The Event On the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

By mid-May, the networks will make some tough calls as to which shows will return for the 2011-12 TV season, and which are dunzo. In addition to TVLine’s ongoing “Renew Our Show!” Bracket Tournament, we are singling out select “bubble” shows to size up their prospects. Today, we ask: Does NBC’s future look Event-ful?

THE SHOW: The Event (NBC)

THE TIME SLOT: Mondays at 9/8c; Season 1 finale set to air May 23.

Fox’s Lie To Me On the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

THE CASE FOR KEEPING: Oh, what a roller-coaster relationship I have had with The Event. Last fall, the best I could sum up its pilot for anyone was “42 minutes of unabashed sci-fi foreplay.” But I stuck with it, if only to confirm my suspicion that aliens had detoured a jetliner’s beeline for President Blair Underwood. Then, the series showed hints of crackling with a 24-meets-Lost kind of intensity/complexity. As for the cast, I’m a fan of the aforementioned POTUS; Damages vet Zeljko Ivanek is always imminently watchable; it’s great to have ER‘s Laura Innes back on TV; and Sarah Roemer and Taylor Cole… well, they speak for themselves. And I have no doubt that the series creators have way cool places to take this story of non-aging ETs once held prisoner Guantanamo-style, but now freed and under the wing of am ambitious leader. That said…

Human Target On the Bubble: Keep or Cut?

THE CASE FOR CUTTING: Something is missing. That 24-flavored urgency comes and goes. I’ve all but lost track of the Jason Ritter storyline (though I did like Roemer calling him on the carpet this week for cutting back on intimacy upon learning she’s got an extra little extraterrestrial somethin’ in her). Sometimes I wonder if the canvas is too wide, too sprawling, to ably service all the subplots. (One week Ian Anthony Dale’s Simon is the focus, and then he all but fades into the woodwork.) And while this Thomas guy is sufficiently weaselly as the ETs’ megalomaniac leader… I don’t see Earth getting taken over by a mere weasel. (At least I don’t want to think that could happen, as long as Jersey Shore is on the air.)

Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Axed? What’s on the Bubble?

Hit the comments section to make your own case for keeping or cutting The Event.

1. Kat says:

I think this show is great but its always pitted against some tough competition from other networks. NBC needs to give a chance!

2. MARILYN says:

Keep it, its just starting to get really good.

3. lee says:

We are down to one busload of aliens, after the 44 killed in Alaska, all the bullets fired at various times, and the bus explosions. Unless a new crew is “portaled” in from NGC 253, we are running out of ET’s. It looks like a typical Verdi opera plot – just kill everybody and the show is over folks. I have the feeling the hiatus was designed to rewrite, give us an easy out and end the story. So far no attempt has been made to have a merger between humans and ET’s. Pres. Martinez doesn’t even try to negotiate peace.

4. Ken Trew says:

like it but the hiatus just about killed it….it’s more interesting than most of the stuff on tv….at least it makes you think unlike those mind-numbing reality shows.

5. Susie Nolan says:

I am getting pretty tired of the shows that start telling a complicated story, and just when you get into it and want to know more, they cancel it. Surface, Flashforward, Heros (loved Heros last season) Anyway The Event has too many things going on at once, and they are not tying much together very well. Example,Leila’s father, Michael, his wife murdered and daughters kidnapped by, Hal Holbrook,Dempsey, and not aliens right? So then what was up with the plane trying to kill the president? To put the VP in charge, right? Aliens saved the day by portaling the plane away, right? why aren’t the aliens looking for Dempsey? Why isn’t Michael looking to find Dempsey. The prison that the aliens were in was so impossible to get the aliens out, for say 60 years? But then all the sudden not so impossible? Geez. And Michael, married to a human, and has children he cares so much about, and yet, he now is willing to help kill so easily? This show isn’t Lost, and so they need to get with making more sence, before it goes the way of Surface, Flashforward, and countless other shows with no answers. I want to know if finding the little sister was so important, why no one cares where she is now, If the love story was so deep between Leila and Sean, how could they both give up so easily? Dempsey had all of those little girls to suck the life from them, so he could live longer? Why did he just seem to give up on that? Also what happened to those other little girls? The president was a good guy, and yet shooting a missle at those buses made him a bad guy. Vickey, was very bad, yet now she is good? Michael good, now bad? Sophia, good, bad? What the hell? I had wanted Sean to connect up with the President, but now?

6. Larry R. Thompson says:

Keep!

7. Rodger says:

This show reminds me too much of Lost. It was a great idea at first, but it became obvious very quickly that the writers had no clue as to where they were going after the first season, and it dragged on way too long. The Event was intriguing, but it has become just too stupid and predictable. We know Martinez will recover, and will punish the disloyal VP, Sophia’s plan to wip out life on earth with funky lungs from World War I will be disrupted after a handful of people die at the airport, and the Aliens will all die, and the USA will prevail. Big Whoop. If the Aliens do kill everyone and take over the world, it would be fun, but that ain’t gonna happen on NBC.

8. Joe-FLA says:

Keep the show. Its the best thing since Lost.

9. V J says:

I would prefer for The Event to stay on however if it is cancelled I hope they tie up all the loose ends first.

10. j Klassen says:

My husband and I LOVE this show. It is easy enough for us to follow, while maintaining a perfect level of mystery and intrigue with just the right amount of science fiction. The show is AWESOME! If it ends up dropped we are hoping another network picks it up and goes with it because it provides lot of fun entertainment with well developed characters, there is enough characters that are very likable and believable in the scheme of things. The enemies even manage to pull a bit at your sense of empathy for their situation. The whole time you are hoping for a peaceful resolve; while understanding how villainousness the aliens are becoming. This show presents and creates many levels of ideology. We hope it stays!!!

11. Jordan says:

The Event, I think, Is the best TV show today besides Dexter. It shouldn’t be cancled and these jerkoff reviewrs keep giving it terrible feedback. If you don’t like it, LEAVE IT ALONE!!! Don’t hate on it so much that it ruins the show for others!!