011 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NIKITA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by asd – March 14, 2011 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I haven’t seen any Nikita yet, but man.. I have watched every episode of The Event (hoping it will get better) but it is boring, poorly acted, and without any engaging characters we care about.

The story is also all over the place and unfocused.

So, I’m voting for a show I have not even seen yet: Nikita.

Comment by Jack – March 14, 2011 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have never seen nikita, but voting for it. Put Event out of its misery (& ours!) — Was hopeful and then disappointed after the 1st half-season of this Lost-wannabe.

Comment by ncmacasl – March 14, 2011 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know, such a Lost wanna-be-never-gonna-be. The Event is messy. For someone who has watched both. Nikita is awesome. People who don’t watch it should. The show’s only going to get better.

Nikita had me at the pilot.

Comment by Emily – March 14, 2011 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t get you guys sometimes – The Good Wife is a sure thing and Nikita is on the bubble? Nikita’s ratings are, relative to its network, of course, much better than TGW’s.

Comment by abc123 – March 14, 2011 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The EW..which is your sister website I think,has already updated their March table saying its a strong contender.So I dont see why this poll is even necessary??.What about those stupid-ass shows like GG and 90210 that have the worst ratings.Why are they not against eachother??.I think they are more likely to be cancelled than renewed.Ofcourse NIKITA All the way baby.!The Event looks like crap.!

Comment by LOL – March 14, 2011 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Nikita” is amazing! The best show on this crappy network.

Comment by Goku – March 14, 2011 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watched the first few episodes of The Event, and really wanted to like it, but it was just boring and slow. And then… it also got silly. Too bad. Nikita, OTOH, started off kind of slow, but has definitely been improving and finding its footing. It deserves to keep going. The Event deserves to… not.

Comment by KMG – March 14, 2011 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikita, no doubt about it. I still watch The Event, in the hope that it gets better, but it is worse than FlashForward was at this point last season.

Comment by Sourabh – March 14, 2011 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched the first six episodes of The Event because I’m a Jason Ritter fan. Unfortunately, the show was unable to hold my interest even though I feel I gave it a fair shot. Therefore, I voted for Nikita: a show I’ve been meaning to check out.

Comment by Andrea – March 14, 2011 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikita all they way!!! Nikita has been the biggest and most pleasant surprise of the season!! It really does keep getting better and better!

Comment by Monica F – March 14, 2011 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why aren’t the brackets pairing up shows from the same network? That seems to make more practical sense as they are the ones competing for a time-slot.

Comment by Ali – March 14, 2011 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Agreed. I wanted to like The Event. But I couldn’t bring myself to care about the main characters or their plight. Nikita all day, everyday.

Comment by Deion – March 14, 2011 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope to see GG and 90210 in your next poll.I do hope you know they are getting below 1.5 million viewers continously and poor poor demos.Nikita’s averages are high and therefore has more than a chance for a second season YES!Plz pair them up in your next post.Thank You.! And YES NIKITA IS THE BEST SHOW ON THIS SICK NETWORK CALLED CW.!

Comment by Elle – March 14, 2011 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love them both!

But if I had to choose one over the other, I would pick The Event. I look forward to every episode and enjoy each one fully. (I know, I know. I’m in the minority on that.)

Comment by brandy – March 14, 2011 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love The Event, too. The show slowed for me during the first batch of episodes, but I think it has started back well after the long hiatus. Things still have a chance to get back on track. I’m not giving up on it yet – so much promise with this show!

Comment by Marta – March 14, 2011 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck!! Renew Chuck!!

Comment by Lauren – March 14, 2011 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s an easy choice: Nikita.

Comment by John D – March 14, 2011 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to go with Nikita too! I watch both, but last weeks new episode of The Event is still sitting unwatched on my DVR.

Comment by cheri – March 14, 2011 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikita!!! Because Mikita is uber hot :)

Comment by Monica – March 14, 2011 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikita!!! Non stop action, great characters and actual answers to questions and the plot cracks along at a pace that makes other shows look lazy and slow in comparison! Already had two massive cliffhangers so far that lesser shows would have dragged on for a season finale….and Nikita and Alex and Amanda are way hard core.

Comment by Emma – March 14, 2011 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really want The Event to get renewed!!

Comment by Rachel – March 14, 2011 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Of course renew Nikita. It doesn’t even need to be thought about. Nikita has to be renewed. Maggie Q and Shane West are sexy hot amazing epic duo. They plots are just fantastic. Week after week I never miss an episode. I’m dying waiting for April 7th.

I had really thought CW was weak sauce before the show blasted onto the screen. I love Nikita. Nikita for Season 2. 150%

I started watching the Event..it’s so whatever. Aliens? Who cares. It’s not worth mentioning in my eyes. It’s no J.J Abram production. I would get it’s DVDs in the summer IF I was bored. But Nikita is the ONE, it’s the best! I am completely obsessed!

Comment by Katie – March 14, 2011 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NIKITA! Definitely! This show absolutely DESERVES a second season!

Comment by Kari – March 14, 2011 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know NIKITA is a reboot, but I like it, and I like its stars. It’s not perfect, but it’s entertaining. I watched THE EVENT up until its super-long hiatus, but while I was impressed by certain characters or scenes, it just isn’t priority. It’s like a less compelling version of (the short-lived) VANISHED melded with a little bit of V and various other shows. It was hyped SO much that you just KNEW it could’t possibly live up to the hype, but still it’s missing something. It’s like they’re trying to make all the main characters flawed and mysterious and unpredictable, but sometimes you need some stability when everything is chaotic; you’ve got to be able to attach to some of the characters long enough to care.

Comment by Cass – March 14, 2011 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NIKITA ALL THE EFFING WAY. It’s such an incredible show. Watched it since the premiere of it’s pilot. And it’s just gotten MORE EPIC AND MORE BADASS!!!

Plus, I need weekly doses of Maggie Q & Shane West (as Mikita) in my life!! NEED IT.

Comment by Rachel – March 14, 2011 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with everyone else! Definitely Nikita! Each episode is better than the one before, love seeing Shane West and Lindsy Fonseca on my screen every week, and the event was THE show I was looking forward to the most this season but got so disappointed I stopped watching! Oh and please CW kill One Tree Hill!! I keep watching out of habit and I wanna know how it ends but the writing got aweful, consequently the acting is not great, they have no storylines…Please put us all out of our misery!

Comment by seriesjunkie – March 14, 2011 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This “face-off” is laughable. The Event is dreck, and boring. Nikita is awesome… and exciting.

Comment by Joey Connick – March 14, 2011 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL,I agree atleast compare apples with apples.NIKITA and the Event?Are u kidding me?LOL Yeah.!

Comment by Elle – March 14, 2011 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • IM in a minority here but I say keep the event….never seen nikita so cant comment on it

Comment by ME – March 14, 2011 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I got bored of The Event after a few episodes so Nikita please!!! It keeps getting better and better!!!

Comment by Sarah – March 14, 2011 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NIKITA!!!! It’s such a good show, I watch it religiously!

Comment by Rina – March 14, 2011 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikita all the way, I love Josh Ritter, but The Event blows.

Comment by Jess – March 14, 2011 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NIKITA!

Comment by Wendy – March 14, 2011 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While I enjoy both (probably more Nikita than the Event) I had to go with the Event because I think Nikita is more likely to get renewed since it’s on a smaller network so I gotta support the underdog!

Comment by Gee – March 14, 2011 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikita is badass. I vote for it to get a season 2. Silverstein is doing an great job and the actors really bring it to life.

Comment by Izzie – March 14, 2011 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • nikita is different from the other cw shows , and CW admitted that too , so if cw is smart they should look at the ratings of this show and not it’s demos … because they chose somehing differet from their normal teenage shows … something darker and smarter .

Comment by lolo – March 14, 2011 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikita

Comment by Quackers – March 14, 2011 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikita!!

Comment by Ashley – March 14, 2011 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Absolutely Nikita!! Love the show!

Comment by Alberto – March 14, 2011 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Need we say more:

Nikita all the way.

Comment by Sabrina – March 14, 2011 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a joke. Nikita kicks ass. They should cancel the Event now and save money for Chuck.

Comment by Mike B – March 14, 2011 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know what The Event is. And I could go on and on about why Nikita should be renewed, but since I’ve already done that many, many times, I’m just gonna say ‘NIKITA all the way!’

Comment by Robin – March 14, 2011 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I voted for The Event because I have grown to really like it. Key word, GROWN. If it were not for my boyfriend’s insistence on watching it and my love for Jason Ritter I would have given up after the first 3 episodes.

I have never seen Nikita but due to the very lopsided voting here, I think I might be missing something worthwhile.

Comment by Aly – March 14, 2011 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lol, you are. Watch Nikita. It’s awesome. Seriously the best! I could list reasons but I’d be here forever.

Comment by Katie – March 14, 2011 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You bet! You should watch Maggie Q and Shane West kick butt and make out to each other!! Hahah..Ironic!

Comment by ZB – March 14, 2011 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post