Kristin Kreuk Clears the Air On Her Smallville Status: 'Lana's Story Is Done'

Smallville alum Kristin Kreuk apparently was met with a meteor storm of fan criticism after sharing her take on the CW show’s upcoming series finale — so much so that she decided to set the record straight on where she stands.

Speaking with Hollywoodlife.com at the Genie Awards last week, Kreuk said, “I probably won’t watch” the Smallville finale when it airs on May 13. “Maybe later on — like, on DVD or something.”

The actress’ honesty about not committing that Friday night to saying so long to the series she called home for seven years must have elicited some slings and arrows from the avid fandom. To fend off the online attacks — after all, she notes, “There are many people who are just waiting for me to say something that they can hate me for” — she posted some clarifications to her Facebook page.

“There is no personal reason why I am not watching Smallville weekly. Honestly, I never really did,” she shares. “I know people want to make it a drama … but there is really no drama.”

Kreuk’s love for Smallville must have also been called into question as it regards her MIA status from said series finale (whereas Michael Rosenbaum and Allison Mack are set to return as Lex and Chloe). About her absence, she says, “I do not believe there was ever a real offer for me to come back — though I am pretty sure that if I showed interest in returning, [showrunners] Kelly [Souders] and Brian [Peterson] would find a way to fit me in.”

Kreuk, though, steadfastly believes that Lana should not be shoehorned into a place she does not belong — and has said so in numerous interviews since leaving the series. (As she told me in early 2010, “The show has changed so much, it would be weird for [Lana] to come back. She was from a different Smallville time.”)

“I may be in the minority, but I thought Lana’s story ended well,” she says of her seven-year run, which was followed by a brief 2009 encore. “I liked that she gained inner strength and … had the courage to walk away from Clark, that her commitment to a greater good outweighed her very human desire to be with Clark. That she saw that her love for Clark would never diminish, even if they could not be in the same vicinity. And that if she did not do … the best she could for humanity, that would counter some of the very reasons she loved Clark in the first place.”

“I think her story is done,” she reiterated. “I am not sure how her coming back changes Clark’s story any longer. He has moved forward. As he was always supposed to do. As Lana would have wanted him to do.”

“I may be missing something,” Kreuk said in conclusion, “but those are my long-ass thoughts.”

Do you agree with Kreuk, that Lana returning for the Smallville finale would be incongruous at best? And were you surprised to see her red carpet comments draw such fire?

1. Asila says:

this is a bit random, but they look like they could be related…they have the same profile in that picture.

2. Nwachukwu Paul says:

I don’t see any reason why fans would hate Kristin,her role as Lana has long served it’s course and believe u may,that it wasn’t easy for her letting go but in a nutshell,her role,as Lana Lang is done. About not watching the finale,it’s her choice,it’s her life,i mean,if watching the series would make her shed tears or something,u know like,get all emotional,then please,let her be. Thumbs up,Kristin! Love and admire your courage

3. lironreeve says:

hell yeah, I agree with her.
    The Clark-Lois-Lana love triangle has run it’s last course in the 8th season.
    I have no personal feeling toword Kreuk, but I started to hate Lana at the start of the 7th season. She held him back

4. Carrie says:

I have nothing against Kristin Kreuk, but I was never a Lana fan, so it doesn’t bother me that she won’t be coming back, though I do think they should at least mention her before the show ends. I just don’t think it’s necessary for her to make an appearance because she did make a very final choice about what she wanted to do with her life in Season 8 and Clark has definitely moved on.

5. karen says:

LANA is DONE…

6. Ingmar says:

I agree with her. Her story is done and she deserves other jobs and responsibilities.

7. Michael says:

Please get the facts straight. No one ( with any sense, anyway ) is bashing Kristin for not watching the finale live. Hell, very few actors probably do that for a show they’re CURRENTLY in. It’s her physical reaction to the question, the one which made it look as though she’d been asked to recall the time she stepped in dog s**t, that fans have a problem with. I don’t feel that way but I can at least understand where they’re coming from.

• Kyen says:

And also lets get the facts here, KK has no wish to come back to the show whatsoever. Its funny how people on here and elsewhere are acting like she has been begging for the show to have her back. as if she wants to come back to the show desperately, please. “Oh we don’t want lana back, her story is done” blah blah, maybe you should ask Mr Tommy welling, Soulders & Peterson and all the other fat cats behind the scenes, to make it clear once and for all, and stop encouraging these rumours or whatever. Leave kristen in peace please, she has moved on, its a pity she keeps getting sucked back to create breaking news for smallville.

8. LX says:

I am glad Lana’s not coming back, loved her in the first couple of seasons. But her story line was dragged on too much. Her final years on the show actually made me hate the character. In the and her character’s sole purpose was to cause problems for Clark and hold him back. I’m glad shes not back, now if only I can forget she was ever in season 6 and 7.

9. Robert says:

I really wish she would come back, everyone else did its just not right kinda leaves a bad taste in the mouth, just how awsome would it be to see her and clark and lois together in the smae room, grown up and moved on and will still allways share that connection to one another and still love each other allways but its past and now its the future. . . the destiny. . .. Superman the Man of Steel Smallville is the best there is the best there was and the best there ever was!

But again she and the producers and evryone should want her and she should want to come back, even if it was a cameo. . . my goodness Tom Welling Superman wanted her to return too he said it at comic con and other news events with the same of Michael Reosenbaum and he is back and i have heard that Tom Welling is sacrificing his series finalle paychecks to help get Lex back and just to make the finale and SFX the best ever. I believe thats true because without Tom Welling there would be no SMALLVILLE and it would have never lasted as long at his has, its epic, icnic, legendary and juat an outstanding 10 season and longest SCFI/Superhero/Action/Drama show ever (SMALLVILLE)

10. Stanleylawrence says:

To me i think that lana’s part has been played so i dont see the reason that she should come back in the finale all thank’s to kk

11. Chris says:

I agree with Kristin. I loved the last episode she was in granted, but she should have stayed gone after the 7th season finale…that was a great exit…and while I enjoyed the final exit of Lana, it would have been nice if after a year or so we got a call or a glimpse from her or even Chloe saying that Lana’s power-suit was no longer active…and have Clark still chose Lois over Lana…because it seems like that was the only way to get them apart forever and it feels like Lois will always be 2nd to Lana now. But since they didn’t have that reference…keep her gone…no use in her with 5 episodes left…it is a different show.

12. Charity says:

I agree with her the role she played ened well. And not many actresses watch their movies.

13. eka s.diredja says:

I love clark kent and lana lang forever

14. Seon says:

IMO KK’s character was in a difficult situation since the very first episode.
    Smallville is the story of Clark Kent. And as we all know, CK’s wife is Lois. It’s a law of Superman-Comics and general knowledge even for not comic fans, like me.

For me it was clear since the pilot. CK and Lois will be together one day. So I’ve never seen the chemistry between Lana and Clark.

Additionally, remember her comeback in Season 8. A small glimmer of hope that finally Clark and Lois will start (see “Bride”). BAAAM – there’s Lana again – in probably the worst case scenario ever written on the show.

A lot of people can not differentiate the character from the actress. So who can blame her for not coming back. At least not me.

KK did her character very well, but in the end she never had a chance. It’s not her fault. Imagine what would happen to the show, if Clark marries Lana Lang. Massive storm of protest from Superman fans.

15. SnazzyO says:

I agree with KK:
    – Lana’s story is over and she had a good ending.
    – The show is so different under the new producers (IMO bringing her back would be yet another contrivance)

Unbelievable haterade drinking if fans have a hissy fit that she’ll watch on DVD vice a Friday night. I know I hate to watch all the commercials so I watch on DVR. It’s pretty common to watch things after the fact.

Good luck Kristen. I think you did very well on Chuck. I hope you get another good series going – especially one that allows you to show a little more snark and fun.

16. kathy says:

thank god she’s not coming back i don’t like her at all

17. SuzieQ says:

Kristin was the first person hired for the show “Smallville”…..she was on the show for 7 1/2 years…..she has FANS ALL OVER THE WORLD……..she DESERVES to have an appearance or cameo in the Smallville Finale. She deserves RESPECT……obviously the SV writers/producers didn’t care about her enough to pursue this. It is disrespectful, regardless who thinks her story is done. Lana Lang is STILL part of the Superman Story.

I can’t believe how people continue to HATE on KK……it is a sad commentary.

In all of this, it would be nice if TVLine would post something POSTITIVE about KK instead of an article used to incite some kind of “debate” among a very divided fanbase. But, of course, you all knew that.

18. Mike says:

Read the comics people! Not to go all nerd here, but Clark leaves Lana behind. Granted on the show he’s still in Smallville and it’s more like she’s leaving him behind, but I like the change in the myth as it were. Lana and Clark were never meant to end up together so Lana has no place on “Smallville”

19. bill says:

Kristin’s decision about not see the finale is absolutely logic.Besides she isn’t anymore to smallville.It is her personal decision if she gonna see it or not and even when she was at smallville maybe didnt see it at daily base,so don’t try to find opportunities to hate her.As for lana’s thing,personally i would love to see her one last time at smallville since she was the first actor of smallville.A possible way is,if lana could find a cure about the “kryptonite” that she absorbed,she could come back and help clark to fight the darkness,now that she has powers.She has right about these this “lana is from a different smallville time” but as we know smallville dont follow exactly the comics story line so…

20. Kelly says:

I agreed with her when she said Lana’s story and her impact on Clark was done. Liked her but don’t think her showing up would make much sense.

21. Bob says:

I don’t think she could be more blunt and real about what she said. Lana’s story is done. She never was a “watcher” of Smallville so why start now. She probably knows less about the shows history than most of the people who post here even though she was on it. Actors show up, read a few lines, leave. It’s always been that way. Not everyone in a show is a fan of their own show. Have you ever heard “Luke Skywalker” talk about the Star Wars movies? It’s as if he wasn’t even there. Not really sure what the big deal is.

22. David says:

The only way I could have seen her coming back was if Lois and Clark did indeed get married in the final episode and she shows up for the wedding… Says how happy she was for the 2 of them and then tell clark that he would always be in her heart before leaving – 5 minutes of screen time max just to say good bye and good luck… But in no way should she have had a major role….

If there is no wedding, then she shouldn’t be there at all. It will be hard enough giving everyone else screen time.

23. Amy says:

Wow, heaven forbid that someone have something better to do on their Friday night than watch Smallville. Good on KK for saying that.

24. jay says:

I commend her for doing what she believes is right for the show. Some other actors would get offended about not being in the finale. Good for her!!

25. AREM says:

lana was good for the show.I think it was the way the writters did her story lines that made fans not like her.I dont like who they have for lois lane.Shes a bad actor.Teri hatcher was the best lois.
    Looking forward to the last show.Hope we see some kind of spin offs where tom welling can come back to the superman role.His new show helcats is so stupid.SOrry tom.Youll always be clark to us smallville fans:)

• Kyen says:

And oh btw, media watchdogs, stop treating KSITE like is some smallville bible for godsake. Its hardly representative of the whole smallville fandom, the site is made up of comic clois book fans who want nothing but to bring down KK/lana…hannah whatever form they can get her.

Each time those online KSITE rabid fans cry “wolf”, all of you writers are there treating it like some big major crisis. Seriously some 100 plus fans out of millions of people who watch Smallville.

26. Liz says:

I agree completely with Kristin. Lana doesn’t need to come back. I’m sure there will be enough drama in the finale. To see Lana come back would only bring up painful memories and possibly make Lois feel self conscious again, which is not necessary. The idea of the finale should be about moving forward. Clark truly become Superman. Clark and Lois truly happy and supporting each other. I’m glad she’s not in the finale, it wouldn’t make sense. I loved her when she was on, but I love Lois even more. People should just leave Kristin alone.

27. nellycooke@hotmail.co.uk says:

In a commentery in Season 2 or 4, it was mentioned that KRISTIN watches Smallville all the time with her family!.

28. Michael says:

Lana played a role in Superman’s life post-Smallville in the comics so it wouldn’t be out of the ordinary to have KK back for the finale.

I see it both ways, however. Yes, in many ways Lana’s story is done; I would have liked to have seen a physical cure to the Kryptonite poisoning and have Clark and Lana go their separate ways for more personal/character-based reasons than a physical one.

Of course, not all actors watch their series. But I wonder if actors are aware how statements like “I don’t watch the show” come off to their loyal fans. If the actors aren’t invested in relationships among the characters then why should the fans be?

Many actors truly do care; others know how to fake it and pretend to be interested in the story.

KK’s probably just a little too honest for her own good.

29. jason says:

i don’t think i could care less… Clark was always supposed to end up with Lois anyway wasn’t he, so why should she come back now and eff with all that

30. Gregg says:

I agree with her for the most part in that it’s right for Lana to stay away. However I’m speculating the fans that are upset over this is not because they miss Lana it’s because they miss Kristen. It would have been nice to see her on the show one more time before it’s over. It would have been nice to see her and Alison have one last scene together w/o Tom. I’m 100% on board with the whole Clark has moved on thing. But the Chloe & Lana scene’s where some of my favorite.

31. Peter says:

This show died like 5 years ago and is walking dead for 3 years now!!!

This is a dead end Cloisers, this show has overstayed its welcome which is proven in ratings and KK/Lana Lang will not be another Lois pimper if she doesn’t want to .. get over yourselves and enjoy the rest of the show your constant crying shaped it to be .. a failure where guests pimp “certain” character instead of character growing up or him/her (yes her) actually deserving things rewarded.

This was supposed to be young and fresh story about Superman or Superboy you can say .. have justice, have a center in a heart of a watcher, grow up to him/her .. so that you could live a journey of a boy that was destined to become a Superhero with him. Feel like you are there with him .. not cry when it’s not coming straight from the comic book.

Smallville jumped the shark with this on many ocassions in later seasons and thus lost me as a viewer. Like everyone present in a knows who he is to become instead of him getting there on his own.

Same with the girl .. KK is not your slave people.. she is free to speak her mind just like you are and free to do what she wishes to do .. and her/and Lana’s REAL fans know it and accept it. Proper storytelling and proper character portrayal are more important to some people than just storylines being pulled up from somewhere, coming from someone and of course um well being pulled from something (you can replace it with whatever you want).

Smallville was a good show, had a great potencial .. but it lost it on the way towards its end and thus lost it’s dignity .. this ending will not be accepted by all nor your finger pointing at someone make it. I chose my ending on the way becouse it felt right to me, it’s my choice and no matter who you point fingers at and what you tell me will not make me change my mind.

People should listen to themself, their hearts and brains and not what someone tells them to or forces on them. It’s Smallville right now and it’s current fandom itself who betrayed Clark Kent/Superman and the way he fights for. (What happened to the American dream?)

A hero once known all over the world and his standarts were traded for nothin more than just a profit.

Judge yourself, what you are .. before you judge and throw dirt on someone else.

Kristin gave so much to Lana Lang’s character and Lana’s fans, I’m sure she would have give more if allowed to. On the other hand (nothing against Erica Durance – It’s not her fault she works for a crappy producers .. money is everything these days right?) when you look at what she add to Lois Lane .. umm well ..

Thus my Thanks to Kristin, it could have end up different with your character if they would not condemn Lana for god knows what reason but for what it’s worth THANK YOU. I understand.

Shows really need to focus on for who and for what they write for .. for world’s good and health of a men or plain dirty profit and those psychos I hear about in the news ..

Oh and Mitovich you need a life .. but I guess some people are born entertainment pimps.

God bless America.

Sincerely P.M.

32. SuzieQ says:

What I find so laughable and hypocritical are people saying “Lana’s story is done, etc.” yet……it is just fine that Jonathan Kent is BACK from the dead, Lionel Luthor is BACK from the dead, and essentially, Lex Luthor is BACK from the dead. All these characters have a place in the final episodes or finale. However, when Lana Lang is mentioned……NO, Lana is “done”, she has “No Place” in Smallville. It is silly to say that,……Lana Lang has been around for decades, yet, some here would indicate that she has no place anymore.
    Again, Kristin/Lana Lang DESERVES, as much as anyone to be remembered in this Series Finale……..in a POSITIVE way. It is a SAD reflection of the current writers/producers that she was NOT pursued the way Michael was. This will not be forgotten by Lana Lang fans…….Kelly and Brian should know this….the responsibility was all theirs!

• Facepalm says:

LOl you can just laugh at the hypocrisy, they don’t want lana back because ED/lois will just look like a joke in lana’s presence. It doesnt matter if KK has a small insignificant part to play in the finale, it will just ruin it for them. knowing she is there, knowing this is truly the woman clark loves, knowing that lois will never be comapre to lana. You look at early years smallville, and the difference in quality is massive.

Good for you KK, you did your part and you did it well, don’t allow yourself to be sucked back into this mess, like AM & MR have sold away their dignity and intergrity, for whatever Brian & kelly bribed them with.

33. Michael Rauser says:

I thought it would be really cool if Lana turned Evil as Lex Luthors wife. Back in season six they had a really cool arc with that, and at that moment she was a thousand times more interesting than she was in the entire series

34. CRIS says:

I’m very Kristin and Lana’s fan and I’m so impressed how Clois fans are crazy.. I think they lost the sense of reality! I don’t believe that they were disturbing KK in her facebook. They wants her give her bless about smallville and Lois’s character. I have to say thank for smallville have made me to hate Lois Lane’s character and now I know that Lana Lang is true love and the one ofr Clark and Superman. No matter what smallville writers makes in the end.

35. bill says:

SuzieQ i agree 100% with u.U are totally right.It’s UNFAIR not see Kristin Kreuk even with the way that her story finished.Dont forget that Kristin was the first actor of smallville,so why not see her at finale when she has a “useless” problem and she is still alive.Jonathan,Lionel dead, Lex maybe the same but all of them back.So it is only Kristin’s decision not see her back and not “Lana’s story is done” or something else.Besides we all know that smallville dont follow exactly the story line of comics.

36. robinepowell says:

If you’re going to be true the Superman storyline, then you have to have Clark be with Lois. End of story. In Smallville, Clark had these feelings for Lana for the longest time, but he’s obviously over them.

I agree with the Kristin, that the Lana storyline is done and she had a proper exit. Where would she fit in now? Lana has a Kryptonite body and physically cannot be within so many feet of Clark.

Why hate the actress because she’s giving her opinion? Clark has moved on and so has Lana. End of story. ;)

37. Kate says:

Lois and Clark’s fans don’t accept the fact that LOIS LANE IS THE SECOND CHOICE IN CLARK’S LIFE! Lana’s powersuit was the only way to get them apart forever and Clois fans don’t accept it. Lois the rebound girl!

• Mr E says:

Lana fans can’t accept how incredibly stupid the ending in Requiem was. Why the hell would 2 people who we are to believe love eachother so much give up as easily as they did. They didn’t even bother looking for a cure, they just took the word of one doctor for all we know could have been in cahoots with Lex before the moved on. Hell the very next episode Clark turned back time, he could have turned it a week or so more before the Lana incident and problem solved.

The idea that Lana did what she did for the “greater good” would have been better conveyed if they had them do it out of choice(like normal adults) rather then circumstance(ie the kryptonite suit). The forced tragic ending came across rather laughable and made both parties look like they are either to lazy(could care less looking for alternatives) or stupid to fix an easy problem(it’s not like the kryptonite suit forced them to not communicate with eachother)

• Mr E says:

I should point out I do think the show should have brought Lana back for a small cameo just to give her character a proper happy ending to her story, plus good closure to the whole Clana fiasco instead of the sad melodramatic way the producers decided to write her out

38. anita says:

As far as Lana coming back into the show I could not see it, it would cause nothing to her character and she feels happy where Lana ended so be it. I love the show now where it is going I regret the End. but I must say that show made lana a star for seven yrs I would expect her to show some interest in her friend,s the cast that is or fans but no she feels no interest so be it, bye lana

39. Bobby says:

I think the character Lana Lang should be seen briefly looking up into the sky as Superman flies all over the world. That would be cool. Not even Kristen. If she’s not available, then maybe a body double with a photo of Clark and Lana from high school Spring formal.

40. Supes says:

All I’ve gotta say is…GREAT NEWS that she wont’ be a part of the FINALE.

Lana’s time on Smallville ended a while back, and truth be told it should have ended after S4-S5.

Anyone attacking KK with nasty comments…remember to direct your venom towards the real problem…the creative team of Al Gough and Miles Millar and Co who kept giving Lana crap story lines and dragging the character through the mud. On top there was Al’s hideous and inappropriate crush on KK that has been well documented.

So any “hate” should be directed at 1. the smallville creative team (back then) and 2. the CHARACTER…many confuse KK with Lana but remember one is a FICTIONAL TV show CHARACTER the other a REAL PERSON deserving of respect and admiration for putting up with mediocre SV writing for years…

41. EB says:

I really didnt like Lana. She was always holding Clark back and she was really whiny. She was the damsel in distress. He had to save her all the time. They ended her story badly but they didnt really end it. Shes not coming back. That could be a bad thing because they need to have the final goodbye and Lois needs to know that Clark didnt choose her as a last resort

42. Gage Taylor says:

We don’t hate Kristin Kreuk for not coming back for the series finale, I just hope she knows how much us fans would just enjoy seeing her with some of the other former regulars one last time. I don’t care if it doesn’t contribute to Clark’s arc. It would just be nice to see Lana one last time. She was one of my favorite characters besides Chloe. That’s all fans are saying. We don’t want to leave this show, and if we have to, we at least want most of those who made it special in the first place to be a part of the end.

43. raelee514 says:

I agree with and think it’s ridiculous that people went all rabid because she said she wasn’t going to sit down and watch the finale, oy, LOL.

44. Tasha says:

I totally agree with her. Lana’s Story is done there is no need to bring her back.

45. JJ says:

I loved Kristin Kreuk on Smallville but the truth is that Lana and Clark’s relationship in the comic has always been nothing more than puppy love. I agree that while they made the love story between Clark and Lana on Smallville much bigger than it ever was in the comics, her story on the show is done. She can’t get near him because she’s Kryptonite infected and would kill Clark. As far as the actress is concerned, she would not be the only person on a show that doesn’t watch her own show. Marina Sirtis of Star Trek TNG confessed that she won’t even bother watching an episode that doesn’t have her in it.

46. bill says:

“There is no need Kristin comes back”Why the same phrase all the time?We (her fans) dont want her neither to be together with clark because we all know that always lois was for clark or for something else.We just want to see her at the finale for one last time(she was the first actor of smallville),so we can say “goodbye” to her and the whole team of smallville and not the half.I think we all want to see the whole team of smallville together for one last time before their last “goodbye”.As for her suit,a cure would be a simple answer or something else i dont know.There are many opinions but all are pointless if Kristin doesnt want come back.So let the time show us…

47. Mstrmike says:

Radical idea here. Bring back Kreuk and let everyone else go. It might be less painful than the death march to the finale. “No Flights, no tights” was all well and good in the beginning, but “No Plot, then what?” is the way it seems to be ending.

48. kyen says:

Some f******* clois fans are mad that KK don’t watch the crapville. First you “forced” her out of the show with your hatemail, wanted her to have nothing to do with SV, now you are going to force her to watch this s***. Oh yeah you want her to watch clark & lois making guggly eyes at each other, kissing and banging each other like rabbits on heat learn to sperate fiction from reality.

You never seem to amaze me with your idiocy, clois fanatics.

49. CAMILA says:

yo siempre he visto esta serie desde la primera temporada, pero en verdad me gustaba mas cuando estaba lana,loise no me gusta, pienso que cambio de rumbo esta historia. por ello perdi un poco el interes en esta serie

50. Michael says:

I agree with what the majority of people are saying. Lana’s story was done at the end of season 7 and it should have been left that way. Giving her a powersuit was as dumb as casting topher grace as venom in spider-man 3. lana’s return in season 8 should have been nothing more than clark realizing for himself that while lana will always love him, that they don’t work together and lois can be there for him in more ways than lana.