Blind Item: Fave Character Going Six Feet Under

I’ve seen the future, and there are a lot of very unhappy people.

Multiple sources are confirming that a wildly popular character on an hour drama that has long been an Aushole staple is about to take his/her last breath.

I’m told the producers of this unnamed broadcast series are planning to kill off the fan favorite either in the season finale or soon after the show returns next season.

It’s not clear if the decision was made for creative or budgetary reasons — it was likely a combination of both — but it’s my understanding that it was not arrived at lightly. Far from it, in fact.

There’s also a chance the execs at the program in question will have a last-minute change of heart, but, according my spies, it’s an extremely slim one.

Which show is putting a hit out on one of its MVPs — and whose name is on the toe tag? The comments section is open for business!

1. lonestar says:

is it cheif webber on grey’s ?

2. Amanda says:

Why is “broadcast” in italics. Could it be that it’s not a major network?

3. renton says:

“Broadcast” means “Not Cable.” Not Dexter, Mad Men or anything like that. CBS/ABC/FOX/NBC only.

No way are they killing off Peter Krause from Parenthood. He’s essentially the star of the series. It’s also not a long-running one, either.

I’d guess it’s someone from Grey’s or House. Maybe Bros/Sisters? That show will probably need to pare down its cast to get another season.

• Mbr says:

Maybe Rachel Griffiths character on B & S? She was on Six Feet Under. Peter Krause is the only other SFU actor currently on a network show, but I can’t see them doing something like that on Parenthood.

• Beth says:

The CW is also considered broadcast.

4. noe says:

if it´s cuddy it´s a terrible choice!

5. Rafa Bauer says:

Is this the same person of the other blind item? The diva?

6. GLuisa88 says:

Oh gosh, please don’t be Castiel!!!!!!!!!!!

But if we were to be literal, it really couldn’t be Castiel since he’s an angel and when angels die they don’t go six feet under! They just kind of disappear, right?

7. Shazza says:

I’m guessing it’s one of the Bones regulars – it’s been touted since Arnold Vosloo’s casting in the sniper story arc that there was someone else in the firing line (bad pun, sorry) other than the Gravedigger. Probably one of the squinterns. Really hoping it’s not Sweets, he’s one of my favorites!

8. Ruth says:

Please be Castiel, I can not stand that dullard! Get rid!!!

9. karen says:

OK, people: it’s not Glee b/c it’s a drama, not a comedy. It is also not Dexter b/c it’s broadcast, not cable. So according to the clues we should limit our guesses to the Big Five. I think Peter Krause, Wilson and 13 are the best so far.

10. Mandy says:

Bailey or Derek from Grey’s.

• Terry says:

I think it could be Derek also. Patrick Dempsey is off shooting movies and racing all season. Makes sense if he goes now.

11. AnnS says:

Broadcast = not cable is my guess on that one.

I wouldn’t read too much into the phrasing of things, but if we want to pick that apart:
    Wildly could mean anything – doesn’t have to mean Olivia Wilde (HOUSE), it could mean some other character that’s an unexpected fan favorite that came out of left field (like Morgan on CHUCK, or Garcia on CRIMINAL MINDS)
    Toe-tag could mean anything that involves a morgue or coroner or forensic team (HOUSE, GREY’S, DEXTER, CSI, CRIMINAL MINDS)
    Long staple of the column – you guys probably know that better than I, so what’s the intersection?

• JohnDoe says:

Now that you say that, hopefully its not Dr. Robbins on CSI.

• AnnS says:

Oh, I hope it’s not Doc Robbins either.

I forgot to mention Bones, and in light of a question on the latest Ask Ausiello, it could well be.

• hillary says:

Oh I kinda doubt Robert David Hall is an “Ausiello Staple” or a fan favorite. In fact, I know of some fans who have grown to dislike Doc a lot because he started getting more screen time in some episodes than some of the CSIs thanks to him being Langston’s buddy.

12. Liz says:

Omg. I have a feeling it’s going to be Bones. PLEASE SAY IT’S NOT SWEETS!

13. Darrow says:

I’m thinking one of the ladies on Wisteria Lane on Desperate Housewives, probably Susan.

• Ingmar says:

Wrong. She has a contract for next season. Spoilers say she’ll be fixed with the kidney stuff. It’s noone from Desperate Housewives.

• susan's kidney says:

Well, since Susan just got a fortuitous kidney donation it’s unlikely to be her. That she has a contract for next season is a less compelling argument. See:Sheen,Charlie

14. Kait says:

Please, not anyone else from Criminal Minds!!! Though if I had to guess, I’d say NCIS or Bones…not that either of those makes me happy…

15. Lee Harvey says:

Why is she called Thirteen? I’ve never heard the explanation. Seriously.

• Paul Cadir says:

Because when House was interviewing candidates for a position in his department they all had numbers, and she was……………13.

16. Drdiagnostic says:

It had better not be Cuddy or Wilson on House. Lisa Edelstein is the strongest, most reliable female character that show has right now and Robert Sean Leonard is needed to still be House’s friend. Either of them dying on the show would be a HUGE mistake. Dramatic…yes. Smart? No way!!!

• Jane2 says:

It better not be either of them.

• DanT says:

Cuddy would be the BEST choice. Dramatic storyline, and get rid of a poor actress and a redundant and weak character. Wilson as House’s friend has a great dynamic so I would be sad to see him go.

17. SnazzyO says:

Aushole staples:
    House:
    “Wildly popular” – could take out 13 as she’s not universally loved but her last name Wilde is one of those puns Mikey likes, keeps Wilson, Cuddy, and Chase as options
    “Early next year” – show is already renewed

Bones:
    “Wildly popular” – I just don’t think Sweets would be that popular.

Smallville – not on next year

SPN – kindof on the bubble isn’t it?

Don’t follow the rest.

• Ace says:

SPN’s not on the bubble; they’re ending this season on a cliffie, which I’d think means they’re confident it’ll be renewed. And Aus has it listed as “a sure thing” on his renewal scorecard.

I hope it’s not SPN, though.

18. Laura says:

Please, not in House! this has been so difficult already…

19. HarrietO says:

Castiel! Castiel! Castiel! I’d forgive the writers for the entirety of season 4 if they killed him off.

20. DH says:

How about Dr. Chase? Aushole… fan favorite… can’t imagine the show would survive if House were killed off.

• MiMi says:

I don’t think Chase is that popular.

I’d love to see him go… not because I don’t like him, he’s my favorit, but… I’d be glad if JS could find another show where he’s not just a pretty wallpaper. He deserves more.

21. Ron says:

My (sad) guess is Marg Helgenberger on CSI

22. mak says:

don’t be Bones Please!!!

23. MiMi says:

I hope it’s Cuddy.

24. Sarah says:

McDreamy.

25. MSQueen says:

I think it’s Caroline on Vampire Diaries.

26. Haley says:

I’m praying that its Olivia Wilde on House. She’s got a debilitating diesease on a medical show. My money’s on her. I have no problems with the actress, just the charactor. Either that or Cuddy. Please, I could almost deal with 13 if it meant no more Cuddy! I want my Cameron back! Such a better character than either of those self-righteous whiners!

• sadtroll says:

Wait, you think 13 and Cuddy are self-righteous whiners but you want *your* Cameron back. Cameron. C-A-M-E-R-O-N. But no self-righteous whiners…

What color is the sky in your world?

• Sonia says:

And….when you – sadtroll – get a live?
        If she love Cameron, Joseph or Betty what is your problem?
        Sky is blue but your non-existent life is more pathetic.

27. Jenn says:

Hmmm — Calista Flockhart or Kitty from Brothers & Sisters? She doesn’t seem to want to be on the show anymore, but it hasn’t received a pick-up, so who knows.

28. Karen says:

as much i hate to say this i think it maybe a character on bones or it could be masters on house she is leaving soon anyway but my first choice would be bones

29. DH says:

There’s one clue people seem to be ignoring: Ausiello says it is being done for either creative or financial reasons, “likely” both. That means we should look at shows that may need to reduce their budget to keep living.

To me, this points to Chuck, and more specifically Casey. Adam Baldwin’s character has had his role slowly reduced as Chuck has become competent. Taking Baldwin out of the equation could make the numbers far more friendly for one more season.

30. Jayme says:

I have a feeling that “Six feet under” is a pretty heavy clue, which makes me think that it’s likely someone who was on that show. Peter Krause ( Parenthood) and Rachel Griffiths ( Brothers and Sisters) are both currently airing on broadcast network shows, so it could be either, but if I was a betting person, I’d be placing my money on PK.

• Doug-H says:

I hope if they have to kill off anyone on Parenthood, it’s that idiot Crosby ( Dax Sheppard)… He’s probably the most stupid and annoying character on TV…

31. Brian says:

Hopefully it’s House or Cuddy.

32. Jaylie says:

Six feet under?? Not Peter Krause on Parenthood! Please, no.

33. Denise says:

I think it could be Derek Shepherd on Grey’s too. Meredith finds out she’s pregnant then Derek dies.

34. DJ says:

I hope it’s Angela on Bones. People like her but I can’t stand her.

35. Patty says:

But she isn’t popular and has already finished filming her episodes, and she is not a leading character or fan fave.

36. timotey says:

IMHO, it’s either Wilson on House or Castiel on Supernatural – it was said that there would be surprising deaths on SPN. And if it’s Wilson, it’ll be the end of that show for me :(

37. tommyg says:

Hopefully the whole cast of Desperate Housewives. [-O<

38. Jim says:

Ducky on NCIS. He is the M.E. so that is the Toe-Tag Ref. Plus the have a serial killer storyline to finish the year.

• Blix says:

Last summer, David McCallum renewed his contract for two years, just like the others who were up for renegotiation last year (Sean Murray, Michael Weatherly, Pauley P.) Unless either David or CBS is going to break his contract, it’s not Ducky.

Ausiello said the character was a “staple” to his column, that also rather rules out Ducky.

39. Jon says:

Kitty – Brothers & Sisters

40. Eve says:

without Cuddy I will NOT watch House MD.

Go ahead Shore and Co, make this an all male show, you suck at writing female characters.. you’ve already proven that.

You get House and Cuddy together and all you give Cuddy to do is be a foil for House, be his ‘nagging’ girlfriend. You couldn’t have come up with something better? I’ve got a soft spot for Cuddy but… I hope Ms Edelstein doesn’t leave cause I love seeing her on my TV one hour a week, but if she does.. good for her and I hope she lands a role on Alan Sorkin’s new TV project.

• Brandi says:

We hope Lisa Edelstein lands a role anywhere else, just please get her off House. Her character has ruined the show completely. Hopefully now Cuddy broke up with House they may get back to having a decent House character and show again. Bye bye Cuddy.

• MiMi says:

House would be much better without any female characters.

• Holly says:

It’s for sure House has some of the most poorly written female characters I’ve ever seen (Cameron, 13, Cuddy).

41. Cass says:

I’m assuming CHUCK is not at risk, since it’s more a comedy. FRINGE isn’t really considered a “hit” (although it SHOULD be!). I watch a lot of TV, but am praying it isn’t NCIS, BONES, or CASTLE. The latter is still a bit new, but I don’t know Ausiello’s definition of “long” when it comes to staples.

42. Stephanie says:

I have a feeling that this is either a reference to the serial killer arc on NCIS, the sniper arc on Bones, or the fact that Meloni wants to leave L&O SVU…

43. David says:

He said “Aushole” and the only reason I can think why he’d say that is if the actor is from Australia. I don’t watch much tv so I don’t have any idea who is from Australia. Furthermore, the combination with the a-hole word makes it sounds like he’s an a-hole from Australia.

If not, I have no idea why those words were combined in such a way. Very misleading if it’s not identifying the actor or actress.

• Amy says:

Ausholes are fans of Ausiello’s column

• Meg says:

As the person above stated Aushole is a combination of Ausiello and a-hole.

But Jesse Spencer (Chase on House) is from Australia, and he could definitely be the one they’re talking about.

44. april says:

Is it really someone that was on the show Six feet Under? If so then I wonder if it is Eric Balfour who plays Duke on Haven. A while back he talked on twitter about a show he was trying to get picked up. I really hope it isn’t him though cause Duke is one of my favorites on Haven.

45. Jenny says:

I’m thinking it may be Wilson from House. Hasn’t RSL been itching to get back to Broadway?

46. Karen says:

as much as i dont want it to be i am thinking its bones their is supposed to be someone who gets killed off but it may also be 13 from house

47. crystal says:

I am afraid that its Vampire Diaries. Likely Caroline, but I hope its not.

48. Doc says:

I think it would be a poor decision to eliminate either Robert Sean Leonard or Lisa Edelstein from the House roster if the Blind Item pertains to House. It may be a nice dramatic tool from a creative standpoint but losing strong, well-loved actors just is not a positive message to send fans. Again, that’s if the Blind Item pertains to House.

49. Jenna says:

Cristina or Derek from Grey’s Anatomy.

50. Bee says:

i really hope the six feet under thing isn’t some kind of clue to it being peter krause on parenthood or rachel griffiths on B&S because both characters are amazing and vital to their respective shows. B&S esp. CANNOT take any more losses with its cast slowly shrinking since season 2.

and no, it’s not going to be derek from grey’s lol that’s just not happening.

• Kayla says:

Item makes it sound like the show is already renewed for next year so that eliminates Parenthood and Brothers & Sisters.

Someone from Grey’s or Bones is my guess. If its budget reasons I can see it being Derek. Patrick Dempsey is never on. Why pay him all that money for him to be off making movies?