Blind Item: Fave Character Going Six Feet Under

Get More: Blind Item, Scoop, Spoilers

I’ve seen the future, and there are a lot of very unhappy people.

Multiple sources are confirming that a wildly popular character on an hour drama that has long been an Aushole staple is about to take his/her last breath.

I’m told the producers of this unnamed broadcast series are planning to kill off the fan favorite either in the season finale or soon after the show returns next season.

It’s not clear if the decision was made for creative or budgetary reasons — it was likely a combination of both — but it’s my understanding that it was not arrived at lightly. Far from it, in fact.

There’s also a chance the execs at the program in question will have a last-minute change of heart, but, according my spies, it’s an extremely slim one.

Which show is putting a hit out on one of its MVPs — and whose name is on the toe tag? The comments section is open for business!

Comments (718)

• It better not be Callie or Arizona!!

Comment by Becca – March 14, 2011 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s not Callie, relax. No Arizona either. They will be in trouble in the musical episode with the baby but that’s it. Actresses both have contracts for next season.

Comment by Ingmar – March 14, 2011 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Desperate Housewives anyone?? I don’t like Reneé that much, she is to much of a Edie-wannabe…

Comment by Linda – March 14, 2011 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please don’t let it be anyone from NCIS! PLEASE!!!!!

Comment by JDorse – March 14, 2011 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rachel Griffiths? Brothers and Sisters?

Comment by Andria – March 14, 2011 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Charlie Sheen!

Comment by Quinnin – March 14, 2011 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think it will be Sweets on Bones as John Francis Daley just wrote an episode, which they would have paid him extra for. However, Bones has never killed off a regular character. That’s rare in 6 years.
    Fern – Bones IS a hit show. Have you not seen the ratings/ fan hype?

Comment by Erin – March 14, 2011 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have a few guesses actually. It could be Sweets from Bones, by that sniper dude. Despite what other people think I consider Bones a hit show with weekly 3.0 or higher ratings. Plus it is in its 6th season. Or it could be Thirteen for House. I dont see the show kill off Lisa Edelstein. Thirteen is despite what other people think, a fan favorite. Option 3…well I don’t realy have a big option 3. I heard absolutely no rumors about a major death in grey’s and everyone is happy with the show, so I dont see them kill of someone. Gossip Girl…dont see it happening. Might be a small chance it would be Eric, but I dont think hes a big major death and a fan favorite. I like him but…..No Desperate Housewive will die either for sure. My guess its Sweets or Thirteen. If its someone else I wouldnt see it coming or the hints wont match.

Comment by Ingmar – March 14, 2011 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thinking it’s Cuddy on House. I get why you guys are saying Olivia Wilde because of the “wildly” reference, but 13 isn’t a “wildly popular” character, nor were the producers expecting her back for any central storylines so her release wouldn’t be for budgetary reasons. I’m reasonably certain that the 8th season of House will be its last, and Cuddy’s death is a great way to have House spiral out of control in any number of ways… I suppose the same could be said for a Wilson death, but RSL doesn’t seem to have the same ‘rabid’ core fan base that LE does (going back to the “wildly popular” reference), and it makes sense given the current direction of the story.

Comment by Carmen – March 14, 2011 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I doubt the show in question is Supernatural.First, it hasn’t been officially renewed yet and secondly I wouldn’t consider it an Aushole staple.
    However if it is, I would hate for it to be Castiel. Even though Misha Collins has been criminally under used this season (and I wouldn’t blame him if he bolted from the show), I love his interaction with Jensen Ackles and would miss that terribly.

Comment by Donna – March 14, 2011 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • omg tell me its not sarah on brothers and sisters!

Comment by emily – March 14, 2011 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’s Wilson or Thirteen from House. Or Castiel or Bobby from Supernatural (though, I don’t think it’s a hit show).

If it’s Wilson, I will no longer watch House D:

Comment by natasha – March 14, 2011 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please don’t let it be Robert Sean Leonard’s character on ‘House’. Wilson is my favorite! I’m thinking Thirteen. It would make sense, though her Huntington’s would have to be apparent upon her return later this season and frankly she’s way too young.

Comment by Kristen – March 14, 2011 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOT Cuddy and NOT Wilson on House. Of course it will not be House!

Comment by Sun – March 14, 2011 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • x 2. Cuddy & Wilson are my favorites. I can’t watch the show anymore without them. It just wouldn’t be the same.

Comment by Sierra – March 14, 2011 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • a lot of people love those two. i do too. they could kill one of them off and it certainly would be nicely dramatic for the moment but after it’s over then there’s no reason for me to watch anymore. they add something none of the other characters on the show do and i’m sorry, but there’s things that once you do it you can’t take back. killing one of them off is one of those things. and in the aftermath there’s no way they wouldn’t lose a ton of viewers. unless they are seriously disconnectd with their fans they should know this.

Comment by Dave – March 14, 2011 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • @ Dave: You’re completely right. Nothing personal, but I wouldn’t want to watch the show anymore.

Comment by Kate – March 14, 2011 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same here. No Cuddy or Wilson, no House for me. I know it’s nothing personal towards us fans for them to kill one of them off. It’s also nothing personal from me to them if I leave. And that would do it. None of us watch for charity, we watch because we love the procedural or the characters. I can live without a lot of them if I had to, but they get rid of either of those two and the show and I will have to part ways.

Comment by Hanna – March 14, 2011 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I watch for Wilson and Cuddy. House, the show and the character, is good but not without those two. I couldn’t watch anymore. It’s as simple as that.

Comment by Jerri – March 14, 2011 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Viewers no watch for Cuddy or Wilson.
        If they kill them, ratings no change.

Comment by Sonia – March 20, 2011 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kalinda on The Good Wife? Her demise would not be well received.

Comment by Wendy – March 14, 2011 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No. Ausiello stated it would be a show that has been on the air for several years. TGW is only in its second year. Has to be someone from either Bones,House,Grey’s or Brothers & Sisters.

Comment by ingmar – March 15, 2011 02:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as it isn’t Cuddy, I don’t care.

Comment by Karla – March 14, 2011 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too bad Teddy on Grey’s isn’t popular. I’d love it if she bit the dust.

Comment by kiki – March 14, 2011 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about callie???
    I think if its cuddy then house will spiral… Which would make a nice season 8. Olivia will be in season 8. She filmed most of her movies for now. I just wish this blind item will go for eye surgery soon so we can all see the light!!!

Comment by ss – March 14, 2011 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NCIS has a serial killer arc closing out the season, Cote de Pablo’s contrat is up.

As long as it’s Ziva, I’m okay with that.

If it’s Tony, Abby, McGee, Palmer or Ducky, then I can guarantee that NCIS will no longer be the number 1 scripted drama. It will crash and burn.

Comment by Snoopmarymar – March 14, 2011 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m keeping my fingers crossed that Ziva is the one to go, but really… killing off ANOTHER female cast member? NCIS has done that schtick twice already… getting rather old and tired.

Comment by Blix – March 14, 2011 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Writing unbelievably bad women characters is getting even older. Kill Ziva off so there’s no chance of her being brought back in the future for some stunt episode or other. I’d *love* it to be Ziva and since CdP is the only one who hasn’t signed a contract yet, she’s the logical choice. Given that everyone else got raises, too, getting rid of her would count toward the budgetary reason alluded to. But Ziva’s hardly “wildly popular” as she comes in, at best, third to last in terms of popularity. Here’s hoping he’s talking about “wildly popular” with *him*. :-)

Comment by tejas – March 14, 2011 08:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Ahhh… you again… no comment anymore… you think that just because you Anti’s don’t like Ziva it means everyone else doesn’t love her… get over yourself please before one of your beloved characters are killed off or god forbid the inevitable Tiva happens

Comment by Anni – March 29, 2011 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Jenny, Paula, Kate, Michelle Lee. That’s at least 4 times.

Comment by Sam – March 17, 2011 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe they are going to Kill House. I mean there is no word about renewal for the show. Other wise I would say 13 or Sweets from Bones.

Comment by Kath – March 14, 2011 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If they kill Cas on Supernatural, they may as well kill Dean also because the show sucked big time this season and it will only suck more if there is a season 7. I don’t like the show anymore but I still like Jensen. Both he and Misha are being wasted in this crap of a show. May the gods be kind to them and give them a chance to move onto better writers and better scripts.

Comment by stelladoro – March 14, 2011 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You sound like one of the little trolls, that go around saying how much the show sucks, yet you still watch it…. Jensen doesn’t need fans like you.

Comment by Dumbass – March 14, 2011 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • people should have to pass a reading comprehension test before commenting. i’ve only read two pages of comments so far, and i’ve noticed a number of ridiculous guesses, such as:

Glee and Chuck: neither of which are DRAMAS
    Parenthood: 1.5 seasons isn’t long enough for “LONG been an Aushole staple”
    i don’t watch it, so i’m not 100% sure, but isn’t Dexter on cable? that’s not BROADCAST.
    it’s probably a show that’s already been renewed because of the “or soon after the show returns next season”

i very highly doubt that Greys is going to kill off another cast member. it’s been done to death (ha) on that show.

i don’t watch House or Bones, but from what i know of them, i think either of them could work. or perhaps one of the Law & Orders? i don’t know that they’ve been renewed yet, but since they’re always on the brink of being eliminated they could easily have budget issues.

Comment by JD – March 14, 2011 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My guess is Angela on Bones, she could die in childbirth. Not that I want that to happen, I love Angela, but it could be the thing that brings Bones and Booth together and moves the relationship along much faster. Plus Hodgins would have to be a father all alone.

Comment by Gina – March 14, 2011 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cuddy pleeeeeeease !

Comment by Zop – March 14, 2011 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thinking it may be Susan on Desperate Housewives.

The title of this also makes me wonder if it could be Sarah Walker on B&S or Adam Braverman on Parenthood.

Heart you Ausiello!

Comment by RDuffy29 – March 14, 2011 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really hoping it’s not Wilson from House, and I don’t think it will be because:
    Budget reasons: if they had to get rid of cast for budget reasons, I highly doubt Wilson would be very high on that list since he is an integral part to the character House
    Creative reasons: Once again, I can’t see the writers thinking it would be a good idea to kill Wilson
    “soon after the show returns next season”: House hasn’t been renewed for an 8th season yet.
    If Wilson left House, it would be RSL’s decision, not TPTBs

Comment by me – March 14, 2011 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m actually thinking Chuck Bass. Didn’t Ed Westwick recently say he was ready to move on from the character? He’s such an integral part of the show though. Would they really let him out of his contract early?

Comment by TamIAm – March 14, 2011 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck Bass. He’s a fan favorite, there’s not much to do with his character any more, Gossip Girl will probably have less budget next year because of poor ratings etc. etc.

Comment by Ali – March 14, 2011 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hopefully no one from House or Bones!!

Comment by Lex – March 14, 2011 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Considering that Aussie is a huge fan of House and Lisa E- …. could be House.. but looks like a very BIG move.. the show hasn’t been confirmed for a 8th season yet and looks like the only one with a 8 years contract is (still) ONLY Hugh Laurie… so if there will be a 8th season it’s not sure al 100% yet .. Could be a big-bang move to catch the audience for the 8th season… but I doubt they would kill off Cuddy.. too many drama to handle with her fans…. ://

Comment by nohuddyfan – March 14, 2011 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you’re talking about [H]ouse, they can kill off anyone but House, Wilson or Cuddy. They can’t kill off House because they won’t have a show. If they kill off Wilson or Cuddy I’m so outta here. Like the show. Watch it every week. Don’t ask for a lot from it but the entertainment it gives. But that point is non-negotiable.

Comment by Jack – March 14, 2011 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ditto.

Comment by @Jack – March 14, 2011 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yep. Non-negotiable is the perfect word.

Comment by Linda – March 14, 2011 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He said Aussie Staple, I am doubting it’s anyone from SPN.. SPN isn’t a Aushole Staple. in fact I don’t think he even likes SPN that much… JMO of course.

I am guessing it’s Bones, House or NCIS.. Is NCIS an Aushole staple lol

NCIS it could be Ziva, however; being the #1 Scripted show on TV, I doubt it has budget issues.

Bones- Could be Sweets, I hope so.. I stopped watching the show when he came on, he was so damn annoying.

House- Could be Cuddy, but then who would be in charge, might be Wilson but would they go there?

Comment by Enough – March 14, 2011 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Could still be her if she asked for too much money to re-sign.
      And that was only one of the possible reasons – the other is for creative reasons which is why Jenny Shepard bit the dust.

Comment by NoChance – March 14, 2011 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Plus, CBS is notoriously tightfisted. The rest of the cast has gotten raises and CdP chose to not negotiate last year, which may have left her out in the cold this year… or maybe she’d already decided to move on last year. After the way they destroyed her character at the end of S6, I wouldn’t be surprised.

Comment by tejas – March 14, 2011 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the show is Grey’s but not sure who exactly is a fan favorite anymore.

Comment by Lisa – March 14, 2011 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thinking since the Susan Sullivan from Castle. Micheal said the character was a fan favorite and Martha is certainly that. She’s also quite an experienced actor; shaking up Castle’s homelife would certainly give another jolt to the series (not that it needs one). I’d hate to see that happen because the cast is truly an ensemble, a great one at that.

Comment by Linderella49 – March 14, 2011 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Castle is only in the second season. I don’t think it qualifies as “long standing.”

Comment by Meg – March 14, 2011 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There must be something to this Six Feet Under clue… It made me think of Rachel Griffiths on B&S. Although not a wildly popular show anymore, Sarah has always been one of the favorite characters on it. I dunno, maybe I’m wayyyy off track?!

Comment by Erica – March 14, 2011 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Serena on Gossip Girl????

They can do Dair and Blake Lively can get out for movies

Comment by Maryanne – March 14, 2011 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There have been too many unexpected kill-offs on “House” already so I doubt it will be anyone from there… unless it’s Thirteen.

Comment by tami – March 14, 2011 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • House is a vicodin induced rage strangles Cuddy to death and then cannot deal with guilt of killing her OD’s on Asprin.

OR

House strangles Cuddy in a vicodin induced rage,Wilson who had been secretly in love with her since season 3 is very depressed. House decides to drop acid and in a moment of vulnerablity tells Wilson he loves him. Wilson now more depressed than ever OD’s on Antidepressants and vicodin stolen from House .

Comment by erin bowers – March 14, 2011 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thanks God you’re not a TPTB! ;P

Comment by belbelbel – March 14, 2011 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it’s either Wilson or Cuddy on “House” :/

Comment by Mafz – March 14, 2011 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I certainly hope not. Then it would be, “Bye-bye, House, M.D.” They’re too important to the show for them to kill them off for drama’s sake. The show would change too much without either Wilson or Cuddy.

Comment by Frances – March 14, 2011 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Totally agree with you! I don’t know why people hate Cuddy so much. They should just watch and stop complaining. After all, the remote is there for it!

Comment by belbelbel – March 14, 2011 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Mafz-Would they really do that though-just to be dramatic and splashy? Oh well. If they do I’d stop watching.

@Frances-You’re right. It would change too much and not in a good way.

Comment by J. McDonnell – March 14, 2011 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thinking it is probably Abby from NCIS. Wildly popular broadcast show and she is definitely a fan favourite.

Comment by Kim – March 14, 2011 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They wouldn’t kill Abby, the show would die without her, she is arguably the 3rd most vital character on the show after Gibbs and Tony.

Comment by Martin – March 14, 2011 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Pauley signed a two year contract renegotiation last summer. Either the actress or CBS would have to break the contract in order for Abby to be killed off… besides, just because Ausiello considers the character “wildly” popular, does NOT necessarily mean the rest of the bulk of the show’s fanbase does.

I’m hoping they get rid of Ziva.

Comment by Blix – March 14, 2011 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed. Ziva’s the obvious choice to kill off on NCIS. She’s been done to death. They’ve squeezed any possible dramatic use out of her, ground her up and buried the pieces already. Killing her is a formality at this point.

Comment by tejas – March 14, 2011 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Again… no comment… you Anti’s believe this, that’s about it… your a minority, learn it and get over it…

Comment by Anni – March 29, 2011 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope its not Derek from Grey’s but sadly it could be. Patrick is never on cause he does so many other things so I can see the decision made to cut costs.

Comment by Carly – March 14, 2011 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I believe the reason why Mer & Der are not on as much anymore is that their contracts end in the next year (or two?) and both have said they will NOT renew. This is Shonda’s way of getting us invested in the other characters and weaning us off of MerDer. That’s why Calzona, etc. has been shoved down our throats so much this past year or so.

Comment by alphonse – March 14, 2011 11:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’s most likely Gossip Girl, and no, not Jenny. Jenny is de facto dead already since she’s thankfully never around. Waste of time and resources to make her die. Not to mention she is most definitely not a fan favorite. Read the actor interviews people… the most likely to die, IF it is Gossip Girl, is Chuck. Definitely a very popular character and very often mentioned here. If it’s not Gossip Girl, then I think Bones or House. No way this is about Grey’s Anatomy, it isn’t even an Ausiello column favorite.

Comment by Isa – March 14, 2011 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My guess is either Callie from Greys’ Anatomy, Ziva from NCIS or Catherine from CSI, can live with Catherine going as don’t really watch this show anymore but not the other two, Calzona and Tiva will never be the same, although if the show is NCIS, i think it would be her seeing as they like to kill off females not named Abby. And it doesn’t matter, for any show, if the actor is contracted till next season, Katherine Heigl anyone?, also, Brooke Smith was bought out of her contract on Greys’ too.

Ausiello, any chance of eliminating some shows or networks, or doing that thing with the stars over the name and only a few letters visible, really worried about my favourite shows.

Comment by Martin – March 14, 2011 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very worried it’s Bobby on Supernatural. I don’t think this article said it was a series regular on whatever show, he’s a fan favourite, the show is a staple here and if the decision was a very hard one to make it’d make sense too since I’m sure the writers know just how much the fans like him… damn I hope it’s not Bobby!

Comment by Marc – March 14, 2011 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Caroline on Vampire Diaries ! Everybody love her and the writers are so capable to do it ! it will be so so so sad ! i hope i’m not right !

Comment by Mattthieu Lefevre – March 14, 2011 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Nate dies on Parenthood I’m gonna be p*ssed.

Comment by DrewH – March 14, 2011 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bet it is someone on NCIS.

Comment by Sarah – March 14, 2011 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe Greg Sanders, from CSI? He’s a fan favourite. Or else, as sad as I could be, I’d say Wilson or Cuddy. They’re definitely favs.

Comment by belbelbel – March 14, 2011 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it’s most likely cuddy on house… I wish it was Chuck on GG though lol

Comment by Laura – March 14, 2011 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m with everyone on here who says if Cuddy or Wilson go, I go. I won’t even look back.

Comment by Travis – March 14, 2011 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Though it sounds like it could be Ziva from NCIS, I highly doubt it. NCIS isn’t in a position to need to kill people off for money, and I think they’d lose a fair amount of viewers if they killed her. At least … that’s what I’ll keep telling myself ;).

Comment by Erin – March 14, 2011 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post