Pilot Scoop: Scott Foley to Play Doctor for CBS

This is going to put a serious crimp in Teddy and Henry’s “marriage” on Grey’s Anatomy: Scott Foley is set to play Christine Lahti’s son in the CBS drama pilot The Doctor.

Foley — who is currently recurring as Kim Raver’s spouse of convenience on the ABC hit — will costar on Doctor as David, a cocky cardiologist and the son of Lahti’s lead character.

Doctor, written by Everwood/Privileged vet Rina Mimoun, centers on a mother (Lahti) who reconnects with her adult children when she joins the family medical practice.

Also joining the cast is The Good Wife‘s Michael Boatman. He’ll play the Chief of Staff at the hospital where Lahti’s character will complete her residency who becomes both her mentor and advocate as she re-enters the workforce.

Comments (31)

• So… we just had to watch this boring storyline with Teddy this season all for nothing? There’s not going to be some pay-off, like the two will fall in love?

Comment by Dominique – March 11, 2011 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i dont see this pilot making it to air CBS doesnt have many open spots for Drama and really do you think a show called “The Doctor” is gonna be a hit? Hey you never know but i doubt it

Comment by ggny – March 11, 2011 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s pretty clear you don’t have a clue about programming and what slots are and aren’t available. As for the title. It works on a couple of levels.

Comment by Rowan – March 11, 2011 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Exactly. Everything about this pilot screams bland and formulaic–sure to be canceled. It’s a shame Foley is joining because Teddy and Henry are so cute, but now they’re probably going to kill him off!

Comment by Alicia – March 11, 2011 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I guess this means that he is going to croak on Grey’s Anatomy.

Comment by Lucia – March 11, 2011 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Scott Foley is the only reason I’m still watching Grey’s. I keep hoping his character’s story will take center stage. As that is not likely to happen, I’m glad he’s getting a lead on another show.

Comment by Beth – March 14, 2011 06:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope he is taking Teddy with him!

Comment by lara – March 11, 2011 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No! Because then Cristina would only get more scenes with Owen! What a nightmare.

Comment by xav – March 11, 2011 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Word. Cristina could get pregnant (referring to the BI) and decide not to keep it (if you know what I’m saying…), which would probably be the last straw for Owen–then he can leave!

Comment by Alicia – March 11, 2011 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Again, too much Teddy!!

Comment by steph – March 11, 2011 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Somehow, this adds a disappointment to Grey’s Anatomy this season to me however. Uneven plots are around this season to my eyes.

Comment by Erlangga – March 11, 2011 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with Laura – he needs to take Teddy with him.

Comment by Kiki – March 11, 2011 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aww, that’s too bad. I was screaming at my computer ‘Please be Owen and Cristina, please be Owen and Cristina’. Maybe next season they can get divorced and we’ll never have to see Owen Hunt again.

Comment by xav – March 11, 2011 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Next season will probably be the last for Grey’s Anatomy so you won’t have to worry about seeing ANYONE. Careful what you wish for. ;)

Comment by LizardQueen – March 11, 2011 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think that there will be a Season 9. ABC just signed Tony Phelan and Joan Rater to a two year exclusive deal tied to Grey’s Anatomy. They will serve as No. 2 to Shonda Rhimes and will run the writers’ room. A two year deal will take us into a Season 9.

Comment by Lucia – March 12, 2011 09:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • get rid of arizona i wish they would. and take callie i used to like her. ahh i loved christine on jack an bobby, they really need to put that show on dvd

Comment by lorna – March 11, 2011 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to admit, when I first read that headline on Twitter I was “Oh no not Cristina/Owen”. So I am thankful it isn’t them because I love Owen and Cristina. As for Scott Foley I love him as an actor but could careless about his GA character. I really hope he takes Teddy with him, seriously.

Comment by lisa – March 11, 2011 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good riddance, I would be very happy if Teddy and Henry are no longer on my screen. I want to see more Mer/Der and Cris/Owen. The first part of S7 when they were the main focus the show was getting really good again, and then they went haywire after xmas hiatus focusing on characters I could careless about.

Comment by Annie – March 11, 2011 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, so you people don’t really like any character on Grey’s now???

I’m sad that Michael Boatman will be leaving The Good Wife, I’ve grown to love him on the show. But I understand, regular status beats recurring in terms of $$$.

Still, I don’t see The Doctor going to series. This is CBS we’re talking about and anything that’s not a cop procedural (namely, ONLY The Good Wife) struggles immensely. Too bad too, because the show sounds interesting.

Comment by abc123 – March 11, 2011 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yeah. i pretty much like noone on Grey’s anymore. The writers have made the characters so stupid and unlikeable- they get flightier every season, have sex with anything that moves without protection, are so self absorbed that their patients suffer…. i’m sorry but it’s very had to take them seriously as doctors and to care about them as people. The Doctor show does sound bland and boring so it should fit in on CBS perfectly.

Comment by jj – March 11, 2011 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad it’s not Owen and Cristina. LOVE them together. I want to see more of them interacting instead of all the time they waste on characters like Teddy that I just can’t even stand. I wish Teddy would just leave. She has no chemistry with Henry, but she doesn’t have chemistry with anyone, so he should definitely take her with him. She’s just awful.

Comment by Kelly – March 11, 2011 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OF COURSE, it’s going to be a show about a doctor. Why would it be a show about anything but a doctor?

Comment by Dw. Dunphy – March 11, 2011 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Scott he looks like good people

Comment by Vince – March 11, 2011 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh please, he can do both shows. Besides in GA he is dying. The disease he has will kill him. And for the love of sanity: GA started out as a show about Meredith and he life as an intern which over the seasons turned out into something so much more than that… It actually is for the better cuz mer der storylines would have gotten old very quickly!!!!!!!!!! Face it, Teddy, Arizona, Callie and all d new ppl r here to stay and mite outlive mer and der.

Comment by shuayb – March 12, 2011 03:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SPOILER! Where the f is your spoiler warning re: GA fans?

Comment by A. M. – March 12, 2011 05:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d be sorry to see Scott Foley leave GA (if it comes to that…this new show is only a pilot at this point) as he’s so adorable that he’s managed to make Teddy bearable, which is a stunning turn of events.

Regardless, I absolutely agree with the comment that GA is at it’s best when Mer/Der and Cristina/Owen (plus Alex…basically the Remaining Three Interns) anchor the show with the other characters in more supporting roles.

Love, love, love Cristina and Owen together. They are my favorite TV Couple ever. Hopefully we’ll see more of them in the final episodes of the season. They are magical together.

And it’s true. Next season could well be the last for GA, so we need to enjoy it while we can.

Comment by LMSO – March 12, 2011 06:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope the show works, I really do like Christine Lathi, she’s a good actress. It seems Michael Boatman is everywhere these days, gossip girl, the goodwife, now the doctor, as for grey’s I think the show has run long enough, the actors are good, but the personal stories suck. I don’t like owen & christina, teddy w/anybody (girl is weird looking), Arizona & Callie not working for me, not a fan of bisexual characters. Scott Foley (fine, fine, fine).

Comment by yic – March 12, 2011 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I do think that there will be a Season 9 of Grey’s because ABC recently signed Joan Rater and Tony Phelan to a two year exclusive deal tied to Grey’s Anatomy, which would take them into a Season 9.

Comment by Lucia – March 12, 2011 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s a shame because I really like Scott Foley in Grey’s but they already have too many characters, they don’t need any more regulars. The new show does not sound very appealing. Sounds kind of low energy. But maybe it won’t be. Christine Lahti is excellent. And I’m hoping for a season 9 of Grey’s as well. I’m not ready to see the series go.

Comment by babygate – March 12, 2011 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love scott foley, so I hate to say this, but I really hope this pilot bombs and is not picked up for 2 reasons: 1. we don’t need any more medical dramas, we have enough of them. To be honest, Off The Map is one too many. 2. I love his character on Grey’s and I think they can do a lot with him.

Comment by Troy – March 12, 2011 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ouch! I love Teddy & Henry. A lot of Grey’s fan was on the hype because of the season finale. Please don’t kill Henry at Grey’s.

Comment by ruth – May 22, 2011 02:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post