Blind Item: Fave Character Going Six Feet Under

Get More: Blind Item, Scoop, Spoilers

I’ve seen the future, and there are a lot of very unhappy people.

Multiple sources are confirming that a wildly popular character on an hour drama that has long been an Aushole staple is about to take his/her last breath.

I’m told the producers of this unnamed broadcast series are planning to kill off the fan favorite either in the season finale or soon after the show returns next season.

It’s not clear if the decision was made for creative or budgetary reasons — it was likely a combination of both — but it’s my understanding that it was not arrived at lightly. Far from it, in fact.

There’s also a chance the execs at the program in question will have a last-minute change of heart, but, according my spies, it’s an extremely slim one.

Which show is putting a hit out on one of its MVPs — and whose name is on the toe tag? The comments section is open for business!

Comments (718)

• I really hope it’s Jeff Probst on Survivor.

Comment by Akash – March 14, 2011 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watch for H/C/W. They can’t do anything to House but if they touch Wilson or Cuddy I’d be done with the show. I could care less what neat, new “exploration” they want to do without them. It would be like losing a loved one. I couldn’t watch House with Cuddy without Wilson, or House with Wilson without Cuddy. I’d have to say good-bye.

Comment by Michelle Jensen – March 14, 2011 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This so.f’n.much. House+Cuddy+Wilson are the best. I couldn’t bear to watch one of them die. And after it was done it would be too empty without them. I never thought I’d stop watching the show but that would definitely do it for me.

Comment by Olivia – March 14, 2011 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I watch for OT3. If any of them left I would be so over HOUSE. Any of them.

Comment by Julie – March 14, 2011 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Huh I never thought about them doing that because they’re so cool but yeah, I hear ya. I wouldn’t stick around afterwards.

Comment by Eric – March 14, 2011 10:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m guessing Ziva or someone from NCIS. I hope I’m wrong!

Comment by Lindsey – March 14, 2011 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Better not be anybody on NCIS. That’s all I’m saying.

Comment by Renee – March 14, 2011 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m worried that it could be Sweets on Bones, but reading carefully doesn’t really fit. He’s a popular character, yes, but I doubt “wildly” so, and I don’t think that his coming back next season could be that expensive (Ausiello writes of budgetary reasons).
    Also, storywise his demise makes sense only linked with the sniper storyline, and the last episode about that should be the one before the finale.
    Anyway, I’m keeping my fingers crossed! ;)

Comment by Clare – March 14, 2011 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I vote for Meredith Grey on Grey’s Anatomy!

Comment by Craig – March 14, 2011 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, seeing as it’s an hour long drama on “broadcast” television, and going by what it said in the article about the death maybe being in the next season, I looked at the renewal scorecard, and there are only four hour long dramas that are “officially” renewed. Not saying that it is one of these, but logically speaking…

Castle
      Grey’s Anatomy
      Private Practice
      NCIS

Comment by blackraven – March 14, 2011 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My guess is Naomi from Private Practice.

Comment by kelley – March 14, 2011 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damon Salvatore–Ian Somerhalder from Vampire Diaries.

Comment by audrey – March 14, 2011 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ive stuck through HOUSE, MD through thick and thin, had bad times and good times. Great show. But I agree with others here that getting rid of Cuddy or Wilson is the one thing that I wouldnt stick through. Sorry.

Comment by Pete – March 14, 2011 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sarah from Brothers and Sisters. Rachel Griffiths is on a drama and was a character on Six Feet Under.

Comment by ryan – March 14, 2011 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Because of the long time favorite comment, it’s scaring me that it might be Grey’s. Nothing has been said about anyone leaving the show, even with the Callie/Arizona/Mark/baby drama – remember, Mer & Der are fulfilling their contracts through season 8 and Callie/Arizona are going to end up “together forever” and they haven’t made it to that point yet- so it wouldn’t be any of them. Plus good Lord we’ve lost enough characters off Grey’s over the last 2 seasons!! However, Naomi from Private Practice has said she’s leaving….but said she would come back for guest appearances. They have had a history of killing off characters, so maybe its PP.

Comment by Karen – March 14, 2011 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Besides Peter Krause, who else starred in Six Feet Under, that currently is in a primetime drama… Brothers & Sisters anyone??

Comment by b-fazio – March 14, 2011 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m keeping my fingers crossed it’s Ziva from NCIS… what a terrible drag her character has been to the character development of all the major players, and to the show on the whole with the pandering preponderance to the Tiva cr@p.

I’m sure Cote will be able to find work on the stage, which she’s talked about quite frequently as of late, or another show, what with NCIS under her belt.

Comment by Blix – March 14, 2011 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve read like 10 comments of you saying the same thing whenever Ziva is mentioned. STFU already.

Comment by Kay – March 14, 2011 09:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Aren’t you forgetting someone? If you hate Tiva so much then they should get rid of Tony as well considering that he is the “T” in Tiva. I can’t stand people who can’t tell the difference between Tony, Ziva, and Tiva. Not every Ziva fan is a Tiva fan. Ziva is not Tiva.

And, if anything, killing Ziva off would just make Tony and the rest of the team all depressed and they will spend a lot of time mourning for her.

Comment by Sam – March 17, 2011 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually Tiva is mostly comprised of Ziva with tony around more as arm candy than any real purpose. One has only to watch their scenes together to notice that neither comes at the scene from the same angle. CdP is (or was at one time) obviously very pro-tive & MW was very against it.
        Add to that the idea that Tiva fans are mostly Ziva fans & you basically have a pairing of one. Hopefully they’ll kill Ziva off & NCIS will lose the albatross around its neck

Comment by ana – March 17, 2011 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Fail… that is not Tiva at all… CdP loves the idea of Tiva but she is more amused by it then liking it, MW wants it to be Zony… And besides… Ziva is not popular on here and neither is NCIS; this is so not about NCIS

Comment by Nici – March 29, 2011 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really hoping it’s not Peter from Fringe. With the whole doomsday machine and the introduction of our universe’s Lincoln they could be setting it up for Joshua Jackson’s exit from the show. Plus they have said there are other universes aside from the red and blue so they could bring him back down the line if they want. Really hope it isn’t Peter though!!!

Comment by Isabel – March 14, 2011 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wildly Long = Wisteria Lane
    Broadcast = Cast made up of women
    Desperate Housewives character
    Carlos Solis is played by Ricardo Chavira who played Ramon on Six Feet Under!

Comment by Rach – March 14, 2011 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • WOW. this is an awesome and well researched guess that i didn’t even consider. i actua;lly hope you’re right just because of your fantastically thought out sleuthing!

Comment by JD – March 15, 2011 07:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone on any other show as long as it isn’t Ziva. Ziva has been my favorite character since she first appeared 6 yrs ago. Love NCIS but couldn’t watch it if she was gone. It would be too painful.

Comment by Barb – March 14, 2011 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would hope that Hugh would weigh in and ask that they didn’t do that to Robert or Lisa. I know he tries to let them do what they do but to let them do that to his “friends”–And what about the writers? I would hope they were better people than to get rid of Robert or Lisa for a plot line. I can see them being excited to see what the show would be like without Wilson or Cuddy, but that’s not what it would come across as to fans. The reasons wouldn’t matter because Cuddy or Wilson would be gone. That’s all the fans would know. I am so with everyone who says they would leave. I would too and not even think twice.

Comment by Odes – March 14, 2011 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • On a selfish level I would love for it to be Callie from Grey’s. If so, it would free me from it.

Comment by Cathy – March 14, 2011 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh gosh, I hope it’s not Ziva from NCIS! Cote de Pablo hasn’t renewed her contract yet as far as we know :/

Or hope it’s not anyone from Bones either.

Comment by AngelMoonGirl – March 14, 2011 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely could be Ziva from “NCIS” – she’s quite popular with her fans and at the end of her current contract.

Or maybe Calleigh from “CSI: Miami”? It’s been a while (last season) since I’ve watched it but I think she’s quite well liked by fans.

Comment by Joni – March 14, 2011 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Kindly take your Ziva hate and your spiteful cronies back to your little IMDB enclave, Navy, where nobody reads you. Thank you.

Comment by Rihannon – March 15, 2011 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m not sure why you felt it necessary to go on a personal attack but so be it.

God Bless You and have a good day.

Comment by Joni – March 16, 2011 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m not sure why you chose to go on a personal attack, but so be it.

No, I don’t care for Ziva though I once liked her quite a lot (Seasons 3-most of 6). I was simply commenting that she fits the criteria laid forth by Ausiello.

I also guessed Calleigh from “CSI: Miami”.

Comment by Joni – March 16, 2011 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • wow….just a *bit* uncalled for….but hey…guess that’s what happens when someone isn’t fawning all over Ziva….(crossing fingers that the character dies by the end of the season)

Comment by as524 – March 16, 2011 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Apologies for 2 (now 3) posts. When I didn’t see original after a few minutes (and refreshing screen) I commented again.

Comment by Joni – March 16, 2011 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So I’ve been reading some spoilers and they are casting a new female FBI agent for fringe for the last couple of episodes and recurrig next season (if there is one) could this blind item be about Olivia? She’s the main part of the show so could they get rid of her and still have the show survive?

Comment by Sadie – March 14, 2011 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • glee kurts dad.

Comment by lex – March 14, 2011 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Could ‘wildly’ be a clue?? It seems an interesting choice of phrase…

Comment by Rachel – March 14, 2011 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope it’s not someone from House but I’m not even sure the series has been picked up for another season has it?

If it is someone from House.. I honestly couldn’t choose. I’m a major Wilson fan and since they mentioned “budgetary” I’m not thinking they’d Choose RSL bc he’s hardly there. He’s there for a scene or two and then he’s done. Granted, that doesn’t mean he doesn’t get a big paycheck for it.

While I HATED Huddy, I don’t want Cuddy to go. I think she could get by with a more minor role the show but still be one of the three that make the show (Cuddy,House & Wilson).

I think the show needs to refocus on what it used to be about – medical mysteries with hints of humanity. This season it’s been the complete opposite and I’m not a fan.

Comment by MLM – March 14, 2011 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After reading the comments now I am scared Derek on GA is going to die! I really hope its not him :(

Comment by Stacey – March 14, 2011 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think its greys but not Derek. I think its Cristina.

Comment by Jesse – March 14, 2011 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Patrick Dempsey and Grey’s.

I just have a feeling.

Comment by Abre – March 14, 2011 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I say either Chuck or Vanessa from Gossip Girl. One stated that they’re ready to move on from the show & the other has absolutely no story plot to tie her to the main characters.

Comment by Whoa Now... – March 14, 2011 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It says network show. Dexter isn’t a network show.

Comment by LaLa – March 14, 2011 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Derek Shepherd.

Comment by Caitlan – March 14, 2011 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think everyone knows that 13 from House is not going to be on after the finale, so I don’t think that was it. JMO, I am not sure who it is, but I will venture a guess and say it is a character from Law & Order SVU, that is one of the favorites, right? OR someone from Greys, that would make sense if it didn’t go over with this person. OH Wait, what about NCIS, is that one of the Favorites? I am new here so I really am not sure, but NCIS, don’t think anyone from NCIS LA is done yet, the show is still new. I am going to stick with NCIS or L&O SVU. Thats my guess. Again new here so I don’t know who is an “Aushole facorite” yet.

Comment by blondie72697 – March 14, 2011 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Question: do “blind items” ever get clarified? Like once the mentioned episode airs, do you come back and update your posts, Aus?

Comment by Farrah – March 14, 2011 09:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If what Ausiello says comes to pass then yes it gets clarified because it happens.

If you don’t watch the show were his blind items happen then I guess you’d (we’d) just have to read entertainment sites to find out if any characters were “offed”.

Comment by NoChance – March 14, 2011 09:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love House. I’ll stick with it through anything. Anything except losing Wilson or Cuddy. Wouldn’t be worth it to me without them.

Comment by Sandy – March 14, 2011 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’s Justin or Sarah on Brothers & Sisters. I’ve had this sense of impending doom for Justin all season. And Sarah is seen less and less often this season.

Comment by boidiva02 – March 14, 2011 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Greg on CSI?
    Wilson on House?
    Chuck or Dan on Gossip Girl?

Comment by Ruth O'Brien – March 14, 2011 09:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I keep going back to the words “Wildly Popular” and “Beloved” and “a lot of unhappy people”.
    To me that indicates a very popular show with the ratings to go with it.
    If not “NCIS” then at least a show in the top 5 of scripted programs.

Comment by NoChance – March 14, 2011 09:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “His/her” reminds me of how Lisa Edelstein played a transgender woman on Ally McBeal.

Comment by Rob J. – March 14, 2011 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Benson on L&O:SVU? Ausiello posts a lot on SVU, it’s been on 12 seasons, will likely come back in the fall since it’s NBC’s highest rated drama, and lots of people like her. I know I do, and I would be sad if I am right. *sigh*

Comment by nooch – March 14, 2011 10:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as it isn’t WILSON, I don’t care who it is.

Comment by Grace – March 14, 2011 10:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cuddy/Wilson have been on the show, House, for six going on seven years. It’s not the same as when the show was new. They’re a big part of what the show is. Not everyone watches just for House. I watch for H/C/W. If one is gotten rid of I wouldn’t hesitate to go. I’d hate to but House wouldn’t be as enjoyable without them.

Comment by Michaela – March 14, 2011 10:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d hate to see her go, but I could picture Sara going on Chuck. I can see it now… Sara and Chuck finally get married and then she is gunned down in her wedding dress in the season finale. If NBC renews Chuck, this could push him over the top to being an agent not afraid to pull the trigger. If this is the series finale, then it would be the sad send-off like the last MASH.

Comment by Kevin – March 14, 2011 10:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bye bye Sarah Walker?

Comment by deedeedragons – March 14, 2011 10:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Could be Tony or Ziva from NCIS, or Cuddy or Wilson from House.

Comment by Dopple – March 14, 2011 11:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Or maybe Catherine Willows in CSI?

Comment by Dopple – March 14, 2011 11:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ausiello talked about possibly making him/her die at the beginning of next season. Except NCIS, what show is certain/likely to be renewed?

Comment by Dopple – March 14, 2011 11:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Has anyone suggested Tony DiNozzo yet? … I went through like 3 pages of comments and then stopped reading … no-one seemed to think it was him … maybe nobody sees him as being all that popular?!
    Anyway, I think it could be him, even if they said Michael Weatherly has signed on for next season, it could still be him. Creatively I think they’ve reached a dead-end with the character, they’ve sadly restricted him to being the class clown … they’ve been exploring his character more and more recently and I think it will culminate in it’s death. And even though Tony is my favorite character on the show, I think it’ll be a great twist, a good dramatic shake-up of the show, and a good opportunity for Michael.

Comment by Sulaf – March 14, 2011 11:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I just did (the post before you) and yes, he’s a possibility ,no doubt. Among others, but still.

Comment by Dopple – March 14, 2011 11:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It won’t be Tony. Weatherly has talked repeatedly about how he’ll stay with the show forever, and he’s just directed an episode. He signed a new contract recently.

They wouldn’t kill him as he’s a unique talent and lifts NCIS from being just another procedural by providing a lot of the comedy. He’s a big part of the show’s success and has been with it since the pilot.

Granted, they’ve written Tony really badly for the past 2 seasons, and the class clown thing is beyond annoying, but they’ve shown that they’re aware that the fans are upset and angry about that and for the past few episodes there are signs that they are addressing what they did to the character and trying to redeem him. Weatherly certainly seems onboard with this and happy about it judging from all his recent comments in interviews and the way he interpreted the character in One Last Score, the episode he directed.

If it’s anyone from NCIS it’ll be Ziva. Rocky might want to leave but he doesn’t fit the “wildly popular” tag. De Pablo’s contract is up for renewal, and she could possibly be asking for too much, as well as the fact that she’s controversial within the fandom with as many people hating Ziva as loving her.

I don’t think it would affect the ratings at all if she left. Her fans like to believe that she is the main reason they are so high, but the truth is the show hit syndication and took off and now everyone is so familiar and comfortable with it, and it’s an undemanding hour’s TV that the whole family can watch. Older people are attracted to the relative lack of sex and violence on the show. They show wasn’t affected with Kate was killed – people watch for the ensemble and for Mark Harmon. They’ve done every aspect of Ziva’s story to death and a lot of the fanbase are bored with her and her Mossad plotlines, and there is a huge amount of exasperation with “Tiva”.

It could well be also that de Pablo wants to springboard into something else while NCIS is still sitting high in the ratings – she goes from a position of strength. And she strikes me as an ambitious woman who might not want to stick with the same show for years on end during the prime of her career. She has spoken about wanting to do theater and sing – and if she wants to make it in the movies she’ll need to do it sooner rather than later as actresses don’t have a long shelf life in Hollywood and she’s already in her early thirties.

I hope Ziva does go, and that there’s the minimum of angst about it. I would like Tony to be free to develop as a character without Tiva getting in the way. I think he still has the most potential of all the cast and the relationship between him and Gibbs is the most interesting one on the show.

Comment by Tarabeth – March 15, 2011 01:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • After reading your post, and the blind item again, Tony is all the more a possible casuality. And it has nothing to do with preference.

Comment by Nolan – March 15, 2011 07:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • LOL! Dream on! Ziva’s toast.

Comment by Tarabeth – March 15, 2011 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have a feeling it’s Serena Van Der Woodsen from Gossip Girl; I think Ausiello is being sarcastic by how “wildly” popular the show most likely is.

Comment by Master_K – March 14, 2011 11:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have read rumors of a GLEE death at regionals and Kurt and Blaine at a funeral and with Burt’s heart issue I think it is bye bye Mike O’Malley on Glee

Comment by Emily – March 15, 2011 01:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Perhaps this is in relationship to the story that Marg Helgenberger was only going to be on a couple of CSI episodes next year or leave at the end of this season.

Comment by Andy – March 15, 2011 02:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post