Blind Item: Fave Character Going Six Feet Under

Get More: Blind Item, Scoop, Spoilers

I’ve seen the future, and there are a lot of very unhappy people.

Multiple sources are confirming that a wildly popular character on an hour drama that has long been an Aushole staple is about to take his/her last breath.

I’m told the producers of this unnamed broadcast series are planning to kill off the fan favorite either in the season finale or soon after the show returns next season.

It’s not clear if the decision was made for creative or budgetary reasons — it was likely a combination of both — but it’s my understanding that it was not arrived at lightly. Far from it, in fact.

There’s also a chance the execs at the program in question will have a last-minute change of heart, but, according my spies, it’s an extremely slim one.

Which show is putting a hit out on one of its MVPs — and whose name is on the toe tag? The comments section is open for business!

Comments (718)

• is it cheif webber on grey’s ?

Comment by lonestar – March 14, 2011 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why is “broadcast” in italics. Could it be that it’s not a major network?

Comment by Amanda – March 14, 2011 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Broadcast” means “Not Cable.” Not Dexter, Mad Men or anything like that. CBS/ABC/FOX/NBC only.

No way are they killing off Peter Krause from Parenthood. He’s essentially the star of the series. It’s also not a long-running one, either.

I’d guess it’s someone from Grey’s or House. Maybe Bros/Sisters? That show will probably need to pare down its cast to get another season.

Comment by renton – March 14, 2011 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe Rachel Griffiths character on B & S? She was on Six Feet Under. Peter Krause is the only other SFU actor currently on a network show, but I can’t see them doing something like that on Parenthood.

Comment by Mbr – March 14, 2011 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The CW is also considered broadcast.

Comment by Beth – March 15, 2011 06:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • if it´s cuddy it´s a terrible choice!

Comment by noe – March 14, 2011 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is this the same person of the other blind item? The diva?

Comment by Rafa Bauer – March 14, 2011 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh gosh, please don’t be Castiel!!!!!!!!!!!

But if we were to be literal, it really couldn’t be Castiel since he’s an angel and when angels die they don’t go six feet under! They just kind of disappear, right?

Comment by GLuisa88 – March 14, 2011 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m guessing it’s one of the Bones regulars – it’s been touted since Arnold Vosloo’s casting in the sniper story arc that there was someone else in the firing line (bad pun, sorry) other than the Gravedigger. Probably one of the squinterns. Really hoping it’s not Sweets, he’s one of my favorites!

Comment by Shazza – March 14, 2011 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please be Castiel, I can not stand that dullard! Get rid!!!

Comment by Ruth – March 14, 2011 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OK, people: it’s not Glee b/c it’s a drama, not a comedy. It is also not Dexter b/c it’s broadcast, not cable. So according to the clues we should limit our guesses to the Big Five. I think Peter Krause, Wilson and 13 are the best so far.

Comment by karen – March 14, 2011 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bailey or Derek from Grey’s.

Comment by Mandy – March 14, 2011 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think it could be Derek also. Patrick Dempsey is off shooting movies and racing all season. Makes sense if he goes now.

Comment by Terry – March 14, 2011 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Broadcast = not cable is my guess on that one.

I wouldn’t read too much into the phrasing of things, but if we want to pick that apart:
    Wildly could mean anything – doesn’t have to mean Olivia Wilde (HOUSE), it could mean some other character that’s an unexpected fan favorite that came out of left field (like Morgan on CHUCK, or Garcia on CRIMINAL MINDS)
    Toe-tag could mean anything that involves a morgue or coroner or forensic team (HOUSE, GREY’S, DEXTER, CSI, CRIMINAL MINDS)
    Long staple of the column – you guys probably know that better than I, so what’s the intersection?

Comment by AnnS – March 14, 2011 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Now that you say that, hopefully its not Dr. Robbins on CSI.

Comment by JohnDoe – March 14, 2011 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh, I hope it’s not Doc Robbins either.

I forgot to mention Bones, and in light of a question on the latest Ask Ausiello, it could well be.

Comment by AnnS – March 15, 2011 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh I kinda doubt Robert David Hall is an “Ausiello Staple” or a fan favorite. In fact, I know of some fans who have grown to dislike Doc a lot because he started getting more screen time in some episodes than some of the CSIs thanks to him being Langston’s buddy.

Comment by hillary – March 18, 2011 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Omg. I have a feeling it’s going to be Bones. PLEASE SAY IT’S NOT SWEETS!

Comment by Liz – March 14, 2011 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thinking one of the ladies on Wisteria Lane on Desperate Housewives, probably Susan.

Comment by Darrow – March 14, 2011 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wrong. She has a contract for next season. Spoilers say she’ll be fixed with the kidney stuff. It’s noone from Desperate Housewives.

Comment by Ingmar – March 14, 2011 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well, since Susan just got a fortuitous kidney donation it’s unlikely to be her. That she has a contract for next season is a less compelling argument. See:Sheen,Charlie

Comment by susan's kidney – March 14, 2011 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please, not anyone else from Criminal Minds!!! Though if I had to guess, I’d say NCIS or Bones…not that either of those makes me happy…

Comment by Kait – March 14, 2011 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why is she called Thirteen? I’ve never heard the explanation. Seriously.

Comment by Lee Harvey – March 14, 2011 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because when House was interviewing candidates for a position in his department they all had numbers, and she was……………13.

Comment by Paul Cadir – March 14, 2011 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It had better not be Cuddy or Wilson on House. Lisa Edelstein is the strongest, most reliable female character that show has right now and Robert Sean Leonard is needed to still be House’s friend. Either of them dying on the show would be a HUGE mistake. Dramatic…yes. Smart? No way!!!

Comment by Drdiagnostic – March 14, 2011 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • +1

It better not be either of them.

Comment by Jane2 – March 14, 2011 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cuddy would be the BEST choice. Dramatic storyline, and get rid of a poor actress and a redundant and weak character. Wilson as House’s friend has a great dynamic so I would be sad to see him go.

Comment by DanT – March 14, 2011 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aushole staples:
    House:
    “Wildly popular” – could take out 13 as she’s not universally loved but her last name Wilde is one of those puns Mikey likes, keeps Wilson, Cuddy, and Chase as options
    “Early next year” – show is already renewed

Bones:
    “Wildly popular” – I just don’t think Sweets would be that popular.

Smallville – not on next year

SPN – kindof on the bubble isn’t it?

Don’t follow the rest.

Comment by SnazzyO – March 14, 2011 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • SPN’s not on the bubble; they’re ending this season on a cliffie, which I’d think means they’re confident it’ll be renewed. And Aus has it listed as “a sure thing” on his renewal scorecard.

I hope it’s not SPN, though.

Comment by Ace – March 14, 2011 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please, not in House! this has been so difficult already…

Comment by Laura – March 14, 2011 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Castiel! Castiel! Castiel! I’d forgive the writers for the entirety of season 4 if they killed him off.

Comment by HarrietO – March 14, 2011 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about Dr. Chase? Aushole… fan favorite… can’t imagine the show would survive if House were killed off.

Comment by DH – March 14, 2011 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think Chase is that popular.

I’d love to see him go… not because I don’t like him, he’s my favorit, but… I’d be glad if JS could find another show where he’s not just a pretty wallpaper. He deserves more.

Comment by MiMi – March 14, 2011 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My (sad) guess is Marg Helgenberger on CSI

Comment by Ron – March 14, 2011 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • don’t be Bones Please!!!

Comment by mak – March 14, 2011 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope it’s Cuddy.

Comment by MiMi – March 14, 2011 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too.

Comment by Jayde – March 14, 2011 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Cuddy hopes it’s you.

Comment by bigoldmeanie – March 14, 2011 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • LMAO @ bigoldmeanie. Yea they need to keep Cuddy & Wilson. Without them the show would lose something it can’t get back. To me they are the most entertaining characters besides House himself. I can see how people would stop watching. I think I would too. House needs them and so de we.

Comment by Leo – March 14, 2011 10:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • McDreamy.

Comment by Sarah – March 14, 2011 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’s Caroline on Vampire Diaries.

Comment by MSQueen – March 14, 2011 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope not ! I appreciate her so much !

Comment by Mattthieu Lefevre – March 14, 2011 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It just better not be Damon.

Comment by Linds – March 14, 2011 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • TVD is only 2 seasons old. I don’t think that falls into the “longstanding Aushole staple” category.

Comment by Meg – March 14, 2011 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m praying that its Olivia Wilde on House. She’s got a debilitating diesease on a medical show. My money’s on her. I have no problems with the actress, just the charactor. Either that or Cuddy. Please, I could almost deal with 13 if it meant no more Cuddy! I want my Cameron back! Such a better character than either of those self-righteous whiners!

Comment by Haley – March 14, 2011 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wait, you think 13 and Cuddy are self-righteous whiners but you want *your* Cameron back. Cameron. C-A-M-E-R-O-N. But no self-righteous whiners…

What color is the sky in your world?

Comment by sadtroll – March 14, 2011 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And….when you – sadtroll – get a live?
        If she love Cameron, Joseph or Betty what is your problem?
        Sky is blue but your non-existent life is more pathetic.

Comment by Sonia – March 20, 2011 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hmmm — Calista Flockhart or Kitty from Brothers & Sisters? She doesn’t seem to want to be on the show anymore, but it hasn’t received a pick-up, so who knows.

Comment by Jenn – March 14, 2011 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • as much i hate to say this i think it maybe a character on bones or it could be masters on house she is leaving soon anyway but my first choice would be bones

Comment by Karen – March 14, 2011 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There’s one clue people seem to be ignoring: Ausiello says it is being done for either creative or financial reasons, “likely” both. That means we should look at shows that may need to reduce their budget to keep living.

To me, this points to Chuck, and more specifically Casey. Adam Baldwin’s character has had his role slowly reduced as Chuck has become competent. Taking Baldwin out of the equation could make the numbers far more friendly for one more season.

Comment by DH – March 14, 2011 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have a feeling that “Six feet under” is a pretty heavy clue, which makes me think that it’s likely someone who was on that show. Peter Krause ( Parenthood) and Rachel Griffiths ( Brothers and Sisters) are both currently airing on broadcast network shows, so it could be either, but if I was a betting person, I’d be placing my money on PK.

Comment by Jayme – March 14, 2011 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope if they have to kill off anyone on Parenthood, it’s that idiot Crosby ( Dax Sheppard)… He’s probably the most stupid and annoying character on TV…

Comment by Doug-H – March 15, 2011 06:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hopefully it’s House or Cuddy.

Comment by Brian – March 14, 2011 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cuddy would be great, but House without House wouldn’t be House. :P

Comment by DanT – March 14, 2011 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Six feet under?? Not Peter Krause on Parenthood! Please, no.

Comment by Jaylie – March 14, 2011 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it could be Derek Shepherd on Grey’s too. Meredith finds out she’s pregnant then Derek dies.

Comment by Denise – March 14, 2011 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope it’s Angela on Bones. People like her but I can’t stand her.

Comment by DJ – March 14, 2011 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • But she isn’t popular and has already finished filming her episodes, and she is not a leading character or fan fave.

Comment by Patty – March 14, 2011 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • IMHO, it’s either Wilson on House or Castiel on Supernatural – it was said that there would be surprising deaths on SPN. And if it’s Wilson, it’ll be the end of that show for me :(

Comment by timotey – March 14, 2011 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hopefully the whole cast of Desperate Housewives. [-O<

Comment by tommyg – March 14, 2011 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ducky on NCIS. He is the M.E. so that is the Toe-Tag Ref. Plus the have a serial killer storyline to finish the year.

Comment by Jim – March 14, 2011 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Last summer, David McCallum renewed his contract for two years, just like the others who were up for renegotiation last year (Sean Murray, Michael Weatherly, Pauley P.) Unless either David or CBS is going to break his contract, it’s not Ducky.

Ausiello said the character was a “staple” to his column, that also rather rules out Ducky.

Comment by Blix – March 14, 2011 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kitty – Brothers & Sisters

Comment by Jon – March 14, 2011 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • without Cuddy I will NOT watch House MD.

Go ahead Shore and Co, make this an all male show, you suck at writing female characters.. you’ve already proven that.

You get House and Cuddy together and all you give Cuddy to do is be a foil for House, be his ‘nagging’ girlfriend. You couldn’t have come up with something better? I’ve got a soft spot for Cuddy but… I hope Ms Edelstein doesn’t leave cause I love seeing her on my TV one hour a week, but if she does.. good for her and I hope she lands a role on Alan Sorkin’s new TV project.

Comment by Eve – March 14, 2011 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • We hope Lisa Edelstein lands a role anywhere else, just please get her off House. Her character has ruined the show completely. Hopefully now Cuddy broke up with House they may get back to having a decent House character and show again. Bye bye Cuddy.

Comment by Brandi – March 14, 2011 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • House would be much better without any female characters.

Comment by MiMi – March 14, 2011 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s for sure House has some of the most poorly written female characters I’ve ever seen (Cameron, 13, Cuddy).

Comment by Holly – March 14, 2011 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m assuming CHUCK is not at risk, since it’s more a comedy. FRINGE isn’t really considered a “hit” (although it SHOULD be!). I watch a lot of TV, but am praying it isn’t NCIS, BONES, or CASTLE. The latter is still a bit new, but I don’t know Ausiello’s definition of “long” when it comes to staples.

Comment by Cass – March 14, 2011 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have a feeling that this is either a reference to the serial killer arc on NCIS, the sniper arc on Bones, or the fact that Meloni wants to leave L&O SVU…

Comment by Stephanie – March 14, 2011 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He said “Aushole” and the only reason I can think why he’d say that is if the actor is from Australia. I don’t watch much tv so I don’t have any idea who is from Australia. Furthermore, the combination with the a-hole word makes it sounds like he’s an a-hole from Australia.

If not, I have no idea why those words were combined in such a way. Very misleading if it’s not identifying the actor or actress.

Comment by David – March 14, 2011 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ausholes are fans of Ausiello’s column

Comment by Amy – March 14, 2011 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As the person above stated Aushole is a combination of Ausiello and a-hole.

But Jesse Spencer (Chase on House) is from Australia, and he could definitely be the one they’re talking about.

Comment by Meg – March 14, 2011 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it really someone that was on the show Six feet Under? If so then I wonder if it is Eric Balfour who plays Duke on Haven. A while back he talked on twitter about a show he was trying to get picked up. I really hope it isn’t him though cause Duke is one of my favorites on Haven.

Comment by april – March 14, 2011 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thinking it may be Wilson from House. Hasn’t RSL been itching to get back to Broadway?

Comment by Jenny – March 14, 2011 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • as much as i dont want it to be i am thinking its bones their is supposed to be someone who gets killed off but it may also be 13 from house

Comment by Karen – March 14, 2011 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am afraid that its Vampire Diaries. Likely Caroline, but I hope its not.

Comment by crystal – March 14, 2011 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it would be a poor decision to eliminate either Robert Sean Leonard or Lisa Edelstein from the House roster if the Blind Item pertains to House. It may be a nice dramatic tool from a creative standpoint but losing strong, well-loved actors just is not a positive message to send fans. Again, that’s if the Blind Item pertains to House.

Comment by Doc – March 14, 2011 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cristina or Derek from Grey’s Anatomy.

Comment by Jenna – March 14, 2011 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i really hope the six feet under thing isn’t some kind of clue to it being peter krause on parenthood or rachel griffiths on B&S because both characters are amazing and vital to their respective shows. B&S esp. CANNOT take any more losses with its cast slowly shrinking since season 2.

and no, it’s not going to be derek from grey’s lol that’s just not happening.

Comment by Bee – March 14, 2011 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Item makes it sound like the show is already renewed for next year so that eliminates Parenthood and Brothers & Sisters.

Someone from Grey’s or Bones is my guess. If its budget reasons I can see it being Derek. Patrick Dempsey is never on. Why pay him all that money for him to be off making movies?

Comment by Kayla – March 14, 2011 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post