One Tree Hill Vs. Hellcats: Vote for Your Fave as the 'Renew Our Show' Tourney Rages On!

In the blue corner, the grizzled veteran of eight seasons…One Tree Hill! In the red corner, the perky freshman upstart…Hellcats! Only one of these CW series will survive their bloody matchup, which is part of the first annual “Renew Our Show!” Sweet 16 Bracket Tournament. Ladies and gentlemen…let’s get ready to rummmmblllllllle!!!

So what’s brought these series to blows? Well, ’tis the season when network execs decide which percolating pilots and which existing series will find a home on their 2011-2012 schedules. (If you’re worried about the status of anything currently on your DVR “series-recording” lineup, don’t miss our regularly updated Renewal Scorecard feature.) And that’s where our tournament comes in. “Renew Our Show!” features 16 existing series currently in on-the-bubble limbo; we left out the sure-fire pickups (like The Good Wife, Supernatural, and Bones) and those to which the Grim Reaper has already paid a visit (we’ll miss you, Medium!).

‘Brothers & Sisters’ Vs. ‘Harry’s Law’ in Day Three of the ‘Renew Our Show’ Tournament

Every weekday at 1 p.m. ET for the next three weeks, you’ll be able to vote in polls to help narrow down the field. Click here to see the entire bracket (then click again on the image for a zoomed-in view). As you can see, NBC’s Chuck has already battled its way into Round Two (vanquishing Fox’s Human Target).

And now you’ve got to decide between a long-running, occasionally outrageous soap opera and a teenage cheerleading drama. Polls will be open for 72 hours, so do your civic duty, then hit the comments to justify your vote, and head to Facebook and Twitter to whip your fellow fanboys and fangirls into a frenzy. And to get alerted to all future “Renew Our Show” showdowns, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV. Now ready, set, vote!

Comments (260)

• Hellcats…

Comment by D. – March 11, 2011 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. I stopped watching OTH after the second episode of season 7. In my opinion, it should’ve ended in season 6, if not 4.

Comment by Miranda – March 15, 2011 12:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • HELLCATS!!!! i love this show and to be honest if one trill hill goes another season im gonna freak!!! dawsons creek was a better show and only lasted 6 seasons …

Comment by Tabitha – May 17, 2011 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i love OTH! but hellcats is fresh.. and more exciting! hope they’re not faced against each other. i would love for them to both be renewed!

Comment by she – March 11, 2011 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree with you!! ive been a fan of OTH since the begining and i love it but Hellcats is new and has a lot of potential to be a great show !!

Comment by Katy – March 23, 2011 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hellcats! Hell to the yeah!

Comment by HellcatsTV – March 11, 2011 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OTH needs to retire…really.

Comment by Tiva4Life – March 11, 2011 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As much as I love One Tree Hill, it’s beginning to lose what made it great. Let it burn out bright.

Just for that reason alone, my vote goes to Hellcats. It’s time for another show to have it’s chance

Comment by Steve – March 11, 2011 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love both.

A part of me would love to see an announced “final season” of OTH to do exactly what Smallville did this year and bring back old characters. Which OTH didn’t do even though they knew it could be their last.

On the other hand, Hellcats deserves a chance, it would be doing a lot better on another network.

Just because it’s The CW, people won’t give their shows a chance.

Comment by Jamie – March 11, 2011 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While I have loved OTH from the start I think it may have ran it’s course. I voted for Hellcats because it’s a spunky little show that I think has some potential where as OTH may be over the hill

Comment by amy – March 11, 2011 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They both suck.

Comment by Jenny – March 11, 2011 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, where’s the ‘neither’ button?

Comment by Beth – March 11, 2011 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • my thoughts exactly.

Comment by natasha – March 11, 2011 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • theres an exit button to get off the page if you don’t like the shows … stop hating and get off.

Comment by unknown – March 11, 2011 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I know. What are people aruging about. Both shows suck. OTH because it’s been on so long, it’s dried up. Hellcats because well…it just sucks.

Comment by Lucy – March 14, 2011 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • just like in March Madness NCAA basketball, there is NO SUCH THING as a “neither” in brackets.
      get over it and just don’t vote.

Comment by flutiefan – March 11, 2011 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree!

Comment by Trace – March 11, 2011 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • agreed. CW needs to step up their game and take some shot on non reboot pilots

Comment by iva dj – March 12, 2011 12:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’d agree but I’m gaga for Nikita. :D

Comment by Lol – March 14, 2011 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @jenny

Perfect response to two dreadful shows….+100

Comment by JimC – March 12, 2011 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oth had had its time honestly I like this show but I prefer some new blood so Hellcats!

Comment by Muse78 – March 11, 2011 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The final for this should be Chuck vs. Fringe with the outcome being a 50% to 50% TIE because both shows ROCK and deserve to renewed.

Comment by Breck – March 11, 2011 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Couldn’t agree more!

Comment by josh – March 11, 2011 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wonder if FRINGE is too expensive for WB. If WB wants to dump a low rated series without having to launch 3 new series to fill the void, Fringe would be an easy slot-in. Pair it with Supernatural and that whole Fringe vs. Supernatural debate can evaporate.

Comment by John Berggren – March 11, 2011 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You do realize The WB hasn’t existed since 2006?

Comment by Steven – March 11, 2011 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • John is referring to the company Warner Bros… which produces Fringe. Not the tv channel.

Comment by Gaby G – March 11, 2011 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Eh.. you’re both half right. I did mean the CW – but I still think of it as the WB. However, my point is that if Fringe could keep its numbers over at CW, it would be a boon for that channel. Given that it’s a WB produced series, WB would get the ancillary benefit of boosting the episode count to a syndication friendly range and sell more DVDs & Blu-rays.

Comment by John Berggren – March 11, 2011 12:30 PM PDT
  • I like both. If we are looking to cancel show then I pick “Amer Nxt Top Model”

Comment by N – March 11, 2011 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I disagree that OTH has run its course. There are not many shows that constantly reinvent themselves year after year. OTH started out as a teen drama and has not only graduated to being an adult drama, but has also effortlessly allowed its cast to grow. The characters have history and maturity. It is also one of the rare shows that melds drama and comedy. I’d love to see the show stick around for another year to follow Nathan’s new career path, Brooke’s being a first time mom and see little Jamie continue to mature. It might also be nice to follow up on some of the characters that have left Tree Hill over the years. Maybe we could have a Tree Hill high school reunion!!!

Comment by trista – March 11, 2011 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with trista 100%.

Comment by Cass – March 11, 2011 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, trista. OTH, while still a bit soapy, has definitely gotten better over the years and has really grown on me. And I appreciate that that they make fun of themselves and seem to have a good time (example, the Lucas mannequin). I don’t know if it has more than one good season left in it, but I at least hope it knows when the end is coming and gets a chance to wrap everything up.

Comment by Kris – March 11, 2011 09:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Couldn’t agree more. This is the first year that I’d actually be happy and content with the show ending without hysterically crying, but I’d love it to continue more than anything.

Comment by Erin – March 12, 2011 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But that’s the thing, One Tree Hill has not been “reinventing” itself every year. They just use the same storylines with different characters. Brooke got her happy ending, that’s all that matters. Nathan and Haley have a baby boy and girl, one big happy family. Peyton and Lucas already rode off into the sunset. Clay and Quinn suck. Dan has kind of redeimed himself. Mia is going to make more music. Alex is joinging her. Millie and Mouth are happy again. Why ruin that?

Hellcats is fresh, upbeat and needs more of a chance. Why cancel it after one season? Give it more of a chance. It’s already amazing!

Comment by Livie – March 13, 2011 07:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Only if OTH got good again like it was in yesteryear, then yes, I don’t know about hellcats, but i still have hope that Lucas might come back, with a lone raven in the sky, bringing happiness to us all.

Comment by Dominic – March 11, 2011 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hellcats!!’n

Comment by Andie1391 – March 11, 2011 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think I may be one of the few people left who loves OTH without reservations. To me, this show is like a warm, comfy blanket… If the blanket was full of crazy drama. I love the characters, including the new ones. I dont miss Peyton & Lucas at all. Most of the time all they did was depress the mess out of me. So, long-live One Tree Hill!

Comment by Quey – March 11, 2011 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree OTH is comfortable and there is not other show like it out there. A lot of people find it stupid but I find it to be part of my family. My mom and I watch it together and I have visited Wilmington and met cast members. I hope if this is the last season they wrap it up with dignity like they have with seasons 4 and 6 cause both of those were great series finales which I felt we all could have moved on from very well. But I would also kind of like us to at least get 200 episodes..

Comment by Steph – March 15, 2011 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hellcats!

Comment by Andrea – March 11, 2011 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One Tree Hill is the better show by far. Hellcats is a shallow show all about appearance. One Tree Hill has heart and soul. It makes me laugh and it makes me cry. It can never end. And the actors are far hotter than anyone in hell cats with out even trying.

Comment by Hannah – March 11, 2011 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OTH season 9 will be no good because Joy, Sophia and Austin are done season 8. Joy will be killed off so there’s no Naley in season 9.
      I think season 9 is not worth it!

Comment by skyler – March 11, 2011 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No. Joy said she will be with One Tree Hill to the end in an article, so you’re wrong. And one of my friend went to a tour and austin was like “If we do get another season, it’s no longer Brooke’s house” So he sounds pretty down to me. So you’re wrong. They will be there if there’s another season. They just have to renew their contracts.

Comment by Jessica Newtons – March 11, 2011 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They won’t kill Haley off cause the network won’t let them. Most likely they’d force James out off the show like Mark forced Hilarie out after Chad left.

Comment by M – March 11, 2011 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Who said joy was getting killed off?? Your crazy..
        And whoever said they would out James.. I don’t think so.. I also don’t believe that mark made her leave.. I think it was her choice but without Chad there would have been no point for Hilarie to stay without him. James is the only one left from the original storyline well you know the storyline about the 2 brothers…
        I’m wanting and not wanting a season 9. I think that The Cw should renew it because if they don’t they are losing 2 of their veteran wb series (Shows from before the wb becamse the cws) Which means they maybe losing a lot of viewers cause honestly all of the cws shows besides Smallville OTH and Supernatural Suck..

Comment by Steph – March 15, 2011 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Who said joy was getting killed off?? Your crazy..
        I’m wanting and not wanting a season 9. I think that The Cw should renew it because if they don’t they are losing 2 of their veteran wb series (Shows from before the wb became the cws) Which means they maybe losing a lot of viewers cause honestly all of the cws shows besides Smallville OTH and Supernatural Suck..

Comment by Steph – March 15, 2011 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL true and don’t forget the fact that Hellcats has some OTH actors! (psycho derek and Q)

Comment by A – March 12, 2011 09:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Uh, HELL TO THE NO. Get off your ‘One Tree Hill’ high horse and start to realise that the show is not as good as it use to be. Oh, and that little dig about the actors, not needed.

Comment by Livie – March 13, 2011 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Tree Hill and I voted for them but truth is they have to stop it this season and from what I am hearing from the spoiler sections is that the writers are considering the season finale as the biggest series finale ever so I am sure OTH wont return next season, but on their own terms since the show has better ratings than most other shows on the CW.

Comment by Ingmar – March 11, 2011 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While One Tree Hill is my favourite show, I want it to end on a high note. This season has blown me away and I want it to end that way so my vote goes to Hellcats.

Comment by Kris – March 11, 2011 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want one tree hill to be renewed I would like both to be pick up but if I have to choose one tree hill is my show. ONE TREE HILL all the way

Comment by Aleana – March 11, 2011 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • @Jamie – they tried to get Hilarie and Chad back. Hilarie said she wouldnt come back because it didnt fit into her schedule. Chad is filming a movie so I am assuming that is why he hasnt come back.

I dont watch Hellcats but it should be the winner. I love OTH but this season has been very flat and has proved that they just have NO ideas left. Let the new show continue on and dont put us OTH fans through more misery and boringness!

Comment by JeniLee – March 11, 2011 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love both shows and would be very upset if either one of them were not to be renewed. I think that OTH is getting even more interesting with the new babies and possible engagements. Hellcats is a great cheerleader show but I feel that it is completely different from OTH. If I had to choose I would choose OTH.

Comment by Nora – March 11, 2011 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to agree with the Hellcats vote. I love OTH, but this season has been pretty disappointing. Nathan and Haley have no real storyline, and the only good characters are Brooke and Alex. It has, sadly, run its course. Unless Lucas comes back, the show will continue to lose ratings. Meanwhile, Hellcats is funny, it has drama, it has a good storyline, and more importantly, it is bringing in good ratings. Hellcats it is…

Comment by Janelle – March 11, 2011 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My choice would be One Tree Hill, they have grown so much! Just like Smallville I would love them to have a official series finale. For me that would be after 10 seasons. OTH all the way!!

Comment by Christa – March 11, 2011 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hellcats))

Comment by lili – March 11, 2011 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t particularly care much about either show, but I feel like One Tree Hill has been around long enough. If it’s dying out, then it probably has worn itself out. With Hellcats I can still pretend to give it the benefit of the doubt and assume that it’s just under appreciated.

Comment by Brian – March 11, 2011 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NEITHER.

Comment by Mursal – March 11, 2011 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I voted for the Hellcats because let’s face it, we had enough of OTH.

Comment by L. – March 11, 2011 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve never watched One Tree Hill, not even once. I like Hellcats though, which came as a shock to me, given the subject matter and show location. It’s the kind of show that is deceptively addicting, with appealing, realistic characters. It deserves a chance to build an audience.

Comment by mgb – March 11, 2011 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One tree hill just cause we deserve to have a final season like Smallville does

Comment by steph – March 11, 2011 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One Tree Hill will forever remain one of my favourite shows however I feel it has run it’s course and is ready to finish so I voted Hellcats.

Comment by Aimee – March 11, 2011 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love OTH, but I think it is time for it to end and for the actors to go on and find new shows or whatever they want.

Comment by Tracy – March 11, 2011 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ONE TREE HILL

Comment by Brooke – March 11, 2011 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MORE HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLCATS!!!!!!!!!!!!! <333

Comment by PEPPE – March 11, 2011 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One Tree Hill all the way

Comment by CE – March 11, 2011 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hellcats isn’t the best show on the CW but it’s better than the tired old One Tree Hill.

OTH should have been cancelled years ago. They are out of story and none of the original cast wants to come back next season anyway. Letting them go would free up a chunk of change that could be put into new shows.

Comment by Ang – March 11, 2011 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hellcats !!! Is the Best Showw EVER !!! :D

Comment by Pedro – March 11, 2011 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OTH needs to end. I’ve watched for 8 years and they’ve clearly run out of ideas. Contracts are expiring. Joy, Sophia, and Austin are done after this season. Joy just had a baby and wants to move back to Washington to be with her family. James is apparently 50-50. What characters are left? Who wants to watch a show where Nathan/Haley were split up after spending 8 years together? Who wants to watch a show where Clay, Quinn, Mouth, and Millicent take center stage? Face it peeps, it’s over.

At least Hellcats has some life left in it.

Comment by M – March 11, 2011 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Joy said she’ll ride it to the end in an interview, and during the tour Austin was like “If we do get another season, it’s no longer brookes house” He joked. So, you’re wrong, he sounded pretty down to me. OTH FOREVER!

Comment by Jessica Newtons – March 11, 2011 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Joy said she’d be there to the end of the season. She was referring to leaving after the first 13 because of her maternity leave. Not for Season 9 and beyond. She just gave birth and wants to be with her family in Washington. She already gave up so much for this show and she’s not gonna sign another 2 year contract extension. Austin will go wherever Sophia does. They’re not gonna keep Julian around without Brooke anyway. Maybe you better do your research into the OTH fandom. Lots of info out there. I don’t care if you believe me, but I know what I’m talking about.

Comment by M – March 11, 2011 08:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • listen, you don’t know them. they haven’t said anything about s9 except that their contracts are up this season. don’t speak for them because you don’t know what they’re thinking. yes, joy just had her baby but you have no idea what she wants. and how do you know sophia wants to go anywhere? none of them have said anything yet so don’t go off acting like you know what they want because you don’t.

Comment by asdfghjkl – March 12, 2011 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You don’t know what you’re talking about. Joy said she would remain until the end of Season 8 in response to rumors that she would leaving halfway to have her baby. You’re misconstruing her words into her saying she’ll be there until the last episode of the series if s9 is granted.

Comment by anon – March 13, 2011 07:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I think she’ll be there;) but if not I think we all would understand, but I think joy would stick it through.

Comment by channelle – March 13, 2011 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have high hope for oth s9 they HAVE TO! Lol

Comment by stephanie – March 11, 2011 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Hellcats needs to go on! I really like this show, It is creative, fresh and has a great plot. It’s time to renew something different and also we need something newer!

Comment by American Dream – March 11, 2011 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hellcats is new but it isn’t all that good
    SO ONE TREE HILL BABY

Comment by Jason – March 11, 2011 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still love one tree hill but its been on for so long and hellcats is new and exciting i really hope they renew hellcats

Comment by Anna – March 11, 2011 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i thoroughly enjoy the drama and dance and fun that is Hellcats!

Comment by flutiefan – March 11, 2011 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NO! Hellcats is the best show … CW can not cut Hellcats ..
    We love! Do not cut this CW Hellcats please! :(
    If you cut Hellcats reason for me not to turn the TV on Tuesdays!

Comment by Letícia – March 11, 2011 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a OTH fan but I voted for Hellcats. OTH needs to end

Comment by skyler – March 11, 2011 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hellcats, SURE!!!

Comment by ana – March 11, 2011 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • can we say cancel both. i use to love oth but put that show out of its misery please.

Comment by massiel – March 11, 2011 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hellcats

Comment by Jessica – March 11, 2011 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i agree with trista too, oth has not run its course at all, all the ppl that are oth fans and want it to end are just leyton fans. nothing more!

Comment by gemma – March 11, 2011 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love them both but save ONE TREE HILL! Show is incredible! Season 9 will be divine!

Comment by Abbie – March 11, 2011 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post