Big Love Star Previews the Show's 'Shocking, Outrageous' Finish: 'Everything Will Be Tied Up'

One of the most surprising things about the final season of HBO’s Big Love (Sundays at 9/8c) — besides the Henricksons going public with their polygamist beliefs, of course — has been the emergence (and importance!) of Nicki’s daughter, played by up-and-comer Cassi Thomson. Will Cara Lynn’s illicit affair further destroy the family? How will it all end? Thomson tells all to TVLine.

TVLINE | Big Love is thisclose to coming to an end, and Cara Lynn has been such an integral part of its final season. How has that been for you?
It’s been so amazing. Honestly, our creators Mark V. Olsen and Will Scheffer are geniuses, so intelligent and so talented and so nice. They’ve created a show that is going to be remembered for a really long time. Chloe Sevigny is one of the most talented people I have ever worked with — she can do anything! She brings Nicki to life in such a fun but outrageous way, and it’s been such a treat to work with her and play opposite her. I’ve learned so much from her and from everybody on set.

TVLINE | Talk about Cara Lynn’s journey in these final two episodes.
Cara Lynn’s had a hard time trying to adjust to this new modern world. Nicki now knows that Cara Lynn is having this relationship with her teacher Greg Ivey (played by Christian Campbell), and the next two episodes are very intense for her, especially this week. Nicki and Cara Lynn are at a breaking point right now, and this week Nicki just goes crazy. Nicki’s always dramatic, but she’s going to put Cara Lynn through the wringer. And the finale is going to be very good.

TVLINE | Will Cara Lynn continue to see her teacher, ultimately putting the family in more danger? Or will Nicki ultimately win the fight?
It’s definitely a battle. But this is not a thing where Cara Lynn says ‘screw you’ to the rest of the family. She’s deeply concerned that what she’s doing is hurting them, and she didn’t really understand what was at stake here with this relationship with her teacher. But their relationship doesn’t just end. This week’s episode still shows some stuff happening with Cara Lynn and Greg, but Nicki is not weak and she will get what she wants, which is to protect her daughter.

TVLINE | Big Love‘s final episodes have been filled to the brim with shocks, and fans are concerned the series won’t be able to wrap everything up by the end. Can you ease their minds?
When I read Episode 6 I though the same thing, but everything will get tied up and the series ends on a put-together note. It is very shocking and outrageous. All I can really say is to expect the unexpected. It all does get wrapped up though, believe it or not.

TVLINE | Besides your upcoming CSI: Miami guest spot, what would you like to do next in your budding career?
I’m kind of a tomboy, so I’ve always had a soft spot for action movies. I would love to do one of those, doing my own stunts and training.

TVLINE | Any special plans to commemorate Big Love‘s finale night?
I usually just watch with my mom. She’s been a fan forever, so I’ll watch at home with her!

Don’t miss Big Love‘s penultimate episode tonight at 9/8c, on HBO.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Interviews, News, Previews

1. Stacie says:

I honestly have been an a reluctant fan all these years. In such, I have watched every episode but I fast-forwarded through scenes, waited several weeks before watching a new episode, things like that. But, I gotta say this year has been fantastic. Every episode has several standout moments, the actors have been on the ball every scene, and it’s been fun to watch. I don’t know if I’ll miss this show like I miss LOST and FRIENDS and several other shows that I still wish were on, but come next winter I’ll definetly feel like something is missing.

2. Ryan says:

Hehe, that last answer was clearly code for “I’d sell a kidney to play Katniss”

3. Rich says:

I’m a big fan of Big Love – very intense show and extremely well made. It’s always thought out and carefully put together until tonight. With jus one week left to go, the producers decide to go out and jump the shark. Bad enough that no one ran to comfort Cara Lynn, but a shoot out in the hallways of the Utah State Senate? Never mind that there is apolice dragnet out for Albie, but how does a killer on the run just walk into a state building with a gun? Guards? Metal Detectors? Security? Locked Doors? Passes for those who belong? 9/11? something realistic? And how and why does Bill go there in the middle of the night and the other three just stroll in and join him? Didn’t he say something about lockdown? Wouldn’t they be a bit concerned for Bill’s safety? Their own safety? One week to go and all logic and reason goes out the window? Dramatic for a shoot-em-up action movie – but absurd for a quality series. Now, however it ends, it’s just another TV show. Disappointed.

• Kariem says:

Big Love is one of the best series in television history. Bravo to Mark, Will and HBO for having the courage to create a show dedicated to the exploration of Faith. What does it mean to truly BELIEVE in a principle? To have every choice you make in life a function of that belief system. Big Love has been written so honestly, the actors have been so invested, simply Brilliant. Never really picked up any pop culture buzz, it wasn’t cool to watch (like Friends or Lost)but it sure was Great to watch! I will miss the show and I think it is a mistake to end it now. This was by far my favorite season since seasons 1&2. I will lead a personal Facebook rally to keep the show going. It’s rare when you get to see quality programming on T.V. Over 800 channels and there’s never anything on. Series like Lie to Me, Fringe, True Blood, Big Love, Sons of Anarchy are why we pay 200 bucks a month for cable. They should have 10 season runs. In my opinion Big Love as quality series, is up there with the Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Moonlighting. Great TV! Not quite the Hooneymooners Golden 39 or M.A.S.H. but it will be sorely missed by it’s fans. There is nothing like it on tv, it can not be replaced. It probably will be imitated poorly, over sexualizing the relationships, dumbing down the existensial and theological messages. Sensationalize the cult angle, add more graphic and violent depictions of the abuses of polygamy groups; basically just f up the whole concept of the show on another station. BOO! Keep Big Love as is, beautiful, short on style but heavy on substance. My wives and I will always be loyal fans……. Just kidding, long live the Hendricksons!

4. Bopfan says:

Anyone know who performed “Peace in the Valley” at the end of the 3/13 episode?

5. Bopfan says:

I am thinking that it is Sister Rosetta Tharpe.

Any other possibilities?

6. Tommy says:

I also love that song. I still can’t find who sings it but Sister Rosetta Tharpe comes close to the artist

7. Buffy Freak says:

While this season is better than the mess that was last season, it’s all still kind of a mess. As someone else noted, after all of Bill’s talk about lockdown, the three wives all go to eat subs with Bill late at night? And leaving all the kids home with who exactly? Ben? Cara Lynn? And this is the day after Bill and Barb had a run-in with Albie at the store in Juniper Creek? Really ridiculous.

8. charlie smith says:

I am glad other people wondered why the three wives just showed up at the capital together in the middle of the night leaving the children alone. We all know after this scene the series will end at the last moment with all of the family together holding hands singing kum bai ya. All of these HBO series lead us on and then end lame. Remember “Sopranos”. That series ended with everyone eating hamburgers or pizza or whatever. As always with HBO, this series will end lame and lazy.

9. Tracey says:

I’m getting worried since there’s only 1 episode left, how on earth everything’s going to get wrapped up. I’ve had to suspend my creduility on more than one occasion this year, but it’s still worth it. The shoot-out was ridiculous, and you knew it was coming the way Margene suddenly announced “I”M GOING TO THE LADIES’ ROOM” has anyone every done that on the show, no LOL it was kind of a heads up! Can’t wait to see the finale!