One Tree Hill Vs. Hellcats: Vote for Your Fave as the 'Renew Our Show' Tourney Rages On!

In the blue corner, the grizzled veteran of eight seasons…One Tree Hill! In the red corner, the perky freshman upstart…Hellcats! Only one of these CW series will survive their bloody matchup, which is part of the first annual “Renew Our Show!” Sweet 16 Bracket Tournament. Ladies and gentlemen…let’s get ready to rummmmblllllllle!!!

So what’s brought these series to blows? Well, ’tis the season when network execs decide which percolating pilots and which existing series will find a home on their 2011-2012 schedules. (If you’re worried about the status of anything currently on your DVR “series-recording” lineup, don’t miss our regularly updated Renewal Scorecard feature.) And that’s where our tournament comes in. “Renew Our Show!” features 16 existing series currently in on-the-bubble limbo; we left out the sure-fire pickups (like The Good Wife, Supernatural, and Bones) and those to which the Grim Reaper has already paid a visit (we’ll miss you, Medium!).

‘Brothers & Sisters’ Vs. ‘Harry’s Law’ in Day Three of the ‘Renew Our Show’ Tournament

Every weekday at 1 p.m. ET for the next three weeks, you’ll be able to vote in polls to help narrow down the field. Click here to see the entire bracket (then click again on the image for a zoomed-in view). As you can see, NBC’s Chuck has already battled its way into Round Two (vanquishing Fox’s Human Target).

And now you’ve got to decide between a long-running, occasionally outrageous soap opera and a teenage cheerleading drama. Polls will be open for 72 hours, so do your civic duty, then hit the comments to justify your vote, and head to Facebook and Twitter to whip your fellow fanboys and fangirls into a frenzy. And to get alerted to all future “Renew Our Show” showdowns, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV. Now ready, set, vote!

Comments (260)

• One Tree Hill needs to return for a ninth season. those who claim to be oth fans but don’t want it to continue are just hypocrites. you can’t say you’ve watched the show from the beginning and honestly believe that it has “run out of ideas.” they went through high school, skipped four years of college and are still running strong with decent ratings. people who have watched it this season have loved it so don’t say you’re a true oth fan cause you’re not. i could argue for hours on this. mark schwahn is incredible and if he gets a ninth season he can do amazing things. you don’t know if the cast would want to stay on. all they need to do is settle contract issues. so don’t speak for them. none of them have made any announcements except in interviews where most of them seem to be on board. i’ve watched oth since season 1 and i can honestly say i’m a true fan. i’ll watch it till the end no matter what happens. and i know there are many people just like me out there, but to those of you who don’t support season 9, don’t call yourself a “true fan” anymore cause you’re not. and you’re insulting us who would do anything to keep the show one more season.

Comment by asdfghjkl – March 11, 2011 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i agree with everything you said!

Comment by danielle – March 11, 2011 08:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Everyone I just listen One Tree Hill Will be renewed for a Season 9 and might be renewed for a Season 10 We are not sure what the CW Network will say I Vote One Tree Hill not Hellcats Everyone Just vote for One Tree Hill not Hellcats Mark need to pull another Rabbit out of the hat so One Tree Hill can be renewed again Mark and The CW President want’s to come back and do more with the show and make more stories ONE TREE HILL IS INCREDIBLE SEASON 9 and Season 10 will be divine

Comment by Erin Thompson – March 11, 2011 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Have to vote for OTH as it has been the most inspiring show I have ever watched and will hate to see it go. (as I am sure it will after this season) However, for all you OTH fans out there you can get your memory kicks by watching Hellcats. Marty=Peyton Savannah=Brooke Dan=Lucas. Dan dates Savannah but is actually in love with Marty… OTH much?? I’ve also seen Hellcats have musical artists preform on the show as part of a storyline. OTH much?? Its almost like OTH will live on through other CW shows, as it has been one of the most successful shows for the network!!

Comment by Emilie – March 11, 2011 08:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wasn’t this suppose to be OTH’s last season? I thought that was the plan when it was renewed last year. Let it end. Renew Hellcats.

Comment by Liz – March 11, 2011 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you guys want to support a ninth season of One Tree Hill, sign this petition! http://www.thepetitionsite.com/2/one-tree-hill-season-9/

Comment by OTH9SEASON – March 11, 2011 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously, OTH needs to retire. It’s been nice…sometimes…to know you. Goodbye.

Comment by Rachel – March 11, 2011 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Hellcats isn’t canceled this year, it will be next season. OTH has beat the odds against network changes and major cast members leaving. They have staying power and a solid fanbase. They could go to 9 or 10 seasons and finish out like Beverly Hills, 90210 did. Hellcats just doesn’t have “umph” – it doesn’t have “staying” power. It doesn’t even had what OTH had in its first season. To bring back Hellcats for one season over OTH having basically a decade finale – being a show that COULD do it – would be a waste.

Comment by Courtney – March 11, 2011 09:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh Hellcats fans, if your show gets cancelled, just watch OTH — the two male leads were both on it!

Comment by Krenee – March 11, 2011 09:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, true, but one was a psycho and the other died. hahaha

Comment by asdfghjkl – March 12, 2011 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I voted for Hellcats. I liked OTH for the first six seasons, but the last two have been a huge disappointment. Having eight seasons is pretty impressive; I don’t think OTH needs another one.

Comment by Andrea – March 11, 2011 09:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hellcats! It’s new and fresh

Comment by Trew – March 11, 2011 10:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m voting for OTH! I have loved OTH since the start. There’s a reason it’s lasted 8 years, because it is just simply that amazing. I doubt Helcats will last that long. I do think that for the last season, which it be Season 8 or 9, bring all the old characters back. That would be great.

Comment by Lea B – March 11, 2011 11:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One Tree Hill !!!!!

Comment by Constance – March 11, 2011 11:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One Tree Hill will always get my vote. This show means so much to me and has been a big part of my life. I know it won’t go on forever, but I’m not ready to see it go yet…

Comment by stacey – March 12, 2011 12:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OTH – cause despite what Aus thinks – it has proven to be a show that can keep it’s core story going even with comings and goings. Would much rather see this long running show continue to re-invent itself as well as it has then the characters on Hellcats I just can’t connect with as a viewer.

ONE TREE HILL should continue to give CW the loyal viewers the network needs.

Comment by Michele – March 12, 2011 12:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. One Tree Hill might not have a large viewership…..but it’s viewers are there. It might be a surprise every season it’s picked up, but the fact that it’s survived 8 years and currently only have 3 original main cast members left.

Comment by JDHetherington – March 12, 2011 02:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There’s onLy oNe TRee hiLL!!!!!!!!!! OTH4ever!!!!!

Comment by toby – March 12, 2011 02:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Neither. I love OTH and I’ve been a fan for 8 years, but it’s the perfect time to wrap it up. I’m not sure I can take one more season, honestly. Too much of something isn’t good. We’ve had 8 great seasons and that’s enough :)

I don’t want Hellcats to be renewed either. It’s just copying OTH really. ._.

Comment by Michelle – March 12, 2011 03:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hellcats :)

Comment by Jackie – March 12, 2011 06:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ONE TREE HILL RULES !!!

Comment by Sara – March 12, 2011 06:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i WANT ANOTHER OTH SEASON AS LONG AS THERE’S A LOT OF NALEY SCENES WITH SOLID STORYLINES I AM FOR IT!

Comment by HALEYJAMES – March 12, 2011 07:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OTH FTW!I love and am still to this day addicted to the show.Naley rules!

Comment by alwaysandforever – March 12, 2011 07:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One Tree Hill, Most definitely. Not even a question, I’ve been watching for 8 years and I still love it. Season 10? I don’t know, but most definitely a season 8 to properly tie it up. Something they can’t just do this season… not with four more episodes left. So ONE TREE HILL!!!

Comment by Cassidy – March 12, 2011 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think is so funny how the characters on hellcats try so hard to be hot and they are ugly as hell. But In one tree hill they don’t even need to try and they are all stunningly beautiful. ONE TREE HILL all the way! Hellcats is for wanna-be’s.

Comment by Luke – March 12, 2011 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • so true so true hellcats cast are trying so hard to be sexy and beautiiful OTH cast they are stunning the ravens cheerleaders are adorable and all pretty and the ravens bball team are hot and trust i have seen movies and shows with cheerleaders and jocks OTH team they are not a cliche peyton was a dark artistic,haley was intelligent bookworm,brooke has a heart and is actually deep they are cheerleaders yet diverse.The star Bball captain nathan married the love of his life,emancipated and turned out to be this wonderful man and Lucas just as intelligent and talented and is’nt perfect.They co existed together and not loose who they are!I love it!

Comment by mimosa – March 13, 2011 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just because Hellcats is new doesn’t mean that it’s good. A show that has had 8 seasons means that it’s good.

Comment by steph – March 12, 2011 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My vote is for one tree hill!!! Love that show. I tried to get into hellcats for a few months but I couldn’t, it’s pretty terrible. Though I will say that I like Ashley tisdale more now.

Comment by Lisa – March 12, 2011 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One tree hill of course!!!
    Hellcats sucks, there is no story, I mean it’s very boring to watch!
    And for a first season, it’s really sad to make only 1 million viewers ;)

Comment by Gui – March 12, 2011 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My Favorite is One Tree Hill… I Want 9ª season. ” The Invasion de Tree Hill”.

Comment by Josekun Pardo – March 12, 2011 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOL, I like Beth’s comment, “where is the neither button?”. Hilarious!! But I choose Hell frakkin Cats!!!!.

Comment by yic – March 12, 2011 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OTH

Comment by alison – March 12, 2011 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GO HELLCATS!
    One Tree Hill is so boring now…

Comment by Fabiana – March 12, 2011 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want and need One Tree Hill (OTH) !!!!! It’s my fav show ever<3

Comment by Cathrine Gudmundsen – March 12, 2011 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OTH stick with it… It’s helped us through the hard times and it’s always been there!! OTH OTH!!!!

Comment by Megan – March 12, 2011 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ONE TREE HILL… Should have a season 9.. ONE TREE HILL IS LEGIT!!!!!

Comment by Olivia – March 12, 2011 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i love one tree hill, it inspires me and gives me everything that i need. ONE TREE HILL. end of sentence

Comment by kris10 – March 12, 2011 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One Tree Hill has had its time in the spotlight. It is time for something new and Hellcats is it. I love the juicy drama of Hellcats I really hope it stays!

Comment by Beth – March 12, 2011 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • couldn’t keep watching OTH after chad and hilery left, the show should have ended after season 6. so i give my vote to hellcats

Comment by maayanelson – March 12, 2011 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • France love OTH, France need OTH

One Tree Hill should get a season 9

This show have a huge french fan support

Comment by clem – March 12, 2011 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OTH. Hellcats was painful to watch it was very long and drawn out. OTH pulls you in each episode.

Comment by Jacky – March 12, 2011 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m addicted to OTH! Please renew it!! :(

Comment by L – March 12, 2011 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t watch either of these, but cmon, One Tree Hill has had enough time on the air. That show was past it’s prime in like season 3.

Comment by Justin – March 12, 2011 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Screw hell cats!

Comment by Jessie – March 12, 2011 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ONE TREE HILL all the way!!

Comment by Ashlynn – March 12, 2011 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One Tree Hill!! Obviously they are the best.. Look how well it’s done & will continue to do!!

Comment by Trey – March 12, 2011 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One Tree Hill!! Go to HELL cats!!

Comment by Brittany – March 12, 2011 08:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One Tree Hill of course!!

Comment by Evelyn – March 12, 2011 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post